• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Checking in after a few years, rifle still works
D8340CCE-469B-43B4-BDFB-791E0DEB529F.jpeg

(That’s 5 @100)

155 Barnes match burners over 43g varget

478E2386-9878-4721-94E5-4A3E61B5F720.jpeg

Hasn’t been stock since day 1 but settled on this setup for a while now. Springco orange spring and standard weight rifle buffer cut out unnecessary recoil of the extra heavy stainless buffer I thought I “needed”.

This is a pretty low SN# and the shape of the brass deflector might have something to do with why I was chasing “overgassed” problems. It has the old bolt style with 1 ejector but that hasn’t hindered reliability.

I’ve yet to have a malfunction but only use Knight’s mags.

Last edited:
Can someone measure the distance from take down to pivot pin out side dimensions of their lower, then measure the diameter of each, (take-down and pivot) and PM me. I'm trying to finish a genesis machine lower. And measure it with a caliper please!

I am loving mine so far. I have only had time to shoot factory ammo with it so far though. That load looks good. Mine is the 16" stainless barrel.

Just ordered one of the South American contract overrun rifles. So this barrel change system- I can pull the barrel, and re-install it with the same tq on the two bolts, and it will retain it's zero?

Reactions: Jsp556
My LMT MWS 16" CL with Federal 168 grain GMM shoots 1-1'25 moa with a Nightforce NXS 3-15X50 scope on it. My LaRue OBR with the sam ammo but an NXS5.5-22 scope constantly shoots 0.7 to 0.5 moa. If you have the coin spend a save for the LaRue OBR or Predator you won't be sorry.

I own the LMT MWS 16" CL with PRS stock, NF 5.5-22X50 scope and Geissele SSA-E trigger. On good days it shoots 1-1.25 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. I also own an 18" LaRue OBR with the PRS stock, same scope and trigger as the LMT. It consistently shoots well under 0.75 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. I have never had a problem with either rifle. But if I could only have 1 of them it would be the LaRue OBR.

Well, your message is consistent!

CL versus stainless, I'm not surprised. Let's see how the OBR does a against a 20 inch 6.5CM MWS at 1200m in the wind ;)

Nice that you have the gear to make the comparison!

My LMT MWS 16" CL with Federal 168 grain GMM shoots 1-1'25 moa with a Nightforce NXS 3-15X50 scope on it. My LaRue OBR with the sam ammo but an NXS5.5-22 scope constantly shoots 0.7 to 0.5 moa. If you have the coin spend a save for the LaRue OBR or Predator you won't be sorry.

I own the LMT MWS 16" CL with PRS stock, NF 5.5-22X50 scope and Geissele SSA-E trigger. On good days it shoots 1-1.25 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. I also own an 18" LaRue OBR with the PRS stock, same scope and trigger as the LMT. It consistently shoots well under 0.75 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. I have never had a problem with either rifle. But if I could only have 1 of them it would be the LaRue OBR.

Well, your message is consistent!

CL versus stainless, I'm not surprised. Let's see how the OBR does a against a 20 inch 6.5CM MWS at 1200m in the wind ;)

Nice that you have the gear to make the comparison!

Did the dude post up targets? 1/2moa-even 3/4moa 5-shot groups out of a gasser is borderline amazing IMO. I'd be posting target after target here for all to see.

Just ordered one of the South American contract overrun rifles. So this barrel change system- I can pull the barrel, and re-install it with the same tq on the two bolts, and it will retain it's zero?

I held off on those-a complete MWS for $1799 is awesome. It's less than half of what I paid for my Sharpshooter.

As far as maintaining zero-instead of barrel swapping I've just been buying addition uppers :D so I can't answer your question directly.

bought one too, looking forward to seeing how she shoots

what are you guys seeing with ammo, what factory ammo do the 16" cl barrels like?

Did you get one of those on special in green? I went on to grab one they were all sold out by the time I checked. Even though I have one I though that deal was too good to pass up!

Did you get one of those on special in green? I went on to grab one they were all sold out by the time I checked. Even though I have one I though that deal was too good to pass up!
I did, too good of a deal to pass up

Yeh not a bad idea. I have the stainless but mine is new still, so I have not been able to try many different kinds of ammo yet and have not loaded any either. You can always get the 6.5 Creed, barrel for it and have both. Eventually I may grab one if I see them on sale- just to have both barrels.

Yeh not a bad idea. I have the stainless but mine is new still, so I have not been able to try many different kinds of ammo yet and have not loaded any either. You can always get the 6.5 Creed, barrel for it and have both. Eventually I may grab one if I see them on sale- just to have both barrels.
thought about that but have an aero in 6.5cm (22" ss heavy premium barrel) and will test her legs this summer. The ss 5r barrels are on sale for 500 at lmt right now so really thinking of doing this. I like 18" on a 308 too

Whatever you do don’t discount that 16”CL barrel. My two are consistent 1moa performers (as well as many others) and for a hard use rifle—the more chrome the better.

Whatever you do don’t discount that 16”CL barrel. My two are consistent 1moa performers (as well as many others) and for a hard use rifle—the more chrome the better.

+1 see my post at the top of the page, thats out of a 16" CL barrel.
I know they aren't all identical and thats the absolute best group I've shot with this rifle, but they are very capable

good to know, maybe I'll test them out first and then decide on swapping it out. 1 moa is fine for a 'fighting rife' so to speak:)

A comparison of how Canteen Green looks against Magpul OD green on my SR25 lower. Will likely go with all black furniture to offset once I get a dedicated lower for it. Sadly, these beautiful dimples were hidden under the slick chassis, but now can be viewed and appreciated.
nye1b5.jpg

DzrvKS.jpg

Anyone ever try putting the Larue upper on an LMT lower. I have heard they work but never actually from someone who has one. I am not sure I would on mine but the upper kits are pretty cheap. It could be a way to have an upper in 6.5 cm.

I got mine out again today- 16" Stainless barrel. It really loves Magtech 168 match ammo! Several 5 rd groups all right at .7-.75" @ 100
That is really nice because it is priced very well!! It did not seem to care for Horn. 155 A-max Black- shot around 1 1/2" Loves FGMM as well- also always shoots right around 3/4"
Tried Remington Premier 168 and it shot like crap- like 1 1/2 moa also. But I am very happy with the Magtech! That is what I will stock up on.

Does anyone have a lot of rds through theirs ? Like over 10K- I am wondering if there have been any test on the durability etc.. I know they are used by several militaries so I am sure it is not an issue but I am more curious than anything.

Damn-that's a sweet rig. I was going to pick one up but I didn't because of the quad and I already have 3-1 of each upper type-I wish I would have now. Great optic too.

Did they come with all the upgrades-dual extactor bolt and 2 stage trigger?

Anyone take the 18" barrel and cut it down to 16"? I never shoot with a suppressor but I am thinking it would smooth it out a lot. A lot of people over on M4 have but seems like it is with a supp.

Damn-that's a sweet rig. I was going to pick one up but I didn't because of the quad and I already have 3-1 of each upper type-I wish I would have now. Great optic too.

Did they come with all the upgrades-dual extactor bolt and 2 stage trigger?
Yes it did.

I got mine out again today- 16" Stainless barrel. It really loves Magtech 168 match ammo! Several 5 rd groups all right at .7-.75" @ 100
That is really nice because it is priced very well!! It did not seem to care for Horn. 155 A-max Black- shot around 1 1/2" Loves FGMM as well- also always shoots right around 3/4"
Tried Remington Premier 168 and it shot like crap- like 1 1/2 moa also. But I am very happy with the Magtech! That is what I will stock up on.

Does anyone have a lot of rds through theirs ? Like over 10K- I am wondering if there have been any test on the durability etc.. I know they are used by several militaries so I am sure it is not an issue but I am more curious than anything.

Have same barrel.

Data I have so far:

Malaysian L2A2 M80 ball ammo stuff it shoots ~ 2moa consistently.
FGMM 175 gr a hair over 1 moa.

I don't have much other match type .308 ammo but I plan on trying the Magtech, PMC 168gr SMKs, ADI Outback 168gr SMK among others. I'll report back.

Yes it did.

Nice. I'm a dumbass-I put my 3rd MWS together buying barrel, upper, BCG, and lower all separately. Got some good deals on a few of them during their Christmas sale but I would have saved money in long run just buying the complete one and using what I wanted and saving/selling the rest.

Has anyone had any problems with failure to feed when switching from the 16” 308 barrel to the 24” 6.5 Creedmoor? I made the switch and fired FGMM 130 Berger’s. Grouping of approx .5 MOA, however many failures to feed. Does anyone have a solution to this problem. Seems like there isn’t enough gas pressure to throw the bolt all the way back to strip another round. Does anyone have any solutions?

Has anyone had any problems with failure to feed when switching from the 16” 308 barrel to the 24” 6.5 Creedmoor? I made the switch and fired FGMM 130 Berger’s. Grouping of approx .5 MOA, however many failures to feed. Does anyone have a solution to this problem. Seems like there isn’t enough gas pressure to throw the bolt all the way back to strip another round. Does anyone have any solutions?
I'd need to get mine out of the safe to see what buffer weight came stock with the rifle, but I swapped out the original 20" cl 308 and put in the 24" 6.5 Creedmoor last weekend and it ran fine the entire time. I used S&B 140's to start, and then went with 140 Hornady American Gunner and never had any feed issues with either. I was expecting some extraction issues with the S&B, but it ran fine in the MWS.

All of my MWSs have H3 buffers. I don't swap barrels as mine have all dedicated uppers and lowers including a 24"CM that I shoot Hornady ELD 140s out of-throws brass a country mile with no issues feeding.

All of my MWSs have H3 buffers. I don't swap barrels as mine have all dedicated uppers and lowers including a 24"CM that I shoot Hornady ELD 140s out of-throws brass a country mile with no issues feeding.
One of the guys at the range had some handloaded 140 gr. That I shot. They ejected and chambered a new round, but I only tried it twice. This leads me to believe that there isn’t enough gas pressure to fully cycle the bolt. Ejection was consistent, always throwing the brass in a nice tight pile about 2 feet away. I guess I may have to buy some 140 Gr Ammo and see how it works.

BTW, what is an H3 Buffer?

Carbine buffers are available in a variety of weights. Colt developed heavier models for certain applications, including the H1 (3.8 ounces), H2 (4.6 ounces) and H3 (5.4 ounces).

Plagiarized from the internet.

I think all the LMT .308's use the H3- mine does from factory. I know some guys use even heavier buffer and spring. That sounds like it would not help you though.

I'd need to get mine out of the safe to see what buffer weight came stock with the rifle, but I swapped out the original 20" cl 308 and put in the 24" 6.5 Creedmoor last weekend and it ran fine the entire time. I used S&B 140's to start, and then went with 140 Hornady American Gunner and never had any feed issues with either. I was expecting some extraction issues with the S&B, but it ran fine in the MWS.
Want typemof magazines are you using?

Anyone take the 18" barrel and cut it down to 16"? I never shoot with a suppressor but I am thinking it would smooth it out a lot. A lot of people over on M4 have but seems like it is with a supp.
I sold my original barrel and had a 20" barrel cut to 16" for a smoother setup. I shoot suppressed most of the time and it feels a little smoother. I do have issues with FTF when I combine my Specwar 762 and FGMM 168. I think the whole system is too overgassed. Take the can off and it runs without issue, this is even with the longer gas system. If I am shooting surplus ammo, it functions with a can no problem.

The whole system shoots very smoothly with the chopped barrel, unsuppressed, and using the SilencerCo ASR brake. I have the factory recoil spring and buffer.

My best groups have been with FGMM 168 and are typically around .9 to 1.4 MOA at 100 yards, depending on my fundamentals that day. It is my 200-600 yard gun and my deer rifle. It is excellent in those roles.

Attachments

• LMT at rest.JPG
    LMT at rest.JPG
    796.1 KB · Views: 169
Those canteen rifles are sweet! I really like the color and wish I had found out about them before they sold out. Kudos to you guys who picked them up.

In the pictures the upper and lower look a shade off in color from one another. Is it just the lighting on the angles or are they a little different?

Buying one out of the PX on here. Just got confirmation that funds have been received. I'm super stoked! I love my MRP. Can't wait to introduce lil bro to big bro. Lol.

Reactions: pmclaine
I guess I missed the news. Where did you get these apple green beauties??

I love my generation 1. Use a omega can on it with a 2.5-10x24 NF.

Been tinkering with my loads but it shoots pretty good for a gas gun. Using 43.2 grains of varget with fgmm primers and 168 smk. The 16 CL barrel definitely likes 168 over 175.
B7846FC2-7A7A-40DD-9048-7F2764A8221B.jpeg
FB9491A0-ADCF-4EEE-9594-60860DEE792B.jpeg
7213B245-C8FE-41DD-BAF0-69C16A909950.jpeg
20318959-DC13-46C6-B233-BF101E6858F5.jpeg