• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Sounds like you could save some cash by just getting one scope for the MWS and switch the vortex to the Colt.

Reactions: Dulo
Speaking of modularity, today I got my 6.5CM barrel from V1 (June alloc.) which brings another issue, I don't have an optic for it.

My initial idea was to have 2 barrel/optic setups:
1. Battle rifle (current one) - 16' 7.62 CL LW barrel with LPVO (currently Razor-E 1-6)
2. LR setup - 20' 6.5CM with some high mag scope - Cronus BTR, Delta Stryker, Burris XTR III

However, I'm pleasantly surprised how accurate the 16' barrel is with a wide variety of ammo, plus I also have an 11.5' Colt EPR which also needs an optic.
So I'm thinking instead of having two separate optics for the MWS, to get a compact scope with 18 to 20x magnification (NF NX8, XTR III, Eotech Vudu) plus an offset RMR, maybe on a Badger Condition One mount. By doing this I will better utilize the accuracy of the 16' barrel and avoid switching optics, plus I will put the Razor on the Colt, so I will be a cool kid with an LPVO on a short barrel rifle.
As a drawback, I'm thinking about the increased weight on both guns, plus I don't have any experience with offset red dots so I don't know how close in terms of speed and cqb usage they are compared to LPVO with good 1x.
What do you guys think? Should I stick up to the original plan and buy a decent high mag scope for the MWS and probably Aimpoint T2 for the Colt or the other option is better?

Strictly opinion,

I think a 3-18 with offset RDS can do everything a LPVO, with a negligible cost and weight penalty. I don't think the same can be said about an LPVO doing 3-18 type stuff.

At the end of the day a LPVO or 3-18 with offset RDS is going to be bolting 2lbs to your rifle.

Considering how good mounts are these days, and how easy remounting is with stuff like fix it sticks, I don't think its a super big deal just swap optics to something that makes better sense for how the rifle is going to be employed on a case by case basis.

I figure that considering when and where you shooting, you are going to have a little play in your zero and your going to have to re-verify everything anyway, why not just run the right optic.

I like LPVO for carbines, considering they they are a little lighter to begin with, i think its easier to get away with an LPVO for a GP set up. For a large frame gas gun, I really think one has to be a little more specific in terms of how they are going to set it up or else it turns into a boat anchor.

Reactions: Dulo
I recognize Kuwait in this picture. I can also smell this picture and feel the 130 degree, 100% humidity in it.
I am sorry, I can't currently smell anything as we have had sand storms for the past 8 days

So I picked up and LMT Bolt carrier with a KAC E2 bolt and for some reason if I ride the bolt home, it’s fine. But if the bolt slams home it doesn’t want to unlock. Gotta whack the charging handle to break it loose. Now if I use a standard 308 DPMS BCG, there’s no issues. Does it with 2 separate em uppers and 2 separate barrels.

Any one run into this issue before. Or when mixing LMT carrier and KAC bolt?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hmmm don't have access to my rifles to experiment but even though kac and lmt are really close, not sure I would expect ebolts and large frame stuff to fit perfectly.

Reactions: HogsLife
So I picked up and LMT Bolt carrier with a KAC E2 bolt and for some reason if I ride the bolt home, it’s fine. But if the bolt slams home it doesn’t want to unlock. Gotta whack the charging handle to break it loose. Now if I use a standard 308 DPMS BCG, there’s no issues. Does it with 2 separate em uppers and 2 separate barrels.

Any one run into this issue before. Or when mixing LMT carrier and KAC bolt?
No idea there. I have a LMT complete BCG in my KAC ACC upper. It's ran fine for the couple hundred rounds I've shot it. If I get a chance and remember in the next day or two I'll swap some bolts and carriers around between my MWS and KAC guns and report my findings.

I'm guessing your running the KAC bolt in a factory MWS barrel?

Reactions: HogsLife
No idea there. I have a LMT complete BCG in my KAC ACC upper. It's ran fine for the couple hundred rounds I've shot it. If I get a chance and remember in the next day or two I'll swap some bolts and carriers around between my MWS and KAC guns and report my findings.

I'm guessing your running the KAC bolt in a factory MWS barrel?

Appreciate it man. Be some good info and interested to see how it works out.

They function flawlessly and will cycle absolutely anything due to the monster of a diameter gas tube hole, which causes them to be grossly overgassed.

Your BGC, ammo, and mags will be absolutely caked with blow back when using it factory configured.

I have switched to the BRT EZTune gas tube, as seen below on the right, and hope this helps. I have yet to use it in the current configuration. This is my last ditch attempt before rebarreling and going with an AGB.

View attachment 7644300
Any luck with the new gas tube?

Do you know anyone who makes a selectable gas block such as the ones on Larue’s and Noveske’s?

Any luck with the new gas tube?

Do you know anyone who makes a selectable gas block such as the ones on Larue’s and Noveske’s?
I havnt had an opportunity to shoot it. Parts came in late and life keeps getting in the way. Hoping for next weekend.

JP, Superlative Arms, Seekins, SLR all make 0.875” adjustable gas blocks.

Reactions: Woollymonster
Man the LMT 2 stage trigger sucks.

I’m 400 rounds in and the trigger is at 5.5 lbs.

it wouldn’t be so bad if the second stage was more crisp. But it’s very mushy compared to geissele G2S or SSA.

Im going to order a SSA tricon tomorrow. I like the idea of a slightly flatter triggger.

otherwise my sharp shooter is at 1 Moa consistently with 168gr FGMM. Going to try some FGMM 175’s tomorrow to see if anything changes.

Attachments

• FF4E3090-58AB-4958-B562-AE56065E0DC4.jpeg
    FF4E3090-58AB-4958-B562-AE56065E0DC4.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: HenryTheAce
Here’s mine. Just got it togethe

20” SS LMT 7.62 on the Quad
24” SS LMT 6.5CM on the 15.5” MLOK
NF F1 3.5-15x50 H58
The rings are issued ARMS 22 Highs but they’re a bit to high for my liking so I have some NF A108’s on the way

Looking forward to getting her to the range especially to see how that 24” 6.5 runs

6E02B352-6710-4114-AE6B-C2FE6919D148.jpeg

Reactions: Lurp06x
Man the LMT 2 stage trigger sucks.

I’m 400 rounds in and the trigger is at 5.5 lbs.

it wouldn’t be so bad if the second stage was more crisp. But it’s very mushy compared to geissele G2S or SSA.

Im going to order a SSA tricon tomorrow. I like the idea of a slightly flatter triggger.

otherwise my sharp shooter is at 1 Moa consistently with 168gr FGMM. Going to try some FGMM 175’s tomorrow to see if anything changes.
Spend a little extra and get the Hi-Speed NM. The gun is absolutely worth it.

Reactions: MPD142
Spend a little extra and get the Hi-Speed NM. The gun is absolutely worth it.
I looked at the NM geissele. It looks good but I want to try a flatter trigger. SSA is perfect in my mind. I tried the SSA-E and it was too light. Sounds crazy but that’s me.

maybe on my next rifle I will get the NM trigger.

Well I definitely like the results that FGMM 175’s did.

ignore the warm up group we’re I was trying to get comfortable….

but man this is a sweet shooting rifle can’t wait to get out to longer ranges.

ordered the geissele trigger today.

Attachments

• F0459B29-78FA-4641-9392-2E0E71A94B80.jpeg
    F0459B29-78FA-4641-9392-2E0E71A94B80.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • 7DAB7EC2-4D49-4923-BB42-8539A970F601.jpeg
    7DAB7EC2-4D49-4923-BB42-8539A970F601.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 146
  • C7F515F9-8686-4673-B223-96B0194E474B.jpeg
    C7F515F9-8686-4673-B223-96B0194E474B.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 191
Nice,

What type of velocity are your seeing from the 24 and what load are you shooting. i really like my 20 inch 6.5 with 140's Considering cutting back to 18 with a Socom upper

Nice,

What type of velocity are your seeing from the 24 and what load are you shooting. i really like my 20 inch 6.5 with 140's Considering cutting back to 18 with a Socom upper
Thanks man. I haven’t gotten it out to the range yet. Just got this together last week. I am curious to see if the velocities on the 24 tho. Ill Be running either the 140’s or 147’s.

what are you getting out of your 20” ?

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Thanks man. I haven’t gotten it out to the range yet. Just got this together last week. I am curious to see if the velocities on the 24 tho. Ill Be running either the 140’s or 147’s.

what are you getting out of your 20” ?
I was not able to get a chrono on it and am overseas currently.

Its a shooter for sure.

I have seen both the older railed handguards on the LMT 308 with solid rails at the 12-3/6&9 positions. And a slick sided mlok handguard LMT 308.
is one type more desirable then the other??

I have seen both the older railed handguards on the LMT 308 with solid rails at the 12-3/6&9 positions. And a slick sided mlok handguard LMT 308.
That's all in the eye of the beholder. The slick rails are a little lighter and more comfortable to hold. You have to remove attachments to swap barrels with the mlock uppers.

Reactions: Tono
I have owned the quad rail and MLOK and much prefer the MLOK. I have not owned an LM8

I ordered a brt gas tube for my 16" ss barrel. FA carrier, H3 buffer and 762rc it went from throwing brass into the next zip code to making a nice pile 10ft away at 3 o'clock. With the can off and just the surefire brake it almost has no recoil. I may try out a h1 or h2 if I get a chance.

Iirc the tube they sent me was a .073" port.

I ordered a brt gas tube for my 16" ss barrel. FA carrier, H3 buffer and 762rc it went from throwing brass into the next zip code to making a nice pile 10ft away at 3 o'clock. With the can off and just the surefire brake it almost has no recoil. I may try out a h1 or h2 if I get a chance.

Iirc the tube they sent me was a .073" port.
My MWS does not eject brass in to the stratosphere. I have read why it is but mine ejects at the 3-4 o clock about 10-12ft.

I do get dents in the shoulder of the brass. But it’s a military semi auto…..

@Huskydriver @Woollymonster
Finally got around the running the LMT MWS with the JP SCS H2 and BRT EZTune. It’s a noticeable improvement compared to the XH and factory gas tube but it is still overgassed with the Dominus CB. Instead of having my brass become a second projectile I now have a nice little pile of brass 10-12 feet over around 2-3 o-clock.

Still only about a 1moa shooter. Don’t know if I am expecting too much from the factory 16” CL 1:10 .308. Might try 168grs and 155’s. Definitely has potential, I’ll get 3 in a nice clover and 2 stringers that open it up. Could be me not running a large frame gasser properly, but thats hard for me to believe when the AI AX gives sub 1/2 moa groups without effort running the same 175gr handloads.

Reactions: Huskydriver
@Huskydriver @Woollymonster
Finally got around the running the LMT MWS with the JP SCS H2 and BRT EZTune. It’s a noticeable improvement compared to the XH and factory gas tube but it is still overgassed with the Dominus CB. Instead of having my brass become a second projectile I now have a nice little pile of brass 10-12 feet over around 2-3 o-clock.

Still only about a 1moa shooter. Don’t know if I am expecting too much from the factory 16” CL 1:10 .308. Might try 168grs and 155’s. Definitely has potential, I’ll get 3 in a nice clover and 2 stringers that open it up. Could be me not running a large frame gasser properly, but thats hard for me to believe when the AI AX gives sub 1/2 moa groups without effort running the same 175gr handloads.

Which tube did you get or do you know your port size?

Might just have them go 25% under what you are running

Which tube did you get or do you know your port size?

Might just have them go 25% under what you are running
I think it was 0.067” or 0.063”. It was the 16” Mid Length 100% suppressed option on the website.

Might try an over bored suppressor and see how it does. Either the 338 Ultra or Silencerco Hybrid

I think it was 0.067” or 0.063”. It was the 16” Mid Length 100% suppressed option on the website.

Might try an over bored suppressor and see how it does. Either the 338 Ultra or Silencerco Hybrid

Lmk how that goes as I have both those cans too lol

Reactions: blbennett1288
Last year during the crazy spring of 2020, I got the major components and assembled a LMT MWS with MARS-H DMR lower, CQB upper, 20 inch SS 308 barrel, full auto BCG for added weight, and ambi charging handle. All for a little less than $3000 with military discount from V1tactical. I'm in the Army and I was about to spend 9 months in Korea, so I got this thing together thinking even if the situation deteriorated further back in the States, I would at least come back to a rifle that would practically last forever. Just in case things kept getting worse, and either gun control was ramped up or the market left every "combat ready" firearm out of stock or at extreme prices/short availability.

Now I'm about about to go back to the US and ETS in a few months, and I have had a lot of time to see things get better back in the States, do more research (including this entire thread), and think. In my opinion, a person should own and train with "practical" firearms before getting into extravagant, and less useful firearms. By "practical," I mean practical for self/home/property defense, for building skills in various types of shooting, and as well for a theoretical SHTF.

I was only able to put around ~50 rounds through it before I left for Korea. The LMT MWS seems like a fine rifle, but I think I should sell it (not trying to advertise, I'm aware of that rule for new accounts). I think I would be better off with a nice $1500-2500 .308 bolt gun, or maybe even a $1000 Bergara HMR, to properly learn long range shooting before getting into any fancy stuff that complicates things, like large-frame semi-autos. I already have a DMR-style AR-15 that is good out to about 600-700 yards, so this 308 AR is just extraneous when I can get a bolt-action rifle that is more accurate for less money, and already has a longer effective range, when I'm ready for that.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 333
Last year during the crazy spring of 2020, I got the major components and assembled a LMT MWS with MARS-H DMR lower, CQB upper, 20 inch SS 308 barrel, full auto BCG for added weight, and ambi charging handle. All for a little less than $3000 with military discount from V1tactical. I'm in the Army and I was about to spend 9 months in Korea, so I got this thing together thinking even if the situation deteriorated further back in the States, I would at least come back to a rifle that would practically last forever. Just in case things kept getting worse, and either gun control was ramped up or the market left every "combat ready" firearm out of stock or at extreme prices/short availability.

Now I'm about about to go back to the US and ETS in a few months, and I have had a lot of time to see things get better back in the States, do more research (including this entire thread), and think. In my opinion, a person should own and train with "practical" firearms before getting into extravagant, and less useful firearms. By "practical," I mean practical for self/home/property defense, for building skills in various types of shooting, and as well for a theoretical SHTF.

I was only able to put around ~50 rounds through it before I left for Korea. The LMT MWS seems like a fine rifle, but I think I should sell it (not trying to advertise, I'm aware of that rule for new accounts). I think I would be better off with a nice $1500-2500 .308 bolt gun, or maybe even a $1000 Bergara HMR, to properly learn long range shooting before getting into any fancy stuff that complicates things, like large-frame semi-autos. I already have a DMR-style AR-15 that is good out to about 600-700 yards, so this 308 AR is just extraneous when I can get a bolt-action rifle that is more accurate for less money, and already has a longer effective range, when I'm ready for that.
I wouldn’t sell your Lmt

keep it

you will probably regret selling this. This is a very practical rifle to learn and train with. Things aren’t really better yet for firearms. A lot of stuff is still hard to get. Especially LMT stuff and most high end rifles.

i would just save up for a Tikka CTR and keep your Lmt.

Reactions: Maxwell
Consider investing in a good optic, bipod, and a rear bag and go stretch the legs on that 20 inch barrel. It would be a shame to sell before you had a chance to experience what the rifle is capable of.

Just saying,
Rasyad

Reactions: Maxwell
Okay I will try to go all in on it. I already have a Harris bipod, a Geissele Hi Speed National Match trigger (waiting to be installed), and I'm thinking about a Nightforce SHV 4-14 in mils. Maybe a suppressor and offset red dot one day.

I really wanted this thing to be the ultimate bomb-proof-reliable, and with 1 MOA accuracy, 0-800/900/1000 yard gun, but it was just starting to seem like that was a flawed goal in the first place. The amount of people complaining in this thread about issues and difficulties with the MWS weren't really helping my confidence on this. But they are probably just a loud minority considering how much praise the MWS and LMT get in the real world.

I'm probably just bored and overthinking things, but this thread and some others have been teaching me how to drive large-frame gas guns, which has been concern of mine, but it's only a training issue. Also if my barrel is a lemon, I may just have it cut down to 16 inches and have D. Wilson Mfg. convert a Proof Research 6.5CM barrel for my MWS.
Consider investing in a good optic, bipod, and a rear bag and go stretch the legs on that 20 inch barrel. It would be a shame to sell before you had a chance to experience what the rifle is capable of.

Just saying,
Rasyad

Okay I will try to go all in on it. I already have a Harris bipod, a Geissele Hi Speed National Match trigger (waiting to be installed), and I'm thinking about a Nightforce SHV 4-14 in mils. Maybe a suppressor and offset red dot one day.

I really wanted this thing to be the ultimate bomb-proof-reliable, and with 1 MOA accuracy, 0-800/900/1000 yard gun, but it was just starting to seem like that was a flawed goal in the first place. The amount of people complaining in this thread about issues and difficulties with the MWS weren't really helping my confidence on this. But they are probably just a loud minority considering how much praise the MWS and LMT get in the real world.

I'm probably just bored and overthinking things, but this thread and some others have been teaching me how to drive large-frame gas guns, which has been concern of mine, but it's only a training issue. Also if my barrel is a lemon, I may just have it cut down to 16 inches and have D. Wilson Mfg. convert a Proof Research 6.5CM barrel for my MWS.
Maybe I am not really seeing it but what issues are people complaining about? If it is in regard to gassing, that's really not an LMT issue. LMT's are gassed to run. The problem arises when people run a can that really was not designed for Military large frame gas guns.

It seems like you are all over the map in regards to what you want, l think you need to slow things down, stop worrying about cans and offset irons, high speed triggers and just get out and shoot.

Trigger time and and 300 dollar super sniper will teach you more about what works and what doesn't work, then reading countless post from others about what works best for them. bolt guns have their place the same as gas guns, but if you don't actually get out there and put rounds down range, its hard to access what is your best option

Maybe I am not really seeing it but what issues are people complaining about? If it is in regard to gassing, that's really not an LMT issue. LMT's are gassed to run. The problem arises when people run a can that really was not designed for Military large frame gas guns.

It seems like you are all over the map in regards to what you want, l think you need to slow things down, stop worrying about cans and offset irons, high speed triggers and just get out and shoot.

Trigger time and and 300 dollar super sniper will teach you more about what works and what doesn't work, then reading countless post from others about what works best for them. bolt guns have their place the same as gas guns, but if you don't actually get out there and put rounds down range, its hard to access what is your best option
You're right, I just need to shoot, but I can't because I'm still trapped here. I will shoot a lot when I get back to the US, I promise.

So finally got a notification my OD green lower MWS is in... Just waiting on the upper now.

I started looking at a suppressor to go with it. Right now my top considerations are the OSS Ti, Surefire RC2, and CGS Hyperion K or Helios.

Any recommendations or good to know before? What would you go with?

Reactions: Lurp06x
Can anyone speak to the backpressure of a Surefire RC2 on a 16" 308 MWS? Is it enough to want to look at a flowthrough design?
Sf cans have always had a good reputation for being low pressure. With that being said I have personally not shot them, but I never read about any compatibility issues.

Personally I shoot the dead air sandman k on my 13.5 and it's awesome. I've heard good things about the OSS and the cgs stuff

Reactions: Bazooka