• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Load Development Confusion

AR-10 Shooter

Minuteman
Dec 1, 2004
Virginia
I'm confused and need you guys to square me away on load development.

I've worked-up several loads for the 700 and AR-10. They are very accurate at 100 yards for factory guns and I'm happy. My current load for the 700 is 43.3 Varget under a 175 SMK. However when I read suggested loads on the forum, people are loading 45-46 Varget.

Am I swapping speed for too much accuracy ? Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here and greatly appreciate "all" comments.

CT

Re: Load Development Confusion

load up about 5 of your old load and 5 according to the form take your guns out and shoot them see if your accuracy changes and if it does can you live with it

Hodgdon's website lists 45.0 as max, which is honestly a low max. So, yes, you are not pushing it as fast as you could. But, if you are happy with the accuracy, keep shooting it.

175 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon Varget .308" 2.800"
min- 42.0 with 2583
Max 45.0C with 2690 fps

I would say it completely depends on what kind of shooting you intend to do with your loads. I'm betting that your MV is in the high 2400-low 2500s with 175 SMKs. If all you plan on is 100-300 yds or so, your slow accurate loads will work just fine. They probably will even work fine out to 600 yds but the wind is going to be a bigger factor for a pill going that slow. If however, you're looking at 800-1000 yds - its probably going to be too slow to accurately get there and even a little wind is going to kick your ass.

I ran into the same exact thing. I found a super accurate 175 SMK load around the 2490-2510 fps range. But because my goal was to find a 1K yd load, I skipped on by and found another accuracy node that got me to about 2610 in my 20" SPS. Its not right at max, but its a pretty "warm" load.

SO decide what your end goal is and that will drive what you do. Because if you're doing all short-med range shooting (anything under 500 yds), your current loads will be fine and you will have the added benefit of not having to go through more load development ass pain and you're working your brass and your chamber less because you're not pushing the pressures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR-10 Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've worked-up several loads for the 700 and AR-10. They are very accurate at 100 yards for factory guns and I'm happy. My current load for the 700 is 43.3 Varget under a 175 SMK. However when I read suggested loads on the forum, people are loading 45-46 Varget. </div></div>

You must consider the M700 a different animal for reloading purposes than the AR-10. The AR-10 will end up being reloaded to suit the gas system, while the M700 will be loaded to suit the higher pressure accuracy node.

If you load the AR-10 cartriges with too much powder or too slow a powder, you will overdrive the gas system and the ejextion will not time as desired. When you do find the powder and charge weight the gun likes, the brass will drop over your sholder in a nice neat pile. It is likely that you will find an accuracy node around 43.5-44gr of Varget, here. You will be using more neck tension to insure no bullet setback while in the magazine and no bullet ram forward as it is chambered. 0.003 neck tension is recommended.

For the M700 different rules aply, since you are not loading in order to cycle the auto-load cycle, you are loading strictly for accuracy. Here, you can play seating games (and OAL games) with the bullet, and push the edge of sane pressures. Sticking with the 175 SMKs, you should find an accuarcy node around 44-44.5g Varget. For ammo that suffers no abuse from the reloading station to the final firing position neck tension as low os 0.001 is allowed. Tactical ammo should be loaded to 0.002 neck tension.

For maximum accuracy in both guns develop different recipies for both guns and keep the ammo segregated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For maximum accuracy in both guns develop different recipies for both guns and keep the ammo segregated. </div></div>

Curse you organized people. Curses...
laugh.gif

At last, an explanation that clears the air, at least for me. I get a little confused at the heavy loads listed here. The two or more nodes makes sense, finally. Rem 40X and AR-10 at a 100 yrd range, why push it, either of them. The lower node will do.

Good word Mitch!

For 100 yards it makes no matter what the velocity is as long as it's over about 2000 fps. Party on dude.

If the lower charge gets you what you want, then save your throat and stay put.

WOW, thanks guys. I really appreciate the answers and advice. I am still a little confused. Why load "hot" to get out there when you can call up the morter crew?

Just kidding, of course. Many, many thanks,

CT

Now that we have some dignity to the speed brawl, how about some proven loads for Bolt and gas .308 in 168 hpbt. RL-15, and TAC.
Rem 40X and AR-10, Armalite of course.(smile)

308sako: You know how good a 4 duce mortar is?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR-10 Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why load "hot" </div></div>

Because the cartrige and powder are designed ro operate between 55-60KPSI. Trying to find the slow sweetspot (low node) is a hit & miss proposition as you are operating outside that window. The load suffers from larger ES, more inconsistent velocity, and more incomplete combustion. The ideal scenario ia 100% combustion, 100% load density, single digit ES, and a velocity placing you inside the sweetspot.

918v.
Where does that tech info you quoted come from?
Some reference has been made to the value of the low node in saving the throat.

Also, as I only shoot at minimum ranges, why load hot? I hear you on the optimum operation, but as long as the accuracy is there at the desired range, the load is not under-charged, avoiding high pressures, load is within published min to max, what, if any, is the problem.

918v.

Also, as I only shoot at minimum ranges, why load hot? I hear you on the optimum operation, but as long as the accuracy is there at the desired range, the load is not under-charged, avoiding high pressures, load is within published min to max, what, if any, is the problem.

918v.