• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Load development for dummies guide

giannid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Have a new 6.5 Creedmoor rifle that I've started load development for. After doing some research and making some posts, I've discovered I really don't know what I'm doing. The new rifle is a Tikka with a proof barrel I purchased from a member. I'm using H4350 and have shot the 142 SMK's, berger 140VLD's and Berger 130 Hybrid OTMS. So far it's shooting pretty good and have been working at 200 yards with it. Some of my groups are under an inch at 200 yards. Also have data on it from my Labradar as average velocity, ES and SD.

Biggest problem I have is I really don't understand the whole node thing. With the Berger VLD I did the initial load development like they tell you to do with the VLd's and .01 OTL has worked the best so far. With the SMK's and OTM's I started with powder charges starting at minimum going to a little above max in .5 grain increments. Those two bullets were both shot at .015 OTL's.

I'd like to work the load right in this rifle. Most of the other rifles I've done loads for were hunting rigs and I'd like to shoot my first match in the spring with this rifle if this covid shit lets me.

Is there and relatively simple guide for load development explaining nodes and ladder testing? I'm not really a newbie, just a newbie to trying to find a thousand yard load. At this point, I've been to the range with this rifle two times and really need to get pointed in the right direction before I go any further.

This explains the seating depth part. First you should find a powder charge with the lowest SD/ES with decent speed. (Dont pick the load that shoots like 2500 fps with a SD of 4 pick the 2750 with a SD of less than like 15.

I am also shooting 140 VLDs. I didn't start with 0.010 OTL. I started with 0.04 and work from there. I am an inexperienced reloader but my last group at 150 meters with VLDs was 0.38 moa for a 5-shot group and 0.37 moa at 200m for a 5-shot group. However I use 2 different powder charge weights at both distances.

If you’re at an acceptable velocity, with acceptable ES/SD, have a chrono, and a good BC that works at distance, don’t chase your tail.

Spend a little time dialing in your seating depth with the video posted above. Load on the long side of where the groups were where you wanted them.

Then just update velocity in your software before a match if needed.