• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Interchangeability of .308 155-gr Bullets?

Grump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2008
So. Utah
I'm finding a lot of firsthand reports on 155-gr Lapuas and the occasional A-Max, and I've just finished up a box of Nosler 155s and have access to some Berger 155.5s....

Except for the A-Max, anyone see differences in safe max loads between the various 155s?

With both 4064 and IMR 4895, my rifle shows flat primers with A-Maxes between .5 and 1.0 grains less powder than with the Noslers.

I'd like a bit of input before I do another OCW test with a different powder using those expen$ive Lapuas.

Thanks!

Re: Load Interchangeability of .308 155-gr Bullets?

I can say my load for 155 SMK PALMA (the old one) and the 155 Scenar are identical (except for OAL). Have not tried the 155 A-MX or Bergers.

My 155 Scenar and 155.5 Bergers are now shooting the same load at almost overlapping impacts. I only have a few scenars left and will be sticking with the Bergers after that due to availability.

I think amongst thin jacketed match bullets you could probably be pretty close but switching to a hunting bullet with a harder core and less obituration on ignition could lead to some ugly pressure problems. For example my 150 Barnes TTSX runs a full grain less than my 155 loads with varget.

I logged on to put up a post on the ability to replace the 155 lapuas with something else as they are a unicorn.

Which Berger 155 is the go to?

For my uses... the Berger 155.5gr BT aka 'Fullbore' is pretty dang good... if I were inclined to go green, I'd be looking pretty close at the 'new' 155gr SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Which Berger 155 is the go to?</div></div>

The 155.5 fullbore is the least sensitive to overall length in the Berger lineup. Im jumping it pretty good (technical term) to feed through a magazine in a Rem 700 and getting excellent accuracy. I played with OAL and really did not see any vast improvements from .050 to in the lands. I saw more change by adjusting powder charge and hitting my sweet spot.

Jump is probably going to be a factor with me. I just re-did my measurements with the new barrel, and 168s jump a full .10 (NOT .010!) if seated to 2.80 OAL.

And I'm really committed to mag-length for a number of reasons, including HP Bullseye...and a desire to start getting clean scores without using glue to hold my position together. Just don't believe it that.

I'll check the Lapuas tonight. Wish I could find some more Noslers. Anywhere.

I haven't had good results with 155 gr. AMAX with any powders as yet. Perhaps too much jump in my SPS. The 168 AMAX is outstanding.

I have not tried any others as yet.

QQ:

What jump are you dealing with using the 155 A-Maxes? The usual .20 or so? My son's VSS or whatever it is (26-inch barrel) groups less than 1/2 MOA vertical at 300 yards (we NEVER have a calm wind day, it seems) when he loads long to "only" a .10 jump using 155 Scenars and 175 Sierras.

And what's your jump for the 168s for that matter.

Grump,

I don't know. I've generally gone with OAL on loads due to magazine limits to 2.820". It was explained to me that the secant Ogive of Hornady bullets made the effective jump greater than the tangent ogive of the SMK and Nosler match bullets in 168 and 175 grains. So I've just expeimented with OAL without actually checking jump to the leade. While the Hornady AMAX in 168 as well as their HPBT Match are very good in my rifles, the 155gr AMAX has been disappointing.

In full disclosure, I'm not anywhere near as precise as I could be regarding checking run out, neck or bump sizing, etc.

I'm getting .75 moa with the others, (on good days) using my Dllon dies for .308 &.223 on the only two rifles I own that could be called match grade: Maybe entry level match grade is more precise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grump,
In full disclosure, I'm not anywhere near as precise as I could be regarding checking run out, neck or bump sizing, etc.
</div></div>

You and me both! I'm trying to get something significantly better than the 1 MOA dead-nuts I reliably had with the last barrel. It's a semiauto...