• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Long range caliber given current ammo availability for a newbie

Beezer911

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
Midwest
Hi everyone,
I’m a complete noob when it comes to center fire long range. I’ve shoot precision .22LR for years (which I love) and want to get into shooting long range center fire. I’ve been lurking for awhile reading everything I can and I know the “what caliber should I start with” has been beaten to death, but I have a different twist.

I want to build/buy a bolt gun to get started in long range. I’d possibly end up shooting some PSR, but right now it’s more about learning. Ideally I’d just start with a .308 and learn with that. Problem is, I can’t find .308 ammo to save my life and I’m not set up to reload, nor is buying a gun, glass, etc, AND everything for reloading feasible right now. So factory ammo it is for this gun. Reloading will come, but not for awhile.

That said, I seem to be able to find 6.5 Creedmoor and .224 Valkyrie on the shelves pretty consistently. I know this is apples and oranges, but which of these two would be a better learning platform in your opinion? Is there a different caliber (remember - i need to be able to get it so .308 and .223 are tough) that I should be looking into as well?

Thanks for your help!

I would definitely do something not common in ars but more common otherwise. 6.5 creedmore/260. Similarly 6 creed or 243. 7-08 could work but a little less common but I regularly see it available around me. Not a bad idea to get a gun that can easily accept prefit barrels if your budget allows (just go look at straight jacket armory, pva, bug holes etc to get a good idea of what is available to fit your budget). Save your brass as in the long run reloading is a good idea or you can sell it if higher quality.

Reactions: Beezer911 and Loner
If you can reload (not hard to learn basic reloading), you'll likely never run out of ammo. Seems like a lot of reloaders are hoarders, I am. There's always once fired 6.5 brass on here and 6.5 projectiles. A little work finding primers and powders, but options exist. If not, this shortage will likely last 6-12 months.

Reactions: Beezer911
Last time I went to the big Box sporting goods store they had a couple boxes of 260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor...and that was all that they had

Not sure if it’s regional, but there’s been 6 cm on the shelves every time I go to the store. 308 was gone a long time ago, 6.5 held out for a while but it was gone last time I looked.

I should recuse myself from conversation.
Nup, I am not a legal beagle.
6.5 Creedmoor.
In a Tikka Super Varmint, CTR, or TAC A1.
And spend on decent scope and rings.

Attachments

• 20201119_162217.jpg
    20201119_162217.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 34
Agree with 6.5 Creedmoor or 260rem. Both do pretty much the same thing. As much as I love 6mm Creedmoor I don't ever recommend it for a newbie. They just smoke barrels way to fast, you want lots of trigger time and just wont get that with any of the big 6mm's

Thanks everyone! I hadn’t thought of the 260 Rem. I need to do a little research that one as I know very little about it. Also need to start my research into reloading so I’m ready when the wallet is...

260 is what 6.5 wanted to be ...its the same bullet out of a similar case. The 260 can slightly outperm it but really they shoot the same in factory ammo. Call prime ammo and see if they have either in stock.
Also ahooting your 22 at more than normal distance will help.