• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Long range precision, heavy barrels and carbon fiber barrels

MAVERICK59

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2022
PHOENIX, AZ
I’m trying to learn all I can about equipment and shooting long distance comp. guns , theory etc. Regarding barrels, it seems to be common practice that most would like to have a heavy barrel which aids in overall controlling recoil and also to help in tracing ones shots/ follow up . SO.......... is the use of carbon fiber barrels mostly for other styles of shooting? Just curious as I have read some that use in PRS shooting and it just seems contradictory when talking long distance precision shooting.

Cheers

Don

SO.......... is the use of carbon fiber barrels mostly for other styles of shooting?
For applications where keeping a rifle light and the rate of fire will be low, carbon fiber barrels are great a great way to go . . . especially when you like the looks of it too. ;)

I had a 28" carbon fiber 308 Win barrel cut for my AI with the thinking of i will use it for FT/R matches where you are limited on weight. Which my ai and scope weigh enough as it is, and to get the extra velocity. I used it in a prs match WITH a can and it was definitely clumsy moving around but only because of overall length.