• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a warm weather coastal place to retire where the medical care is great and we won't die from a hurricane.

I lived in Orlando for 8 months. Worst 8 months of my life. Flying cockroaches so big you could throw a saddle on em. They get insulted when you call them roaches. They call them Palmettos or something --but they're COCKROACHES!! And the mosquitos. OMFG. I have the blood type they LOVE so it was 'feast on' every time I walked out the door.... And the constant constant humidity... clamy wet skin even at 2 am. The air smells moldy and it's so damn flat --finding your way is easy when you have hills or landmarks you can see to guage N.S,E,W --flatlands.. not so much. And stay away from the mangroves. They harbor these nasty little speck of an insect called noseeums. I don't know the real name.. but they burrow under your skin for 3 days and the itch is so bad you'll be drawing blood every time and quite literally lose many hours of sleep.. itching itching itching....
Lott’s garlic in the diet helps keep the pests at bay, and a healthy supply of alcohol

Orlando doesn’t get much of the sea breeze effect plus all the damn I4 traffic

Reactions: EddieNFL
@Bender
I see you are mad at me, with good cause. I apologize profusely, and hope sincerely we can patch up our relationship.
What a team we could make. My vast experience in saltwater fishing, your obvious mastery of marine navigational skills. It's a match made in heaven.

Also, could you send pictures of the boat?

OMG Gayguns.....i don't know if i should laugh or cry.

Laugh now.. bc it was my experience.. save the tears for when it's yours. Those cockroaches... revolting. I still have bad dreams about them. You step on one and the crunch snap sound is so loud it's like you broke a bone and the squirt of gray guts that flies out sideways about sends you screaming into the night. You def will not be walking into your house with those shoes on ever again. Can we talk about the average IQ or general evolvement/awareness of people? Coming from CA it's like going back in the twilight zone... especially out the the burbs into the deep rural areas. I swear there's a portion of the population that still hasn't gotten past the Civil war. You will be shocked at some of the entrenched bias that seemed to be the norm. No offense anyone.. just my experience.

Last edited:
Have you considered a place where you can own a rental property or two as well?

lots of folks can sell a house in CA and buy 2-3 in Florida or 2 in lake havasu.

that is if you have the mindset for rentals.

i have seen couples where the man dies and the wife is ignorant with investments.
some get taken advantage of or move 2-3 times following grandkids and go broke buying, selling and moving.

Whatever you do, be on the same page as the spouse

Reactions: Bender
Thailand or Vietnam, your quality of life will be much higher for 1/10th the cost.

I lived in Orlando for 8 months. Worst 8 months of my life. Flying cockroaches so big you could throw a saddle on em. They get insulted when you call them roaches. They call them Palmettos or something --but they're COCKROACHES! And the mosquitos. OMG. I have the blood type they LOVE so it was 'feast on' every time I walked out the door.... And the constant constant humidity... clamy wet skin even at 2 am. The air smells moldy and it's so damn flat --finding your way is easy when you have hills or landmarks you can see to guage N.S,E,W --flatlands.. not so much. And stay away from the mangroves. They harbor these nasty little speck of an insect called noseeums. I don't know the real name.. but they burrow under your skin for 3 days and the itch is so bad you'll be drawing blood every time and quite literally lose many hours of sleep.. itching itching itching....

You forgot about stepping out of the shower, drying off and never actually getting dry unless you stand under the ceiling fan for 5 minutes.

Then there's the roaming bull gators looking for love.

Water moccasins.

Rattlesnakes.
Coral snakes.
Big giant pythons in the south.

Bull sharks that refuse to stay in the salt water.

Oak leaves trying to kill your expensive St. Augustine grass.
Chinch bugs doing the same.

Old, really old people that still drive.
Golf carts on the road.

Orlando has to be one of the worst places to live in Florida.
Tourist morons everywhere and a city built on a 45* angle.
It's as if the Saxons built it instead of the Romans.

It's as if you gave a 3yr old a paper and a crayon and let them scribble. Okay guys, we have our road layout!
Did I mention all the lost tourists?

You forgot about stepping out of the shower, drying off and never actually getting dry unless you stand under the ceiling fan for 5 minutes.

Water moccasins.

Rattlesnakes.
Coral snakes.

Golf carts on the road.

It's as if you gave a 3yr old a paper and a crayon and let them scribble. Okay guys, we have our road layout!
get off the internerttss and fix that car!

Water moccasins.

Rattlesnakes.
Coral snakes.

Golf carts on the road.

Don’t forget the daily 2pm thunderstorms

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
I lived in Orlando for 8 months. Worst 8 months of my life. Flying cockroaches so big you could throw a saddle on em. They get insulted when you call them roaches. They call them Palmettos or something --but they're COCKROACHES! And the mosquitos. OMG. I have the blood type they LOVE so it was 'feast on' every time I walked out the door.... And the constant constant humidity... clamy wet skin even at 2 am. The air smells moldy and it's so damn flat --finding your way is easy when you have hills or landmarks you can see to guage N.S,E,W --flatlands.. not so much. And stay away from the mangroves. They harbor these nasty little speck of an insect called noseeums. I don't know the real name.. but they burrow under your skin for 3 days and the itch is so bad you'll be drawing blood every time and quite literally lose many hours of sleep.. itching itching itching....

You've never been to Central America.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot

Water moccasins.

Rattlesnakes.
Coral snakes.

Golf carts on the road.

Well, it's basically Disney City. The only place I like in Orlando is Foga de Chão (I think that's correct).

Why are you in my AO?

Not in your AO....quite yet. I do need to go down there and cut my brambles again soon.
Getting close:
Screenshot_20200608-083506_Countdown.jpg

Reactions: EddieNFL
OK, Orlando is definitely out

Ocean Front property in Arizona sure is tempting.....dry heat and the ocean would be awesome. I used to scuba dive in Sharm el Sheikh which was absolutely glorious at least way back then. Health Care was unfortunately a helicopter ride away.

Yeah, Orlando really does suck. They should call those skeeters "Antonovs."

Coastal FL is where it's at. Sea breeze keeps those nasty critters at bay. But you still have roaches galore (no freeze). I actually like the Ocala area; but it's explode and the beach is too far away. If I were to do the inner Florida I'd rather be closer to the Suwanee.

Yeah, Orlando really does suck. They should call those skeeters "Antonovs."

Coastal FL is where it's at. Sea breeze keeps those nasty critters at bay. But you still have roaches galore (no freeze). I actually like the Ocala area; but it's explode and the beach is too far away. If I were to do the inner Florida I'd rather be closer to the Suwanee.

I shoot at several inland ranges from Tallahassee to north of Mobile. Ten degrees hotter and the wind doesn't blow unless you're in a hurricane. I'll stay by the coast.

Florida has a lot of retirement tax advantages, but you pay for it by being in Florida. Property taxes there aren’t cheap either, especially if you’re close to the coast where home values go through the roof.

Hurricane wise, the key is to stay out of the Cat 5 prone area, and stay 15 miles or a bit more inland. For Florida, it’s all Cat 5 area, along with the entire Gulf of Mexico. There’s great building codes there so long as the house is post-94 built, as Florida learned a lot from Andrew and changed the laws afterwards. CMU construction outside of the surge zone and roll shutters, backup generator and a month supply of food/water/fuel, you’ll be fine. Hurricanes are just a thing to me, you can see them coming and plan/evacuate accordingly, better than earthquake and tornado territory.

Never, ever buy a stick built home in Florida, termites are horrible there. That pretty much goes for anywhere in the Deep South, at a minimum get an inspection and a good termite monitoring plan.

I recommend coastal Georgia and the Carolinas. Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle, Wilmington, along with their surrounding areas all have great beaches and fishing, good communities, and good medical care. Just don’t go too rural, it gets really shady in the Carolina sticks for medical. The Atlantic coast cuts the water temps just enough that Cat 5 storms at landfall are extremely rare, making the survival of your home with minimal damage easy in comparison.

As for Wyoming, only the pussies leave for the winter. I shoveled the drive for my very elderly neighbor once, he was appreciative but pissed I took his exercise away. The man can’t even stand upright, but the tough old dude is out there after every storm without fail. I hope I’m able to be the same.

I have been. Even the rats fear the cockroaches down there. And the snakes make the worst we've got look like garter snakes.

The cockroaches aren't an issue if you keep a clean house and pay the $40 month to treat your property and home.
The only time I see roaches is when I grab wood for the fire pit.
The wood rack is off my property line and that's fine. Occasionally, one rides down into the fiery pit of hell. 😁😁

Lake Havasu City, AZ

Keep the good medical people you have and just commute to Doctor's appointments. Close enough to see the grand-kids who continue to live in SoCal, keep a boat on the river, small house with a top shelf AC..... Lots of So Cal people over there.

LHC is interesting in the winter, but it’s literally the surface of the sun in summer with temps pushing 120. I do some work there year round, it’s a ghost town in the summer as many there are snowbirds.

Florida has a lot of retirement tax advantages, but you pay for it by being in Florida. Property taxes there aren’t cheap either, especially if you’re close to the coast where home values go through the roof.

Hurricane wise, the key is to stay out of the Cat 5 prone area, and stay 15 miles or a bit more inland. For Florida, it’s all Cat 5 area, along with the entire Gulf of Mexico. There’s great building codes there so long as the house is post-94 built, as Florida learned a lot from Andrew and changed the laws afterwards. CMU construction outside of the surge zone and roll shutters, backup generator and a month supply of food/water/fuel, you’ll be fine. Hurricanes are just a thing to me, you can see them coming and plan/evacuate accordingly, better than earthquake and tornado territory.

Never, ever buy a stick built home in Florida, termites are horrible there. That pretty much goes for anywhere in the Deep South, at a minimum get an inspection and a good termite monitoring plan.

I recommend coastal Georgia and the Carolinas. Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle, Wilmington, along with their surrounding areas all have great beaches and fishing, good communities, and good medical care. Just don’t go too rural, it gets really shady in the Carolina sticks for medical. The Atlantic coast cuts the water temps just enough that Cat 5 storms at landfall are extremely rare, making the survival of your home with minimal damage easy in comparison.As for Wyoming, only the pussies leave for the winter.
I shoveled the drive for my very elderly neighbor once, he was appreciative but pissed I took his exercise away. The man can’t even stand upright, but the tough old dude is out there after every storm without fail. I hope I’m able to be the same.

"As for Wyoming, only the pussies leave for the winter."

Wrong on that one Red. Some people, me for instance, just hate the cold. Why put up with what you hate when there is a simple solution? Scuba dive in Belize. Ill take this...
1591631159077.png

over this

1591631393910.png

Any day.

Retirement is still a long ways down the road for me. But starting to think about it. My wife & I are going to make a trip to South Padre island late summer to check it out. Low taxes, good fishing, shooting, good weather, & not hurricane prone.
I think it'd be worth a look for you.
Sent you a PM

Take my advice and stay the fuck out of Mexico. I planned to retire to Oaxaca but the cartels fucked up everything. Start a business? Thensome punk assed numbnutz knocks on your door and says "The Jefe needs $500 per week or you get burnt out."

Did I say, stay the fuck out of Mexico?
THE FUCK OUT

Laugh now.. bc it was my experience.. save the tears for when it's yours. Those cockroaches... revolting. I still have bad dreams about them. You step on one and the crunch snap sound is so loud it's like you broke a bone and the squirt of gray guts that flies out sideways about sends you screaming into the night. You def will not be walking into your house with those shoes on ever again. Can we talk about the average IQ or general evolvement/awareness of people? Coming from CA it's like going back in the twilight zone... especially out the the burbs into the deep rural areas. I swear there's a portion of the population that still hasn't gotten past the Civil war. You will be shocked at some of the entrenched bias that seemed to be the norm. No offense anyone.. just my experience.
Entrenched bias against the atrocities of reconstruction following the Civil War, perhaps ?

I stand by what I said.

Then you stand wrong. For me at least its a matter of preference. If one prefers bourbon to scotch does that make him a pussy? If one pefers a Remington to a Savage? Preference.

Absolute relation, just preference.
Bullshit. People leave the cold because they don’t want to move snow, they don’t want to deal with scraping their car, or they suck at driving on ice. They flee to the south at the first snowflake and don’t come back until the leaves are back on the trees, fair weather residents who try to claim toughness, but they cave (most often at the pleas of their women) and bail. Just a preference? A preference for an easy life, can’t take the heat and can’t take the cold.

I’ll take the skiing, the ice fishing, and the good pay in blizzards, right along with the solitude because weaker folks can’t take the cold and the wind. Sounds just fine to me.

Bullshit. People leave the cold because they don’t want to move snow, they don’t want to deal with scraping their car, or they suck at driving on ice. They flee to the south at the first snowflake and don’t come back until the leaves are back on the trees, fair weather residents who try to claim toughness, but they cave (most often at the pleas of their women) and bail. Just a preference? A preference for an easy life, can’t take the heat and can’t take the cold.

I’ll take the skiing, the ice fishing, and the good pay in blizzards, right along with the solitude because weaker folks can’t take the cold and the wind. Sounds just fine to me.

Wrong again and yours is the bullshit attitude. I lived in upstate NY and dealt with it. I just choose not to deal with it any more. Has nothing to do with caving to a woman, thats laughable, I do what the fuck I want. I love the heat and the solitude. Owned a ranch in Texas where my nearest neighbor was 3 miles. Suited me just fine.

You like the cold, ice fishing, skiing? Thats just wonderful for you. I prefer the desert, or scuba diving. Id say that your not being able to respect others choices makes YOU the pussy.

• Haha
Reactions: Redmanss
Wrong again and yours is the bullshit attitude. I lived in upstate NY and dealt with it. I just choose not to deal with it any more. Has nothing to do with caving to a woman, thats laughable, I do what the fuck I want. I love the heat and the solitude. Owned a ranch in Texas where my nearest neighbor was 3 miles. Suited me just fine.

You like the cold, ice fishing, skiing? Thats just wonderful for you. I prefer the desert, or scuba diving. Id say that your not being able to respect others choices makes YOU the pussy.
Are you just now realizing I’m an asshole? Where the fuck have you been Goldie?

Are you just now realizing I’m an asshole? Where the fuck have you been Goldie?

We've all got'em bubba. No need to show it off though. Now Ive gotta end this fun little exchange and go get cleaned up. Later, red.