• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Looking for recommendations for truly great current or at least relatively recent movies

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
There was a time when i went to the theatre with great regularity, joy and promise. i used to love watching films by Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Kubrick and others. At University there would often be wonderful film festivals and we were inundated with timeless works of cinematographic art. We would get together with friends and discuss the film’s meaning, photography etc.

Truth be told, I rarely watch movies any more. We do have an amazon prime subscription if that helps.

Looking for some recommendations for some really great movies, ideally current or recent. Open to most content or format as long as it’s quality and well done.

thank you.

I see from the deafening response that not many have any use for the recent products of Hollywierd...

Only one recent worth seeing was Ford vs Ferrari.

Right now hoping the whole woke movie industry goes into the toilet forever along with their spoiled little sjw stars.

There is enough classic content out there that celebrates who we are without leftist propaganda now simply out to destroy any semblance of values left in society via stupid modern movies.

When filmmakers start entertaining us again, instead of brainwashing us... they will get funded again. Until then, let them starve.

Sirhr

I thought Ford vs. Ferrari was bland. The Art of Racing in the Rain was good, though -- if we're talking racing movies, haha.

I like Tarantino. I like Guy Ritchie. And I love the movies Layer Cake and Crimson Tide.

The Joker was brilliant, IMO. Brilliant because it depicted a human mind falling off of a cliff as accurately as I've ever seen. Just makes you squirm.

I look forward to Top Gun 2, but I'm banking on it overtly forcing opinions on me.

Literally all the Marvel movies suck and I'm so mad people fund that garbage. They were so lazy.

Hell or High Water was arguably the best movie I've seen in the last decade.

Hostiles was also VERY good, as well as Ford v. Ferrari mentioned above. Perhaps I just like Christian Bale as an actor?

Reactions: 91Eunozs and Ronws
thank you all.....you've given us several options to look for.

i hope we get to see a renaissance of sorts in cinema soon....it can be such a brilliant and powerful format.

They Shall Not Grow Old if you like historical documentaries. The best movie I have ever seen regarding WW1. Peter Jackson directed and they spend about 30 mins post credits discussing how the movie was made, old fims restored etc. which was fascinating in its own right.

Reactions: Bluedog82
“The Book Of Eli”
“Shot Caller”
I’m going to add another recommendation for “Ford v Ferrari”. Some escape me at the moment but I had an English teacher who was a huge Kubrick fan. “2001: A Space Odyssey”, “Dr. Strangelove”, “A Clockwork Orange”, and “Full Metal Jacket” we’re almost developmental. Maybe that’s a little fucked up maybe not...

In the case that you might be open to TV shows:
“The Mandalorian”

id love to see a conservative producer pick up the marvel series about 20 movies back as well as the star wars pre disney bs. make these shows about identifiably american values and heros again.

loved Benny Hill and Monty Python

will definitely check out the movies listed, only a few of them were familiar to me.

Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, 1917, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, and Joker, all Best Picture Nominations last year, are worth your time watching. Many complained about The Irishman and I'd agree mostly. I do think it was Pacino's best performance in a long time if not ever. It's very long and a commitment. Marriage Story was blah for me. Did not see Little Women.

Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, 1917, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, and Joker, all Best Picture Nominations last year, are worth your time watching. Many complained about The Irishman and I'd agree mostly. I do think it was Pacino's best performance in a long time if not ever. It's very long and a commitment. Marriage Story was blah for me. Did not see Little Women.
Irishman was ok, Kill the Irishman was a little bit better in my opinion

Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan available on DVD. based on a true story, Australian soldiers in Vietnam.

The Siege at Jadotville, only on Netflix. Irish UN Peacekeepers in the Congo. Based on true story, very interesting and fun to research the true story on Google

awesome, thanks
have some surgery coming up so these should come in very handy

It came out a few years ago, and is of Australian make, but the movie is called "A Vigilante".

I've suggested it here on this site a few times, and I have yet to have ANYONE comment on it. Surprises me, for sure. Check it out.

So the only movie I saw last year that was really fun was The Gentlemen. Even though it was a rough remake of Snatch. Jojo Rabbit was unique. Worth seeing.
Joker- a comic book movie has never been so real.

The other movies mentioned here?
1917- good cinematography but pretty dull story
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood- it was fun watching Bruce Lee get his ask kicked. That’s about it.
Ford vs Ferrari - I guess I’m in the minority because i came out disappointed.

Join to @Hawkeyemm recommendations of The Gentlemen and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.
The Gentlemen feels like something different, and good for a change. I didn't see such a film for a long time.
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, first of all as any Tarantino's film it's hard to distract from. Secondly, it was surprising to see his vision of that tragic story.

JoJo Rabbit is pretty good, I mean who doesn't love the idea of zany Hitler as a secret friend.

Nefarious, pretty shocked this movie was allowed to be made. Especially WRT what the demon possessed guy had to say about abortion clinics and Moloch worship.

@Bender you should check it out.

Reactions: quietmike
Bick Cocks 7 .
Jurasshole Park Utter Destruction .
Midget Cum Sluts the Great Weeset .

"The Outpost" with Scott Eastwood. I know the screenwriter was a commie but the movie was good.

The original "First Blood." The others were derivative and took away from the spirit of the first one. And nothing beats the introduction of Col. Samuel Troutman. Granted, Brian Dennehy played the perfect asshole but it was an ensemble effort, shall we say?

Speaking of Eastwoods, "Grand Torino." And "The Mule."

And a good one for laughs, "Bullet Train" with Brad Pitt. And watch the outtakes and gag reel, too.