• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for thoughts and opinions...

hoytshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I've gained a lot of knowledge from many here on the hide and am trusting and thankful for this community. Now i'm looking for some more input. First let me say, i know this is not a "bolt gun" but i wasn't sure which forum to post this ? under and figure here it'll be seen more.
a buddy of mine is selling his winchester model 94 and i've got first refusal. unfortunately its not a pre 64. i checked the serial # and it's a 1968. its in very good condition and seen a few hunting seasons. he told me to take it and shoot it before i buy it too. i'm thinking this would be a fun gun to take deer hunting when in brushy woods since it won't have a scope like my other hunting rifles and will be easier to put on target at closer ranges. plus it's different from my other rifles being a lever action. any ideas on the value and pros/cons will be appreciated. thanks!

Re: Looking for thoughts and opinions...

As a gun shop owner, I would agree, no more that $350. As long as it's in nice shap. I think every gun safe should have a 30/30 in it. It is a great loaner rife for someone wanting to go deer hunting for the first time.

CAR = Cowboy Assault Rifle, everybody needs at least one......

You can get a brand new Marlin 336C 30-30 for $450 or the 336W brand new for $385. Being a 1968 with no collectors value, I would pass unless you get it at a deal of $250 or less (my opinion)(definitely would not put over $300 in it.)

What they all said. I agree that a 30-30 is a must, though. Fun to take to the range with people who haven't done much shooting.

thanks for the input guys. it pretty much confirms that yeah, i should go ahead and buy it. like the replies said, everyone should have one. my buddy is electrician/communication worker and his work has been slow plus he got hammered with medical expenses and is trying to raise some cash. he's wanting $325 for it and due to his circumstances i'll probably just give him that. (then i'll continuously hear silver bullet's reply echoing in my head.) heck, maybe i can get him to throw in any ammo he has for it? thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoytshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the input guys. it pretty much confirms that yeah, i should go ahead and buy it. like the replies said, everyone should have one. my buddy is electrician/communication worker and his work has been slow plus he got hammered with medical expenses and is trying to raise some cash. he's wanting $325 for it and due to his circumstances i'll probably just give him that. (then i'll continuously hear silver bullet's reply echoing in my head.) heck, maybe i can get him to throw in any ammo he has for it? thanks again! </div></div>

Well if its to help a buddy then its worth 325. I would rather give my money to my buddy who needs it, instead of wal-mart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoytshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the input guys. it pretty much confirms that yeah, i should go ahead and buy it. like the replies said, everyone should have one. my buddy is electrician/communication worker and his work has been slow plus he got hammered with medical expenses and is trying to raise some cash. he's wanting $325 for it and due to his circumstances i'll probably just give him that. (then i'll continuously hear silver bullet's reply echoing in my head.) heck, maybe i can get him to throw in any ammo he has for it? thanks again! </div></div>

Well if its to help a buddy then its worth 325. I would rather give my money to my buddy who needs it, instead of wal-mart.</div></div>
ah, we do have something in common! i hate wally world and their business tactics!