• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Looking to buy a quad.

Nuke Man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
North West, Illinois
Almost put this in the bear pit, but figured it would fit in better here.
Anyway I'm starting to look for a 4 wheeler. Main use will be hunting (hanging stands, hauling game, and getting out into the mountains) and plowing my drive. I am not opposed to picking up a used one, but a new one would be ideal.
I want 4x4, fuel injection and preferably auto trans.
What I'm thinking is Polaris Sportsman series. Honda Foreman or a Yamaha Kodiak or Big Bear. Haven't looked into the Yamaha's yet.
Looking for some firsthand knowledge on positives and negatives of any quads that would fit my needs.
Thanks guys.

Personally after getting a side by side I don't know how I ever managed to get anything done with my 4wheeler. The dump bed makes firewood collecting and deer recovery so much easier, not to mention my tree stand sits in it without having to rig it to the rack on my 4wheeler. The only 2 downfalls is the higher price tag and the fact that they are wider. I know Polaris makes the ranger that fits in your truck bed so it would be the same as a 4wheeler, if your concerened with size. Just something to consider as an option to a 4wheeler.

Price is a large factor for not going after a side X side. Also as you stated width. I plan on using it for hunting out in the mountains and am concerned it may be too wide for the established trails. I do agree that one would be ideal. I can pull an ATV trailer for hauling large loads. Polaris does make a smaller UTV but I would be concerned with it not having much power.

Arctic Cat and CanAm have my money from now on. I've had good luck with both. Reliable, power, good handling, and smooth.

I have used and liked very much anything that said Honda on it, for quads. Having said that, I was a guest a couple weeks ago in Montana, and put quite a few hours on a big Can-Am, auto trans, that was very nice and I was surprised how much I liked it.

Avoid the Artic Cats, have seem too many problems, mainly little nickel and dime things, but irritating at times.

I really like my Yamaha Grizzly 660. I think it was 2004. Only problem I've had was it developed an electrical short somewhere in the system and it ate batteries. Finally got it fixed and zero problems in the last 2 years. I've looked at the sidexsides but they are just too big to get through the woods. Never have had much luck pushing snow. I think that the machine is too light. I really can't justify a replacement, even after 10 years. Though, at the end of a day horsing the thing around my 60+ yr old shoulders would like me to check out the electronic power steering available now.

Fuck Polaris in there stinking ass eyes. I have two sportsman 07 800 and 07 500 and I want to burn both the bastards and sell them to allstate. The electronics are shite, they build potted ground contacts that cost almost $400 to replace, not a fucking fuse in the house. BAstards, if I had done my research ahead of time, I wouldn't have bought them. I bought both of them new in '08, when I was looking for a side by side. Wish someone woulda slapped me in the teeth.

Honda or Yamaslama are solid in the south.

Hope this helps,
Breeze

My background is a ASE master mechanic specializing in late model drivability issues(as a shop owner), presently I'm a USCG Chief Engineer/Maint Supervisor/Rig Surveyor. I live electro/hydraulic/mechanical/plc controlled systems in the worst harsh environments in the world. In the last ten years alone, I've personally driven lubricating oil specifications/purchase to the tune of +/- $38,000,000.00; I'm not just spewing shite on unfounded grounds. I kinda know what I'm talking about.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:
Run polaris sleds.quads, and side by sides no real problems that i did not create my self. Guess i grew up with polaris since the old man was racing ice ovals with tx 340 back in the 70's. would say out here 75 percent of the ice fisherman/ hunters/ranchers run polaris. I will say i drove a few arctic cats and they had no problems. You might not need a 900 all the time but the time you do it is sure nice to have

When I was younger I had a few quads. Even back then (late 90's) Polaris was known to be crap. I was hoping they had changed there ways! I had 2 Hondas and a Yamaha Wolverine. I haven't ridden in a long time. I appreciate all the heads up. I was going to look at a Honda Rincon tonight but they sold it. After reading reviews I'm glad I didn't get it. It's only got a 3 speed auto trans and a lot of complaints about lack of low end power.

I've had two Polaris Sportsmans. A 99 model 500 and an 04 700. Never had a problem out of either one. I always seemed to be the one pulling out my buddies on their Hondas. The Polaris had a really low gear that seemed to be impossible to get it stuck in 4 wheel drive, unless you absolutely sunk it in some mud that didn't have a bottom to it. I would recommend either one. You could always use the Kolpin 3 point hitch system for plowing and stuff for food plots and your driveway work. I had one for mine and it worked great! Have to have at least a 500cc atv for it though. Not sure about the newer Polaris'.
As for now, I own a 2011 JD Gator 825i. I don't even have a clue what I did before I got this thing. Its in a whole different league but very pricey.

I have a Polaris Sportsman 500 (2012) and I'm quite impressed with it. Last Oct. I was able to drag a cow elk through a bunch of alders back to camp in one chunk. I drag logs up for firewood. I use it to move around my pontoon boat (easier then then the truck).

I found in the Big Horn Mountains where I hunt it can get into places side by sides cant.

I have two tractors with blades and loaders but found the Sportsman is easier for plowing snow. I can see and maneuver around in tight places where I'd tear up something with the tractors. I thought I wanted more power but the dealer told me for my intended uses the 500 would be more then enough. He was right. I cant see where I'd need more power.

I also wanted chains. Dealer told me I wouldn't need them, I got them anyway. He was right. They are still in the bag, never needed them.

Regardless of which 4X4 you choose, get a wind shield. They are worth their weight in gold in the winter. They snap on and off in seconds if you don't need them. I only take mine off when I have it loaded in the truck for high way traveling.

Except for hunting & fishing I use mine in the winter more then summer. Great for getting to and repairing my fence line where the truck wont go. I have a little ATV trailer for mine. Its great for small farm/ranch use. Plus I can pack in more gear for camping trips making it more comfortable for my wife who likes comfort.

Also there is an abandoned gravel pit not far from the house where I do long range shooting. (can get over a mile). Being a wimp, I like to shoot in the shade so I take a hunting blind, all my gear, and targets where I cant get the truck. Then I can take the targets pretty much anywhere I want without having to pack steel (I'm lazy too)

IMG_0054.JPG

Last edited:
I never understood the side by side thing. You have to trailer them. You can only fit 2 people with a tiny bed. For almost 12k. You could get a small pickup. Or a built Toyota pickup. Gives you a heater, possibly ac. That you can do much more with. I had a 94 Toyota pickup. Lifted locked geared twin double cases. A flatbed and I could take it anywhere. Side by sides and even quads couldn't dare go where I would take it. It would fit on the same trailer that a side by side sits on. Obviously if your hunting trails specific to Tuva and ATS that is different. That being said. I do like having a quad in the back of a full size pickup. And I would go with a Honda. They just keep going and keep going. I've had sportsmans and they make good power. But that belt driven shit has screwed me in deep water twice. I would definitely go with chain. That can am is a beast too but more money.

I have a 02 Yamaha Kodiak 400 that's been good to me. Its auto, push button 4x4 and has low range. I bought it used a 4 years back and have never had a problem with it. It gets used for everything.....hunting, pleasure and lot's of work around my property

I have two Polaris Sportsmans, both 2006 models. One is a 500 and one is a 700. I drive the 700 and I'll be honest. I beat the living shit out of that machine. Only lately has it started giving me issues. I put two thousand miles on it in the first 4 years I had it and it was always reliable. It started when it was -26 degrees and I wanted to go ice fishing, and ran like a champ when the temps got up into the 90s. The last three years it has sat since we moved to Nebraska and there isn't shit for places to ride. Heading back to MN for the 4th of July to beat it up some more.
The 500 was mostly ridden by my wife. Least to say, she isn't nearly as aggressive when it comes to riding. Her wheeler has had an issue with the fan recently, but I believe it's only a temp sensor. My brother is working on it as I type this.
Lots of friends and family ride wheelers also and they own Polaris, Can Am, and Hondas. I will definitely give it to Can Am with their power steering. It's so comfortable to drive that it's unreal.
The only thing I would stay away from are the Arctic Cats. Their new stuff might be better, but I hear about lots of problems with them.

I never understood the side by side thing. You have to trailer them. You can only fit 2 people with a tiny bed. For almost 12k. You could get a small pickup. Or a built Toyota pickup. Gives you a heater, possibly ac. That you can do much more with. I had a 94 Toyota pickup. Lifted locked geared twin double cases. A flatbed and I could take it anywhere. Side by sides and even quads couldn't dare go where I would take it. It would fit on the same trailer that a side by side sits on. Obviously if your hunting trails specific to Tuva and ATS that is different. That being said. I do like having a quad in the back of a full size pickup. And I would go with a Honda. They just keep going and keep going. I've had sportsmans and they make good power. But that belt driven shit has screwed me in deep water twice. I would definitely go with chain. That can am is a beast too but more money.

they make cabs if you want heat and in Sd all you need is a license plate and you can drive them any where you want. I have one set up for ice fishing and it is nice to get in it in the garage and be on the lake and fishing in less than 20 minutes. But as you said those little yotas are bad ass and do go about any where know a couple ranchers with them with flat beds

I started with sport quads (2wd, manual trans & horsepower :) ). Obviously that didn't get it done for hunting/camping so I picked up a Suzuki King Quad 700. It's been flipped over backwards twice, rolled god knows how many times, pulled trailers up & down the Big Horns a dozen times or so... & still fires up every single time. I just can't kill it (& I should have by now). The down side is our local dealer closed.

I've since moved on to a 2013 Polaris Ranger 900. 2,000lbs towing capacity, 1,000lbs bed capacity (large enough to fit a full size pallet) & seating for 3. I've added 27" ITP Mega Mayhem tires, front & rear bumpers, CB radio (very handy), DOT rated front & rear windows, ditched the shotty plastic stearing wheel & topped it off with a 30" LED lightbar. My other 2 quads sit & collect dust now, I pretty much have no use for them.

Several of the folks I ride with run Can-Am Commanders. Damn do they make power! But the engine sits right between the rider & passenger. In the summer it get hot as Fu*# & they make way too much noise. Luckily the motor in the new Ranger sits under the bed, no heat & way less noise; it's not nearly as quick as the Can-Am.

t

My first was a Honda. It was old and well used before I got it but it was a solid machine.
My next was a Polaris Sportsman 500. Man, that thing sucked! Ate starters like a fat kid eats Skittles. It finally blew up while sitting at idle. Good riddance.
Replaced with a Yamaha Kodiak and it was a very good machine. Since replaced that with a Yamaha Rhino. Rhino is a winner! I have owned it since 2007 and never put a wrench or part on it other than regular maintenance.

My first was a Honda. It was old and well used before I got it but it was a solid machine.
My next was a Polaris Sportsman 500. Man, that thing sucked! Ate starters like a fat kid eats Skittles. It finally blew up while sitting at idle. Good riddance.
Replaced with a Yamaha Kodiak and it was a very good machine. Since replaced that with a Yamaha Rhino. Rhino is a winner! I have owned it since 2007 and never put a wrench or part on it other than regular maintenance.

My folks had a Rhino before their Commander. It wasn't very quick but it was pretty much indestructable. Damn good machine; IIRC, it had over 3000 miles on it before they traded it off & still ran like a champ. I believe the Rhino line is dead now, the new Yammer-Hammer is called the Viking.

t

My folks had a Rhino before their Commander. It wasn't very quick but it was pretty much indestructable. Damn good machine; IIRC, it had over 3000 miles on it before they traded it off & still ran like a champ. I believe the Rhino line is dead now, the new Yammer-Hammer is called the Viking.

t

YIKES! Looks like 2013 was the last year for the Rhino. Viking that I saw was a much larger machine; similar in size to the Polaris Ranger. I like the size of the Rhino, as it is much more nimble.

YIKES! Looks like 2013 was the last year for the Rhino. Viking that I saw was a much larger machine; similar in size to the Polaris Ranger. I like the size of the Rhino, as it is much more nimble.

The Rhino is smaller but I don't remember how much. What's the Rhino measure outside the tires? 54" or 56" IIRC. My Ranger is right at 60"

t

I vote Honda. I have a 1987 Foreman, 1997 Foreman, 2005 Foreman and a 2007 Rincon... let's just say. .. I only have replaced 2 batteries on 2 of them and they start every time! I also have and owned several King Quads, Grizzly's Polaris for a very short while too noise and road like crap and Can Ams. Go Honda all the way or Can Am.

I have a pair of Sportsman HO Polaris quads and I can say this: They have not really ran well ever. I spent plenty of money on them and have spent even some more money in maintenance and proper storage and these bitches still make me regret not buying a Jeep CJ5, a CJ7, or a small truck instead of them. Dying all the time, can't seem to get the jets correct to make them run well, plus the factory batteries are straight butt ass…I'd buy a side by side or even better, a real vehicle, if I had it to do all over again. 4 Wheelers, in my view, are the dial-up internet of now. At least get a side by side or better yet, a jeep or small 4x4 and allow logic & reason to roll you to triumph.

4 wheelers are the big-wheels of yesteryear…but buy a real vehicle— not another 4-wheeler variant that is over priced and under built.

Another vote for Honda. I haven't messed with too many of their newer (EFI/Auto) models, but going way back to the 4Trax I have taken them through some diabolical shit, from running around Sabine Pass in south Louisiana in several feet of standing water to running them around Afgh with the poo dust. I set about to see if I could kill the one I had in Afgh and did zero maintenance other than put fuel in it and plug flat tires. Zero filter cleaning, zero oil checks much less changes, I just ran the bitch like I wanted it to die and catch fire and I could not make it break.
Another consideration I found with the Hondas were that they tended to be lighter (except the big 4x4) so that when I did high-center it on a stump or sink it to the axles I could man-handle it out myself.
I've had the chance to mess around with some of the nicer, sportier quads from the other manufacturers, but I have yet to find one I'd trust in the back country as much as I do a Honda.

Honda! We farm for a living. We are on 4 Whlers ever day. They make Honda's then they make all the rest. I did just sell an '04 Polaris Ranger. We had good luck with it but it had more little maintenence issues than the Honda 4-whlers. I did replace it with a '14 Ranger tho. The Rancher line of 4-whlers is a no BS damn good 4-whler!

Another vote for Honda. I haven't messed with too many of their newer (EFI/Auto) models, but going way back to the 4Trax I have taken them through some diabolical shit, from running around Sabine Pass in south Louisiana in several feet of standing water to running them around Afgh with the poo dust. I set about to see if I could kill the one I had in Afgh and did zero maintenance other than put fuel in it and plug flat tires. Zero filter cleaning, zero oil checks much less changes, I just ran the bitch like I wanted it to die and catch fire and I could not make it break.
Another consideration I found with the Hondas were that they tended to be lighter (except the big 4x4) so that when I did high-center it on a stump or sink it to the axles I could man-handle it out myself.
I've had the chance to mess around with some of the nicer, sportier quads from the other manufacturers, but I have yet to find one I'd trust in the back country as much as I do a Honda.

Thanks for the info. On another note I see it appears you're up in Chicago? Heading up your direction today.

Thanks for the info. On another note I see it appears you're up in Chicago? Heading up your direction today.

I'm actually in the sandbox for a little while longer. The link in my signature is for my brother's bar on the Southside, where I'll likely be spending my time once I'm home. If you like craft beer it's right off the interstate and definitely worth stopping in. If you decide to drop in shoot me a PM and I'll tell you how to spot my brother.

You're bro owns the public house? I got a buddy that goes there quite a bit. I don't get up there hardly ever. Just passing through today to go to Cabelas in Hammond IN.

You're bro owns the public house? I got a buddy that goes there quite a bit. I don't get up there hardly ever. Just passing through today to go to Cabelas in Hammond IN.

Yeah, I'm a (VERY) silent investor. The kitchen is done now and we're looking to start slowly with some food in the next few months, then once I'm home start the kitchen going for real. It's a super convenient stop on the way back into the City for all the folks coming back from 3 Floyds or Greenbush on the weekends. It's even dog-friendly.

I was going to apologize for the total derail, but since it's your thread, we can talk about great beer if we want to :D

This last year I bought a year old 2012 yamaha grizzly 700 automatic with power steering for 6500 and I cant complain or be more pleased. Great quad and more power than I'll ever need.

Yeah, I'm a (VERY) silent investor. The kitchen is done now and we're looking to start slowly with some food in the next few months, then once I'm home start the kitchen going for real. It's a super convenient stop on the way back into the City for all the folks coming back from 3 Floyds or Greenbush on the weekends. It's even dog-friendly.

I was going to apologize for the total derail, but since it's your thread, we can talk about great beer if we want to :D

Cool man. I can talk good beer anytime! Drinking some Dogfish Head 60 IPA right now.

Well after working at a dealership for 7 plus years here's my advice. Stay away from arctic cat, they are heavy and seem unreliable when pushed. Kawasaki has a terrible belt belt set up and seem to go cheap on materials. Suzuki seems like a decent brand but a little underpowered. Honda is just reliable, decent power and the only machine with a gearbox anymore. Yamaha I owned a grizzly 700 for 5 hears and beat it like a rented mule and it never let me down. Although the diff lock can cause more damage than good if used wrong. Can am is a decent brand, just traded one in, lots of power but the rest of the drive train may not be up to the task. The polaris line is hard to tell, they moved their plant to Mexico so it can be a crapshoot on what you get.
So all in all I'd vote for the yamaha. Look for a clean used one, do your services and it will reward you with years of service.

Which model of the Yamaha? What purpose are you using it for? Farm? Trail riding? Look good for the fourth of July parade? Sand dunes? Take to the beach? Hunting?

Don't want to hijack thread, but its an older one. Looking to buy a side by side for trail exploration, some hunting, etc. Sounds like Yamaha and Honda have the best rep - wondering about John Deere?

The Honda will disappoint you. For those purposes check out the Teryx. Can Am. Or the Rhino. I have owned the Teryx. Now have the Polaris Robby Gordon... I hunt and font on the dunes as well as mountains. The suspension is insane but there is really no bed. Honda I love for quads but have missed the mark on the UTV scene.

Check out those to see if you need a bed or not. And how many people are you carrying? Adding seats to the bed is cool but can jack up the stability in the mountains or dunes. .. steering etc

Of course. Take a look at the Can Am. Amazing motor and suspension.. but not sure if it is what you need. Had a bunch of friends with the Rhino there are others that are better

Well finally got around to getting a quad. I went with a Polaris 570 Sportsman. A lot of bike for the $. Snapped a pic while out checking trail cams.

Last edited:
I think that 570 is going to be hard to beat for the money. Can Am does have a competitively priced 450 and 500 that are worth looking at.

I own a can am 1000xt and love it lots of power for anything I want to do! My parents had a Yamaha Kodiak that was a great bike no issues until it was around 8-10yrs old I guess. They just traded it in on a 570 Polaris Sportsman that was a great deal and runs good thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk