• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*Lost our new puppy today.* UPDATE

KAman9803

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Hattiesburg, MS
Sad day for my girlfriend and I. We recently moved in together and decided to get a dog. Brought this little spaniel/lab mix home Monday before last and immediately fell in love with him. He became part of the family the day we got him. Unfortunately he came down with symptoms of Parvo this past Monday. Brought him to the vet and they've been doing everything possible all week but he couldn't fight anymore. Didn't even have him 2 weeks but its been hard on us both, I've always had a soft spot for dogs and it sucks to see something like this happen.

543b51d7.jpg

Re: Lost our new puppy today.

frown.gif

Very sad to hear. Things like this happen, though, and the best thing to do is be sad for a bit, then when you're ready, find another puppy that needs a loving home.

Best wishes to you both!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotLash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
frown.gif

Very sad to hear. Things like this happen, though, and the best thing to do is be sad for a bit, then when you're ready, find another puppy that needs a loving home.

Best wishes to you both! </div></div>

+1, theres 100's being put down every day. They really work their way into your heart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotLash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
frown.gif

Best wishes to you both! </div></div>

+2.. If anything he had 2 wonderful weeks with people who loved him...

Parvo is basically puppy AIDs. Pretty rare that a puppy will survive. We were looking at a puppy several years ago and found out it had parvo and died. I immediately took my dog down to get a booster. It can be easy to spread.

Don't let it discourage you. You need to get another dog because you don't want this event to be the one you guys remember as "moving in together"

Parvo killed my gsd in less than 24 hours. Sucks

SOrry for your loss -

I was reading about Parvo in that book The Daily Coyote - it has to be caught at first symptoms. The Coyote had Parvo but lived.

I'm not sure when the shots can be given as a puppy but hopefully you'll get a new puppy!

My daughter hs a dog like that -

beautiful dogs!

So, sorry for yoru loss, its like getting a newborn baby, so so sad. Agree with hotlash, get another as soon as you can...

Terrible experience... my daughter lost her new Boston Terrier pup last year to Parvo. I learned she spent $3K trying to save the pup but in the end had to put him down.

I feel terrible for you. The loss of a pet or partner is a terrible blow. I like dogs better then most people... and if there is a heaven, all my dogs will be there.

Warning, Parvo is generally spread from a non-symptomatic carrier dogs feces... so don't take a new pup to a dog park. And if you live in apartment, try to avoid where others take their dogs to poop. And for the vaccine to work you need to get all the doses. Fortunately, as dogs age they develope stronger immune systems...

I am very sorry to read about your puppy, provo is a killer. He left this earth with knowing what love is, some never know about love. The shelters are full of all kinds of animals that need love i am sure you will find another puppy to love and wil love you back. crow hop

Been down the Parvo road before with a little rotty pup. Sucked to say the least. The breader was at fault (poor/dirty condtions/cross contamination) and we in turn received another pup for replacement.

Glad not all breeders are the same, really hate a lot of breeders out there.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's amazing how quickly you can become attached to such a little critter.

When I was in my late teens to early twenties, I had a Dalmatian named Pongo and he had perfect markings. I got married and moved into an apartment so being unable to take him with me, I gave him to a friend who lived out in the country. It broke my heart having to get rid of him. Then, I received word that somehow, he was run over by a car. Needless to say, I bawled.

When I hear of or see people abusing animals, let's just say it puts me over the edge in a really bad way.

It's always a hard thing to lose them. I've had dogs all my life, their such faithful friends.
My condolences

Sorry for the loss of your pup. Thats a tough one.

We got lucky. Mercy, out APBT, got parvo when she was about 3 months old. Was in the vet for a week on IV's and such. Vet said only reason she survived was she had already had one round of vaccine and she was a little older than most pups that get parvo.

Sorry for your loss.

Saw these guys at SHOT: http://environmentrestoration.com/

Stupid name (SNiPER Spray) but the shit flat out works. The Rep said they have killed parvo with it by giving a concentrated solution to the dog. Have tested it and friends have tested it including overseas contractors for body armor funk and disinfectant and a friend's wife who has a Vet degree from Texas A&M tested it. All results are the claims are accurate. Some yard workers got into poison ivy and sprayed one arm with injury specific spray and the other with the SNiPER spray. 24 hours later, the SNiPER sprayed arm was good to go. The other arm was still inflamed and no good.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Get back out there and find yourself a pup. Get as much health background as the owner can give you and as soon as you pick him or her up, make your appointment at your vet for a checkup and shots.

My Bodie ( German Sheppard), survived Parvo. I credit my exwife with seeing him acting strange ( no energy) , when he was 3 months old. She just said he is not acting right. I came home, took him to vet and he barely made it after a week in Vet Hospital. Saw next door neighbors dog die of it. What a f'd up nasty disease

I am sorry for your lose. Dogs are like people you can trust. I miss my Bodie all the time and he left us many years ago.

Heart goes out to you. It is better to love than not to love at all. Been there-done that and will do again. My 14 yr old dobie is nearing the end of his time and as I think of the 1000s of good times we had, compared to nothing, I will make the same choice to have a close dogie buddy again but I have 2 more to help me go through our lose when it comes. I see so many dogs in ads from the shelters that would make wonderful companions, try them out and see what they have. --hayboy

Sorry for your loss! I have had parvo get into a litter of my pup's (GSD'S) 3 total. I couldn't afford the vet bills for them, so the vet order a couple of bottles of pills for them. The med's where for upset belly, tring to keep fuilds in them. He told me to buy peda-lite (spell) for children, and papto-besmol (spell). The peda-lite was to be givin every two hours from a syringe he gave me. I pulled two of the pup's thru it. I fell it hurt there temperment with people. It took them a little bit before they trusted me after force feeding them.

Note: I did pull two of the three pup's thru this but if I had to do it again I think I'd have the pup's put down.

If you are buying a pup from a breeder and the pup has been winged by the mother make sure to get proof of the first set of shots and maybe the second depending on the age of said pup.

My pup's were winged for about a week and a half and they picked it up. Once the mother stops feeding them they can get it quickly, the mothers milk has the properties to keep them from catching it.

Hope this helps someone from having to go thru this in the future. Get new born pups there shots as soon as the mother wings them. If you see them trying to eat food and not sucking from there mother take them to the vet. Let the vet know there not feeding from there mother if there to young he my have to give them a starter (smaller dose) booster.

This goes both ways.After my post above I found out my brother in law's lab stayed with his electric chair all yesterday, he has been dead about 1 month now.

Sorry about your loss. My dog saves me from myself on a daily basis. When you and your GF are feeling up to it, I'd suggest adopting another puppy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrible experience... my daughter lost her new Boston Terrier pup last year to Parvo. I learned she spent $3K trying to save the pup but in the end had to put him down.</div></div>

This is ridiculous: no dog is worth that much. She should have taken him to Dr. 22 and been done with it.

They make new doggies every day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrible experience... my daughter lost her new Boston Terrier pup last year to Parvo. I learned she spent $3K trying to save the pup but in the end had to put him down.</div></div>

This is ridiculous: no dog is worth that much. She should have taken him to Dr. 22 and been done with it.

They make new doggies every day.</div></div>

You mean a dog isn't worth that much TO YOU. And stop shitting in this man's thread, please.

To me, a dog is a companion. A friend whose allegience never wavers. Twice now, I got a second dog, and twice I gave them to new owners within weeks because I felt it was too much (I was in the middle of a deep depression). I am sad at my decision to find new homes for the pups, and I will never again take in a dog that I don't intend to keep to the bitter end. The dog is one of God's greatest gifts to his children, and we are bound to care for them through thick and thin. If you don't feel that way and want to express that view, so be it. But please, not in this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrible experience... my daughter lost her new Boston Terrier pup last year to Parvo. I learned she spent $3K trying to save the pup but in the end had to put him down.</div></div>

Kinda harsh don't you think? Gotta say if I had a choice between saving I don't know lets say... you and my dog? You ain't gonna make it my friend. My dogs are part of my family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrible experience... my daughter lost her new Boston Terrier pup last year to Parvo. I learned she spent $3K trying to save the pup but in the end had to put him down.</div></div>

Kinda harsh don't you think? Gotta say if I had a choice between saving I don't know lets say... you and my dog? You ain't gonna make it my friend. My dogs are part of my family. </div></div>

OP- I am very sorry for your loss it has to be hard. Anyone who has lost a pet natural causes or otherwise knows that it is hard. I had to put one of mine down a little over a year ago and it was tough.

tullius- I am with Mechanic on this one. Dogs become part of most peoples families thus making them near and dear to our heart. If you don't like other peoples decision then don't post. To each is his own, if you choose to see "Dr. 22" by all means but don't judge others for their choices as they are THEIR choices.

Re: *Lost our new puppy today.* UPDATE

As hard as it was to lose our dog my girlfriend and I decided it would be best to get another dog. I've gone through 3 gallons of bleach cleaning the house and yard hoping to kill the parvo that might be left. I brought this little girl home from the shelter yesterday. Shelter said she was a lab mix, looking at her makes me think there might be some pit in there.

IMG_0534.jpg

Grew up with a pit lab mix. She was a great family dog and very loyal. Sorry you lost your puppy but hopefully you'll remember the good times with her and enjoy the good times with the new dog.

Good looking pup! But, 'lab mix' my butt, theres definately some pittie in there. Lab/pit will make ya a great dog!

Sorry for your loss, good on you for bleaching everything you could. Once you have parvo, its tough as hell to get rid of! We raised a lot of pups when I was growing up for cow dogs, my folks were lucky and they never had a case of parvo, but it is devastating when you do

You will be buying those Mallards by the truckload. I know my GSD will go through his in abot 15 minutes.
smile.gif

Glad to see you got another dog. Wish you guys all the best.

We got a pitador/labrabull from the animal shelter. He is more pitbull than lab but he is a good dog. My wife was worried at first but she now loves him and he is great with the kids. A vigilant guard dog too.

I think the shelters know pit bull's are largely unadoptable so they never say the dog has pit bull in them. They said our guy was a shepherd cross - yeah right.
wink.gif

That dog is def part Pit Bull. I have a 9 year old female that I adopted. She's absolutely the best dog I've ever had. There was a reason Petey from the Little Rascals was a pit bull. THat's because every house hold had them in the 20's and 30's. Best family dogs you can have.

And you gotta love that pit bull 'smile'!!

Sad to hear about your pup. Smart of you to try an kill the rest of the Parvo virus around. Ubet is right is tough as hell to get out of a kennel or running yard. I use to have GSPs for quail hunting an Parvo was the #1 enemy in my neck of the woods. Heartworms #2. Good looking pup! Good luck with pup #2. Looks like that ones got buddy potential.

Sorry for your loss, I too have a huge soft spot for dogs. It truly is like losing a family member no matter how short of a time you had him.

At least you gave him a good life and was happy with you and I'm sure he appreciates it.

They make new doggies every day. </div></div>

They make new Tullius' and .22 everyday too... Just saying.

Great looking Pup!! I hope you wiped out the parvo as best you could. Parvo sucks...

You sir, are one sick twisted puppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A dog is a companion, and is not a freakin commodity. Anybody who has that attitude, should not even think about having a pet. You don't deserve one.

Great lookin' pup, as others have said. Has a nice color!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrible experience... my daughter lost her new Boston Terrier pup last year to Parvo. I learned she spent $3K trying to save the pup but in the end had to put him down.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">They make new Tullius' and .22 everyday too... Just saying.</span></div></div>

HA HA HA @ HighBinder! Well said, man, well said!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sleepymonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As hard as it was to lose our dog my girlfriend and I decided it would be best to get another dog. I've gone through 3 gallons of bleach cleaning the house and yard hoping to kill the parvo that might be left. I brought this little girl home from the shelter yesterday. Shelter said she was a lab mix, looking at her makes me think there might be some pit in there.

IMG_0534.jpg
</div></div>

I'm betting pit/rhodesian ridgeback mix - I have seen many shelters (just check out petfinder.com) try to pass off rhodesian ridgebacks as labs. A friend adopted two pups of that mix - very loyal, but yes they were aggressive with other animals. They need to learn who's alpha early.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen many shelters (just check out petfinder.com) try to pass off rhodesian ridgebacks as labs.</div></div>

Haaa, I guess that backward hair on his back wasnt a clue or anything huh??