• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Low Light Scope reccomendations...

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I'm looking for a great low light scope with no more then 10x magnification. Variable is fine or a fixed 3,4,6 power.

Re: Low Light Scope reccomendations...

For what purpose?

Plenty of scopes exist that are under 10x magnification and that are either fixed or variable power.

Hunting Low light under 100 yards.

objective diameter: 50mm. 56 would be a bit better, but it just becomes unnecessary large.

depending on your age, don't go for too much magnification (your iris doesn't open up that much when you get older). for below 100 ... 6x should be more than enough. for example: in our hunting competitions out to 200, you are not allowed to use more than 8x - and that's more than good enough _for hunting_.

Zeiss Diavari
Swarovski Z6
Premier Hunter

Budget?

Depending on in what country you live in.
I live in sweden and here its fairly easy to find second hand Zeiss Diavari Z 3-12x56 non illuminated for around 6-700 Euro.
I think that it's excellent value, a great scope and decent money.

I wouldent bother to much about illumnination or not, all depending on your wallet.
If you have a great big wallet, illumination is surely worth it.
But if you are on a limited budget, I would prefer non illuminated quality to illuminated rubbish.

Håkan

2.5-10x50, or 56, Schmidt and Bender or the Swarovski Z6, best low light scopes I've used. They both extend those last, or first, few minutes of light. Just my point of view....

S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 flashdot #9 is a fantastic low light hunting scope
I run one on my 6.8 AR for hunting hogs
With a full moon I have taken hogs at 200 yards

Based on your need for a low light scope, 10x magnification and variable power, I would suggest a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 TR22. You can see it here:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-accupoint-2-5-10x56-30mm-riflescope.html

This scope has good glass for a reasonable price of around $900. The 56mm front objective will give you lots of light gathering power. The dual fiber-optic/tritium will allow you great option in low or very low light without a need for any batteries.

great optic
the accupoints and the new leupold firedots are hands down the best values for low light hunting

top end euro glass is better, but in all honesty, wouldn't enable a shot that they wouldn't

All you need is a 7mm exit pupil, which is not hard to find in a low power scope.

If you will afford yourself the best, Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56.
I have the illuminated FFP mildot version and it amazes me what I can see in low to no light conditions.
The reticle in mine is very fine so the illunination helps find the crosshairs after dark.
I will probably be buried with that scope.

Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50 or 3-12x56 with Zeiss no.60 illuminated reticle is THE scope to beat for low light hunting. Nothing can touch them. Not even Swaro Z6.

I don't know if you can buy it in the US but Zeiss Classic Diatal fixed 7x50 with illuminated no.60 is almost comparable to the Victories in performance at half price. Zeiss Classic Diatal

All these scopes can be retrofitted with a target turret/BDC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you will afford yourself the best, Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56.
I have the illuminated FFP mildot version and it amazes me what I can see in low to no light conditions.
The reticle in mine is very fine so the illunination helps find the crosshairs after dark.
I will probably be buried with that scope. </div></div>

Let me know where so I can bring a shovel!! Just kidding...
laugh.gif

2.5-10x50 Trijicon Accupoint ... had one for a while and only sold it because im stuck on FFP scopes and I like things simple. In the low light it performed great. Used it White tail hunting in NE Montana last year and prior to sunrise and sunset it was crisp and performed great.

I like a 1-4 , 1-5 scope with a wide field of view and a huge exit pupil ...
But I don't think anyone makes something like that.

Should I be looking for a 30mm tube and the largest objective I can find!? Correct?

Another vote for Trijicon Accupoint scopes. I have a 3-9x40 with the green mil-dot reticle that I use for predator hunting at night. It is fantastic. I would guess the 2.5-10x56 would be even better...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Should I be looking for .... the largest objective I can find!? Correct? </div></div>

In theory, yes. In reality, not necessarily. A high-quality scope with ~42mm objective might transmit more light at a given power than a low-quality scope with a 50+mm objective. And a mediocre-quality scope might transmit as much light as a high quality scope, but it might not have the same image quality and clarity in low light.

You can certainly get into better quality for reasonable money by going with a fixed power, but your hunting terrain and style will dictate whether a variable is more appropriate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunting Low light under 100 yards. </div></div>

Loopy 6X42 fixed in Talleys.

$399 for a Zeiss Conquest 3x9-40. Very good low light capabilities and clarity for the price. Have one on my mountain rifle hunting stick.

Depends on how much $ you are willing to shell out but this is a very good option on the lower end of the price range.

That Luepold 6x42 looks like the one. I was hoping for a 30mm tube but Burris and Leupold dont make one with a fixed power...

If we are speaking low light scopes, there is a tremendous differance betwen European manufacturers and Leupold.
I would NOT chose anything else than a good european scope for that purpose and the differance is tremendous.

If you are looking for 6x42 scopes those can be found secondhanded for very decent money in Europe as mostly users today want variables.

You don't get any more light at all through a 30tube than a 1" or 26mm. They lightray through the scope is like 3/8" and regardless of tubedimension not using the tube.
If you want more light you have to choose a bigger objective.

Traditionally by European manufacturers 1" and 26mm tubes have been used for all fixed powers and all variables with less than 3X magnification range, while 30mm have been used for all scopes with 4X magnification range or more. So the tube dimension are for the mechanics and the elevation and not the light.

Håkan

Where do I find used euro scopes ?
What brand should I look for or model?

3,4,5 or 6x??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Zeiss Diavari
Swarovski Z6
Premier Hunter

Budget?

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunting Low light under 100 yards. </div></div>

You sure you can get within 100Y of him?

The human eye cannot utilize more than a 4mm exit pupil. So, 10x needs a 40mm objective, 12x needs 50mm, and 14x needs a 56mm obj. Light transmission through the scope depends on the a number of things. Objective size determines the amount of light gathered initially, but is not quite as important as: The number of lenses, what they are made of, how well they are polished, and the coatings used determines how much light makes it through the scope and how much is reflected away from your eye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The human eye cannot utilize more than a 4mm exit pupil. So, 10x needs a 40mm objective, 12x needs 50mm, and 14x needs a 56mm obj. Light transmission through the scope depends on the a number of things. Objective size determines the amount of light gathered initially, but is not quite as important as: The number of lenses, what they are made of, how well they are polished, and the coatings used determines how much light makes it through the scope and how much is reflected away from your eye. </div></div>

You'r just right, if you are 80 years of age or something.
Othervise we normally speak about 7mm, but there is a number of individuals who even can get it up to close to 8mm

Håkan

There's always variation in nature. This is the only data I've found on age and corresponding eye pupil size so far:

002f.jpg

Yes, pupil size declines with age on average, but you may find a 70 year old with a maximum pupil size bigger than some 7 year old. Arguing about the "right" exit pupil size for a particular age is like measuring the "right" size of shoes by a person's height. There is a correlation, but that won't help the individual person.

What you can say for sure is that on a variable scope, a large objective is better for low light because you can turn the magnification higher before the image gets too dark, and magnification is especially important in low light.

7mm is average size in darkness. In daylight, it's 4mm. Look it up.

Why 10X for 100 yard night shooting. Low the power, higher exit pupil size, as some mentioned.
Why not go thermal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mm is average size in darkness. In daylight, it's 4mm. Look it up.</div></div>
I'd suggest you look up the thread title.

Lowlight to me is Not daylight.I would think DrDeath was talking about last minute shooting light or shooting with the moon or stars.Not trying to be a ass thats just how I read his post. Oh Zeiss or Z6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSKevin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$399 for a Zeiss Conquest 3x9-40. Very good low light capabilities and clarity for the price. Have one on my mountain rifle hunting stick.

Depends on how much $ you are willing to shell out but this is a very good option on the lower end of the price range. </div></div>

Exactly what I was going to say for the budget minded hunter. Pound for pound, for the price, it's hard to beat a Zeiss! Man, I'm gonna have to get a marketing job somewhere!! Here's the cheapest new price that I have found, free shipping.

http://www.sportoptics.com/zeiss-conquest-rifle-scopes.aspx

HOLY CRAP you guys are over thinking this.........

6X Schmidt and Bender

cant afford it.........

6X42 in any of the better known scopes and you be fine, for fucks sake its hunting not bench rest .22!!!!!!!!

This is deer hunting in the upper north woods. At dawn or late dusk I need to be able to make a low light shot maybe out to 200 yards but usually 100. S&B 6x? How much? I was looking at the leupold 6x.... Is the S&B better?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOLY CRAP you guys are over thinking this.........

6X Schmidt and Bender

cant afford it.........

6X42 in any of the better known scopes and you be fine, for fucks sake its hunting not bench rest .22!!!!!!!! </div></div>

deer you say...... upper north woods.... that means 275-300lbs.....that means 18-24" target area even at 200yrds that like 10-20moa, even a little 6x should give you the visual ability to hit that.

http://swfa.com/Schmidt-Bender-6x42-Fixed-Riflescope-P1653.aspx

http://swfa.com/Schmidt-Bender-8x56-Fixed-Riflescope-P1656.aspx

but if you are just worried about the 30 minutes of dawn and dusk go with a variable 3-what ever or 4-what ever

I have a 3.5-14x42mm Leica going on a 300wsm I'm good to go not matter what, where, or time I'm hunting....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is deer hunting in the upper north woods. At dawn or late dusk I need to be able to make a low light shot maybe out to 200 yards but usually 100. S&B 6x? How much? I was looking at the leupold 6x.... Is the S&B better?

</div></div>

Leupold 6x42mm is good, but the S&B will be better glass. S&B will cost 3x as much though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do I find used euro scopes ?
What brand should I look for or model?

3,4,5 or 6x?? </div></div>
If it hasn't been said yet, call Euro Optics. Vendor here Alex is a good dude an awesome service.
Im quite happy with my accupoint I got from him. Good luck

I really like my Trijicon Accupiont 2.5-10x56. With a decent amount of moonlight it works really well.

I have four scopes which I love. Love. I have three leupold VXII 1-4x20 which have accounted for more coyotes orator dogs and western jacks then I can count. Just great great scopes. I have a Leupold Mk4 M3 6x which is atop my almost 20year old Rem 700pss with original DD Ross base and Mk4 rings.

A few years ago I found a need for a low light scope where I have been hunting. I also have found that I love the fixed power scopes and no longer want a variable. The leupold VxIII-6x, the S&B 6x and the Zeiss are now what I will be looking at . Maybe the SS also. I just need and value the opinions on this forum. So I will appreciate all info thrown at me. Thanks. Keep it coming.

take a good look at the IOR 6x42mm its got all you need and works like a champ.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a great low light scope with no more then 10x magnification. Variable is fine or a fixed 3,4,6 power. </div></div>

Crazy Horse seems to have one for sale, can't get much better than this:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2738955#Post2738955

Also a demo unit from SWFA:
http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-3-12x56-Victory-Diavari-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P2765.aspx

Under 100 yards you could also be well served by a 1.1-4x24 Varipoint for $999: http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-11-4x24-Varipoint-VMV-T-DEMO-B-P282.aspx

or

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-15-6x42-Victory-Diavari-DEMO-B-P1692.aspx

I just looked at a Leupold 4x33. Very bright.