• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Low Temp Brass Annealing

Bluesop7

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
West Texas
So I tumbled my 223 brass with my SS media and put them in the oven at 170 deg (lowest my oven will go) to dry quickly. Well...one thing led to another and I left them in there for about 5 hours. I know annealing is all about time and temperature but I have no clue how 5 hours at 170 deg will affect brass. Is there any chance my brass was annealed or is that temperature just too low to do any harm?

Re: Low Temp Brass Annealing

That they are. This is only my second time drying them in the oven and both times there is discoloration of the brass (dark colored). I assume this is where the water was when it evaporated off or is this an indication of bad brass? This is all range brass (I got lucky and it appears next to no one picks up 223 brass at my range) so I'm not sure of the quality of it.

annealing requires temps above 900 F i think, i dont think you annealed the case heads, but its your safety not mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">annealing requires temps above 900 F i think, i dont think you annealed the case heads, but its your safety not mine. </div></div>

Read this

Here is a quick quote from the artical.

"The critical time and temperature at which the grain structure reforms into something suitable for case necks is 662 degrees (F) for some 15 minutes. A higher temperature, say from 750 to 800 degrees, will do the same job in a few seconds. If brass is allowed to reach temperatures higher than this (regardless of the time), it will be made irretrievably and irrevocably too soft."

I have done the same and shot them with no ill effect.

Brass anneals at 480 f. But it takes hours not seconds at that temp. You are
fine at 170.