• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

LRF 1000+yrds - are they available?

300snipe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
Northern Nevada, NV
I currently have a Leupold RX-III true ballistics rangefinder that says it will range to 800 yards. Does anyone know if there are other LRFs with ballistics that go to 1000+ yards?

Would also be nice to have one that is more than 8x magnification.

Re: LRF 1000+yrds - are they available?

The ballistics in rangefinders are unlikely to be accurate, and I know that the angle calculation in the current ones are inaccurate at long distances and significant angles.

My recommendation is to forget ballistic calculators in a rangefinder, and just concentrate on getting a good rangefinder.

Good rangefilder: The PLRF will get you beyond 1000 for around $3500.

My Leica CRF 1200 has been good out to 1500 yds (weather/time of day depending), and my shooting partners Swarovski has been good for ~2000 meters (~2187 yds)!!! Incredible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My used Leica LRF 1200 has ranged to 1600+ (building) on a cold clear night.

It seems to be able to do 1000+ yards with regularity. </div></div>

Agree...+1

I used my Leica 1200 CRF out to 1233yds today.

My Swaro stomps it though for ranging/glass wise.

Also had a Bushnell elite 1500 w/ARC, but the glass was shit. Looked like a Tasco scope. Sold it pretty quickly. Ranged very well though.

Vectronix PLRF is the least expensive unit that will always range past 1000.

The hunting LRFs will have trouble ranging small targets, into the sun, etc.

With the PLRF, it is very unusual to have a target that can't be ranged accurately to 3000m.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vectronix PLRF is the least expensive unit that will always range past 1000. </div></div>

I disagree. I don't think I ran into a single time when I couldn't range an object past 1000 yards with the Swarovski Laser Guide for the days that I had it.

I cracked 1308 meters off a 1 MIL flat faced brown rock a couple days ago at lunch time in full sun across two valleys... That's something my Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC WANTED but never could.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cracked 1308 meters off a 1 MIL flat faced brown rock a couple days ago at lunch time in full sun across two valleys... That's something my Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC WANTED but never could. </div></div>

Hell I do that every morning before breakfast!
grin.gif

I've got a Zeiss brf 8x45, great optics, Quick range time compared to the Nikon. Ranged a black Lama at 380m, sheep at 740m and trees in the distance at 1523m. this was at 2.30 pm in 35'C.Mirage was at 12mph according to Mr Wind-meter.

Also what Lindy said, concentrate on getting a very good RF.
No doubt you would have a range card made up for your particular rifle/load anyway.
The ballistics are just a rough guide anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cracked 1308 meters off a 1 MIL flat faced brown rock a couple days ago at lunch time in full sun across two valleys... That's something my Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC WANTED but never could. </div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

Harr Harr Harr bro!
Is this one of those 'my dick is bigger than yours' things?! haha
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cracked 1308 meters off a 1 MIL flat faced brown rock a couple days ago at lunch time in full sun across two valleys... That's something my Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC WANTED but never could. </div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

Harr Harr Harr bro!
Is this one of those 'my dick is bigger than yours' things?! haha
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Not at all Mate.
Just messing around.
laugh.gif

I first bougth a leupy RX-IV brush camo intended to scan up to 1200y... I've never got a mesurement passed 680y...

so I sold it and took a Leica 1200 rangemaster : so tiny so handy so precise so fast, took 1100 meters this week end, looks like it can go up more with no problem but with no mouvement. I haven't done a test for the longest distance with it.

my freind has a swaro who seems even better for longest distance.

I've got a 300wm and he has a 338LM so every one gets the rangefinder corresponding to his gun's performance :eek:)

The swarovski will consistently range beyond 1000 yards, and as others have said is capable of much greater distance. I ranged a buoy at 1922yds.

went to the shop today and compared the Leica 1200, Swaro 8x30, and Zeiss Victory 8x26 - the Zeiss was clearer and calculated the range faster than the others. Leica was $699, Zeiss $778, Swaro $999 or so. Looks like I'll be getting the Zeiss. Thanks for the input everyone!

Well the Vectronics Vector 25 is advertised to range out to 25 kilometers, I haven't had a chance to try one out yet, trying to get them added to our MTOE, but the Vector 21s are pretty sweet, max range of about 5 kilometers IIRC, I got a chance to play with a set earlier this summer and was ranging tank hulks out to just shy of 4 clicks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leica geovids. Mine go 1300 and are full binos. I like em a lot and they may go farther. </div></div>

I have a set of the 10X42 Geovids that have been used for years now.
They have totally weather resistant construction, I don't worry about it at all, and the optics are excellent.
The rangefinder's performance may be eclipsed by more modern units, but for my use it has been excellent.

Leica.jpg

A friend just got a used set for $800, and they look and perform like brand new.

I got a steel building @1350 yards with my Bushnell 1500s.
EDIT: And a water tower @1550 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Leica.jpg

</div></div>

Very nice! What tripod mount and caps are those?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Leica.jpg

</div></div>

Very nice! What tripod mount and caps are those? </div></div>

It's an UltraPod II ($20) with the Leica Binocular Mount ($120), which or course can be attached to any tripod/head combination. I've used it with my Gitzo/AcraTech as well as the Ray Vin Tactical & Eclipse tripods.

The killflash ARDs are a size out of one of the Bushwhacker scope caps. They actually fit pretty tightly to the rubber rings on the inside of the objectives.
If you "build" up a ridge on the inside edge of the ARDs with SuperGlue gel, they will have an interference fit that keeps them pretty tightly in place. Haven't lost one yet! And I have used them extensively.
They function pretty well, you lose a bit of image brightness, but they don't seem to affect the laser rangefinder's performance.