• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing LRI's new machine: KITAMURA MyCenter 2X and Hardinge Tool Room Lathe!

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Over the past few weeks I've been burning the oil/brain cells trying to narrow down which machines to purchase. The mills were narrowed down to Maatsura or Kitamura. Both are considered to be marquee brand machines at the top of the game. Heavy box ways, advanced controls, etc. Basically ultra precise stuff that far exceeds the needs of all but the most demanding types of manufacturing. These are the caliber of machines you trust your life to when eating peanuts at 35,000 feet.

I decided on Kitamura because I've worked around them in the past. They pack a huge punch and there's a service center in Minneapolis that I already have a relationship with. It just made sense. I went ahead and took the extra effort to have the machine fully calibrated/certified prior to delivery. It's known as a "Bar/Ball test" and it delivers a detailed analysis of a machines ability to move and position itself while also checking things like backlash and spindle runout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g4T5UN2cgQ

The report:

X axis: .00013
    Y axis: .00012
    Z axis: .00016
    Spindle runout: -.00005"

A short video of how the castings are fitted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTru-KEdaR8

Video inspection of the machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u212a1y4kY

I think that'll do just fine.

She arrived late last Thursday night and the whole family got involved. My son and I burned the night away getting it setup and we walked out of the shop at 2:30am Friday morning with it level, wired, coolant tanks filled, and ready for business. The Haas that we've had since day one apparently got jealous because it crapped out Friday morning 1st thing. The X axis servo motor died on me. We took it in stride and had it back up and running the very next day. While my brother and I sorted out the motor problem, my son worked late into Friday night tearing all the way covers off the machine. He polished them up, replaced the seals, and reassembled it all on his own. Not bad for a kid who six months ago didn't even know what a cnc mill was!

The weekend for me was spent getting acquainted with the Kitamura. Setting parameters in the control, familiarizing myself with the navigation through various pages, and getting the communications setup so that I can talk to it from a PC. Sunday was devoted to writing code for its only purpose:

ACCURIZING RECEIVERS!

You spoke and I listened.

We've been working at a feverish pace the past 6 months with barreled action work. Tuning up receivers, fitting barrels, etc. . . It's caused some late nights in order to stay within the delivery schedules that we've become known for. It's also provided me with the opportunity to revise and streamline the processes so that we can expand the services to a higher level.

This machine not only gives us the horsepower and stamina to stay on track, it does so with even greater precision, speed, and efficiency. With the new proprietary fixturing element, it is an almost fully automated process- to include tramming the receiver bore to the spindle. (no kidding!)

I didn't stop there. Brand new tooling, holders, and collets were ordered along with machine vises and an assortment of gauging. In addition a Hardinge Tool Room Lathe is on the way to handle all the bolt work.

We also have a new recruit. John is my bro and he and his wife just left for Colorado to begin the move up here. He'll be a great asset. (Get to work, your late!)

This is my attempt at raising the bar both in performance and delivery. To celebrate the machine's arrival, we are going to announce a Group Buy on receiver and barrel work. I've been in contact with two major players in the barrel retail game and between the two there are over 1400 barrels on the shelf ready for immediate shipment as of this moment.

The Group buy will be formally announced in the appropriate field once the lathe arrives and I have the programming finalized. Expect it by the middle of March.

A big thanks is owed to The Sniper's Hide Community. This wouldn't have been possible without you.

All the best,

Chad
    James
    John

Last edited:
    Will your machines cut-reweld-and shape a 1903a3 bolt handle to a 1903a4 bolt handle so's it clears the scope? I got one I'm gonna bring you for a Vintage Sniper Rifle I'm putting together.

You wont have to put a brake on this one.

Sounds like this should help a ton with production speed. It will be fun to see a video once you get a program set up and run an action through it.

John

Of course! We love Winchesters!

Our Hardinge lathe is due to arrive Friday. Leaving for the day to go pickup the new work benches and some more copper tubing for the air lines.

Status Update,

Fixturing is due to arrive either Friday or Monday. I solved one little problem today with the setup. I think its going to work pretty cool/efficiently.

So were close. By early next week we should be cranking out some receivers.

The Hardinge left Tampa this afternoon. There was a delay as it was originally wired for 440V. Had to find/buy a transformer and have it rewired for 220 III phase. Also picked up a new Aloris AXA tool post along with the full compliment of holders. All that's left to source is a DRO for it. I'm thinking either Mitutoyo or B/S.

Good stuff. We'll be rocking the house soon enough and plan to have some killer video of this thing running.

Thanks again.

C.

First one's done! Were diggin it!

The setup and fixturing has proven to be worth it. Programming is almost fully automated now. I just had to adjust the wear and tool length offsets a little bit. From here out it should just run like a raped ape.

Dauv, tag your it buddy! This is your receiver after the 1st op.

C.

DSC_0085.jpg

Last edited:
    Yeah Baby!!!!!!! # 1 of many many new precision action jobs to come out of LRI !!!!!!!! WooooHooooo! I am stoked to have the honors Chad !!! Thank you sir!!!
    I am sure this baby will be a hammer when I get it back from you brother. I am as anxious as I have ever been about any gun in my life!

PLEASE tell me the receiver or at least the barrel will be engraved with "Long Rifles Inc." or something bad ass so I can boast?

Can't wait brother.... Thank you!!!!

Dauv

Scope base screws are done as is the bolt work. Fluting the bolt right now and the kid is setting up the barrel in the lathe.

Should have this wrapped up today no sweat.

Will call shortly to speak with you regarding the chamber changes.

C.

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

Last edited:
    Chad, on those black coated 700s, do you have to blast off the old coating before applying the final ceracoat to the rifle? I assume the surface finish under there isn't exactly polished blue...do you have to polish prior to ceracoat?

Pretty sure Remington is shot peening the actions. Basically blasting them them w/steel shot prior to parkerizing/bluing.

Makes it quick n dirty to hammer out the surface inclusions so that it has a uniform finish, even if the finish resembles a lemon peel.

Oven cure ceracoat must be applied onto a prepared surface. They recommend either AL oxide or Garnet as the medium used in the blast cabinet. Both are pretty aggressive on steel and by/large the shot peened finish evolves into something more resembling 220 grit emery cloth.

C.

J,

The Kitamura will be the only machine used here out for receiver work. As far as how much of an improvement accurizing actually does I use NHRA Pro Stock cars as my example. I tell this story about 20 times a week so its well rehearsed. :)

If were going to race PS we need to have 1350hp at the flywheel. Anything less is a waste of time/money to even pull it off the trailer. If you devote another 2000 hours in the R/D and countless dollars at screwing with little things you might find another 15-20hp that in the real world doesn't mean a darn thing.

However in a pro class like PS its the difference between me running with you or watching your chute open all weekend.

The important thing to remember here is first you had to get to 1350 and that starts with a premium barrel made by any of the "big 5" cut rifled barrel makers. All the little wigits in the world won't get around this.

Accurizing, bedding, lapping rings, lugs etc makes a great gun exceptional and great guns start with exceptional barrels.

C.

Chad,
    After reading your linked article about scraping, I now know what some of the tools are in my Grandfathers tool chest. I inherited it after he died, he was a machine repairman for Fo Mo Co.

God I hope my choice in barrels (Bartlein 1:10 5R Rem Varmint Profile) was the right call, and that it along with Chad's magic machine work puts my rig into the "exceptional" category.
    I keep thinking I should have kept my mouth shut about the reamer choice today Chad, and just let you have at it, but somehow I get the feeling you would not have allowed me to make a shitty decision either way...

I used to work for Yamazaki(Mazak) in Florence Kentucky. I started out in the electrical department, learned how to wire both CNC lathes and mills from the ground up(lights, encoders, mainboard, CRT... you name it) . From there they moved me to scraping, which thankfully didn't last that long as I learned it quickly. Scraping wasn't fun to say the least. Tool head/turret assembly was next and a lot of fun, I was expected to complete a minimum of 2 a day. Two months later I was asked if I would be interested in learning how to build the spindles in the clean room, to me... the pinnacle of working there. Working within tolerances of +/- 2microns, you either knew what you were doing or about to melt or frag the main spindle bearings. Surface grinding, then hand lapping 2 microns of press for the spindle's bearings was awesome. Testing and drilling holes into the spindle's mainshaft to get perfect centrifugal balance was a bit nervewracking at first. The scraping video you posted brought back memories. :) Keep up the great work!

Dauv,

Were all done buddy. The bolt knob sweated a little loctite so the kid had to shoot it over again.

It'll ship in the am. Here's a few pics:

Right on Chad, cant wait buddy!!
    Don't forget to send the factory barrel back with the new stuff. I want it, so don't toss it.
    Also, can't tell from the pics but it looks like the stock bolt release is still on that trigger? You don't remove that when you install a side bolt release? Is that my new Jewel ????
    Tickled fucking pink brother!

new machine looks good! we've had great luck with Leadwell CNC's. there are many to choose from

I'm waiting on the group buy as well.
    Quick question.
    Is a micron 4 tenths?

no, i THINK a micron is 1/100,000"? someone help me out here. our machine shop only deals down to .0001" or "tenths"

Right on Chad, cant wait buddy!!
    Don't forget to send the factory barrel back with the new stuff. I want it, so don't toss it.
    Also, can't tell from the pics but it looks like the stock bolt release is still on that trigger? You don't remove that when you install a side bolt release? Is that my new Jewel ????
    Tickled fucking pink brother!

Dauv,

It's you trigger. Straight from your box to your receiver. Removal is possible, but it requires either an additional kit from jewel or machining some spacer washers. It won't affect anything on the gun so we just left it alone.

Factory barrel is wrapped and in the box. Tracking number to follow. I turned my postage scale into a can of smashed assholes with the fork lift when placing the new Hardinge lathe. (dammit!) We just returned from Rapid with a shiny new one from Sam's.

Micron:

0.000039" inches

In engineering it is common to use the micron as a replacement for the traditional thou or mil, each of which represent a thousandth of an inch. 1 thou = 1 mil = 25.4 microns. So a trash bag may be originally specified as 0.35 mil thick, but stated as 8.89 microns.

Interesting as there are 25.4mm to the inch and a mm is .03937 inches.

Micron:

0.000039" inches

In engineering it is common to use the micron as a replacement for the traditional thou or mil, each of which represent a thousandth of an inch. 1 thou = 1 mil = 25.4 microns. So a trash bag may be originally specified as 0.35 mil thick, but stated as 8.89 microns.

Interesting as there are 25.4mm to the inch and a mm is .03937 inches.

So 4 hundrenths not 4 tenths. So 4 tenths of a thousandth is 10 microns and 100 microns is 4 thousandths.
    Interesting you should bring up blown film gauge. Plastic film gauge is measured in thousnadths of and inch so 6 mil poly is 0.006" thick.
    Anyway, carry on, wasn't hyjacking your thread

Scraping = suck

An operator at my dad's shop crashed our Okuma lathe and broke the ways. Aside from the $10k the service shop wanted to *install* and scrape-in the new ways, they told us it would be a month or two before they could get to it.

My dad and I spent the better part of 3 days working on doing it ourselves... Highspot blue, install the turret, run it back/forth, remove turret, scrape for a while. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.

Ugh.

I need to stop looking at this site. So anxious to get my rifle from Chad.

That machine looks amazing! I've been looking online and reading here all day thinking about buying my first mill to play with in my garage. I bet the power bill that thing runs up in a month is more that what I will spend on a mill.

On a side note I finally found a beat up butterfly saftey Winchester 70 for cheap. I need to call your shop and figure out the steps to get it there and make it awesome.

I was over at Dauv's and got to lay hands on his new rifle - WOW! That is an amazing bit of machining Mr. Dixon. I feel like I owe you a beer just for working on my buddy's gun. Kudos.

I got to see that fancy machine in action today. I watch Chad throw my 1903A3 action in it, push some buttons and it poked holes in my action, then switched tools and cut threads for the scope mount. Don't know if you know SC actions but they are glass hard. Chad's machine didn't care.

I would have broke off the drill bit or tap or both if I tried to drill and tap it for the scope.

I then went home and threw rocks at my lathe & milling machine.

Look what just popped up in the Group Buy section, awesome deal Chad! Can't wait.

Did you ever get the DRO for that Hardinge? That's a heck of a find these days. Those lathes are getting hard to come by.

Chad, I got a question. When I sent in my stuff a while back, you said you couldn't profile barrels. Will you be able to now that you have the new lathe?

The new machine is not the type used to profile barrels. We looked at that type of machine last week but honestly do not have the room to put one in. We were close but the deal just wasn't quite hot enough to pull the trigger on.

good buy! I used to work for kitamura here in MD before i started my own service company. I have spent a lot of time under the hood of them things.