Gunsmithing Lug question

jhedg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2005
Gator Nation
I see alot of stocks for sale that are cut for specific lugs. My question is if you I have a reg Rem lug, and buy a stock cut for a diffrent recoil lug is it possible to get it to work? and how would it work. Also if I had to open up the lug area on a stock for a oversize lug and did not butcher to bad would the bedding fix the fit? Are these stupid questions? I would send some of the work I want done off to some of the gunsmiths I here about, but like a lot of people I am not patient. and just want to shoot, so I am not big into the lifetime turnaround time I here alot about.I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" thanks all

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
Re: Lug question

When the lug channel is opened up, they do it from the lug forward (towards muzzle) so it will still work with a standard Rem lug. And yes, bedding will fix the 'fit'.

K. Johns

Phoenix Custom Rifles
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman

Brings up a good point. If you have a stock inletted, might as well have it inletted for a larger recoil lug since it will still work.
I bought an A5 for my .243 SPS. I didnt have the lug area opened up larger than factory but I should have! Now I'll have to do it before I rebarrel my rifle and bed it.

The only contact point on the lug is the rear. Sides, front, and bottom shouldnt touch anything.

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana

That was 8 of the dumbest post I have ever seen and well beyond the spirit of the policy of 50 post for sales....

Rafael

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2003
Virginia Beach, Virginia

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was 8 of the dumbest post I have ever seen and well beyond the spirit of the policy of 50 post for sales.... </div></div>
I am with you on that.
Guy's like this will have Lowlight wanting to increase the minimum to 500 posts.

chpprguy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter+
Feb 8, 2004
Los Alamos NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brings up a good point. If you have a stock inletted, might as well have it inletted for a larger recoil lug since it will still work.
I bought an A5 for my .243 SPS. I didnt have the lug area opened up larger than factory but I should have! Now I'll have to do it before I rebarrel my rifle and bed it.

The only contact point on the lug is the rear. Sides, front, and bottom shouldnt touch anything. </div></div>

Front and bottom make sense...
but the sides aren't supposed to touch at all?
I thought a snug "slip" fit was desired?
want to know if I am doing it "wrong"
thanks,
Andy

xs hedspace

hippie redneck geezer
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2005
Bearsville, NY

Side pressure=bad. Firm bed to the rear of lug=good. All recoil reaction forces should be in line with the barrel to eliminate side/up/down vibrations as much as possible.