• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lug question

jhedg

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2005
Gator Nation
I see alot of stocks for sale that are cut for specific lugs. My question is if you I have a reg Rem lug, and buy a stock cut for a diffrent recoil lug is it possible to get it to work? and how would it work. Also if I had to open up the lug area on a stock for a oversize lug and did not butcher to bad would the bedding fix the fit? Are these stupid questions? I would send some of the work I want done off to some of the gunsmiths I here about, but like a lot of people I am not patient. and just want to shoot, so I am not big into the lifetime turnaround time I here alot about.I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" thanks all

Re: Lug question

When the lug channel is opened up, they do it from the lug forward (towards muzzle) so it will still work with a standard Rem lug. And yes, bedding will fix the 'fit'.

Brings up a good point. If you have a stock inletted, might as well have it inletted for a larger recoil lug since it will still work.
I bought an A5 for my .243 SPS. I didnt have the lug area opened up larger than factory but I should have! Now I'll have to do it before I rebarrel my rifle and bed it.

The only contact point on the lug is the rear. Sides, front, and bottom shouldnt touch anything.

That was 8 of the dumbest post I have ever seen and well beyond the spirit of the policy of 50 post for sales....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was 8 of the dumbest post I have ever seen and well beyond the spirit of the policy of 50 post for sales.... </div></div>
I am with you on that.
Guy's like this will have Lowlight wanting to increase the minimum to 500 posts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brings up a good point. If you have a stock inletted, might as well have it inletted for a larger recoil lug since it will still work.
I bought an A5 for my .243 SPS. I didnt have the lug area opened up larger than factory but I should have! Now I'll have to do it before I rebarrel my rifle and bed it.

The only contact point on the lug is the rear. Sides, front, and bottom shouldnt touch anything. </div></div>

Front and bottom make sense...
but the sides aren't supposed to touch at all?
I thought a snug "slip" fit was desired?
want to know if I am doing it "wrong"
thanks,
Andy

Side pressure=bad. Firm bed to the rear of lug=good. All recoil reaction forces should be in line with the barrel to eliminate side/up/down vibrations as much as possible.