• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M38/M96 6.5x55 project

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Good Afternoon all,

I'm considering building a bastardized M41 sniper rifle in 6.5X55 Swede just for fun. It will not be replica in any way as I will likely use a the Badace tactical scope rail to enable putting a modern optic on it. Have always wanted a 6.5x55 Swede rifle but don't want to be spending $3500-$4500 on a period correct scope on a legit M41 that a $100 Vortex or Tasco would likely outperform.

Apologies if this blasphemy offends anyone's sensibilities here, lol. I love those dedicated to true clone builds or originals but frankly I don't have the time, budget or inclination for that at this stage of my life. I really just want to get a rifle that's 1 moa or better and get a "feel" for the cartridge and gun but use a modern optic.

My question is: all that considered which Swedish Mauser should I be shopping for and is there any way to have an idea of bore condition/ accuracy potential before buying off gunbroker, etc?

Thanks

The brass disc on the original stock should have a punch mark by the bore condition. Just Google that subject and pics will explain it. The Swedish G41 ammo was reportedly always non corrosive, so Swedish bores are usually in good shape for their age. Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
    The brass disc on the original stock should have a punch by the bore condition. Just Google that subject and pics will explain it. The Swedish G41 ammo was reportedly always non corrosive, so Swedish bores are usually in good shape for their age. Good luck with your project.
    Thanks man, I’ll look into that!

Find one that has already been drilled, even if it isn't the correct pattern of holes for your mount.

The cost will be WAY less first of all. There are tons of these bubbad guns out there and the cost is absurdly low. It even can be low enough to justify buying a replacement stock if it has been cut down.

Second, if the holes bother you, it is easy to fill and blue them and you won't even notice them.

Third, you won't be screwing up a really nice milsurp that the rest of us might like to buy one day.

Reactions: Tikkaguy and S12A
    @verdugo60 If you start with an M38 be aware that the Husqvarna actions are reputed to have significantly greater surface hardness than the original Mauser and Carl Gustav actions. You might have to spot-anneal the intended hole locations.

Reactions: verdugo60
    Find one that has already been drilled, even if it isn't the correct pattern of holes for your mount.

The cost will be WAY less first of all. There are tons of these bubbad guns out there and the cost is absurdly low. It even can be low enough to justify buying a replacement stock if it has been cut down.

Second, if the holes bother you, it is easy to fill and blue them and you won't even notice them.

Third, you won't be screwing up a really nice milsurp that the rest of us might like to buy one day.
    I’m not planning to drill and tap it. The mount I’m looking at doesn’t require permanently changing it.

That said; if I found the right one drilled for a pic rail I might consider it.
    The bad ace mount looks fairly solid with no permanent modifications to the receiver.

I usually don’t like bubba stuff mixed with old rifles. This mount seems like a decent solution to run a modern scope on a cool old rifle without marring the receiver.

Likely won’t be a hard use comp gun obviously but let me know what you guys think or if anyone’s used one.

Not shopping for a Mosin chassis, don’t worry. 😉

• Haha
    Reactions: S12A
    @verdugo60 If you start with an M38 be aware that the Husqvarna actions are reputed to have significantly greater surface hardness than the original Mauser and Carl Gustav actions. You might have to spot-anneal the intended hole locations.
    Thanks for the heads up, like I said above, not planning to drill.

Reactions: ZG47A
    This was a drilled Bubba mauser

Attachments

• 23654 (1).jpeg
      23654 (1).jpeg
      312.5 KB · Views: 106
    • 23655.jpeg
      23655.jpeg
      146 KB · Views: 111
    • 23657.jpeg
      23657.jpeg
      267.9 KB · Views: 107
    Reactions: verdugo60 and MK20
    I replaced a butchered stock, added a timney trigger to gain a safety and changed the old weaver scope it came with to a nikon that was sitting around. Less than 500 not counting optic. Shoots better than it should out to 600 yards

James

Another source for Swiss M41 parts is Simpson LTD. The have a significant quantity of rifles that pass through in all conditions plus parts in separate lots. Take your time and I bet you can put a nice rig together that suits your needs and budget.

Here’s my M38 Husqvarna (1942) with a BadAce mounted Burris 2-7 SS and Traister 2lb trigger. Shoots great!

Attachments

• 576CF3B7-461E-4369-8622-76454B15A786.jpeg
      576CF3B7-461E-4369-8622-76454B15A786.jpeg
      482.2 KB · Views: 81
    there are a few companies which make repro SSR swede type mounts with the locking nut. Next, in lieu of an expensive Ajack scope, 1950's era Hensoldt zielvier scopes can be found for a couple hundred dollars. you can put together a passable repro for a fraction of the cost of a real one, and still have the satisfaction of having a passable repro.

Almost done with my fun Swede build. Should have the low profile Warn mount Tuesday. The rail and old strike fire red dot will be gone. Got Trijicon RMO HD going on it. The idea is to have it mounted as low as possible so I can use the iron sights for longer distances.

The ballistics are quite impressive with lighter bullets and the short barrel. Accuracy will be determined later next week.

Changed his name from "The Mutt" to "Jan" since its really about 70% CZ made components. Its also an non-binary, gender fluid name so todays snowflake cry babies can be offended. Obviously this is not a vintage anything but just something fun and possible.

Or you know just build a completely modern 6.5x55 rifle on a new modern receiver.
    Put it in a nice wood looking stock and enjoy shooting a modern take on a classic.
    Do the cartridge a favour and put at least a 27" barrel on it & you can have fun showing the 6.5 CM shooters who their daddy is...

Reactions: lariat
    Here’s my M38 Husqvarna (1942) with a BadAce mounted Burris 2-7 SS and Traister 2lb trigger. Shoots great!
    That is awesome, would love to do something similar.

I’ve been so busy I haven’t even loaded ammo for my comp rifle, my practice rifle or anything else lately.

Or you know just build a completely modern 6.5x55 rifle on a new modern receiver.
    Put it in a nice wood looking stock and enjoy shooting a modern take on a classic.
    Do the cartridge a favour and put at least a 27" barrel on it & you can have fun showing the 6.5 CM shooters who their daddy is...
    Same as the OP, I was looking at a way to get my feet wet with this cartridge. I don't owe the cartridge a favor and don't want a barrel that long for variety of reasons.

Same as the OP, I was looking at a way to get my feet wet with this cartridge. I don't owe the cartridge a favor and don't want a barrel that long for variety of reasons.

A couple years ago I picked up a used beautiful wood stocked Remington 700 in 6.5x55 for like $700
    I put a scope that cost more than the rifle on it & gave it to my father as a present.

If you look around, you might find one cheap.
    Tikka also makes the T3x in 6.5x55 with 20" and 23" barrel options

A couple years ago I picked up a used beautiful wood stocked Remington 700 in 6.5x55 for like $700
    I put a scope that cost more than the rifle on it & gave it to my father as a present.

What a great gift! At some point I'll get there with a modern version. I agree that 22-24" would be ideal. But shit look at the velocities I'm getting out of a 18" Carl Gustov barrel! 2904 Fps on average with a 108 Scenar. That's impressive! Closing in on 243 numbers. Granted I'm doing something very different here vs what others would do with a non-carbine barrel. Anyway The OP made a good choice for a vintage cartridge.

Last edited:

I do love old Rem 700’s and enjoy the Tikka T3X but like the other gent said; it’s more about shooting the Swede in an original gun than to add another 6.5mm cartridge to the fold.

I kind of like the idea of a 1950’s Husqvarna optic on a repro’ish gun but I want one with a modern optic. Might seem silly but shooting a similar optic on an 80 year-old gun would be an interesting comparison.

The other caveat being that I want a WW2 era gun. I have an American M1 Garand, a Russian Mosin and had considered an 8mm German Mauser to round out the big 3 from the war. I reasoned that a 6.5x55 Mauser would serve well in place of an 8mm and would actually get shot more with a modern scope.

The other caveat being that I want a WW2 era gun. I have an American M1 Garand, a Russian Mosin and had considered an 8mm German Mauser to round out the big 3 from the war. I reasoned that a 6.5x55 Mauser would serve well in place of an 8mm and would actually get shot more with a modern scope.
    Totally agree. 8mm offers nothing and with the surplus market pretty much dried up, hand loading is it. And for what ballistically speaking? M38 in 6.5x55 would be a good choice.

Do you mind sharing info on the stock pack? Looks great btw.

I cut off the rear elastic butt strap so I could slide it farther forward. Between the elastic straps that snap attach and the wedged sling mount, it stays put adequately. At some point I may punch and grommet the base flaps to leather cord it firmly In place.

I do love old Rem 700’s and enjoy the Tikka T3X but like the other gent said; it’s more about shooting the Swede in an original gun than to add another 6.5mm cartridge to the fold.

I kind of like the idea of a 1950’s Husqvarna optic on a repro’ish gun but I want one with a modern optic. Might seem silly but shooting a similar optic on an 80 year-old gun would be an interesting comparison.

I have a 135 year old Mauser in 6.5x55 for those times I want to have fun shooting something older than anyone alive.

Couple of questions for ya. Is this trigger still made? How is the eye relief on the Burris with the BadAce? I use this mount on an M43 Spanish Mauser and it ben solid.

Couple of questions for ya. Is this trigger still made? How is the eye relief on the Burris with the BadAce? I use this mount on an M43 Spanish Mauser and it ben solid.
    Call and talk to Greg. He will walk you through the Mauser options. The Traister trigger housing did require some dremel stock relief; Timney would be even more. Changing triggers was not really a choice… the military trigger was 6lbs.
    The eye relief on the Burris Scout is perfect to allow unobstructed stripper clip loading. But you do need a cheekriser over the front of the comb to get your eye up 1.5” to the crosshairs from the irons unless you like a chin weld, which I most certainly do not.

Last edited:
    This thread is worth reading re a repo M41 sniper that is still legal for CMP vintage sniper matches:

A "sporterized" M96 or M38 that is drilled for a scope mount would be my suggestion.

Fwiw, here's three Swedes, modern Tikka at the top, middle is a 1917 M96 converted to a CG-63 target rife in 1969, and bottom is an 1900 Mauser converted into an M41B, presumably in WWII (scope is dated 1941), updated in the mid-1950s to the "B" configuration. Repo leather cheek piece came out of the UK. For the record, the modern Tikka is a half-MOA rifle, and will easily out shoot the older rifles, but I like the patina of the old-school stuff.
    Three_6.5x55mm_rifles_v2.jpg

Fwiw,

Last edited: