• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Build - Donor Rifle Found!

Re: M40 Build - Donor Rifle Found!

Thanks mjh,

I will enjoy shooting it, and the building of it. I got this one at what I thought to be a pretty good price as well. $450

I think the toughest part will be trying to get that checkering out of the stock.

Now on to collecting the rest of the pieces..

And just for future reference, the proper serial number range is between 168346 to 322764. Correct?

Ohh... and screw the clip slotting
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave4201</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It was my understanding that the Marine Corps purchased off the shelf "Target" rifles from Remington....of which the original barrels would actually have the screw holes for the front target sight and the two holes on the left of the action for the rear aperture.... </div></div>

No... the original 1966 M40 barrels do not have any screw holes in them. They also do not have the commercial markings, just the date codes, proof and inspection markings.
Dave P </div></div>

Here a a few pictures of the barrel markings that would be on an original rifle, barrel code indicates Aug 1966 build:

pix133227156.jpg

100_1732-2-1.jpg

100_1736-1-1.jpg

I just marked my barrel 7.62 NATO, is that your rifle Xarmor? looks good

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncoutdoorsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohh... and screw the clip slotting
smile.gif
</div></div>

If you happen to decide that you want to investigate having your action machined for an M40 clip slot I have a drawing with dimensions that was used by the 'smith who did the metal work on my (ser. no. 367xxx) M40 clone.

I don't have access to a scanner or I would e-mail it to you, but if you PM me with a fax number I'll be glad to fax it to you.

If you're looking for a stock to build on, last I remember Numrich (GPC) had some M40 police walnut stocks in inventory. You just need to round off the fore end and fit a correct aluminum buttplate and you're G-T-G. Oiled finish, no checkering or grip cap, BDL inlet, correct Monte Carlo, etc. What more can you ask
smile.gif

Best of luck with your project.

SB

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Here are a few closeups of the clipslot showing the detail. I can see why this would be hard to duplicate.</span>
100_1852-1.jpg
100_1856-1.jpg

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Here it is with the mount on. You can't really see it, I would not worry about it on a build that much.</span>

100_1860-1.jpg

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Basically you should just build a rifle that you will enjoy shooting with a level of detail that make you comfortable. The action you bought will put you well on your way. Have fun with it and be sure to post your progress!!!</span>

I was just looking through Peter Senich's book "The One Round War" and on <span style="font-weight: bold">page 143</span> there is a clear picture of the square clipslot. He states that two differemt types were found on the m40, the square cut and standard cut which has the small semi-circle eyebrows. Looks like your clip slot is ok!!

Hey Hey, your luck has just changed...
Good news for you.
Chad

I just joined today.

Looks like a nice forum. Seems that there is some good info for the few things that I saw so far.

Anyway, the M40 is one of my interests. Presently will be doing some research into the Fall on that.

I have info and pictures that will be of help for those of you that may need some help. The original Remington M40.

Forgive sporatic answers until into Sept as I am booked up with all sorts of stuff but I will help.

There were the Marine M40 rifles and also some that went to other US agencies. Not much available on those so far but that is what I am getting into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just joined today.

Looks like a nice forum. Seems that there is some good info for the few things that I saw so far.

Anyway, the M40 is one of my interests. Presently will be doing some research into the Fall on that.

I have info and pictures that will be of help for those of you that may need some help. The original Remington M40.

Forgive sporatic answers until into Sept as I am booked up with all sorts of stuff but I will help.

There were the Marine M40 rifles and also some that went to other US agencies. Not much available on those so far but that is what I am getting into.

</div></div>

Welcome aboard vinv, look forward to your input. M40 info is always welcome!!

I have much knowledge of other firearm collectibles also. I should be helpful on the forum.

I also need info on some of the things that I follow. It should all work out to be a good experience, I hope.

vin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just looking through Peter Senich's book "The One Round War" and on <span style="font-weight: bold">page 143</span> there is a clear picture of the square clipslot. He states that two differemt types were found on the m40, the square cut and standard cut which has the small semi-circle eyebrows. Looks like your clip slot is ok!! </div></div>

Thats great news! Thanks for letting me know. I look forward to getting a copy of that book

The Numrich arms part #553690 is for a pretty close stock, although a metal buttplate doesnt fit that great. There may be others that since I bought mine that will work better, perhaps even a ADL stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
100_1860-1.jpg

</div></div>

Hey XARMOR, glad to see that you found a rifle for your green scope. Barrel markings look good, just like mine. I'm assuming it is a well built clone, correct?

Dave P

PM me if your interested in getting rid of that barrel.. I may take it off your hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Numrich arms part #553690 is for a pretty close stock, although a metal buttplate doesnt fit that great. There may be others that since I bought mine that will work better, perhaps even a ADL stock. </div></div>

Thanks for the part number and stock suggestion.

I may just order one, but I definitely want to take a shot at getting that checking out. I think with enough sanding and time, i can lift them out. I've refinished a few stocks before, but never tried to remove checking from one. I just hope its not too deep.

Stay tuned guys, when the rifle gets here, I am going to take alot of pictures and post them so ya'll can follow along.

The checkering on the older stocks was just pressed on, someone other than me could give you a better explaination of what that means but it is definetly easier to remove the cut checkering. I used citrus gel to remove the finish, and thena hot iron with a damp cloth to bring up some of the pressed checkering, should finish up alright. Heres a little article, not sure if you have seen it on building a M40, article is from a a few years ago I believe.
http://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/m40.pdf

I've got that article saved and have read it a few times now. Its very helpful and I recommend it as well to other readers.

I'll go to lowes and buy some of that citrus finish remover. Its good stuff as well, I used it on a piece of furniture that my wife and I refinished.

Where can I find the oil to give it that dull finish after the wood is ready though?

I tried tung oil, linseed oil, and a few others, the best finsih I hve found is fairtrimmers military ox gunstock oil, do a search on it. Its easy to apply and leaves a good finsh.

1.jpg

2.jpg

This is the slot on my M40. Late rifle 1968-69.

There is another slot configuration on earlier rifles. I have that picture someplace. I will look for it.

IMG_0068mod_resize.jpg

M40Sniper-OriginalVietNamRemington.jpg

The Clip Slot shown is on an early rifle.

The rifle shown is the early model.

Nice rifle Vinv, any more details or pictuers? Is it an original?

The rifle picture is of the one at the Remington museum. It is not a USMC rifle as it didn't go to them after it was made. It is an M40 though. Just not bedded. The Marines did that.

I have one also.

I can help you with pictures of a particular part.

There is a plan to do an article on the M40 next year so I don't want to give out many pictures until then.

Be careful to get good advice if you have machine work done. Some of the posters can advise but you need to see the work finished.

Just about no real rifles left to compare to. That is why I photographed the ones I could get to.

Glad to help.

Vin

Below is my rifle-original

IMG_093small.jpg

Vinv, mind teling us a little history about your rifle. Not often we see a real M40 outside of a museum.

Guys,

As I am searching around for the proper rings and base I realize this would be easier if I knew the Redfield part #'s

Can anyone share those numbers with me? Is the base #511227 ?

Sent you some pictures, the original square base, marked 40x is almost impossible to find, although I believe a member of the hide has one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle picture is of the one at the Remington museum. It is not a USMC rifle as it didn't go to them after it was made. It is an M40 though. Just not bedded. The Marines did that.</div></div>

Hey Vin, a couple of quick questions. You say this rifle is in the Reminton museum?

Is yours an "original" M40?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Below is my rifle-original

IMG_093small.jpg
</div></div>

Thanks
Dave P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle picture is of the one at the Remington museum. It is not a USMC rifle as it didn't go to them after it was made. It is an M40 though. Just not bedded. The Marines did that.

I have one also.

There is a plan to do an article on the M40 next year so I don't want to give out many pictures until then.

Be careful to get good advice if you have machine work done. Some of the posters can advise but you need to see the work finished.

Just about no real rifles left to compare to. That is why I photographed the ones I could get to.

Glad to help.

Vin

IMG_093small.jpg
</div></div>

That stock is from a 700Police, Here's a pic of my buddies gun,notice the front of the stock.
Guns249.jpg

This is from the Remington Museum. (I used to live up that way)
Guns524.jpg

USMC Museum
Guns002.jpg

NRA Museum
Guns283.jpg

My commemorative.
M40Resize.jpg

And the correct base (its got too much MOA in it for inside of 300 yds with the 3-9)
Guns285.jpg

Guns286.jpg

And some of you might know who this is.
JimLand.jpg

Scottx88, I knew someone here on the hide was lucky enough to have one of those mounts, I reminder you posting a picture before for us all to drool over, excellent pictures of your rifle too. As for Vinv's rifle I did notice the newer Redfield mount, satin scope, and of course the schnabel shaped forearm. But I thought, I remembered seeing a picture of a M40 in Senichs book were the rifles forearm didn't appear very rounded, but more of the older 700P or schnabel type forearm.

Yes there is much that is different on the M40. I got mine and it was probably in the process of being restocked. Probably with the Synthetic.The questions remain as to the correct parts that the Remington M40's from the factory shipped with. Apparently,there were things that didn't get done that were supposed to be with the various groups of rifles that shipped both to the Marines at different times and others shipped. There were more than the 995 rifles made. Marine serial numbers were in lots, not consecutive all the time and over the years.

Parts were supplied as spares by Remington and these would be installed on field rifles and at Quantico. The reason that not all rifles have serial numbered scopes and mounts that match or have a serial number. The Remington M40 has no serial number on the scope or mount. Not a Marine rifle... The parts-scope bases had no numbers if shipped as spares.

M40 Mounts
IMG_0026crop.jpg

IMG_0032crop.jpg

I will get to the detail about all of this when I get back to Quantico.

Any more info from you guys is appreciated. I will share as I get more and maybe there will be a better picture of the existing rifles that we may find.

I have two sets of rings marked 1-66, one set was blued and I had parked, obviously it was manganese parkerizing. The second set I acquired were parked already but it is more of a zinc parkerizing. If anyone has any info on this, or if the rings or bases were parked or not, I would like to know. Vinv, I think most of the knowledge I have gained came from Senichs books or from scouring the internet.If you can provide any more info on Remington M40 style rifles that might have been sold to different services or private companies I would like to hear it. This original M40 rifle sold by James D Julia auctions in March 2008 for $18400, the stock looks very like yours, I included the link for anyone who might care to look.
http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_catalog_233_sh.asp

The rings on my rifle are acre stamped with a 1-64. They are blued although somewhere in their life someone painted them grey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Parts were supplied as spares by Remington and these would be installed on field rifles and at Quantico. The reason that not all rifles have serial numbered scopes and mounts that match or have a serial number. The Remington M40 has no serial number on the scope or mount. Not a Marine rifle... The parts-scope bases had no numbers if shipped as spares.</div></div>

Hey Vin...The scopes and bases on the M40’s that Remington shipped as complete units where most certainly serial numbered to the rifle. This was done with an electric pencil on only the base and scope. Obviously the spare scopes and bases did not have factory numbers.

By the way, can you give us more information on this rifle?

Do you have any more photos of it? Any close ups you can share? It looks good and I think that several of us would like to know more about it. Where is it? Is it in a museum or a private collection? Is it an original M40 or a clone?

Thanks
Dave P

XARMOUR, I have an unmarked set that are flat black and some other mediums and highs which are the typical blue. The Zinc parked rings look new and unused. I don't think anyone has been using zinc for parkerizing in a very long time, perhaps the rings were made from a differnet metal and that accounts for the color difference, I must post some pictures and perhaps others can chime in.
Vinv I am interested in what information you can share with us with regards to the number of M40 style rifles that Remington made for others, total number of rifles made, anything that might be of interest.
Thanks Marty

I was at that auction and was the 2nd highest bid on both rifles. I suspect the people that got them would have gone higher. I inspected the rifles privately and they were nice. One just a little better than the other. I am sorry now that I didn't get them but can't win 'em all. I did get som of Stern's other items though.

The 1-66 was Jan-1966 so the 64 was 1964

Yes the rifles that were shipped with the scopes were numbered with the base to the rifle. Well documented in the books mentioned.

Rifles with bases didn't have the numbers-in the info that I got. Parts were just as they were received except specially packaged fo the USMC or other military customers to a spec if one existed.

The Museum rifle has no particular history as is the case with much of Remington Museum items. I will be asking more questions about the rifle when I get to it.

I have the trigger guard assy from that rifle off to repair it. I installed another one-not correct, so the rifle can go back on the wall there. The parkerizing is unique and there are none that match that rifle at Remington. Possibly they had some with similar park' but nobody could fine one.

My expertise is the Pedersen Device and I work on that project with the Remington Society. They are a great source for all things Remington.

You guys have Pedersen Device info please let me know.

I agree on the numbering of scopes and bases. The Green scope I have appears to be one of the scopes that was not originally put on a rifle as it has no electropenciled SN on it. It looks like it may be NOS.

Vinv, does Remington have sn's documented for original M40's? I would like to see if the rifle I have may have been an original but I have never found a complete list of SN blocks that these rifles fell into. If you know where I can get this info please let me know.

The USMC serial numbers are in "Death from Afar" Chandler and Chandler pg 116.

ISBN 1-885633-00-9

This stuff probably from the USMC as I have seen nothing like it from Remington.

There is a lot of information about the scope in
" The Long Range War" by Senich

ISBN 978-1-58160-609-6

There are more pictures as this is a Museum rifle and on display for all to see.

Keep in mind that most rifles are not 100% original. Unless the Museum can tell you the background it may not be all original. Things happen. Rifles are returned for a reason and then stored away and someday found to go on display in a Museum. They were modified at some point and then were stored away. I have seen this in Museum stocks. Especially on Martial Arms.

Get as much info as you can from all sources and take pictures of everything. Digital makes it easy. I do that on every item that I have. Get picts from other sources and file them.

Best to identify 1 example that is 100% and get the pictures of that for comparison. Museums are a good place to start. Get the history of the item there along with the pictures.I do that when possible.

important history of this rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at that auction and was the 2nd highest bid on both rifles. I suspect the people that got them would have gone higher. I inspected the rifles privately and they were nice. One just a little better than the other. I am sorry now that I didn't get them but can't win 'em all. I did get som of Stern's other items though. </div></div>

Hey Vin...tried to send you a PM. It appears that your setting do not allow them.

You saw this rifle sold at auction?

Do you know who won it? I would like to contact them. I have some important information about the history of this rifle for them.

This is very important. Please contact me.

Thanks
Dave P

Found another thing, You have the wrong bolts in the bottom metal.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle picture is of the one at the Remington museum. It is not a USMC rifle as it didn't go to them after it was made. It is an M40 though. Just not bedded. The Marines did that.

I have one also.

Glad to help.

Vin

IMG_093small.jpg
</div></div>

Re: important history of this rifle

The picture in your message is the rifle at Remington.

Don't know who got the auction rifles as they were bid over the phone.

I know the socket head screws are there for now as I wanted new bolts and sent them out to get matched up. Heads were buggered a little.

Know anybody that has them in great shape?

Vinv is a .................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The picture in your message is the rifle at Remington.

Don't know who got the auction rifles as they were bid over the phone. </div></div>

Vinv - I tried to handle this off line but you do not accept PM's...............
<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline">This is my rifle! Always has been. </span></span></span>
Ether you are getting bad info from someone or.......................................................................

My buddy, Burrell Sullivan built it for me from a "take off kit". This rifle has never been in any museum. It has never been in any auction. <span style="font-weight: bold">................</span>
See My post from Nov 2006 Frank, I hope have not broken any rules about linking to a post "across the street".

.....................!

Dave P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMG_093small.jpg
</div></div> [/quote]

Things that made be go hmmmmmmm with this pic.....

Pic of clip slot looks unlike any I have ever seen from Rem or on an M40/M40A1

Stock is unlike pic of any I have ever seen on an M40, nor a Varmint Special(what they were a copy of) and it damn sure isn't from an early 700P. Forend shape is completely different, comb/Monte Carlo looks to be higher and I have never seen a pic of any figure in an M40 nor seen a 700P with any amount of figure. They are straight grained for strength and durability!

Scope base pictured looks to be a 70's Redfield and not even a late 60's.

And the big thing that jumped out at me was the barrel contour. Shank contour is unlike any Remington Varmint or 40X contour I have ever seen. Shank taper looks to be very similar to a Douglas or perhaps a Shilen????

And of course the guard screws as mentioned.

Not really throwing the BS flag but your "original" looks soooo much different than...........hmmmmmmmmm

Would you clarify some of this seemingly contridictory info please?????

Respectfully,
Dennis