sandwarrior

Sergeant
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
I was going to say "If that old hat could talk it needs its own subforum"

When I showed up at 3/8 a few guys were still wearing ERDL utilities.

As a boot I looked with envy at their salty shit compared to my new NYCO woodlands.

That was a great camo pattern but those rip stops just didnt last physically or they faded to a bright non camo shade.
That's what we wore when I first got to the Ranger BN in late '81. They came in a mix of slanted and straight pockets. Those got taken away from us late summer of '82, and I wore standard OD Green Jungle fatigues for the rest of my stay there.

Reactions: j-huskey

Son of Dorn

Castellan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2019
Been looking for a poplin top in a half assed manner on EBay.

Put a few bids in just haven't landed one yet.

Dont go out of your way and consider the grandkids that it would be more important for them to play in your memory bag and realize how cool grand dad is than to have me using it as a shooting coat.

Actually started looking for a WWII summer service cotton khaki shirt

Tropical style, looking to channel Gunny Elmo Haney when I head to the beach or work in the yard...

View attachment 7374454

Kind of like old school US Navy blue cotton chambray shirts.

Those Summer khakis look like they were a sensible duty uniform - sharp when pressed yet easy enough to maintain if worked in.
It's repro but these folks have OG-107s, OD poplins, and ERDLs. May not have everything in stock, though.

Ditto with these folks for WWI & WWII summer shirts (US and UK alike).

j-huskey

Jafo / Instigator !
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2001
AL
None
That's what we wore when I first got to the Ranger BN in late '81. They came in a mix of slanted and straight pockets. Those got taken away from us late summer of '82, and I wore standard OD Green Jungle fatigues for the rest of my stay there.
What's your head size, Lilcockyfwocka?

Do have a set or two, of xl regular greens (like you wore) that my skinny ass looks lost in, and falls off .. u stay skinny, or u succumb to the retirement woe ?

Reactions: sandwarrior

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
What's your head size, Lilcockyfwocka? 😁 😜😁

Do have a set or two, of xl regular greens (like you wore) that my skinny ass looks lost in, and falls off .. u stay skinny, or u succumb to the retirement woe ?
I went up, then I went down.... 56" chest, 44" waist. That is 3XL of the OG-107's. I still have the ones I left the service with that I can get one arm in. :rolleyes: I think those were large_Regulars as I was 175# and wore a 44 jacket... when I got out...
23" on the head size. I just ordered an Australian Bush hat. I have to laugh, 22" neck. I look like a round nose bullet.

So, yeah, I succumbed to the retirement thing where I think I'm big , but, I'm really just fat. lol My wife loves that shirt though. Until some guy tried callin' her out on "stolen valor". She wouldn't say who it was, but I was just pissed! It was clear by the uniform and the fact she said "SHE WASN'T IN" that she was wearing my old "jacket, OG-107 Type 1, 1 each Large-Regular". If you don't have a need for them, she would love 'em. How much you want?

Last edited:

j-huskey

Jafo / Instigator !
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2001
AL
None
I went up, then I went down.... 56" chest, 44" waist. That is 3XL of the OG-107's. I still have the ones I left the service with that I can get one arm in. :rolleyes: I think those were large_Regulars as I was 175# and wore a 44 jacket... when I got out...
23" on the head size. I just ordered an Australian Bush hat. I have to laugh, 22" neck. I look like a round nose bullet.

So, yeah, I succumbed to the retirement thing where I think I'm big , but, I'm really just fat. lol My wife loves that shirt though. Until some guy tried callin' her out on "stolen valor". She wouldn't say who it was, but I was just pissed! It was clear by the uniform and the fact she said "SHE WASN'T IN" that she was wearing my old "jacket, OG-107 Type 1, 1 each Large-Regular". If you don't have a need for them, she would love 'em. How much you want?
To a cockylilfwocka brother, $0.00....
PM me your address.

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
Pics of the old stuff:
1594808624210.png

1594808739849.png

A couple notes: This is one of my jackets that didn't get the CIB. A matter of contention. There is a mustard stain on those jump wings though. I keep the original SCUBA badge, not the new one with the sharks and knives and stuff. 😜 Slanted pocket style.

Regarding the last line, I remember one NCO said to me once, "If God had wanted you to have pockets, he wouldn't have invented starch!" Pockets, great idea, lets not use 'em.

My wife loved wearing it until some guy made it a point to say something about "stolen valor" because he knew she wasn't a Ranger...NO SHIT SHERLOCK! She pointed out it was mine and she likes wearing it. She'd be happy to have me come down and explain it was okay and why...

Last edited:

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
MA
My current Lt is Ranger School trained. 80s era.

Has a great print on his office wall of a Ranger in green jungles with the correctly formed Ranger patrol cap. Scene appears to show the Ranger on the skid of a Huey carrying an AK. Old print dated 1981. Neat art that I like to study for the details.

Ill pm the name. He earned his Tab and worked as a FO/FAC. Dont think he went to a BN was just attached to units that needed a guy with a radio capable of bringing the pain. High speed dude. One of the top tactical guys on my job until he got promoted out of that track. Eats up Crossfit and probably has sub 10% body fat in his early 50s.

Rangers in jungles were at PI on the range when I was going through boot. Remember a platoon of them going into the rifle range chow hall just prior to us. It was a memorable day because one of the platoon screw ups screwed up and our DI got in his personal space causing the boot to fall backwards over some gear grounded behind him.

Kid fell on his ass and ended up making a complaint.

As a result each of us had to go in front of a Captain and tell him we never saw the DI hit the recruit.

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
My current Lt is Ranger School trained. 80s era.

Has a great print on his office wall of a Ranger in green jungles with the correctly formed Ranger patrol cap. Scene appears to show the Ranger on the skid of a Huey carrying an AK. Old print dated 1981. Neat art that I like to study for the details.

Ill pm the name. He earned his Tab and worked as a FO/FAC. Dont think he went to a BN was just attached to units that needed a guy with a radio capable of bringing the pain. High speed dude. One of the top tactical guys on my job until he got promoted out of that track. Eats up Crossfit and probably has sub 10% body fat in his early 50s.

Rangers in jungles were at PI on the range when I was going through boot. Remember a platoon of them going into the rifle range chow hall just prior to us. It was a memorable day because one of the platoon screw ups screwed up and our DI got in his personal space causing the boot to fall backwards over some gear grounded behind him.

Kid fell on his ass and ended up making a complaint.

As a result each of us had to go in front of a Captain and tell him we never saw the DI hit the recruit.
I heard rumors of them going there to shoot. Something of a "back to basics" COMPLETE education on shooting. Probably turns out I wasn't the only one getting Mulligans. And, unlike Big Army, SF and Rangers like keeping those ties with the Marines, especially the "extra skills" people.

Funny, it's something I always said about me "really" learning to shoot the M16, and that was I learned how to shoot from a former Marine who was an enlisted competition shooter for the Marine team. He ended that stint, went to college and took a commission in the Army. He ended up in the 1/75th as our S2. I don't know if his branch was Intel or Infantry. I wouldn't think Infantry. As a Maverick he probably wasn't upwardly mobile, as they say. Great guy ,and should have been. Just not the background the Army liked to put in higher positions.

The patrol caps we wore were poplin and some NCO's and Officers didn't like the 'blocked' caps and would correct Rangers for doing that. (25 pushups was std) There was no official banning of that practice, just a "I said so." Both Commanders made it publicly known, it was just fine. Stop busting people for doing it. Then again, Taylor made us wear helmets until everybody got busted for making too much noise. That and his Randall slappin' his ass when no one else was allowed to wear them... I was kinda vocal about double standards.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
MA
Not qualified to judge "proper" Ranger anything but a "proper" Ranger patrol cap to me is worn at a "Fuck you" angle forward and you kind of "fold in" the crown to accent the "Fuck you"

Ass kicker cover...

1594822414071.png

Not so much.....

1594822463245.png

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
Not qualified to judge "proper" Ranger anything but a "proper" Ranger patrol cap to me is worn at a "Fuck you" angle forward and you kind of "fold in" the crown to accent the "Fuck you"

Ass kicker cover...

View attachment 7374894

Not so much.....

View attachment 7374895
That is a properly 'blocked patrol cap on top. However, he has no scroll or tab?? We didn't typically wear those sterile.

Either the guy in the beret has a really tall head or it's a size or so too small. The bottom of the beret is supposed to at least keep the tip of one ear warm/dry/shaded. 😜 Not to mention that is post "Black berets for everyone. We're all commandos" At which point, the Rangers moved to khaki (tan or sand as they now say).

Davo308

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2019
Morning Gentlemen.

In light of the recent explosion in Beirut and the awareness of the bombing there in 1983, when I was 3, I'd like to ask a few questions. Please understand that I have read about this conflict for years and am not asking lightly.

What role did military snipers play there? I read a few books in the early 2000's that mentioned sniper activity there.

I figure that maybe there were hostile counter snipers in the region too. How did they fight and what did they use?

What rifles and other gear were used? (I love this thread and have read through it trying to take it in).

What lessons or changes in tactics were taken in the military sniper community? How about in the military generally?

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
Start a new thread in the Vintage section? Or in the Bear Pit, I guess maybe, since it's more of a general discussion topic?
That's actually the embassy bombing, not the Marine barracks bombing. I believe at that time we were in Hunter AAF/Ft. Stewart training. Not deployed.

At the time of the Marine Barracks bombing we had just gotten back from Germany doing the REFORGER deployment. Where the fucking extremists had also set off a bomb in or near the Octoberfest grounds in Munich. We attended the last week of that. It was as you may imagine, AWESOME!

Reactions: Davo308

Son of Dorn

Castellan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2019
That's actually the embassy bombing, not the Marine barracks bombing. I believe at that time we were in Hunter AAF/Ft. Stewart training. Not deployed.

At the time of the Marine Barracks bombing we had just gotten back from Germany doing the REFORGER deployment. Where the fucking extremists had also set off a bomb in or near the Octoberfest grounds in Munich. We attended the last week of that. It was as you may imagine, AWESOME!
Oktoberfest in Munich... at least once before I die, God-Emperor willing... :love:

Reactions: sandwarrior