• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A3 build at PWS in Quantico COMPLETED!! Detailed pictures on 3rd pg Range report 4th pg

Awsome write up? Did you ever look at the GA Precision builds. They claim to to be to msrine spec and all setup. No monkey fartin around. Thoughts and comments on the GA Presicion builds? Overpriced?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a GAP M40 of any flavor. They are built to the USMC spec and are worth the coin. I wanted a rifle built in Quantico by an active duty USMC gunsmith and hence the monkey farting around :). The only difference between a GAP and this rifle is the location of the build and the trigger, though if you can find an M24 trigger and send it to them I am sure they would put it in for you.

Thanks devil. I wanted to save the time. I figured you were "keeping it real" with the marine armourers. I have a nightforce here just needs a horse so Im itchin.

uploadfromtaptalk1394892856115.jpg

I have this rem sendero 700 stainless fluted hs precision stock. Tack driver hut ammo to expensive. Can I use this action for a build or would you suggest the GA build I spoke of. Im pretty handy just never took on project like this and its getting indimidating. I paid 500 for this gun" divorsed man needed cash" so Im not into it much. Would you keep this as a deer smasher, instead of tryin to build an m40 type?

I have this rem sendero 700 stainless fluted hs precision stock. Tack driver hut ammo to expensive. Can I use this action for a build or would you suggest the GA build I spoke of. Im pretty handy just never took on project like this and its getting indimidating. I paid 500 for this gun" divorsed man needed cash" so Im not into it much. Would you keep this as a deer smasher, instead of tryin to build an m40 type?

Your rifle has a magnum bolt face, so it's not the ideal candidate for an M40 build like the OP did. It's a good rifle as is, and you can get good accuracy and reduce the cost of shooting it by learning how to reload.

Easygravy, Start a new thread with your question please.

I have to admit that I am jealous.

It does not get more authentic then that.

Congratulations on a great rifle and thanks for sharing the process with us.

Sorry i haven't figured out how to copy a pic on my phone but the pic of the action bedding on pg. 3 looks almost as good as my bedding job...... ok maybe that one is a little better than mine..... ok maybe a lot better. Just looking at the pics that looked like the most perfect bedding job i have ever seen. I wish i could bed an action as well as that or build a rifle as pretty as that one.
Congrats i hope you enjoy your new rifle.

Those RFID tags can be used to track an item within a certain distance as well as what it is etc.. I know because I work in the shipping dept for a company that manufactures items for the DOD. Buggers are expensive too. So........when are we gonna get a range report??????????

Unfortunately the range is going to have to wait until after the 5th of April. I take the MCAT on the 5th and all time not used for work or family are used studying. It's worth it though, the wife says if I get in this year I can buy the correct scope for the gun :).

5th. of April.....?? I'm sure with all these generous fellas here on the hide , yo won't have to worry; there's bound to be someone here who'll give up one (or many) of his precious afternoons to do you a favour and
get it going.......................................

Last edited:
Unfortunately the range is going to have to wait until after the 5th of April. I take the MCAT on the 5th and all time not used for work or family are used studying. It's worth it though, the wife says if I get in this year I can buy the correct scope for the gun :).

Will be thinking positive thoughts for ya.

I read, I looked, I ended up weeping like a little girl from envy.

Semper Fi.

Sort of an update, a very kind gentlemen came forward with the correct optic for my rifle, the S&B 3-12x50 with Gen 2 Mil Dot, so I am frantically trying to get some things sold to fund the purchase. Should have it within a month or so.

I wouldn't call him kind or a gentleman, and certainly not both at once. There's no hurry, it's living atop an AW right now and the next home it'll go to will be your build, where it belongs.

Scope is in the mail :). I actually ended up getting a smoking deal on gunbroker of all places from a great guy. Huge thanks again for the scope offer here on the Hide, great group of classy people we have here. Anyways, it will be here on Tuesday.

That's awesome man. Do they do any lapping or any procedure to the rings?

That's a good question and I don't know the exact answer but I would assume not. They are constantly swapping scope between guns.

Will you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease go out and shoot this bloody thing............ !!!!! If you wouldn't mind

Sorry guys, still gonna be a couple of weeks before I can shoot it. I was however able to track down another piece of vital gear :).

Glad to see it's coming together. Hopefully you can swing a range day in the near future.

Good to see the end caps, I couldn't find any, or anybody who'd sell me any....
I'll take this opportunity to say a public thank you to the OP (scatsob) I had a query about something on my rifle (dimensional) and I pm'd him a while ago about it an he
was kind enough to take the time via Email over a few days to look at a few things for me and help me out. Never met the guy and don't know him but he put himself out to be helpful when I pm'd him,
so although I already thanked him, I'll say on here , stand up guy on the 'hide.

That's SWEET, scatsob! I didn't know the S&B had special caps.

Good to see the end caps, I couldn't find any, or anybody who'd sell me any....
I'll take this opportunity to say a public thank you to the OP (scatsob) I had a query about something on my rifle (dimensional) and I pm'd him a while ago about it an he
was kind enough to take the time via Email over a few days to look at a few things for me and help me out. Never met the guy and don't know him but he put himself out to be helpful when I pm'd him,
so although I already thanked him, I'll say on here , stand up guy on the 'hide.
You are most welcome sir :). I look forward to seeing your A3 reborn as it were.

Thank you for the kind words M40 :).

As for shooting, looks like I will get some range time a week from monday.

Finally got a chance to get to a range. The buddy that helped me get the gun built found a range not far from base that we can use that goes out to 300 measured and has a road next to it that would allow for shooting to 600 or so. Next time I go I plan on seeing how she does that far out.

First of all, I can say with relative confidence that this rifle will out shoot my M24, and the M24 is a fantastic rifle. The bottom left target was the sight in and the other three were all 5 rounds and at the time I was using Privi "match". After that I used some older federal 168gr M1A ammo and the groups opened up to about 1". Next I burned up 20 rounds of Hornady 168gr match trying to get the scope to zero before moving out to 300. Even though I have been shooting for a while I have never had an S&B and I kept moving the reticle trying to zero.

At 300 the gun let all my shooting flaws show :). I could seem to get 4 rounds in about 2" and one would bring it out to 3.5-4". All my shots at 300 were with 175gr GMM.

I was able to get 80 rounds through the gun and while my skills are not there yet the gun is an absolute hammer and I am honored to own it :). You are the man Matt!

Yes, congrats! Remember, she's still being broken in yet. Pretty darned good so far, and as you two get better acquainted you'll be in complete harmony:) Thanks for the report. I hope to see more as you get the chance.

Great results first time out... it's still very 'new' ...... should only tighten up in time.
Be interested to see what else it likes other than 175g

Quick update, the rifle still shoots :). And she loves to shoot dirty. Took almost a whole box to dirty up the barrel and accuracy to fall into place, needless to say I will not be scrubbing the barrel much anymore. Targets are 5 shots at 100y.