• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mack Bro’s SS Evo

Here is my action, a remage barrel and TacSport bolted right up with no problem

I would have preferred the old bolt style if I had a choice

zn_mac_1.jpg

zn_mac_3.jpg

zn_mac_4.jpg
Is this a hunting version of the evo with the big ejection port and split scope base?

Do they have a “tactical” version with less of an open top with a one piece scope base?

Is this a hunting version of the evo with the big ejection port and split scope base?

Do they have a “tactical” version with less of an open top with a one piece scope base?
This is the BDL version. It can be mag fed or top loaded with a hinged floor plate. The DBM version is the one you are referring to and yes you have the option for either one.

Reactions: bodhisafa
This is the BDL version. It can be mag fed or top loaded with a hinged floor plate. The DBM version is the one you are referring to and yes you have the option for either one.
What Whhood said is correct, I got the BDL version since it will be a silhouette gun, I wanted the couple oz weight savings and ease of loading when single shot standing

I just received my action. I got the BDL version. It's a nice action, but for the price, I should have purchased another Big Horn Origin.
Don't care for the two piece rail. I thought it was going to come with a one piece. For the price of the action and a one piece rail, you are just under the price of a Big Horn Origin. I did email them about it and they said they would be happy to sell me a one piece. oh well.

I just received my action. I got the BDL version. It's a nice action, but for the price, I should have purchased another Big Horn Origin.
Don't care for the two piece rail. I thought it was going to come with a one piece. For the price of the action and a one piece rail, you are just under the price of a Big Horn Origin. I did email them about it and they said they would be happy to sell me a one piece. oh
So, what's the complaint? They agreed to swap it out and they are substantially cheaper than a bighorn

Reactions: Evlshnngns
So, what's the complaint? They agreed to swap it out and they are substantially cheaper than a bighorn
No, they agreed to sell me one, NOT swap it out. A company with better customer service would have said, oh, we messed up on the website. We will send you a 1 piece on us. They are not substantially cheaper. Maybe $80 cheaper after buying a quality one piece rail.
I emailed them about it when I received it. She told me no, the BDL comes with 2 piece. I said Ok, I was expecting a 1 piece since there is nothing on the website about 1 or 2 piece. She then said they can sell me one. So I will be either purchasing a one piece or probably just sell the action and get the Big Horn.

How much is the one piece?
Quality One piece is about $100.
675+100=775 Mack Bros
875=Big Horn
$100 Diff
And to me, you can tell the difference. Big Horn is a little nicer. I know the rail is no big deal, but it's just the way they replied. To me it makes the $100 diff worth it to go with a company that will probably be better with customer service!

I guess I had a different overall experience with their CS. It was fantastic. I called them before I ordered one just to confirm some info and they were beyond helpful. Every piece of information I asked they gave, they sent specs for their ejection port sizing, everything. I initially had just called them to see what the current wait time was at, and they said they had one action that had become unspoken for and immediately sent me an invoice for it. For the price, it’s extremely smooth, the m16 extractor is a great touch, And the indexing recoil lug is a nice touch as there isn’t any drilling into the end of the action for pinning. Their trigger hanger is also nice. My smith (Radix) has said he’s pretty impressed with them for the cost and beyond their cost. I have also owned two big horns. I don’t know if I would say they are better, but they do feel different.

I do however fully agree they should be swapping you a rail for the two piece as their site does list picatinny rail for the evo ss

Reactions: FredIII
Quality One piece is about $100.
675+100=775 Mack Bros
875=Big Horn
$100 Diff
And to me, you can tell the difference. Big Horn is a little nicer. I know the rail is no big deal, but it's just the way they replied. To me it makes the $100 diff worth it to go with a company that will probably be better with customer service!
When you buy the proper action that comes WITH the 20 MOA rail, it is 675 total
Bighorn is 875
That is a 200 dollar difference, to me, that is significant.
Suit yourself, but I agree, they should have offered to let you swap out the 2 piece for a 1 piece

I guess it does not matter now. Probably just going to sell it now and pick up a Big Horn. Just left me with a bad taste.

So which is the proper action? Did I buy the wrong action? How would I know which action is correct for me?
I wanted the BDL action. The website says it comes with a 20MOA rail. They listed incorrect information on the website.
I purchased the action I wanted. There was wrong information on the website. They should make it right by sending me a rail and UPDATE their website. and by her email, it seems it has happened to others and they have been emailed about it. This is part of the email from Mack Bros when I asked about the rail.

Jorge – I agree we had pictures taken and waiting for our IT to do the update – you are not the first with questions. I wanted to get actions out sooner so decided not to wait – maybe I should have rethink that ! I will get you a one piece rail as soon as they are back from treatment. Thank you for your understanding.

Then I get this email 2 weeks later. Should be a free rail.

Good morning – I have 1-piece rails available in both the 20 MOA and 30 MOA. They are $69 each plus $10 shipping. I have sent an invoice to you if you are still interested – thank you for your patience.

After speaking to them, the BDL comes with 2 piece and the DBM comes with the 1 piece.
Now just in case, I am not saying the action is bad, great action. Only issue I am talking about is the confusion of the rail the BDL version comes with. It does not say on the website.

Finally made it out to shoot my 7SS I got last fall.

EVO
K&P 3b @ 26"
Manners T4A (for a Rem700)
Triggertech Special
Bushnell LRTSi
Barreled action done by LRI

I loaded up qty49 175 SMK with Ramshot Magnum and BR2s to get started with a couple months ago. I tried to keep it really conservative being there wasn't info out there for this bullet/powder combo.
Shoots good. Scope and rings came off my PVA Nucleus in 6.5cm, only made 2 quick horizontal/wind corrections. I had feeding issues so I was single feeding. Hoping I just need to play with the mag lips some. I'm not liking the play of the MDT mags in the mini-chassis. Also had some weird trigger phenomenon going on; there was about 6-7 shots where there seemed to be a stall or lag for a few nano-seconds. I swear you could hear a spring/click happen. I'll search around on that and probably try to reach LRI and Mack Bros about it.
Want to get a MCS-EH1 stock for it, but I'll see how this feeding thing turns out before committing.

Attachments

• 20211215_180253.jpg
    20211215_180253.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 20220508_221923.jpg
    20220508_221923.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 207
Also had some weird trigger phenomenon going on; there was about 6-7 shots where there seemed to be a stall or lag for a few nano-seconds. I swear you could hear a spring/click happen.
That's a hang fire. Never experienced it with large primer magnum cases, but have in cold weather with rl26 in small primer 22 creed brass a few times. Hows headspace? How much is the shoulder coming ahead first firing? What's your pin fall?

This is my first time firing the rifle, I'll measure how much growth there was with my comparator.
And measure the bolt/pin depths. I spoke with Mack Bros an he said the difference should be about .050"-.055"
Dale did give me instructions to adust but was getting too technical for me not having the bolt in hand.

Grew .003" from virgin brass to after first firing.
Using "E" /.420 bushing
Was 1.559. Now 1.562

Sounds like they'll be selling the 223 bolt face actions either the end of this week or next week.

I ordered one of the evo 2 dbm today, anyone know which trigger hanger goes with a trigger tech diamond?

I own quite a few EVO actions from the Mack’s, from guns built in 7mm-08, creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 7 SAUM, 28 Nosler and a few more. None of mine have heavy bolt lift.

Reactions: FredIII and Whhood
I received my 223 EVO II today and got to play with it a bit before work. The bolt lift was actually better than I thought it would be and I really like the angle of the bolt handle. I'm pretty happy with the features at the price point. The only thing I'm ify about is that the scope rail isn't pinned but I'm sure it doesn't matter that much. I'm excited to see how it runs once I get a barrel on it.

Last edited:
There are millions of precision rigs out there that don’t have pinned bases. Torque the 4 screws to the proper/suggested torque and go have fun.

There are millions of precision rigs out there that don’t have pinned bases. Torque the 4 screws to the proper/suggested torque and go have fun.
I'm well aware but most custom actions are. Including the Badger M2013 and GAP Tempest that Mack Bro's also makes. Seems like an easy insurance policy that wouldn't add much time to the manufacturing process.

I'm well aware but most custom actions are. Including the Badger M2013 and GAP Tempest that Mack Bro's also makes. Seems like an easy insurance policy that wouldn't add much time to the manufacturing process.
I can see and appreciate your point sir.

Since when have these been prefit compatible? The evo ii made it remage compatible but go my knowledge they still don't take prefits.