• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2021

Cool thanks guys, planned on grabbing a safariland OWB paddle setup for pistol.

Gah, so hard to catch registration in time. I guess 2022 is where it's at...

I’ll work on a write up of everything I’m bringing with associated weights so maybe some folks can give some feedback, if they’d be so kind.

When I first packed a ruck to start training pack was just under 56lbs including gun. I know some guys run a much heavier pack but I’m having a tough time making the par time thus far. I might add some stuff back later if I can easily hit the par time with a lighter pack. For reference, I live and work here at Fort Gordon so I’m practicing in roughly the same terrain/conditions as the comp is held in.

Things I ditched in the name of weight savings: the tripod, switch rifle and pistol (both to lighter versions), switched to a smaller lighter pack, switched to aluminum cased pistol ammo (found that little trick here), ditched a few articles of clothing, ditched the bivvy bag, stripped my food down (I’m using MREs so in essence I just took out the food I don’t like and redundant utensils) and replaced some items with dehydrated peanut butter, maybe a few other things but I can’t think of them at the moment.

My little brother and I shot the last two years and did semi-well last year. We failed a ruck the first year so light was our priority. Do not sacrifice shooting performance for comfort. Our packs were 41 and 42 pounds including my 16 pound rifle and his 18 pound rifle. I shoot 223 (proof carbon) and he shoots XC(steel MTU). Leupold 5-25 and MPA chassis on both. CCH and T3. We both also packed heavy competition pistols(x5 and Cz Shadow2), competition belts, and three mags each. He carried his uspsa steel dropdown holster and I had a smaller kydex holster. The only additional thing we will carry this year is about 25% more food, body glide, and a shooting tripod(I have a 404 Leofoto with ball head but may have an anvil RRS by Mammoth)

On packs, Im looking for a new one. I sold my eberle Lodrag for comfort and weight reasons so I'm looking for a new one. What is everyone running? My brother has a Kuiu and its super comfortable and light but no great way to carry the rifle. It is hard to carry a 16-20 pound rifle in a pack comfortably.

My little brother and I shot the last two years and did semi-well last year. We failed a ruck the first year so light was our priority. Do not sacrifice shooting performance for comfort. Our packs were 41 and 42 pounds including my 16 pound rifle and his 18 pound rifle. I shoot 223 (proof carbon) and he shoots XC(steel MTU). Leupold 5-25 and MPA chassis on both. CCH and T3. We both also packed heavy competition pistols(x5 and Cz Shadow2), competition belts, and three mags each. He carried his uspsa steel dropdown holster and I had a smaller kydex holster. The only additional thing we will carry this year is about 25% more food, body glide, and a shooting tripod(I have a 404 Leofoto with ball head but may have an anvil RRS by Mammoth)

On packs, Im looking for a new one. I sold my eberle Lodrag for comfort and weight reasons so I'm looking for a new one. What is everyone running? My brother has a Kuiu and its super comfortable and light but no great way to carry the rifle. It is hard to carry a 16-20 pound rifle in a pack comfortably.
I'm sticking with Mystery Ranch, possibly moving to their external frame for rifle carry.

Reactions: kodak_zakk
Another noob question, are distances to each stage provided before you step off? Or is it a in the dark kinda thing?

well documented down to the second as to how long you have. They'll let you know exactly how long and time. There aren't any surprises either, they explain the route well and let everyone have time to get ready.

Excellent, thanks.

What time is step off in the mornings?

I'm sticking with Mystery Ranch, possibly moving to their external frame for rifle carry.

2nd on the Mystery Ranch. I played with an Alice pack and Eberlestock Gunslinger until finally settling on the MR Selway. Perfect size, about 5#, and I can carry my rifle between the frame and pack. It's amazing how "light" a well-designed pack feels.

Body glide
😂 I bet you will be bringing that next year, thought you would mention a tent also instead of hammock.
Burdicks pack was really nice, his modified dog harness rifle holster looked like it worked badass. I really like the frame on the kuiu and it lifted all the weight off my shoulders, try running the rifle up top on the lid.

To any of y'all that competed last year, what was the maximum number of rifle and/or pistol rounds you had to fire at any given stage (primary or secondary)? Also, did they allow fires in or around the sleeping areas?

Last edited:
ah I poorly worded the question. I should say, what was the most rounds you ended up firing at any of the stages?

ah I poorly worded the question. I should say, what was the most rounds you ended up firing at any of the stages?

If you have 2 10-rounds mags, you should be fine. There was one stage that you and your partner alternated firing at targets until time ran out. I think we went thru almost 20 rounds each. But most stages were 8-12 rounds of rifle.

Thank you. Do you suppose 7 round capacity in a pistol is sufficient and were there any stages where mag changes had to be conducted (not as in you ran out of ammo but rather that changing a magazine was just part of the procedure/part of the course of fire)?

I would not go with a 7-round mag for 2 reasons. 1) There were many stages that required more than 7 pistol rounds and 2) There were a few stages where you had to hit-to-move, and I SUCK with a pistol. Yes there were some stages with mandatory mag changes. We both took Sig P320s so we could share mags and ammo, and took two 17-round mags and two 21-round mags.

Do y’all see anyone or yourself consider using an ultralight hammock as part of your sleep systems? Any major downfalls I should consider? My current sleep system is just over 5lbs so I figure this is a good place to cut some last minute weight.

Do y’all see anyone or yourself consider using an ultralight hammock as part of your sleep systems? Any major downfalls I should consider? My current sleep system is just over 5lbs so I figure this is a good place to cut some last minute weight.

Last year hammocks were a no go. I wouldn't plan on it

Is there a mammoth site for info, and is there non ruck classes etc. thx in advance

Is there a mammoth site for info, and is there non ruck classes etc. thx in advance
Google the site. I think there's a comfy class where you just shoot. You just don't pull anything from the prize table.

There are 2 classes. Toughman is where you carry everything with you for the 3-days, and Regular is where you carry a day's worth of gear and get to stay in a hotel each night. You still have to ruck with your gear between stages. Their Facebook site is the best place for info.

It could definitely get cancelled. If DoD policy shuts down bases for covid mammoth will get cancelled.

I don't think it will get cancelled. I work on Fort Gordon and pretty much everything is back to normal just with masks and temperature checks

They held the qualifier with no issues at all and that was in the middle of October.

Edit: that being said, anything is possible these days haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Austinjunks
My partner and I are curious about it happening or not...still training like it is but Michigan just got a 3 weeks semi shutdown

@lush_dawg I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Fort Gordon’s on post range is still open and has been through the entire pandemic, they are still processing firearm forms at the provost Marshall’s office, construction is going on all over the place daily, the building where I work is fully staffed and has been since the beginning of October. I would be willing to bet it’ll go on as planned. They may make us take some token precautionary measures but otherwise I think it’ll be fine.

My partner and I are curious about it happening or not...still training like it is but Michigan just got a 3 weeks semi shutdown
Have you heard anything from the venue or match director about it not happening? Nope. So stop whining about covid and train. If you are that worried just drop, another team would love your slot.

Reactions: ballison
Have you heard anything from the venue or match director about it not happening? Nope. So stop whining about covid and train. If you are that worried just drop, another team would love your slot.

You must have interpreted his statement differently than I. I didn’t hear any “whining” and he didn’t say anything about not training. In fact, he said just the opposite...he is continuing to train. All I’ve seen are some guys having a conversation.

Reactions: lush_dawg
Lol wow you’re just a straight up douche bag aren’t ya

Any suggestions on what to use for taking notes etc during stage briefs?

What's your go to footwear this year.

+1 for Merrell Moab

Edit: I don't understand the "no magnums" rule. 308 caliber boolets at 3200 fps is surely "magnum". Also, hopefully they aren't mad that I'm bringing a 357 magnum haha

Seams most people used a lighter type of hiking boots

salomon ultra gtx 3, break in super easy, but, short life span.

What caliber seams to do the best for mammoth 6.5 ,6mm ,7mm?

What caliber seams to do the best for mammoth 6.5 ,6mm ,7mm?
If you've ever shot a precision rifle match, the shooting part of Mammoth is very similar. You will have to find and range targets on most stages, so having something that shoots a little flatter might help. I'm shooting a 6x47 because I have tons of reloading supplies for it and have a short, light barrel. Other than making modifications to save weight, I would shoot what you have.

If you've ever shot a precision rifle match, the shooting part of Mammoth is very similar. You will have to find and range targets on most stages, so having something that shoots a little flatter might help. I'm shooting a 6x47 because I have tons of reloading supplies for it and have a short, light barrel. Other than making modifications to save weight, I would shoot what you have.
got a 6.5x47, and 6xc . Have you shoot mammoth before? What was max distance for primary gun. Thanks for input

Reactions: ballison
In the info packet it says the primary shooter with engage targets that range out to 1150 yards