• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Man Fired Over The Shirt He Wore to Vote

His right to free speech and to express himself seems to be pretty solid. His judgement and timing seems to be a bit off though. If he wore that shirt to work, his employer would have a more legitimate complaint. Unless he has signed some kind of agreement specifying what kind of clothing he can wear off the job, I think the employer will soon be on the loosing end of a law suit.

Unless he is a member of a union or a gov't employee, he's probably up shit creek...

Work for me and I don't like your beliefs, better be an outfuckingstanding worker. Just as it should be.

Reactions: oneshot86
I've read the amendment.
When it's applied in an uneven fashion you'll get threads/arguments like this.
Examples:
1. Man decides to take a knee while the national anthem is playing while on the clock/job.
result: Media and employer decide he is off limits to be held accountable for his 1st amendment rights.
2. Man, not at work or during a work day, goes to vote wearing a shirt some find offensive.
Result: Court of public opinion has him tried and sentenced.

This argument is about the obvious double standard being applied as a result of media backing and perceived offence.

ps- I know it's really to keep your government from oppressing your speech.

R

Exactly.

Baker tells gay couple he won't make them a cake. No right to cake denied. Just not getting it here today. Case goes way farther than it ever should have because of activist judges and noisemakers.
Giving too much credence to the opinions of "some" is running this nation off the rails.

The way I see it is like this. If a city's population is say 300,000 and 500 people turn out in the streets to protest something, that means that 299,500 people either don't give a shit or oppose the 500. So fuck 'em. Nothing needs to be done.

Reactions: Rthur
It has been made plain to me *many* times in my 44 year working career that I am an "At Will" employee and as such I can be fired/discharged at any time for any reason or no reason what so ever. In this day and age of Social Media and Employers checking yor credit history, background/security, where you live/where you worked before it is a given that if you don't fit their "Corporate Culture" or are perceived to be a threat to the company culture then yer gonna get canned.

It's just the way it is and has been for quite a while now - mind yer P's and Q's if you work for a living and be aware that The Boss or his Minions are watching yer FaceBook page, Twitter, reading yer Email, and following where you post online, etc. and you might lose yer job of you need to make issues of stuff.

Just the way it is.

VooDoo

Exactly.

Baker tells gay couple he won't make them a cake. No right to cake denied. Just not getting it here today. Case goes way farther than it ever should have because of activist judges and noisemakers.

Many folks don’t realize that the “cake buyers” lost that case, not on its merits, but “how” it was treated at the local level. The same case without that malfeasance would likely be a loss for the cake-maker....That said, the changing makeup of the Supreme court could change this IF it were lucky enough to make it that far. Few cases do....