• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

That’s funny because mine would mind me without hesitation, and my son sometimes and just look at the wife like piss off. Got to love them

Reactions: Jimmay
Many years ago, my border collie "Buster" growled at me when I petted him while he was starting to sleep. He was a pure bred registered border collie that no one wanted because he was too big and was considered flawed at 74 pounds. Breed standard for a male is 40-45 pounds...He didn't know he was "defective", but he was all border collie.

At first I was offended and thought I would have to sort out the alpha male stuff, but then it occurred to me that I expected him to learn my language and do things that I say in my language, so it seemed that I should do likewise and learn his language so we could better communicate with each other.

I learned what every sound, facial expression, and body position (body English) he had meant, while he learned mine. It worked out great for 14.5 years. I still miss him.

Kinda feel ashamed posting a pic of my "manly" dog. Well it's actually my wife and daughters dog if someone asks me. But I was always the "over my dead body there will be an animal in my house" types. I grew up on a farm and had upwards of 15 hound dogs all my childhood into my early twenties so I love animals just not in my house. Until about a year ago my wife and daughter informed me that my dead body could be involved in this decision. (Not really it probably had something to do with my daughters big sad teary eyes.) I caved in and the rest is history. She now sleeps in my bed with me(under the freaking covers.)

Attachments

• 20190316_092803.jpg
    20190316_092803.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 107
Kinda feel ashamed posting a pic of my "manly" dog. Well it's actually my wife and daughters dog if someone asks me. But I was always the "over my dead body there will be an animal in my house" types. I grew up on a farm and had upwards of 15 hound dogs all my childhood into my early twenties so I love animals just not in my house. Until about a year ago my wife and daughter informed me that my dead body could be involved in this decision. (Not really it probably had something to do with my daughters big sad teary eyes.) I caved in and the rest is history. She now sleeps in my bed with me(under the freaking covers.)

Yep, bring your dogs inside, have them live with you and let them be indoor and outdoor dogs going back and forth as they please.
Especially if you have big dogs, it will show you a whole new level of being in tune between humans and beasts with you as the pack leader.

I didn't want a big dog in the house. Late wife wanted no dog in the house.
The English chick brought the old boy Oscar over at great expense. America has been good for the old man. He came from a tiny "garden" and only weekly trips to Sherwood Forest(no shit, that's where she walked him). Now the old man has 4.5 acres and a huge national Forest to run around every day. He is 11 and acts younger than when he came here.
The House Wench insisted he was and would remain an inside/outside dog. There were heated negotiations but I capitulated.
He is my only son....ok I have another son, but he is all about what I can do for him, shits in a sandbox, only wants to talk at 0300.

I let Oscar sleep on the couch now...eh...it's just a couch...he wants to be there with me.

The young one is my birthday gift to the House Wench. She is hell on wheels too. I think she is the purdiest boxer I've ever seen.
We are taking her with us to the keys. We were going to Destin/Okaloosa area, but it ain't too dog friendly. Can't take her on the pier even.
I ain't going anywhere I can take my dog.
Can't take Oscar cause he is special...yes short bus, abused as a pup special. He loves other dogs, so we take him to a kennel where he gets to run free with other dogs. We also let "the granny lady" (my mother) take care of him....he likes the granny lady.

I will be very sad if the day ever comes when there isn't at least one dog in the house. Life goes on, and old age catches even the best of dogs. I moved into this house with four dogs, and am now down to just one. But at least I still have one.

My Luna. Lost a male to a speeding truck and absolutely devastated me and the family. About a year later the breeder called me and said stop moping, I’ve got a dog for you and I won’t take no for an answer. Best thing that has happened for us in a long time.

We breed labs here on the farm 30% are people purchasing due to a passing of a pet, they always cry when the first pick up there new pup... They always get emotional and we do as well..

Reactions: Flintdog2011
View attachment 7045774
My Luna. Lost a male to a speeding truck and absolutely devastated me and the family. About a year later the breeder called me and said stop moping, I’ve got a dog for you and I won’t take no for an answer. Best thing that has happened for us in a long time.

Does Luna like the water?
She's a good looking pooch.
Our GWP mutt loves it. She runs around bird dogging and playing until she's wiped out.
This pic looks like she's baring her teeth, but it was actually her running and smiling.

20190309_101822(0).jpg

Does Luna like the water?
She's a good looking pooch.
Our GWP mutt loves it. She runs around bird dogging and playing until she's wiped out.
This pic looks like she's baring her teeth, but it was actually her running and smiling.

View attachment 7046091
LOVES the water. She’s a Wirehaired pointing Griffon. They point, water retrieve, and track. Very versatile and unusual for a hunting dog. They are couch potatoes in the house, and machines in the field. A real pleasure to own.

how did taco wed go, stud ?

They ran out of steak early but had more coming.
Got some chicken, some shredded pork and a couple of chicken/chorizo.
No complaints anywhere.
Well, that's not completely true. The damn mutt stuck her tongue in my Mexican Coke. :eek:
Rebecca asked if it was empty, I said no
then drank it anyway.

These ladies know how to make a great Tex-Mex taco and they aren't skimpy with the meats.

Reactions: oneshot86
Whenever I see someone walking their old grey muzzled dog, a tripod dog (missing a leg), or a dog with some other infirmity, or even just a little mutt, I instantly know I could be friends with that person. Dogs are great judges of character.

Evening,
Friend's K9 was in trouble last night and most of today from doing his job. Got stabbed three times in the neck subduing a dude that was threatening murder. K9 Pyro did what he was trained for and made sure his fellow officers and potential civilian victims were safe. He went through surgeries most of last night and this morning to try and repair the damage caused by the knifing. These animals sure are tough. Pyro is up and moving around this evening and it looks like he'll be able to get back to full duty after some time. We weren't so sure that would be the case this morning. Glad his handler and all the two leggers are ok. Perp is caught.

Just thought I'd share.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Sadly the POS that stabbed him will probably get a reduced sentence because it was a sworn in K9 vs Officer. Hopefully his next offense will result in multiple double taps...… from an AR.

I took this pic on the way to put my 14 year old lab down due to cancer. She was a good dog and brought me a lot of quail over the years.

Attachments

• 89714F8A-D704-41C2-91E2-6753BAFF9312.jpeg
    89714F8A-D704-41C2-91E2-6753BAFF9312.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 95
If I was faced with a choice between a household with no guns, and a household with no dogs, I would choose the household with no guns. I could figure out other ways to defend the house and myself, but I can't think of any other animal that adds as much to my enjoyment of life as a dog does.

I have long known that I could be friends with anyone who keeps an old grey muzzled dog, a tripod, or any other dog that has become old or informed. Their willingness to keep a dog that may not be "perfect" by someone else's standards tells me the most important things I need to know about them. Good on 'ya Wulf.

A vet told me that our old Yorkie's tear ducts had stopped working, and the most convenient thing would be for me to have her eyes removed. Otherwise I would have to put eye drops in her eyes 5-10 times a day, and do other eye care things. I just couldn't imagine looking at myself in the mirror if I had a little dog's eyes removed for my convenience. She lived another couple of years before other old age items caught up to her...but she had her eyes and our love and protection right to the end.

I agree. I admire you for taking care of your buddies eyes. I understand the commitment. Not as extreme as your situation but one of my beasts who isn’t even 4 yet has extreme allergies. He’s literally allergic to everything except spruce trees. We have to bath him 1-2 times a week in special shampoo, give him biweekly injections and then once a month he gets a shot from the vet. Ear infections are never ending. We usually see the vet twice a month, sometimes more. What we spent on this guy would put a kid through a state university. I’d do it all again if need be.
I have long known that I could be friends with anyone who keeps an old grey muzzled dog, a tripod, or any other dog that has become old or informed. Their willingness to keep a dog that may not be "perfect" by someone else's standards tells me the most important things I need to know about them. Good on 'ya Wulf.

A vet told me that our old Yorkie's tear ducts had stopped working, and the most convenient thing would be for me to have her eyes removed. Otherwise I would have to put eye drops in her eyes 5-10 times a day, and do other eye care things. I just couldn't imagine looking at myself in the mirror if I had a little dog's eyes removed for my convenience. She lived another couple of years before other old age items caught up to her...but she had her eyes and our love and protection right to the end.

Reactions: kindabitey
My dog Willie had chronic ear infections resistant to every antibiotic.Each ear had surgery to redirect the angle of the ear canal.
oneside was cured, and the other remained infected. I cleaned that ear every single day for 8 years until Willie got bloat and died at
10 -1/2, but that is another story.

I find it interesting how so many people have the stereotype of people on snipers hide as either bubba's, ignorant redneck gun nuts, stone cold killers or similar things. Then threads like this come up where we proudly show off our little tiny dogs, dogs with physical infirmities, or old dogs that require lots of care, or the deep pain that comes following the loss of a loved pet. This "softer" side of us pretty well crushes the stereo types that many people would have of us.

My rescue Sheperd mix. First pic is 11 years ago second is from last summer. She's almost 13 years old now. Never had a single health issue. Great thing about rescue mutts.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1555634963940.jpg
    FB_IMG_1555634963940.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20170618_153502668.jpg
    IMG_20170618_153502668.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 77
I went to a rescue around here - they whipped out a 45 page application to adopt.

And said they needed $200 to get started on it due to the background checks. And that I would have to have a “home visit” where I let them come and video my house.

And I had to have a building inspector come and sign off on it - and that they had one handy I could pay.

And they needed a copy of my drivers license. And a photo. And fingerprints.

I told them that was fine as long as I could come and video their private residence and where the dogs were kept and have my lawyer audit the legality of their data retention mechanisms and policies. I also needed the photos, fingerprints, and background check data of any person ever associated with the dog I was adopting.

Suffice it to say I wasn’t welcome to keep talking to them, the smarmy control freak bitch said in a huff.
Seems as if some"rescue" organizations don't actually want to adopt out the dogs they have. Some have the excessive requirements as you described. They set up as a nonprofit
and keep a few dogs around and ask for donations.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I went to a rescue around here - they whipped out a 45 page application to adopt.

And said they needed $200 to get started on it due to the background checks. And that I would have to have a “home visit” where I let them come and video my house.

And I had to have a building inspector come and sign off on it - and that they had one handy I could pay.

And they needed a copy of my drivers license. And a photo. And fingerprints.

I told them that was fine as long as I could come and video their private residence and where the dogs were kept and have my lawyer audit the legality of their data retention mechanisms and policies. I also needed the photos, fingerprints, and background check data of any person ever associated with the dog I was adopting.

Suffice it to say I wasn’t welcome to keep talking to them, the smarmy control freak bitch said in a huff.

And yet they will whine and bitch and go on in public about how they are having to kill dogs because nobody wants them and people are so evil for going to a "breeder" instead of getting their "virtuous" "Rescue" dogs. I bet those idiots kill more dogs than they adopt but yet can't be bother to try to be a bit easier to work with so more get adopted.

That's why I hate those kind of petty little bureaucrats and think they should try being forced to be on the other side of the cage and see how they like it with roles reversed.

Reactions: kindabitey
newest addition to our tribe. Boss lady seen him on facebook. was scheduled to be put down at a kill shelter Monday. We got him on Saturday. She even did a DNA test on him. Has made himself at home.

Attachments

• 574602636.jpg
    574602636.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 3071621E-.jpg
    3071621E-.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 116
Just picked her up from 90 straight days of bird dog training. School is just down the road, so we got to work her through many drills. I’m a total newb to upland game hunting and dog handling, so I probably learned as much as she did. She’s an amazing dog!

7738CF67-0E08-45E7-A06D-8D8970AB5504.jpeg

E5D57959-6F20-4207-BC19-7F20C3E5433D.jpeg

Last edited: