• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

Well, it’s over. I think the anticipation was worse than the deed. That probably sounds bad, but it’s not.

The weather was nice here today. We were outside waiting for the vet when she arrived. Timmer got all freaked out at the vet office. Here he was calm. She did what had to be done, he was relaxed the whole time, and it was all peaceful. He got to sniff the neighborhood (we live on a hill) and watch his last sunset.

Don’t get me wrong, I cried a good bit today and when the vet was here. But it was more peaceful than trying to get him into the vet office. And there was a genuine sense of relief when it was done. We were all at peace.

Yesterday I sat on the floor with him. He put his head in my lap and looked up at me like he was tired and done struggling. Today I needed to bring his water dish to him. He really failed fast. He knew it was time. That really helped me.

The house is already quiet without him. The transition will still be difficult. But at least he, my wife, and I were all at peace this evening. Now I can just hope that Timmer sends us our next furry friend when the time is right.
That's how it was with Val a couple weeks ago. It was time.

gifs_20.gif

I had to put my 12 year old Gordon Setter, Elvis, down today. He's been suffering with spinal problems for a while, and today was the day. I'm gonna miss him. He always made me laugh, even when I was going through chemo. He was one great birddog and companion. See you on the other side, buddy.

3E9A0169.jpg

I had to put my 12 year old Gordon Setter, Elvis, down today. He's been suffering with spinal problems for a while, and today was the day. I'm gonna miss him. He always made me laugh, even when I was going through chemo. He was one great birddog and companion. See you on the other side, buddy.

View attachment 7589130

My condolences.

View attachment 7589130
What a great looking dog. Very sorry for your loss, we know how you feel.

Reactions: Sgt47
Well I have wonderful news... After my sad posting of March 1st, where I wrote about an owl killing my dog of 14.5 years (he was 18.5 years old, but we rescued him when he was 4 years old), we are getting a new pup.

We tried three different rescue groups that charged up to $500 per dog, and it didn't matter which breed, mixed breed, sex, age we investigated, none of the rescue groups even returned our calls...so off to the breeder we went.

On April 3, we will pick up our 8 week old mini Australian Shepherd pup. We are getting a dark red female who has copper colored highlights, white blaze on her chest, and some white tips on her toes. Fortunately, the breeder we choose doesn't dock the tails or dew claws. The breed we are getting isn't really "miniature" they are only a couple of inches shorter at the shoulder than the standard Australian Shepherd, but retains all the traits of their larger relatives.

With the Australian shepherds, her coloration may change for the first couple of years, and her eye color won't be truly set until she is about 6 months old. Often the eye color will change at around 3-4 months of age, although she currently has blue eyes, the breeder says one eye shows indications that it will change color. Eye color could change to amber, green, or a very light grey that looks almost white. We just don't know what nature will do. The copper colored highlights in her coat will probably become more distinct over time.

I'll try and post some photos after she arrives at her new home.. To say I am excited to have another dog in the house would be a gross understatement. I really miss having a dog in the house.

Well I have wonderful news... After my sad posting of March 1st, where I wrote about an owl killing my dog of 14.5 years (he was 18.5 years old, but we rescued him when he was 4 years old), we are getting a new pup.

We tried three different rescue groups that charged up to $500 per dog, and it didn't matter which breed, mixed breed, sex, age we investigated, none of the rescue groups even returned our calls...so off to the breeder we went.

On April 3, we will pick up our 8 week old mini Australian Shepherd pup. We are getting a dark red female who has copper colored highlights, white blaze on her chest, and some white tips on her toes. Fortunately, the breeder we choose doesn't dock the tails or dew claws. The breed we are getting isn't really "miniature" they are only a couple of inches shorter at the shoulder than the standard Australian Shepherd, but retains all the traits of their larger relatives.

With the Australian shepherds, her coloration may change for the first couple of years, and her eye color won't be truly set until she is about 6 months old. Often the eye color will change at around 3-4 months of age, although she currently has blue eyes, the breeder says one eye shows indications that it will change color. Eye color could change to amber, green, or a very light grey that looks almost white. We just don't know what nature will do. The copper colored highlights in her coat will probably become more distinct over time.

I'll try and post some photos after she arrives at her new home.. To say I am excited to have another dog in the house would be a gross understatement. I really miss having a dog in the house.
That is awesome! Headed to pick up our new little guy this morning.

Congrats. A home isn't complete with a dog. Great news!

Reactions: Sgt47 and fx77

Life begins again. Congrats!!!!

It’s not even a week that ours is gone. I’m ready for another, but wife is not. I do have a knee replacement in just over a week, so can’t do anything till after that. Glad to hear you are getting a new pup!

My girl Lila passed two years ago she was 12 I miss her everyday
Know that feeling brother. Lost two right before my last deployment spring of ‘18, one to a damn idiot driver on a run he hurt the worst. Crushed me literally every day, mostly around bed time when it was time to let them out one last time for the day. Got my new buddy last fall. He’s been an amazing relief and friend.
BE004C8A-698D-4EDE-9C08-9082BB56E592.jpeg

A97A1402-E1E6-4E32-ADF9-D389A02E999C.jpeg

454E16CC-BC6D-46D0-A9F5-9BD1EB7FBC2B.jpeg

It’s not even a week that ours is gone. I’m ready for another, but wife is not. I do have a knee replacement in just over a week, so can’t do anything till after that. Glad to hear you are getting a new pup!

Good luck with the surgery. Mine was a bear and I'm still having trouble with it some 5 years later.

Know that feeling brother. Lost two right before my last deployment spring of ‘18, one to a damn idiot driver on a run he hurt the worst. Crushed me literally every day, mostly around bed time when it was time to let them out one last time for the day. Got my new buddy last fall. He’s been an amazing relief and friend.
View attachment 7591974
View attachment 7591975
View attachment 7591976
I thought I rescued her last year, she really recued me, 50% Mal/50% Golden

Attachments

• IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 59
  • Winnie girl.JPG
    Winnie girl.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 53
I'm still trying to get used to not seeing my buddy everywhere, but I have started looking for another dog. A local guy has a litter of French Brittany pups due in a month, and I might get one. If I do I think I'll name him Pepe Le Pew in honor of the canceled cartoon character and hope that he's black and white. :cool:

I needed a laugh this morning and found this. :ROFLMAO:

dog eat.gif

• Haha
Reactions: atomic41

Aussies are great dogs, you will be very busy, congratulations.

I had both done 5 years ago. Left one is great. Right one is coming loose in the tibia. Hope you get yours all squared away.

The surgeon installed my artificial left knee with a 4 degree cant to the outside. So basically, my thigh is straight but my lower leg is pointing to 11 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock. I had to get a second opinin before I found out why I was having so much trouble. That's after 2 revision surgeries by the quack who did the replacement.

By the time I found out what was wrong, I've had it with surgeries. I've learned to live with, but I can no longer run well and stamina in that leg sucks.

• Sad
I'm beginning to wonder if dogs are addictive. We are content when we have them, but when they are gone, it hurts terribly, we have intrusive thoughts about them, and we want another dog, or more dogs. Much of that is very similar to addictive behavior.

Plus, I have always thought that if aliens did come to our planet, they would wonder whether dogs or humans were the dominant species. Humans feed and care for dogs, humans work in order to maintain dogs, we pick up their poop, feed and train them, provide places for them to play and sleep, while it is we humans that do all the work to make it financially possible to maintain the dogs..almost as if we serve dogs more than dogs serve us.......almost.

I'm beginning to wonder if dogs are addictive. We are content when we have them, but when they are gone, it hurts terribly, we have intrusive thoughts about them, and we want another dog, or more dogs. Much of that is very similar to addictive behavior.

Plus, I have always thought that if aliens did come to our planet, they would wonder whether dogs or humans were the dominant species. Humans feed and care for dogs, humans work in order to maintain dogs, we pick up their poop, feed and train them, provide places for them to play and sleep, while it is we humans that do all the work to make it financially possible to maintain the dogs..almost as if we serve dogs more than dogs serve us.......almost.

I've told my wife that dogs train us, not the other way around. We feed and water them, we play with them, we let them outside. Not when we want, but when they want.

The surgeon installed my artificial left knee with a 4 degree cant to the outside. So basically, my thigh is straight but my lower leg is pointing to 11 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock. I had to get a second opinin before I found out why I was having so much trouble. That's after 2 revision surgeries by the quack who did the replacement.

By the time I found out what was wrong, I've had it with surgeries. I've learned to live with, but I can no longer run well and stamina in that leg sucks.
Oh man that sucks!

No dog should have to live in fear.

Protect your dog today.