• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Marine Scout Snipers

Re: Marine Scout Snipers

Ill add to that...reservists seem to do really well at Scout Sniper school. They are usually more mature, many are college graduates with good work ethic and study skills. At least thats what Ive seen. In the end, once again, I think it comes down to the maturity level that is required of a Scout Sniper, which was a main point from my 1st post on this topic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This went from a thread on Scout Snipers to bootcamp </div></div>

sorry 'bout that...

newborn induced sleep deprivation & drinking can mess with ya...lol

just trying to inject some humor...

Semper Fi

-Wil

I find it funny to see the same questions pop up again and again over the years. And, it is the humor that brings me back here. Marines, and I admit my bias, have a certain degree of wiseass built into their system. BTW, can you recommend a good pack?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, can you recommend a good pack? </div></div>

I recommend grabbing the can between the thumb and middle finger in a slightly tilted horizontal position.

Allow the forefinger to remain loose.
Using a brisk downward stroke, snap the wrist at the bottom of the stroke; allowing the forefinger to strike the can's lid.

Repeat this motion several times.

This achieves a tight uniform pack.

open can and grab a pinch.

aw shit... some of that built in wiseass comin' out again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill add to that...reservists seem to do really well at Scout Sniper school. They are usually more mature, many are college graduates with good work ethic and study skills. At least thats what Ive seen. In the end, once again, I think it comes down to the maturity level that is required of a Scout Sniper, which was a main point from my 1st post on this topic. </div></div>

Thanks again rogers0311. That is exactly the position I am in; college graduate, 23, joining the reserves. If all goes well ill be at PI in August for a 0311 slot in my reserve unit (which is headed to Iraq in October).

After SOI I'm going to volunteer to deploy with another 03 unit. I'm not sure what the story is on that yet, but I've heard that reserve units take other reservists on deployment pretty often. If I'm having trouble getting on a deployment I'd look into some kind of school like SS.

Thanks guys. I know this gets old... it's the "which .308 for 1000yards?" of the Marine Corps world. I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it and don't mind sharing some good info in the mix.

Atticum,
I did not attend SS School myself.

However for what you building yourself up for I have a few words:

Do not go up to every leader you have and "drop your name" in the hat for this or any other special training.

You will need to be a little more low- key.

Do your own "recon". Make a friend in admin; they know before anyone else when new billets, duties, TAD's and schools pop into the system for your Organization. Find the guy or gal that this funnels through.... This is no different from knowing the armor or having a buddy in supply....Networking is key, even in the Corp!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EARS...

left sock comin on now..do it now move
20 15 10 3 2 1
right sock comin on mow.. do it now move
20 10 4 3 1
trousers on now... do it now move
30 20 10 5 2 1
blouse on now
10 5 4 2 1
left boot on now...
30 20 10 2 1
right boot now.. you got
30 20 10 4 1

ZEEEEERRROOOOOO !

who the fuck taught them dudes how to count anyway....lol

quarter deck now... aye sir.. no aye sir

run now... aye sir... no aye sir

higher...
higher aye sir
face now move
push...
back now move...aye sir... no aye sir...
SIX INCHES!
hold it
hold it
face now move
push
halfway down
down
halfway up
up
halfway down
hold it...
down
feet now move...

GO GET A FRIEND!
</div></div>
That was Feb-May 1994 for me, I still hear that shit in my head often.
The worst was "welcome to the pain olympics boys" I didn't think I was going to live through what they had us do that day. For the OP, just do what you are told once in Boot Camp and be careful about volunteering for anything. Lots of good advice has already been posted here but you might not want to discuss anything about your plans to become an O while you are at the island, at least not with any of your DIs.

03 SUCKS!!!!

NO SLEEP
NO FOOD
NO WATER
MY FEET HURT
JUST ONE MORE MILE
TRUCKS ENROUTE
ETA DON'T NO
MY NUTS ITCH
MY ASS ITCHES
DAMN ITS HOT
FUCK A SAND STORM
I'M OUT OF DIP
I NEED A BEER
I'M OUT OF DIP
FUCK,,,,,YOU TO
MY NUTS ITCH
LOTS OF AMMO
LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT BLISTER
MOLE SKIN SUCKS
I NEED SOME PUSSY
LETS FUCK WITH THE BOOTS
E-TOOL QUAL.
NO WATER
I PICKED THE WRONG MOS.
TRUCKS ENROUTE
LETS RUN THIS RANGE BEFORE WE LEAVE
MY ASS ITCHES
LOOK UNEXPLODED ORDIANCE
YOU SHOULD KICK IT
NO FOOD
OK WHO FUCKED WITH MY GEAR
GEAR A-DRIFT IS A GIFT
FUCK SAND STORM
CORPSMAN UP
HE KICKED IT
DUMB ASS BOOT
BOOT BOOT BOOT BOOT YOUR A DUMB ASS BOOT
NO TRUCKS ENROUTE WERE HUMPING OUT
MY NUTS ITCH
I'M OUT OF DIP
ONLY 12 MILES BACK TO MAIN SIDE
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

DAMN I MISS THE CORPS,A BITCHIN MARINE IS A HAPPY MARINE

BUMB ASS BOOT,
SEMPER FI!!!!!

boot camp then soi, what the hell happened to MCT?

Its been a little while but not that long.

I am a Marine Draftee, among the last, in early 1966. My Boot Platoon (246/1966) consisted largely of such folk.

Toward the end of the rotation, my DI and I set aside and had a discussion. He told me that my hopes of being Honor Man (which he seemed to think was important to me, it wasn't) were not to be realized, primarily because I was a Draftee. He seemed to feel that was an injustice and commented that the draftees were, in his opinion and generally, better educated, more motivated, and more practically intelligent than the enlistees. I responded that This Recruit simply didn't know, Sir, and that was the truth.

I had voiced an interest in Sea School, and he told me I should hold off, there was something better in store for me. I ended up being assigned as an Engineer Electrician. Maybe it <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> better, I can't tell, all I have to base my judgements on is what <span style="font-style: italic">actually</span> happened, and it doesn't make me feel special at all.

I do know that of all the individuals who were selected for Squad Leader and Guidon Bearer, I was the only one who was never replaced, and of the final ones, the only one who came back from 'Nam alive.

What I can say is that what the Corps decided I was suited for turned out to be so.

I can also say this was true of nearly all the guys I booted with.

For the ones who weren't, it's probably safe to say they was no such job in existence, and they would have likely been better off not being in the Corps in the first place. A few of them were told so, and discharged honorably and 'at the convenience of the Corps'. The Corps saw no benefit in blemishng the future of someone who had joined for what amounted to the wrong reasons.

Seen in hindsight, nearly every pre-Boot expectation was unrealistic, unattainable in practical terms, and the best approach would be to either abandon them before entering Boot, or soon thereafter.

First you become a Marine, then you become the Marine the Corps feels is most appropriate. Aside from that, be prepared for disappointment, only to be assuaged by embracing whatever your new role turns out to be.

For me, the first role of a Marine is to uphold the honor of his Corps, by upholding his own. Assignments and missions are very small matters by comparison.

Greg

Agreed. My point was less about the MOS than about expectations. As a Dreftee, I had none at all, and that turned out to be a viable approach.

Actually, being up on poles out at the perimeter, I got to more effectively appreciate the role of the sniper; from the other end of the trajectory. I never took a bullet, but the bullet impacts with the pole did result in the pole smacking me in the face more than once; and splinters can be a beeyatch. I lived, briefly enough thank God, in interesting times and places. Gave truer meaning to the expression 'gaffing out'.

Greg

LOL. After reading "Battle Cry," by Leon Uris, I enlisted at 17 to fire machine guns and see the world, not necessarily in that order. After 3 years, I became a short timer and this lasted for 22 more years. I don't think I had many expectations either but I knew that the $400 I had in the bank was not going to take me far. Maybe I am just lucky, but it seems everytime I applied for anything in the Corps, someone would contact me short thereafter and say "congratulations."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever see a fire during firewatch? WTF? </div></div>

Yes.........

but only ones that we set.
wink.gif

This is way to funny i am laughing way to hard!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MCT is where pogues go </div></div>

Well in 91 I still had to go to MCT then SOI then Camp San Mateao. When the hell did it change.

howdy.

Port side shower up starboard side shine'um up! REA-DY! MOVE!!!

Mission of Marine Corps rifle squad is?!!!

Sir! Mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is, to LOCATE,CLOSE WITH, and DESTROOOOY the ENEMY!!!

Been almost twenty years and sometimes I still wake up in the middle of the night sounding that sh!t off.

Semper Fi

Ok, so I get this package in the mail a few days ago from another Hide Member... I am reading the hand written note over and over thinking: Why is this ringing a bell?

Are you following me Wil?

Fuck's sake! Do not Bend! The DI's loved this kind of Trash.

For those not following, in boot this meant a bent ass!

dsc02256v.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mission of Marine Corps rifle squad is?!!!

Sir! Mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is, to LOCATE,CLOSE WITH, and DESTROOOOY the ENEMY!!!
</div></div>

The Mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat.

It may have been updated since then I suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brians708</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so I get this package in the mail a few days ago from another Hide Member... I am reading the hand written note over and over thinking: Why is this ringing a bell?

Are you following me Wil?

Fuck's sake! Do not Bend! The DI's loved this kind of Trash.

For those not following, in boot this meant a bent ass!

dsc02256v.jpg
</div></div>

lmao!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperTuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat.

It may have been updated since then I suppose. </div></div>

That's the one I had to scream at the top of my lungs in 96.

I too joined, became a short timer, and then stayed around for another 8 after that hahahaah. I couldn't make it the entire 20 thanks to inheriting puny knees from my mom and 200 lbs of weight for them to carry from my day but I loved every minute of the 11+ I spent in.

Well, maybe more like 1/2 the minutes but they were some damn good ones
laugh.gif

Forty-One You’re a funny mother fucker Thanks a lot I could not stop laughing so hard you gave me five new himroids now I’ll never get rid of them

USMC 0331 2000-2004

I went in open contract, in '93 ,and had to do MCT then at the end of Mct we got our mos assingned.I remember i was praying for 03 anything, and my friend was praying anything not 03.He got 0331 and he was crying like a little girl,scared of SOI.I was happy i got 0341 and had the privelige of humping the mortar tube!The best was being a Forward Observer i missed out on the fuck fuck games in the field being on top of the hill on my own program most of the time.

Sorry I use that F word about as much as aye sir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: howdydoit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about

Dicipline is?

Sir Disipline is instant will and obedeance to orders sir!.

Or bed time.
after the Marine Hymn
prepare to mount!
{Prepare to mount Aye sir}
We are rough tough cant get enough little green anphibious monsters Sire ooooraaahh.

Mount!
</div></div>

As I remember it, it went:

Prepare to Mount!
Sir, Prepare to mount, eye eye Sir!
Mount!
Prey!
"This is my rifle there are many like it, but this one is mine...Amen"
Get some sleep ya maggots, we start early tomorrow morning at 'O' Dark 30!

Ohh Raaaaah!

Tighten it uuuuuuuup
Tighten it up Aye sir...

Gotta love being on the little end with the migets...

grape smugglers coming your body now.. aye sir
Aye sir
PT shirt on now.. aye sir
Aye sir...
Go fasters on now... Aye sir
Aye sir...

get on the road now.. aye sir...
aye sir

To slow get back...

get on the road..DO IT NOW MOVE!

Aye sir...

mad dash to get on the road for PT...

Before boot camp I never would have believed that your body's alarm clock could be that accurate.

Who here didn't wake up five to ten minutes before Reveille? Then just lay there waiting to hear the DI's door bang open.

online...never would have immagined it would have ment anything else...

too funny, 41...two butts and a nickle, had a good day...

online for brass...

online for garbage...

online to look like your online...

then, rake lines in the dirt and paint the rocks...IG coming in 6 months...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This recruit has no brass or live ammo to report at this time Sir!</div></div>

Lol

definately a hilarious thread.

makes me wanna go sign up

who here has ever told a boot to go find the humvee key or get a box of grid squares????? Or that god forsaken thursday field days and friday field day inspections

Motor T Mech. with Canon Cockers. F btry 2/10
We played all the games. Plenty of grid squares, Ba1100n's, Id10t's, And several I can not even remember.
The best is registering rounds. The ammo guy was not too happy to see a PFC dragging 2 105mm WP rounds in a crate beating the hell out of them from the XO's pit.
Yes, I know I was not Infantry, But we did have SGT MAJ Ken Capper.

Well I'm not an 03 anything or even in a combat MOS and well I'm damn glad I'm not. One of my best friends is in the sniper platoon in 2/7 out in 29 Palms. Fuck that shit. I don't mind a good hump or long run but grunts get treated like little kids. Screw that. He joined the sniper platoon to avoid the bs, and he still gets messed with. I'm a CPL and he's a lance, and is the better Marine in my opinion. He's got the Purple Heart to prove it as well. He is still competing for a slot in the school. I think he got back from a 3 week sniper school thing to determine who will go to the actual school.

I love my job because I go to work screw around and act like a little kid and watch my SSGT break more shit in the shop than everybody else combined. Football breaking a laptop... That was hard to explain. Oh and my favorite part about my job is if I am working it is a BAD thing. I fix a troposcatter radio and if it isn't working its not uncommon to have multiple officers breathing down my neck trying to figure out why and get prevent me from doing my job. I went to Yuma earlier this year and spent a month in the "field" My day went as follows:
wake up about 630-700 and go to a "field" chow hall,
watch tv till me and my then CPL got kicked out
go back and watch movies or play xbox
work out
eat a mre for lunch
go on top of the TRC and tan laying out in just silkies...
go work out
go to chow hall till we got kicked out
watch a movie
go SHOWER!!!
watch movies and play more xbox
go to sleep
repeat for a month

Overall we did a great job on this op and me not working was a sign of that.

Oh and how do DI's OWN everything?