• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Marine Scout Snipers

Re: Marine Scout Snipers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stork</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I love my job because I go to work screw around and act like a little kid and watch my SSGT break more shit in the shop than everybody else combined. Football breaking a laptop... That was hard to explain. Oh and my favorite part about my job is if I am working it is a BAD thing. I fix a troposcatter radio and if it isn't working its not uncommon to have multiple officers breathing down my neck trying to figure out why and get prevent me from doing my job. I went to Yuma earlier this year and spent a month in the "field" My day went as follows:
wake up about 630-700 and go to a "field" chow hall,
watch tv till me and my then CPL got kicked out
go back and watch movies or play xbox
work out
eat a mre for lunch
go on top of the TRC and tan laying out in just silkies...
go work out
go to chow hall till we got kicked out
watch a movie
go SHOWER!!!
watch movies and play more xbox
go to sleep
repeat for a month

Overall we did a great job on this op and me not working was a sign of that.
</div></div>

Now that is something to be proud of! I have a rule at my company that I have taken alot of slack from in the past....If a Veteran walks in my door looking for a job, I hire them. If your looking for a job don't stop at my shop!

Same type of dude goes home to tell our stories...

On that note:

STA babies (Taken from School of infantry) is where it’s at, as long as you don't completely suck at life you would probably get a school slot in the 3 years or so in the platoon. Keep your eyes and ears open in SOI you might get lucky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that is something to be proud of! I have a rule at my company that I have taken alot of slack from in the past....If a Veteran walks in my door looking for a job, I hire them. If your looking for a job don't stop at my shop! </div></div>

LOL obviously you didn't read the part about me working being a bad thing. In the field me working means communications are down. Not a good thing.

While at work me working is just part of life. I end up doing a lot of work before and after going to the field. I have to ensure any radio we take is working flawlessly and do the same when it returns. This could mean a 45 min op check and sending it on its way or 3 days to figure out whats wrong and part of another fixing it. My job is not about kicking in doors. Its about supporting that grunt who needs to communicate. I know my job inside out and upside down. I could be drunk and stumbling and still be able to do my job. Just because I am blessed, or cursed, with a job where working in the field is a bad thing that doesn't mean I am not someone you'd hire. I do see your point to an extent though. Seems like I did nothing for a month. I'm just saying that is my life when I've done my job well the first time.

I read your post Marine. It made me sick if thats what my beloved Corps. has turned into! In the Marine Corps. I knew, a Corporal of Marines was a Leader, but I guess that has changed. In the Infantry it was a big deal to become a NCO. You had alot of weight put on your shoulders and those young Marines looked to the NCO's for guidance and leadership. You are supposed to lead by example and your post sure doesn't portray that.
I sure don't remember getting treated like a kid in the Grunts either. If you didn't act like a Marine and an Adult you were schooled on it in a hurry. If you haven't been to NCO leadership school yet, maybe you should request it.

Good luck and Semper FI

Well as Corporal of Marines I understand what you are talking about when you say young Marines look up to NCOs. I will admit that I've been forced to grow up a lot since I've picked up because of that. I agree with everything you've said about NCO's.

As far as my post goes... Well the Marine Corps has changed a lot since you have been in. Plus I am in comm. When i talk to grunts they talk about totally different life styles than myself. Hell I was still in school half way through a friends first deployment. I am taught to question certain things NCO's, SNCO's, and even officers say because they are not the experts at my job. I am. That is not like the infantry. A SGT in the infantry knows his stuff and anybody under him better know that. Here a SGT may be a good leader but a horrible tech. Therefore I am forced to disobey him or her to do the job the right way. This may or may not happen quite often. This is something that would never happen in the infantry without some severe consequences. Things in comm are different because they have to be. I understand you may not like how I spent that month in the field but I spent my month that way because that is how the comm field works and I'm good enough to do so. If something is not broke there is NOTHING to do. I guess I would rather sit with a multimeter or spectrum analyzer than shoot people. My job is just different that is all. Many do not know that not all areas of the Marine Corps are run like the infantry. If we did operate like the infantry comm would be down a lot. 20 yrs ago i get comm wasn't much different than this. I guess you just had a different experience than I'm getting.

ill say this, being a grunt and used to be in a STA platoon. Our comm guys sucked ass, they were lazy as hell and didnt do shit. They never knew shit about any radio that we ever had, if we asked a question the response from them was fuck if i know. Most of the time we had to fix our own stuff. It sounds kinda like the POG life to me, lazy ass Marines that dont do shit. Just my take on it

usmcsniperone I didn't know what a 2512 was until a few minutes ago. I had to look it up. I'm sorry to hear you were a wireman. Those guys have some pretty shitty jobs sometimes. They get blamed for fiber getting broke when its usually some jackass driving over it that broke it. Because of this our wiremen get messed with a lot.

deadly0311 I'm sorry to hear your comm guys didn't know shit. I'll be the first to admit that half of the guys here don't know anything. Do you know if you were dealing with the techs or the operators? A decent tech should have known how to fix your radios. The operators know about as much as you guys do, so if you talked to one of them they should've directed you to somebody who did know.

Us comm guys probably do look fairly lazy but like I've said if it ain't broke I have nothing to do. We are forced to stay next to our radios and when they don't move for a month I'm stuck there for a month. I pt, do MCI's, read books, watch movies, play xbox, study for the classes I'm taking, or pt some more when nothing is broke. I cannot leave in case something breaks. Hell I have to run in circles around part of the site because I cannot be too far away. If something does break I have to sit there until it is fixed. On watch ya'll probably do nothing besides sit behind a gun and look around.

I'm no different than a firefighter. They don't do their job unless there is a fire.

I was in (Sun-Tan-Association) STA platoon, 3/6 and our plt. was part of Weapons Co. I remember most STA plt.'s were in H&S Co. We always wished we were in H&S because they treated the plt.'s better, or so we heard. We got no slack from Wpns. Co. when it came time for field-day, Fire-watch etc. Still, being in STA was better than being in a line Co., which I couldn't get out of fast enough! I think I took and passed our STA indoc only 3 months after hitting the fleet. So, that being said, our STA Plt. at the time accepted "boots", because we were ramping up for a deployment to Mogadishu and they needed bodies. And yes, in '93, after Boot, we still all got sent to MCT at Camp Geiger, then SOI.

2005-2007 1/8STA's Com guys was a wire man and surprisingly a little hardcore bastard who knew more about crypto/radios/antennas then the company com guys did.

It’s all about the individual not the MOS. We had a cook as well. Not sure on the crack deal he pulled to get in STA but he was also one of the most hardcore bastards I have ever had the privilege to work with.

STA platoon retention comes down to the platoon Sgt. Some platoons conduct business different, some are skate, some miserable.

For example, 1/8 also in the time frame above ran 30 to 36miles a week, + we ran everywhere we went, and worked from 530am to 6-7pm.

Long days and constant break offs wore out a lot of guys who passed the Indoc and many jumped ship back to their line/weapons companies.

Likewise, people who might have considered joining STA changed face with the attitude “fuck that.” To fill up slots we took 4 guys from SOI so it just depends.

Being in Weapons and H&S STA, H&S gave us a lot more leeway to conduct business as we wanted, treated us better, and less games.

On a side note, if your platoon SGT from line/weapons tells you.
“You are too valuable”, “we need you to train new guys”, “you are not going to STA”, or goes to the STA platoon SGT and try’s to cock block you, etc.

Respectfully tell him “yes I am and I will request mast if I have to.”

Then proceed to harass the STA platoon SGT for as long as it takes to get your Indoc! Don’t let somebody tell you what you can or can’t do, especially if you really want to do it and you are qualified.

Stork, our guys were the operators. And our STA platoon was in the H&S company which was awesome. We were left alone, no one bothered us and we had the lee way to make our own training schedule unless the battalion had a training op. We also got most of H&S's round count for the month since most of them are office guys.

I see what Stork is saying, and that he is defending his turf against people that aren't on his turf. Over the past few years I have learned a lot about support. As an 03, when I needed something, I demanded it immediately and if I could not get it fast enough, my Gunny then went and applied pressure. If my rto was not to my liking, I sent him back and asked for a new one whether he was from one of my platoons or an actual comm platoon guy, which handled my comms with the boss. I have come to realize that the larger part of the Corps is really the cooks, bakers and candlestick makers that work all day and night to make, fix, create, box up, unpack, fill out, paint, rebuild, drive, and so on to allow that one rifleman to do his job. That the ethos is to instil this rifleman understanding at the very beginning and with great shock is brilliant, but you are apples and pears arguing in the same fruit bowl over whether orange is its name or its color. If your a grunt, visit elmaco sometime and make a friend. You'll find that more often than not you are both where you want to be for a reason.

Now back to the storytellin'. Our heavy was mean as hell and one day had us by ourselves at the range at PI. It was so hot that the flags turned black and we were not allowed outside. So, he sat in front of a fan in his office and whenever it got quiet, he screamed at the top of his lungs "SIGHT ALIGNMENT." And everytime he did we yelled at the top of our lungs,"SIR,SIGHT ALIGNMENT AYE AYE SIR, SIR SIGHT ALIGHMENT IS WHEN THE CLEAR TIP OF THE FRONT SIGHT POST IS HALFWAY UP AND CENTERED IN THE REAR SIGHT APERATURE SIR." I swear we did this for an entire afternoon.

I find that it stuck. If you ever run into me just say "sight alignment" and I will then say to you, "sight alignment is when the clear tip of the front sight post is halfway up and centered in the rear sight aperature." If you say it again, I will repeat it again. Every time. I cannot stop myself. not that brain-washing goes on...

Interesting note. 4 years later I was in charge of the STA platoon and a lance coolie came in for an interview. Lo and behold it was my heavy, who had been busted. I made him push!

Follow up note. He went from SSGT to PFC to SSGT in 20 years. Retired now, he lives 5 miles from me. LOL. A really good guy.

Forty-one

I heard you have to be able to sneak up on a deer and punch it in the face before they'll take you, is that true?

That story has been stretched quite a bit. First of all, he was hung up in a fence. Secondly, he knew I was there the entire time. Thirdly, I first punched him in the kidneys, then I punched him in the nose. In the final analysis, I suspect it was the Kabar that took his life.

There was not a lot of sneaking involved...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atticum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm joining the reserves as 0311. After my fiancee finishes grad school here in TN I'm aiming to become an active duty officer (I have a college degree).

Meanwhile, my reserve unit is deploying to Iraq in August. Too soon for me to join them. Doing the math, they won't be deploying again until around May, 2011... longer than I'd like to wait. I want to make the most of it and get a deployment under my belt before OCS. I'd also like to do all the stupid shit like kick down doors, get shot at, and attend special schools while I'm enlisted.

Can reservists volunteer to deploy with another unit? Do the 5 months of training with that unit and deploy with them? </div></div>

Atticum-- If you really want to be shot at just go to east L.A. or comptom California and start driving around. I can guaruntee you will get shot at. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That story has been stretched quite a bit. First of all, he was hung up in a fence. Secondly, he knew I was there the entire time. Thirdly, I first punched him in the kidneys, then I punched him in the nose. In the final analysis, I suspect it was the Kabar that took his life.

There was not a lot of sneaking involved... </div></div>

FortyOne- that shit is priceless thank you for bringing my day back up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stork, our guys were the operators. And our STA platoon was in the H&S company which was awesome. We were left alone, no one bothered us and we had the lee way to make our own training schedule unless the battalion had a training op. We also got most of H&S's round count for the month since most of them are office guys. </div></div>

Im with you deadly but if you dont have a strong Ssgt and/or Cpt. training can fall to the wayside. but it was nice being left alone and not forced into the beltfed mind set of the rest of the battalion.

Today, I sat in a meeting in which a bunch of people sat around and decided what were the best times to meet again next week. Being at work, but realizing the inefficiency in terms of time and space I immediately switched into W. Mitty mode and let my mind wonder... I began to imagine being in a hot air balloon with that Doomsday woman - she being nude but holding a Epee, the kind they use in fencing, and I being dressed in a London Fog trench coat made only of pork rinds but then it it did not convert into a storyline so I snapped out of it and I remembered this thread... and it came back to me as clear as crystal. Same D.I. as mentioned previously, 3d Battalion, PISC:

Get me a count Guide.

Sir, the count on deck is 52 highly-motivated, truly-dedicated, rompin-stompin, lean and mean, amphibious green, killing machine, gross and obscene, fratboy-smashin (only kidding – added that because I liked it), Privates ready to be trained Sir. (Yelled as loudly and quickly as possible).

School circle quarterdeck – do it now Move.

(8 seconds later)

I’m going to teach you something new today boys.

I say, REEEEEEEAAAAA-DEEE, and on DEE you say this:

Napalm, napalm, boom boom boom
Burn baby, burn baby, communism doom,
Assault to the left
Assault to the right
Kill the Russians with all my might
Early to the rack
Early to the rise
Mr. Breshnev has to die, Ooorah.

Sit.

Aaaaad-just.

(Funny thing too - ole Leonid died the very next year on the Marine Corps birthday.)

I think I am going to buy a couple of those 40's on Friday and stop by the former Heavy's office about noon.

Damn near in tears, Forty_one. Fucking hilarious.

you gotta love JARHEADS. most days i miss it, then some days I remember the fire team leaders formation 15 minutes prior to the squad leaders formation 15 minutes prior to the plt. sgt's formation 15 minutes prior to the plt. commanders formation 20 minutes prior to the company commanders formation. jesus were in formation over an hr. before we need to be there.

HAHA the dates change but the good times never do

God life was so much easier, fun and fullying back in those days. I have been on vacation this week and the heavy drinking must be causing some wild ass dreams, messed with OUR Birthday and Veterans Day.

I have been having none stop dreams about being back in the corps or being called back to duty and everytime I wake up with a smile on my face and a sense of pride and a fuck me I so wish this was true thought and then realize I was dreaming!!! I then roll over and go back to sleep all pissed off.

Being a Marine is something that 99% of people will look back and never regret or forget about all the good times. They will always out weigh the bad.

Semper Fi!!

I miss it, i think about how close id be getting to retirement right now.

your right Nomad, We all look back full of pride, without any regret, and some times wish we could do it all over again.

the good ole days for sure.

howdydoit

Draftee or not, the Corps I was in was serious sh*t. We didn't even have that OOhRah stuff back then. Just a bit of a low growl, coming from about 50 different spots, in the dark. Sort of our considered response to "Marine, you die...".

Two years in, the majority of that time downrange, you did your job, and when somebody got their minds twisted on weed, etc., you talked to them once, and blanket partied them the next time. If you couldn't trust him, he was 'out'-ed. Not a good place to be on your own.

Back then, if you wanted to be a DI (you poor f*ck), you had to have combat experience. Good idea, I think. Don't get me wrong, highest respect for DI's and all, but definitely not on my personal "to do" list.

The modern Scout Sniper program was in its infancy back then. I was never even aware such a thing existed back then, it wasn't until SH came along that I even <span style="font-style: italic">began</span> to understand what the term really meant. Still don't, beyond academic knowledge. Like strikin' for DI, not on my personal "to do" list.

Like DI, also has my highest respect; I just recognize what I never was/am/will be going to be any good at.

Thank God there's a Corps, and thank God for DI's and Scout Snipers; and Good Night, Chesty; wherever you are...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This recruit has no brass or live ammo to report at this time Sir! </div></div>

lol. I still say this each time I disarm at work. Why is it only the former Marines I work with that still find it funny?

By the way, I'm looking for my box of grid squares... Anyone happen to find them?

London Fog trench coat made out of Pork rinds?

Where in the world do you come up with this stuff? Can you give me the grid coordinates of the field where you are harvesting these mushrooms? Plese?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This recruit has no brass or live ammo to report at this time Sir! </div></div>

lol. I still say this each time I disarm at work. Why is it only the former Marines I work with that still find it funny?

By the way, I'm looking for my box of grid squares... Anyone happen to find them? </div></div>

Lock it up there you....

ooohhh... good to go... we're already on the bus ain't we.

My favorite was watching the boot with a flack jacket, pot, and gloves scared to death on his way to the armory with a can of backblast!!!

While we went by another platoon the SSGT asked what the f we were doing and when we told him he joined in and told his PLT. to run for safety!! I almost fell over!!

Semper Fi
1*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now back to the storytellin'. Our heavy was mean as hell and one day had us by ourselves at the range at PI. It was so hot that the flags turned black and we were not allowed outside. So, he sat in front of a fan in his office and whenever it got quiet, he screamed at the top of his lungs "SIGHT ALIGNMENT." And everytime he did we yelled at the top of our lungs,"SIR,SIGHT ALIGNMENT AYE AYE SIR, SIR SIGHT ALIGHMENT IS WHEN THE CLEAR TIP OF THE FRONT SIGHT POST IS HALFWAY UP AND CENTERED IN THE REAR SIGHT APERATURE SIR." I swear we did this for an entire afternoon.

I find that it stuck. If you ever run into me just say "sight alignment" and I will then say to you, "sight alignment is when the clear tip of the front sight post is halfway up and centered in the rear sight aperature." If you say it again, I will repeat it again. Every time. I cannot stop myself. not that brain-washing goes on... </div></div>

"High firm pistol grip..Concentrate on the front sight tip" Every time I get a case of the tards and the front sight goes out of focus that song plays in my head to this day. PMI at Edson sang it in boot over and over like it was an R&B song. There is something to be said for the mental rearranging that goes on.

Ive consciously mind dumped alot, but after reading this, evidently my subconsious hasnt forgot it. Thanks for the memories you sick fuckers. Ha! Anyone remember "Find a pole PIG!!"

To the original poster Take each step along the way like it was a golden opportunity and sponge the Eff up. I joined and a buddy from high school who had just graduated 1st Mar Div SSBC came back and did recruiters assistance. He got my head wrapped around the Sniper thing, and every action from bootcamp on became a means to get there. Graduate bootcamp qual expert on the rifle while there, get to your unit, dont be a shitbird, network, soak up your current MOS, find out how to get to indoc and dont piss off any of your Squad Leaders or Fireteam leaders. They are probably friends with one or more of The guys in STA. Take the Indoc. Want it, complete it, dont be a dumbass. Get to the Platoon, and repeat. You might get a school slot. If you get one you might graduate. Have fun.

If a guy showed up at Indoc and showed limited knowledge in his current MOS, He didnt make it. You need all those skills and then some, besides it shows that we will have to work with you more as you probably dont give a shit, and we dont need that. Enjoy.

What Im about to ask may open a can of worms cause every body sticks to the school they went to but my question to all you Scout Snipers out there is Which USMCSS Basic, just the basic, not high angle,urban, or the team leader course, just basic SS, is the best to go to. I've heard Quantico but I dont know anything about which one has more respect or better instructors than the other. I just need to make my pick soon.
Im not a Scout Sniper nor in the Marines, Im in the Army an able to go to any. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Take your pick dude, Hawaii, Cali, Stones Bay, or Quantico....though rumor has it the Quantico school maybe winding down...but id personally stay away from Stones Bay @ Lejeune

Stone Bay has a Very good Scout/Sniper Basic Instructor Course.

Oohrah!!!!

I dont know to many other people in this world that had to bear crawl from the 300 - 1000 and back twice in 1 day!!!

All schools are high quality, but the sun rise at Stone Bay is so nice this time of year
wink.gif

Sent a boot to the armory to get a bucket of grid squares to feed our Gama-Goat, the platoon mascot. The Armoror was not that happy with us as the boot was insistant "but my squad leader told me and I have to feed him."

From a few years back!

HAHAHA!!!
I sent a boot to the motorpool to get keys for a humvee and the guys at the motorpool kept it going saying "they were never returned!!!)
Once cut open some green chemlights and poured a bunch of them in a masonjar, made a boot carry it, arms extended and careful not to let it stir or shake up for fear it would explode, bring it the the CWO at NBC!!!! HAHAHA Good times!!!

Oh really! I appreciate it. I just talked to the NCOIC there too an was considering there. Has any body been to the advanced course or should I say team leader course. If so how is it. Thanks again.

Advance Course in 2000. Heard thats long gone and now as you say the TMLDRS course!!

Hope you get to go!!

Sepmer Fi

A few friends went to it, and it is called the Advanced Course, it's not a team leader course. Quantico does 2 Advanced courses and 2 Basic courses a year. The other schools do 4 basic courses a year. You can't go to Advanced unless u have already completed the basic and have the MOS 8541.

And for the new warriors thats 0317!!

Not true about you have to be scout sniper MOS to go to the advanced course and if you have been to it lately, Gunny Storment is a pretty cool Dude!For the Marines yeah. For my guys a lil different how that works. I have a very high respect for scout snipers and I fought along side of them overseas too. I just wanted to know from other SS which one makes you a better scout sniper. For example: do you get your real skills at the basic course or the advanced? Thats what Im looking for. I've been to Army sniper and SOTIC so from that info which one of the Scout sniper courses would benefit me. Thanks guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for the new warriors thats 0317!!

</div></div>
0203 for the warriors that like books.... sort of.

Semper Fi!

OK, let me correct myself, IF your in the Corps. YES, you do HAVE TO HAVE THE MOS 8541/0317 to go too Advanced SS school. It would make no sense to send someone too Advanced that hasn't passed Basic......... Which, when u pass The Basic course, you have the MOS...

You have to pass sniper school in order to go to the advanced course. I actually know some guys that have been in snipers for over a year and never went to the school, of course they weren't issued a rifle other than their M4 or M16 or SAW.. Then after their second deployment, they sent all the boots to the school...

Dangedan, That just means they were in the Scout/Sniper Platoon, that they passed the SS indoc. They were not Snipers. Not until they GRADUATE Scout/Sniper School. And if you don't pass the course you get kicked out of the platoon and back too a normal infantry platoon. Also, if you fail the SS school, the instructors may let u come back again if you weren't cheating, but you only get a TOTAL of 2 chances.... Even if you stay 20 more years u can't ever go again.