• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Marine Scout Snipers

Re: Marine Scout Snipers

In the early 80's Nomad, we were never allowed to walk. It was all bear crawl.

There were a few changes that came with the mos change.

Quantico runs:

Platoon Commander Course : 2 weeks
Gunner Course: 1 Week
Basic Course : 9 weeks (awards the 0317 MOS)
Team Leader Course: 6 weeks (must have 0317 MOS)
SOON, Instructor Course: 2 weeks (Must be in or moving to instructor billet)

San Onofre, Stone Bay and K-Bay run:

Basic Courses and Team Leader Courses, just more frequently during the year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgn8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dangedan, That just means they were in the Scout/Sniper Platoon, that they passed the SS indoc. They were not Snipers. Not until they GRADUATE Scout/Sniper School. And if you don't pass the course you get kicked out of the platoon and back too a normal infantry platoon. Also, if you fail the SS school, the instructors may let u come back again if you weren't cheating, but you only get a TOTAL of 2 chances.... Even if you stay 20 more years u can't ever go again. </div></div>

Yes, I know. I was just saying they never sent them to school after being back in the rear for about a year in SS PLT. Our Bn got really lazy. So by the time the deployment was over, they were told they were yet again not going to school because they arent deploying due to EAS (makes since). It pissed them off because they felt they didnt accomplish the dream they went for.

Anyone ever see a fire during firewatch? WTF?

Actually, yes. The stumps, old squadbays, wall locker dividers to make cubicles. One idiot squirted lighter fluid on a piece of paper and threw it over the wall locker for fun. He didn't realize his neighbor had fallen asleep. Caught his blanket on fire. Someone else smelled it and dragged the blanket to the showers. They were young marines afterall.

I thought I had it good in radio. We snuck a B&W 10" TV on a Carib cruise. Once we reached Vieques we set up our duce and a half with the radio van and watched old Gene Autry movies while we tested radios. Had air conditioning too, for the test equipment, but we had it.

Guess I'd better figure out how to add the quote I was responding to. This doesn't fit the thread now.

Been a while since I met anyone who knew what a 2841 was. Everyone knows 0311. I can only imagine the equipment technology available today. Even the PRC-25 was a load back then. If I were back in I'd still want an M-14. Tells how old I am, qualified with the M-14 and have a service number.

Just to clear this thread up...there is the Scout Sniper Basic Course and there is the Team Leaders Course. There is no more advanced course that Im aware of. Im a graduate of the Team Leader Course and if you are able to get guys there, I would say that that would be the place to go. You will still learn a shitload at the Basic Course, but its more of a proving ground then anything. The Team Leaders Course will really push your skillsets, and will make you a much better Scout Sniper. There is a great deal of shooting, everything from precision rifle, to pistol and carbine, and they run a pretty cool demolition phase too. The mission planning portion is great too. The instructor staff is extremely knowledgeable and well rounded.

A side note...

Of all the "MOS producing", "skill building", "advanced", "leadership" "Extra cool, hold the gravy, more chips",sniper courses that I attended in the Corps, the most valualbe skill that they were [sometimes] able to produce was...

MATURUITY.

On several occasions, I found that the most mature, reliable, and valuable members of my team had not yet attended The Scout Sniper Basic Course. More often than not, the Hogstooth sporting, hooded sweatshirt, bumper sticker adorned crowd left me wanting for more. With some, the title begins to turn the ears off. Others, those that I would refer to as Professionals, always seemed to possess the natural ability to inspire those around them to inspire others. I miss them dearly.

"Marine Scout Sniper" has always meant something, but "Marine" has been good enough since November 10, 1775. All Marines shoot good...good enough.

Find your local Mortarman and thank him.

Semper Fi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Semper Fi.

</div></div>

And then thank the Infantry Rifleman for calling the fire mission
laugh.gif

I agree with you man, there are some guys that dont really seek any type of self improvement after they get their tooth. Im sure you see it everywhere though. Its a shame when it happens

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A side note...

Of all the "MOS producing", "skill building", "advanced", "leadership" "Extra cool, hold the gravy, more chips",sniper courses that I attended in the Corps, the most valualbe skill that they were [sometimes] able to produce was...

MATURUITY.

On several occasions, I found that the most mature, reliable, and valuable members of my team had not yet attended The Scout Sniper Basic Course. More often than not, the Hogstooth sporting, hooded sweatshirt, bumper sticker adorned crowd left me wanting for more. With some, the title begins to turn the ears off. Others, those that I would refer to as Professionals, always seemed to possess the natural ability to inspire those around them to inspire others. I miss them dearly.

"Marine Scout Sniper" has always meant something, but "Marine" has been good enough since November 10, 1775. All Marines shoot good...good enough.

Semper Fi.

</div></div>

enough said.

I know that this is sorta off the topic, but I was sitting in one of my college courses and this big guy that sits next to me is really cool. He talked to me about being in the marines and how he made it through two tours. Before his second tour he went through the whole nine yards and became a scout sniper. Im 23, he's 22, and you can tell that he carries himself differently than other guys our age because he wasnt bragging. He was just answering my questions and happened to mention it.He is going to show me pics from over there and share some more stories, I'll see if he will let me post a few before I share any w/o his consent. But to the point, I have always wanted to shake a soldiers hand and personally thank him, or her for serving. And I got to do that today, and it really made appreciate my country.

Thanks to everyone else who has served.

You have no idea how many fools join thinking or actually believing a recruiter about becoming a scout sniper day one of service or a navy seal... I just cant help but look down and shake my head in shame i actually know that person of such stupidity or witnessed the statement of how they are going to be a scout sniper when the join.

The world we live in...

We're about to step off, now go ask Gunny for the keys to the humvee and tell him we need batteries for the chemlights.

I need you to get some grid squares from the flight line.

It's field-day, run over to the basement of the chowhall and get some cleaning gear.

The funniest thing I heard in bootcamp on our way to the Reaper.
"What the hell you doing out of formation!?"
"Sir, this recruit needs to make a sit-down head call sir!"
In the distance is this poor recruit's salvation.
"You need to wait till the company stops for a break."
"I can't, it's already coming out sir!"
"Get your nasty ass to the port-o-potty!"

another recruit on the Grinder
"Sir this recruit needs to make a head call!"
"You need to wait."
"It's an emergency sir!"
"TURN ON THE SIRENS!"
Recruit is perplexed
"THAT MEANS YOU RUN WITH YOUR HANDS ABOVE YOUR HEAD, RUN AROUND MY PLATOON THREE TIMES, SOUNDING OFF LIKE A SIREN!"
recruit makes a mistake, runs between the DI and the platoon. The game just started with all the DI's.

pay attention to detail,
why don't you have your moon beam recruit,
bury my sand flea, deeeppeerr
are you gaffing me off?
not fast enough try again,again,again.
not so funny now are you?
your only pushing air lady's!
make a hole!
you need to sound off right now,get on your face right now,get back on the line right now.

Not a sniper but I do remember........"Bends and mother fuckers", 6 count, 50 reps, begin.......1,2,3,4,5,6 48 sir; 1,2,3,4,5,6, 49 sir; STOP, STOP, YOU'RE FUCKING THEM ALL UP. Start over....1,2,3,4,5,6 1 sir; ............1,2,3,4,5,6 48 sir; 1,2,3,4,5,6, 49 sir, STOP, STOP, You're fucking them all up. Start over.....and over, and over.....

Everynight before hitting the rack, I make sure I know where my wallet and money is at(among other items). Who remembers or still has their "money valuable bag"?

My first post, sorry if I'm out of line. On initial glance I didn't notice an FNG intro thread anywhere. So I noticed this thread relating to a near and dear part/time of my life and decided I revive it.....

Semper Fi

Perhaps a little off as well....

But how about sending new medics to look for left handed stethoscopes....

Actually made a fake checklist with right and left handed on the list.......

Good for hours of fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaeger308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All schools are high quality, but the sun rise at Stone Bay is so nice this time of year
wink.gif
</div></div>

That is true and some very nice trout and drum in Stone's Creek right behind the range burm. I could catch more if all the professional shooters doing it for a living weren't practicing so much!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the most valualbe skill that they were [sometimes] able to produce was...

MATURUITY.
</div></div>
LMAO. I think my spleen just popped...

<span style="font-weight: bold">MATURUITY: A Most Valualbe skill.</span>

Hillaireus.