• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Mauser 98 30-06 sporter

Texasshooter30

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2011
What do you do if your receiver is not unscrewing off the barrel?

I have the barrel in the wheel barrel vise with some of that bakers roslin stuff between there and torqued down like hell. I have the action in the wheeler action wrench and some penetrating oil sprayed inside the chamber area. I torqued on it like hell and the barrel broke loose from the barrel vise twice.
It is not a revers thread is it, i have never seen that?

Re: Mauser 98 30-06 sporter

Warm it up a little in the thread area with a heat gun or a propane torch.

Ditto on the torch/heat. Some of those barrels were torqued in by a gorilla, others I have seen had locktite or some other epoxy used. Heat will take care of that.

That last, drastic method is to cut a relief on the barrel itself. Using a jewelers saw or a quality hacksaw, make a cut as close to the receiver ring as possible, down to the depth of the shoulder of the barrel, around the barrel about 1/4-1/2 the diameter. This will relieve the torque against the shoulder and threads, and should allow the barrel to pop free. Once you do this, the barrel will have to be set back and re-threaded if you intend to reuse the barrel...

Try the heat first...

JMTCW...

Putting 540 foot pounds of torque + Kroil to get rusted barrel off a receiver.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YOjYro4w0Bc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YOjYro4w0Bc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>