• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Mausingfield Proof Research question

scottpropheter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2017
Just bought a Mausingfield LA, and I believe that its a later serial number. Can I put a Savage pre-fit Proof on it? Maybe I'm not checking the right resources, but I can't seem to find definitive confirmation on this. Figured this was probably the best place to ask. Thanks!

Savage small shank, yes. Some of the magnum caliber prefits are large shank and won't work. Idk if proof does that or not. Should be 1.0625x16 tpi.

I'm trying to put a 24in 300WM barrel on it. Completely new to Savage barrels and Proof barrels. I believe that the 300WM Savage pre-fit from Proof is a small shank.

Yep, sorry I was at work on my phone posting that previous response. I just looked at Proof's website and it looks like all of theirs are small shank. You can call and ask to make sure, but most prefits are small shank. It's usually the ultra-magnums that end up being large shank, if anything. I'm not sure the lineage, or which calibers were/are large shank from Savage. I just remember trying to get a Criterion 6.5 or 7 SAUM prefit for my Mausingfield and they would only do it in large shank because they were afraid the wall was too thin in small shank.

I ended up just buying a normal Proof Research CF blank and having it fitted the traditional way.

No problem, I definitely appreciate the info! I went ahead and reached out to Proof. I have to commend them on their customer service, I had a response in less than a half hour! Looks like I'm in business as the 300wm is small shank!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk