• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McM A5 broken cheekpiece

pazzo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2008
I noticed yesterday that my cheekpiece was a bit loose. Thinking I just had to tighten the two screws, I took it apart and noticed one of the screws floating around. The stock is BRAND NEW and has had maybe 5-10 rounds through it and then this happened.

Does anybody have any suggestions for fixing it? (sending it in for warranty is not really an option).

You can see the messy hole where the nutsert(?) ripped out...
IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

Re: McM A5 broken cheekpiece

Reset the insert using epoxy (Devcon)

Done!

Devcon steel putty, or Brownells steel bed should hold that "nutsert" in place. Its a easy fix.

Misstreating the baby again,
cool.gif

whatever epoxy you use, use one that cures in 24hr, not the quick setting stuff. Mix well.
edi

I suspect that if you contact McMillan, they would be very interested in inspecting the failure for quality control and maybe even design revision purposes, and I also suspect they would also be happy to fix it under warrantee. Warrantee not an option? That's odd.

Greg

When you mix the epoxy, don't just reset the stud put enough in there to cover the bottom of the hole and form a bead all the way around the block.

Yours is not the first.

Hey there,

I think when he said sending it back for warrenty was not really an option, it was because he's up here in Canada.

Nothing like fooling around with the US State Dept for a warrenty repair import.

I had a warrenty issue with a McMillan stock myself last year, I sent it back no problem. Just be sure to mark the package as:

"Being sent back for warrenty repair and return to Canada - molded fiberglass stock"

McM always throws warrenty repair work ahead of the line - had my stock back in 3 weeks from sending.

Barring that - drill out the hole a bit bigger and re-insert the keen-sert with Devcon Steel - that should hold the sucker in there good.

Good luck.

Cheers, Carl

Thanks Carl!

I'm more concerned with the work that was just done on the rifle.

I don't really want to have to pay for the rifle to be put back together (properly) after I take it all apart (bedding etc...).

Anyways.
I bought some epoxy putty from Home Depot.
After filling the hole ¾ full of putty, I put the block in and pushed the 'nutsert' in (which was already screwed together and lock tighted w/ that phillips screw), and put the rest of the cheekpiece together to make sure it fit.

I'll check on it later today to make sure it's solid!

Thanks for the replies everybody
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Carl!

I'm more concerned with the work that was just done on the rifle.

I don't really want to have to pay for the rifle to be put back together (properly) after I take it all apart (bedding etc...).

Anyways.
I bought some epoxy putty from Home Depot.
After filling the hole ¾ full of putty, I put the block in and pushed the 'nutsert' in (which was already screwed together and lock tighted w/ that phillips screw), and put the rest of the cheekpiece together to make sure it fit.

I'll check on it later today to make sure it's solid!

Thanks for the replies everybody
smile.gif
</div></div>

There is nothing hard about taking a rifle apart. Its two bolts and then seperate barreled action from stock. It will go back together the same way. Make sure your have a torque limiting screwdriver to tighten your action bolts back to proper torque specs.

Make the hole a little bigger and then make a mechanical lock at the bottom so it wont happen again. Use the Devcon like suggested..

Mine had the same problem, some of RADcustoms Devcon, and it has not moved at all. I cleaned it out and dimpled it with a small drill bit to give it some bite.

I would certainly call McM. Bet you they pay for the call tag and shipping back to you. Besides, if it is a warranty issue and they fix it, you will still have a warranty.

I had the same problem a few months ago. McMillan fixed it in two weeks and also paid shipping both ways. They where great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prbulldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same problem a few months ago. McMillan fixed it in two weeks and also paid shipping both ways. They where great! </div></div>

Same problem here! They really need to know about this for QC. They take great pride in their work and really want to know when something goes wrong.

My apologies for the cheek piece harwdare giving way guys. We are looking into it to see what might be happening.

Pazzo, pm sent.

I am not rough on my gear, and the guys I shoot with are not either. We just shoot.

But, that is the first time I have ever read of a McMillan breaking. Happens to everyone, but I was beginning to wonder if that included them.

I am sure others have had it happen, but it is my first time hearing of it. My McMillans have all been bullet proof through typical use.

I bet they would send you a new one.

Is this a common problem or is this a fluke? I am ordering a GAP rifle with the adjustable cheek piece as an upgrade because I feel would be less problematic than the adjustable saddle.

I got two words for adj cheekpieces:

Try the KMW Loggerhead by Terry Cross! I'd be hard pressed to break mine, even if I tried!