• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

Thanks for the reply. I tried again and still get the 400 error msg. Must be something wrong with my configuration. Also says something about cookies. What ever that is. I am not very computer savvy.

Thanks for the reply. I tried again and still get the 400 error msg. Must be something wrong with my configuration. Also says something about cookies. What ever that is. I am not very computer savvy.
Yes, clear your cache/cookies or try another browser and you should be good to go.

@MDT_OFFICIAL is the Oryx for the Savage SA inlet compatible with the MDT POLY/METAL MAGAZINE ? i've seen several conversations about the platform being designed for the Poly mags, but other comments saying that the Howa inlet is the one with issues with the metal mags.

Reactions: GTGIII
@MDT_OFFICIAL is the Oryx for the Savage SA inlet compatible with the MDT POLY/METAL MAGAZINE ? i've seen several conversations about the platform being designed for the Poly mags, but other comments saying that the Howa inlet is the one with issues with the metal mags.
Yes, they will work great! Our chassis is meant for true AICS pattern magazines; we produce out magazines to AICS specifications. Yes, the Howa 1500 has a flat bottom, which the metal magazines do not fit without slight modification.

It is compatible with mine but it's a tight fit. Doesnt drop out and requires perfect insertion to go in. That's why I'm back here, looking for mag recommendations.

@MDTis there anything I can do to get my MDT polymer mag to work a little better? I dont have to force it in, it has to be just right to go I don't and it requires pulling to drop out.

Savage SA

It is compatible with mine but it's a tight fit. Doesnt drop out and requires perfect insertion to go in. That's why I'm back here, looking for mag recommendations.

If you are having issues you can reach out to us on our support page and we are more than happy to help. Otherwise we do offer full poly (8 round) and full metal (5, 10 and 12 round) options. Otherwise, the Oryx for a Savage SA will work with any standard AICS pattern magazine.

@MDTis there anything I can do to get my MDT polymer mag to work a little better? I dont have to force it in, it has to be just right to go in and it requires pulling to drop out.

Savage SA top release.

Last edited:
I see multiple folks saying the savage bottom bolt release model is having issues with the fitment and bolt closure. Can someone let me know if this is a real issue? Any happy savage bottom bolt release oryx owners here? Thanks

I see multiple folks saying the savage bottom bolt release model is having issues with the fitment and bolt closure. Can someone let me know if this is a real issue? Any happy savage bottom bolt release oryx owners here? Thanks
We haven't had any reports of this.

I'm thiiiiiiiis close to grabbing one of these for an upcoming rimfire project (Tikka T1x). The only thing giving me pause, really, is how much support it will get from MDT in the long term. I know I'm putting MDT on the spot by asking this, but do you guys have a plan for more accessories in the future like redesigned stock panels for riding bags? I would think you have an opportunity to build a little ecosystem around the Oryx based on the kinds of feedback and requests you're getting here.

We haven't had any reports of this.
Here's where I'm reading these issues on the Oryx website.....

1586792138790.png

I've got an Oryx on an old Savage 10 .308 that I replaced a B&C bedded stock on. Really like the Oryx on that one, so I decided to replace my thumb hole stock on my Savage .222 with one too. Originally a .223 that I rebarrelled with a Douglas .222. It will consistently shoot in the .3's but I never liked the thumb hole stock. So I'll try the Oryx. Ordered it about week ago but hasn't shipped yet. Then I forgot to order a mag with it so did that last night. Got an email today that it already shipped. Of course, they couldn't just put it in with the stock (no good without the stock!) and save me a few bucks shipping, LOL! I had trouble too ordering both items. Had to order each one 3 times before it would take. Kept getting error message and it would kick me out.

I've been evaluating two different versions of bag rides from Jamer (https://www.jamerllc.com/) One vision is shorter, wider and really locks into a rabbit ear bag for shooting from a rest and the other is long and narrow and works well for a squeeze bag. Both versions slip on in place of the LOP spacer. I have the first one on my 6.5 and the other style on my .223.

View attachment 7255332

View attachment 7255333

Picked up one of the bag riders, thanks for the link!

@MDT_Josh

What 223 magazine is compatible with the Rem model 7 chassis?

Will the Accurate Mag 223 DSSF mags work?

I might see if I can make one out of stainless. Not sure if I have something that thick and wide though. Will see, have to take a spacer and measure and see what I have for material. If not I'll order a printed one.

Reactions: A-Rob
I might see if I can make one out of stainless. Not sure if I have something that thick and wide though. Will see, have to take a spacer and measure and see what I have for material. If not I'll order a printed one.

I'd love it if MDT made optional bag rider panels, like the mock up posted earlier in the thread. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I was also able to fit a XLR 3" front M-Lok bagrider. I had to grind off the front M-Lok tab and leave the first attachment screw out but it works great.

AC255087-13BE-4EA6-8F3E-E6C914E7BF84.jpeg

Reactions: geek65
@MDT_Josh

What 223 magazine is compatible with the Rem model 7 chassis?

Will the Accurate Mag 223 DSSF mags work?
Yes and yes!

Thanks! Does anybody have a Howage in an Oryx? Wondering if I need to make room for a barrel nut before painting the chassis.
As long as it doesn't exceed the diameter of the action it will fit.

Question for MDT...how far out on Savage SA's are you at this time?
Hard to say, the next production run is due to be completed in the next 1 - 3 weeks. Will likely be sold out, make sure you are on backorder if you would like one.

Guys. just an FYI for those that might want to color change the side panels/butt panels without buying a new set. The polymer that MDT chose REALLY absorbs the Rit Dye extremely well. I went from the green to black for about $2 and it looks perfect. I got the black and let the water almost get to boiling and used about 3-4 tbls. Let sit in there 5 mins. No purple huing either. I think Rit updated their black dye formula. Looks perfect.

Reactions: A-Rob
Does anyone know if a t3x will drop into a t1x inlet? As far as I'm aware the t1x just has a larger cut out for the magwell.

Anyone know the thread spec on the cheek rest screws, and the hex size on the panels?

Also, is it possible to combine items from the main MDT store and the oryx store to save on shipping? It would be nice if the vertical grip was available on the oryx site.

Last edited:
Reactions: stephanovich
Does anyone know if a t3x will drop into a t1x inlet? As far as I'm aware the t1x just has a larger cut out for the magwell.

Anyone know the thread spec on the cheek rest screws, and the hex size on the panels?

Also, is it possible to combine items from the main MDT store and the oryx store to save on shipping? It would be nice if the vertical grip was available on the oryx site.
Typically not, we use a different bottom metal for the T1X so you wouldn't be able to use AICS magazines. Cheek riser is 1/4-20 and panels screws take a 3/32. We are two separate companies and we can do our best to combine orders, but there it's not always possible. Maybe in the future, if Oryx is expanded more.

I was wondering if anybody has photos of just the chassis without the polymer plates on?

I haven't been able to find any photos online how just the metal underneath looks like.

Last edited:
Reactions: ggladck
I have a Tikka T3x Super Varmint that is going in an Oryx stock. I reload my own rounds, and was wondering if the MDT .308 7.62mm 10 round AICS magazine without the binder plate will feed correctly in this rifle?

I was wondering if anybody has photos of just the chassis without the polymer plates on?

I haven't been able to find any photos online how just the metal underneath looks like.
Are you looking for something in particular?

I have a Tikka T3x Super Varmint that is going in an Oryx stock. I reload my own rounds, and was wondering if the MDT .308 7.62mm 10 round AICS magazine without the binder plate will feed correctly in this rifle?
Yes, they will work fine.

Reactions: The viking
Are you looking for something in particular?

Just wondering how it looks underneath.. usually a new product is disected within one week of released. But haven't found a single photo or video yet :)

You should make one for the SSG 3000 rifle!!

Last edited:
Just wondering how it looks underneath.. usually a new product is disected within one week of released. But haven't found a single photo or video yet :)

You should make one for the SSG 3000 rifle!!

Here is a picture with one of the panels off.

Attachments

• IMG_6267.jpg
    IMG_6267.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 341
I dropped my Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine .308, in the Oryx stock. What a difference. While always fairly accurate, I would get fliers. This stock really tightened up my groups. That last group on the sight in, those other 3 rounds are from my Armalite TAC18 .308

Attachments

• 156357B4-24B4-449B-96AA-4EA9B73367E4.jpeg
    156357B4-24B4-449B-96AA-4EA9B73367E4.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 228
  • F36D72E9-4CF0-4253-9C0E-0F7B43999D21.jpeg
    F36D72E9-4CF0-4253-9C0E-0F7B43999D21.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 2DDAA97C-5336-4AD6-851E-D4C10C2ECAAB.jpeg
    2DDAA97C-5336-4AD6-851E-D4C10C2ECAAB.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 185
  • A4B8B43C-5F72-4947-AEEB-F2FF34A07177.jpeg
    A4B8B43C-5F72-4947-AEEB-F2FF34A07177.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 05072E8B-F1B1-40D2-AB4E-D9915052E070.jpeg
    05072E8B-F1B1-40D2-AB4E-D9915052E070.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 153
  • B2ABA665-1944-4795-9341-E81E0C4195A3.jpeg
    B2ABA665-1944-4795-9341-E81E0C4195A3.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 168
I just purchased a Howa SA in 6.5 CM with Oryx chassis. I also purchased several Magpul AICS magazines to go with it. I’ve had issues with all magazines, even the supplied MDT magazine. I’ve had to shave off material from the feed lips and top front of the Magpul magazines to get the bolt to. Lear and magazines to seat withou smacking them hard. I was at my LGS today getting my s IPR rail and decided to pick up a metal AICS mag to see how well it fit. The metal AICS magazine will not seat. Now I fear I may have an out of spec mag well or my release is out of spec. I also have to tap the MDT mag to get it to seat. This is my first chassis rifle, so I’m a bit ignorant of what this should have been.
What is your opinion @MDT_Josh ?

Reactions: MDT_Josh and TACC
I just purchased a Howa SA in 6.5 CM with Oryx chassis. I also purchased several Magpul AICS magazines to go with it. I’ve had issues with all magazines, even the supplied MDT magazine. I’ve had to shave off material from the feed lips and top front of the Magpul magazines to get the bolt to. Lear and magazines to seat withou smacking them hard. I was at my LGS today getting my s IPR rail and decided to pick up a metal AICS mag to see how well it fit. The metal AICS magazine will not seat. Now I fear I may have an out of spec mag well or my release is out of spec. I also have to tap the MDT mag to get it to seat. This is my first chassis rifle, so I’m a bit ignorant of what this should have been.
What is your opinion @MDT_Josh ?

My MDT Mags were a little tight at first but now they engage perfectly with no wiggle. Feeding has been 100%. My rifle is a Savage so I don’t know about a Howa in an Oryx? Is yours a factory Howa/Oryx or did you drop your 1500 into an Oryx stock? If it’s a factory rifle I’d get ahold of Legacy Sports. If you dropped your barreled action into an Oryx I’d give MDT a call.

Reactions: dieseltech82
My MDT Mags were a little tight at first but now they engage perfectly with no wiggle. Feeding has been 100%. My rifle is a Savage so I don’t know about a Howa in an Oryx? Is yours a factory Howa/Oryx or did you drop your 1500 into an Oryx stock? If it’s a factory rifle I’d get ahold of Legacy Sports. If you dropped your barreled action into an Oryx I’d give MDT a call.
It’s a factory Howa/Oryx. Is your MDT mags metal or poly? My poly fits, but I have to give it a slap to sear it, as with my Magpul. I was able to remove some from the front top of the Magpul and now it seats easily. I only removed a few thousandths to get it to seat. Then I removed some from the feed lips as the bolt was not clearing the feed lips. Now the Magpul are pretty good except the overall snug fit. I suspect the mag release is out of spec.

It’s a factory Howa/Oryx. Is your MDT mags metal or poly? My poly fits, but I have to give it a slap to sear it, as with my Magpul. I was able to remove some from the front top of the Magpul and now it seats easily. I only removed a few thousandths to get it to seat. Then I removed some from the feed lips as the bolt was not clearing the feed lips. Now the Magpul are pretty good except the overall snug fit. I suspect the mag release is out of spec.
Mine are the metal mags.