• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mec Marksman Opinion

warnera1102

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2020
I have been looking to replace my old Lee Challanger press that got me into reloading years ago. To be honest this press has put together more rounds than I thought it would but the small O frame is becoming a hassle seating my 7RM with Bergers due to length. I have been very intrigued by the Mec Marksman due to the open front and the specs on the Ultimate Reloader Review. I do not prime on the press nor do I plan to.
So to the guys who own one, what is our opinion?

I started with the MEC stand than went to the in-line just to keep things similar but the MEC stand is pretty cool with built in die storage.

I got mine a couple years ago when I was sick of my Rockchucker that has some play in it (Edit : not made in China crap, they are still made in USA, sorry) I thought I would improve my concentricity if I got a Co-Ax or a MEC Marksman, I couldn’t find a Forster so I bought the MEC and glad I did. Rockchucker is dedicated for depriming now. Concentricity improved, I love it. So simple and works well.

I have it mounted on the MEC press mount.

Last edited:
Love mine. Rock solid. Running it on an Inline Fab stand. With good dies, I'm at 1 to 1.5 tho of runout.

Awesome.
Glad to hear the good reviews.
How do you like the floating shell holder?

Love mine as well. Put it on an in-line fabrication mount and added the UFO light to it. Floating shell holder is the bees knees. I don’t regret not getting the Co-ax.

Love mine! Just wish I could cost-justify a progressive with all the fixins because single-stage work is SLOW AS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUK

Reactions: Tillerup!
I like mine , very solid press for the money .Sensitive enough to sense neck tension while seating bullets .

Reactions: Tillerup!
Mine has been working well, no real complaints. One thing for me anyways is, I feed the machine with my left hand and run the handle with the right, it’s not as easy to feed it as say an off centered o press. The support arm on the left side kinda gets in the way of easy feeding

Another thing to be aware of with the MEC press; if you ever plan on using an on-press primer pocket swaging die it won’t work. The floating shell holder retainer prevents most of them from working.

Hang on to your old press if you need that functionality.

Has anyone ever tried a straight handle on the Marksman?

I have one. Really smooth and I really like the open front with really easy access.
I put in- line roller handles on mine and find i really like this set up.

Reactions: cro789
Another thing to be aware of with the MEC press; if you ever plan on using an on-press primer pocket swaging die it won’t work. The floating shell holder retainer prevents most of them from working.

I know this is old, but if it helps anyone, removing the shell holder retaining clip will allow the the swager tool to fit

I have been looking to replace my old Lee Challanger press that got me into reloading years ago. To be honest this press has put together more rounds than I thought it would but the small O frame is becoming a hassle seating my 7RM with Bergers due to length. I have been very intrigued by the Mec Marksman due to the open front and the specs on the Ultimate Reloader Review. I do not prime on the press nor do I plan to.
So to the guys who own one, what is our opinion?
You'll love the open front
I got mine a couple years ago when I was sick of my Rockchucker that has slop in it because made in China crap, I thought I would improve my concentricity if I got a Co-Ax or a MEC Marksman, I couldn’t find a Forster so I bought the MEC and glad I did. Rockchucker is dedicated for depriming now. Concentricity improved, I love it. So simple and works well.

Rock chuckers are made in China now? Big time sad face

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
I got mine a couple years ago when I was sick of my Rockchucker that has slop in it because made in China crap, I thought I would improve my concentricity if I got a Co-Ax or a MEC Marksman, I couldn’t find a Forster so I bought the MEC and glad I did. Rockchucker is dedicated for depriming now. Concentricity improved, I love it. So simple and works well.

@Team RCBS & Bushnell can you confirm the Rock Chucker is now made in China?

@Team RCBS & Bushnell can you confirm the Rock Chucker is now made in China?
I can confirm they are made in Oroville, CA. I have a few pics from a few years ago. I'm in the Overland Park, KS office. I can see if I can get some newer pics of the facility. Unfortunately I haven't been there on a tour myself yet or I'd have a lot more. The Rock Chucker is made in USA, not China.

_Y5A9048.jpg
_Y5A9090.jpg
_Y5A8999.jpg
_Y5A9128.jpg

Not going to lie I forgot about this thread. I did end up with a Mec.
I have been very impressed with the consistency and smoothness. I did add the hornady bushing conversion to the press, well worth it.

Reactions: Jonathan Swift
I like to have a single stage aside the 650. I’ve had a Redding big boss , a co ax , and a MEC. They were all decent . The only one I’ve kept is the MEC.

Has anyone ever tried a straight handle on the Marksman?
Pretty sure the fulcrum point on the ram and handle makes it that it needs to have that curve in it.
If I recall they offer a long and short handle for it.

That’s why use the old ones for… the dirty work.!!