• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

media for tumbling

Re: media for tumbling

Been using walnut and Brasso. Don't know how long it last's, still going after a year like the bunny.

What is the ratio of Media / Brass (rifle /pistol) do you put in your Model B?

I think that I have seen two versions of the Model B, one that turns more RPM's that the other.

How many RPM's does your Tumbler do?

I switched out the motor for the faster motor! RPM's not sure, but it get them clean in about 4-5 hours.

The ratio is 5lb SS media, water to within 1 1/2" of the top of the drum and brass is ????. The less full you have the drum the faster and better they clean! I guess I do it by eye! I try to keep the drum half empty when looking at it.

Terry

JRB572: Did you get you lids yet???

Not sure what the RPM's are? However, I have had both motors on the tumbler and they both get the job done! The one is faster, however if you leave it run overnight they will both get the same results! Clean as new!

Like some other guy said in another thread! If it rotates it last forever!

My tumbler has been going for 10years without any problems! I relaced the motor for the faster one. The slower one is still good and kept for a backup if for some reason the other goes down.

Thumlers makes a very good product and they are great people to deal with.

Terry

Got them on Tuesday or wensday. Only charged me 20 for two lids. They even said we are sorry it took so long for two small pices. I'm looking for some nasty looks like it's been sitting out side for two months brass. I just want to see if it will clean it because it does such a great job of cleaning brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for some nasty looks like it's been sitting out side for two months brass. I just want to see if it will clean it because it does such a great job of cleaning brass. </div></div>

I have picked up some range brass that was pretty nasty! Wiped most of the crud off them and tumbled! The result was the same, like new!

I got a box of 50BMG range brass from a buddy before 911. They was really nasty! I tumbled them in 25 piece batches and they looked like new!

Get some nasty brass and take some picts! Post your results!

I have some that I will do!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">suasponte,

What size is the SS media? </div></div>

0.040" dia x .25" long!

Terry

The pictures are very deceving of it. I thought it would be much larger. I will if some sends me some real nasty brass. I will do a 100 pices for 1 person and send them back if they want. So they can see the results. But I'll do it for one person only.

Here is a picture of a really nasty 9mm range pick up that got stuck inside a 40S&W while cleaning! You can see the before and after pretty well!

DSCI0001-8.jpg

DSCI0002-11.jpg

The inside of that case was brown with crap and looks like new brass out of a bag. If you pop the primers prior to cleaning they do look just like new brass that you got in the store!

Terry

Thank you suasponte and jrb572!

I am now using the stainless media on once fired Lake City 223 brass and it is doing a great job. The brass looks like new, the primer pocket is clean and any flash from from the crimp removal is smoothed.

5 Lb. stainless media, 2 Lb. brass, two table spoons Dawn dish washing detergent and one gallon of water makes a 15 Lb. load for the Thrumbler's model "B" with a 12 Hr. run time.

This is the easiest and best cleaning I have found.

After the run I pour off the dirty water and rinse slightly, I just pick the brass out of the drum. The media is easy to shake out of the brass, just pay attention not to lose any media.

Brass then goes in a cup and is rinsed well under running water, shake it off and dry. No water spots, stains or residue will be left on the brass.

Thanks suasponte and jrb572!

Good shooting,
Ron

No thanks needed. Thank suasponte without him I would have not known about it. I got tired of babysitting my ultrasonic cleaner and thought there has to be a better way. Some more brass pics. 45 .308 win BHA pices 4 hours.
SDC10193.jpg
SDC10195.jpg
SDC10198.jpg

I'm smiling ear to ear!
grin.gif
I enjoy hearing guys that have used it and then tell me about it! My shooting buddys accused me of ultrasonic cleaing them, then tumbling them to polish! I gave my one buddy my extra 5lb and told him to get the most dirty range brass that he would never even think of picking up, cleaning and reloading. He did so, with 20 peices of 308's he found. At last count he was up to 6 loads on them.

I have reloaded for 28yrs plus! and this is buy far the best method I have come across!

And not all the thanks is Mine!! My buddy in SC introduced me to it! He is a Master High power, Master pistol, Master Small bore, and two time Presidents 100. He also worked at the Small caliber lab at Aberdeen for several years. When he tells me something works I listen!

PS: Welcome to the club Ron!

Terry

I know this is a little late to the party but...

Anybody have a good source for getting the steel pins and shapes mentioned above at a reasonable price - one of the sources I've found thus far only sells in industrial sized (55lbs) quantities... and no, I'm not interested in buying the whole thing and then reselling it to others, or otherwise mucking about with a 'group' buy.
wink.gif

Would some of the smaller 'jewelers' mix batches work without getting stuck in the flash hole, primer pocket, or otherwise wedged in the cases?

PM suasponte. He will point you in the right direction.

SDC10208.jpg
.308 win case

Been asked about the size so here is a Picture to maybe help a bit. The only place they have been stuck is in the flash hole. But nothing a small punch or paper clip wont push out easily.

Anyone tried this in vibratory case cleaner yet? And where is everyone getting their media at?

This media does not work well in vibratory tumblers. The Water, soap, and rotary action is what makes this system work.

Terry

Thanks for all of the data Terry, I have everything ordered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all of the data Terry, I have everything ordered. </div></div>

Where did you get your tumbler at! I have had several guys PM and ask! I told everyone Cabela's. If you found a better location please post it.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you get this media again? </div></div>

PM Sent

Terry

Terry -

Ordered it from Lock Stock and Barrel, as they showed it in stock for a bit cheaper than Cabela's. I also have 5 pounds of media on the way...Your source is one hell of a nice guy to talk with.

Thanks,
Josh

Yeah, he is a wealth of knowledge! He worked at Aberdeen Small Caliber lab for several years. You have a question he has the answer. Also, just a good guy all round.

A true shooter in all aspects.

Terry

One more thing about the stainless steel media. the only thing extra I found that works a little better is add about an ounce of degreaser from Sam's. Its purple. But the gallon of hot water and teaspoon of dish soap works just fine.

Dennis_in_VA: A little bird in SC told me you have huge tumbler. Can you post some picts of this bad boy?

Terry

This is fascinating. I've been using corn cob and walnut for years. I hate the dust. I want to switch asap...

Stainless media: I can't seem to find anything by that description on the Kramer Ind. website. It should be under 'tumbling media - stainless' correct?

emfour

I am using a large tumbler made by Contempo Lapidary. The drum is 12X12 inches and holds about 4 Gal., motor is 1/3 Hp.. Several years ago Contempo was bought out by Diamond Pacific, whose model 40T, looks like the same tumbler in blue paint.

I think the Tumbler's standard Model b and this tumbler would both do better for brass cleaning if they ran faster. I have found faster rotation makes the cleaning action more aggressive, but doubling the rotation speed does not cut the cleaning time in half.

I have only found one source on optimum barrel speed; that was a forum posting that referenced a lapidary book. According to the lapidary book, the optimum barrel speed is 35 to 55 percent of critical speed. Critical speed is the RPM where the tumbling mix starts to stick to the barrel from centripetal force. Critical speed is calculated by dividing 54.19 by the square root of the barrel radius in feet. A 12 inch diameter barrel should turn 25 to 35 RPM.

Here is the tumbling mix:
Two peanut jars of media 22 Lb.
3.5 Gal water 28 lb.
Brass 6 Lb.
tumbler body 25 Lb.

As you can see, the drum is now heavy enough to cause severe injury, if you get careless in handling.

I tried 30 Lbs. of media and found that that was too much. The cleaning was not any better and the media was packed tight in the cases (223 Rem.).

Six hour run, compared to model B the results are:
amount of noise x4
amount of dirty water X4
amount of soap did not measure but estimated X4
amount of brass cleaned X4
run time same
unload time X4
load time X2

I sent Mark a 3000 RPM motor to turn his standard Model b into the high speed Model b, perhaps we can get some more cleaning reports from him.

Good Shooting!
Ron

Pictures:

tumbler1.jpg

tumbler2.jpg

tumbler3.jpg

tumbler4.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emfour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is fascinating. I've been using corn cob and walnut for years. I hate the dust. I want to switch asap...

Stainless media: I can't seem to find anything by that description on the Kramer Ind. website. It should be under 'tumbling media - stainless' correct?

emfour </div></div>

Check your PM's! The contact info for the media is there!

Terry

Nice tumbler Ron!

suasponte, Can you pm me details on where to get the meida.

Thanks Frank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emfour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Terry!

One more question, does the stainless media cause any undue wear on the brass?

</div></div>

If you let it run for too long (more than 12hours) there will be a slight gold tint in the water from brass.

It is not any worse than corn cob or walnut in my opinion.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sormi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">suasponte, Can you pm me details on where to get the meida.

Thanks Frank. </div></div>

PM sent! However, my contact has told me with all the recent interest he is out for a couple weeks until he can get more in.

Terry

Terry,

Another quick question. Have you ever tried adding/using different shape stainless media ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry,

Another quick question. Have you ever tried adding/using different shape stainless media ? </div></div>

No, I have been just using the cylinders! I have not seen any reason to mess with what I am doing!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ted_D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just dropped my money in the mail for 5 pounds. </div></div>

can someone PM me a place to get the media and tumbler.... please!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.A. Lawman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ted_D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just dropped my money in the mail for 5 pounds. </div></div>

can someone PM me a place to get the media and tumbler.... please!!!! </div></div>

See pg #2 of this thread! Cabela's, Buffalo Arms, Lock, Stock, and Barrel.

PM sent for Media!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypertex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just go to your local pet store, navigate to where the terrariums are and buy a bag of crushed walnut shells. Cheaper than the gun store by far</div></div>

Yep and if you can find it, the finely ground cob like for lizards.