• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

media for tumbling

Re: media for tumbling

Guys, if you have not heard from my contact regarding the media please resend your email! He has had a issue regarding his email account and has just got it resolved. Sorry!

He has also asked that you provide a contact number for him! This will make it easier for him to make arrangements with you.

Thanks

Terry

I'll just add. I got a very fast reply from "the connection" along with a few tips regarding which detergents to use.

My contact just emailed me today:

"All orders I have received MOs for are sent out Monday and Tuesday. Got in another 50 pounds yesterday. There are two MOs on the way now I think."

Terry -

I am one of them...the tumbler showed up today, and is a beast. What combination of water/soap have you found to produce the best results?

Thanks for the help.

Josh

All I have used so far is 1gal hot water 1table spoon dawn. But I have tried a ounce of degreaser first two runs seemed to make a difference. But my last one not to sure it helped.

5lb media, water to within 1 1/2" of the top of the tumbler and my brass plus dawn dish soap! I just squirt it in by eye! I don't get to scientific with it! Load it at 10 to 11:00 at night and unload it a 5:00 to 5:30 in the morning! It has been giving me very clean brass!

I towel dry them and toss them in my drying box for the day and can load them that night!

Do not pack it full of brass! It is more effective if you keep the load reasonable! (100) 308's per tub, 25 50BMG's, 200 40S&W. Play with it! 200 223's seems to be a good #.

Terry

Has anybody else that got there media recently tried it yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you PM me the "contact" info also. Thanks.

CJG </div></div>

TWB and Rotortuner PM's have been sent.

Terry

I have everything on hand as of yeasterday, but am in San Francisco for the weekend. I'm back in town on Sunday, and i'll take pics and have results on Monday. Can't wait to see these results!

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emfour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Terry!

One more question, does the stainless media cause any undue wear on the brass?

</div></div>

If you let it run for too long (more than 12hours) there will be a slight gold tint in the water from brass.

It is not any worse than corn cob or walnut in my opinion.

Terry </div></div>

What I have done to help prevent this (and any peening) is to soak the cases overnight in a pale of water with the soap and Lemishine already added. Then I just dump the mixture into the tumbler and let them go for 1/2-to-1 hour and the cases come out spotless, primer pockets and all. Better to let the "solvent" do the work to soften things up than to try to scrub things out mechanically.

This works for ultrasonic cleaning as well...

What I have been doing is taking a 2 liter pop bottle filled with water and Dish soap with me to the range! After firing I deprime using a cheap Lee press that I got from Midway for $25 and drop them in the bottle. When I get home they go in the tumbler for a couple hours and they come out looking like new. I found if you soak early the carbon does not get hard and comes out easier. I have even added a teaspoon of Citranox to it and the results are great.

Terry

Find it hard to pick up media over here . Just started using rice this evening as an experiment. Read it from a site in NZland.
Will some one tell me if its true would can buy crushed wall nut shells in pet shops if it is ture what is it used for with pets?

Jonny

Would the stainless steel media be something you could get from a sand blasting supplier? What is the original intended purpose of the media?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would the stainless steel media be something you could get from a sand blasting supplier? What is the original intended purpose of the media? </div></div>

I do not think that there was ever a intended purpose for this prior to the Brass cleaning! My buddy measured brass, flash holes, and etc to come up with the measurements and went from there.

Terry

Terry, can you PM the contact info for the guy with the media. Thanks, RG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id be interested in a pm for the media too. </div></div>

PM sent!

Terry

I got my media today. that guy with the SS is GTG for sure, I even weighed it and it was spot on, looking forward to giving this a try.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sako Jako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find it hard to pick up media over here . Just started using rice this evening as an experiment. Read it from a site in NZland.
Will some one tell me if its true would can buy crushed wall nut shells in pet shops if it is ture what is it used for with pets?

Jonny
</div></div>

The stuff is used to coat the floor of (primarily) reptile terrariums. I'll post a pic of the bag later today when I get home.

Lizard Litter. Great stuff it is too. Cleans much better than corn cobb media.

I also shaved with a coarse file a bit of brush wheel paste (white is all I have) into the litter. Noticeable difference in appearance of the brass.

Sherlok

Can I get a PM for the SS media? Thanks
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a stainless media that can be used in a RCBS vibratory type cleaner?</div></div>

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. If the answere is no, then would the lizzard litter be my best bet?

Thanks.

Looks like I'm going to return the vibratory tumbler I have on order with Dillon, I don't see any use for it now, especially at $179.

Earlier in the thread it was said that SS media will not work in a vibratory tumbler because it needs the water and dishwashing detergent to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Earlier in the thread it was said that SS media will not work in a vibratory tumbler because it needs the water and dishwashing detergent to work. </div></div>

Correct! The rotary motion along with the SS media, Water, and dish soap is what makes this process work.

Terry

Please hook me up with a PM for the SS media connection.

Looks like this is the real deal.

We use crushed walnut shells in our bird cages instead of newspaper. No mold and you use a mesh scoop to sift out crap, food, etc. so add that to its use in addition to reptiles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please hook me up with a PM for the SS media connection.</div></div>

PM Sent!

Terry

similar question,
I have access to garnet blasting grit in 80 grit size, has anyone tried this type of media in vibratory tumblers? cant use walnut due to dust issues and corn is working well but the garnet is much cheaper for me, if it will work i may pick some up and give it a shot but smallest i can get is 25 pound (5 gallon) containers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DBohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can I get a PM on the contact for the stainless media. Thanks. </div></div>

PM Sent!

Terry

I have never used a tumbler to clean and polish brass. I assume the tumbling action of the stainless steel media creates pressure and grinding on the brass. Might this action create enough pressure and heat on the brass, to micro anneal, and stresses relive it; thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arterg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never used a tumbler to clean and polish brass. I assume the tumbling action of the stainless steel media creates pressure and grinding on the brass. Might this action create enough pressure and heat on the brass, to micro anneal, and stresses relive it; thoughts? </div></div>

No, there is no way that it would ever get close to the temperature required to anneal the brass.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOLY CRAP this stuff is 30.00 per pound and you have to buy 50 pound min so thats 1500 for an initial load!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasmotor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/index.htm </div></div> </div></div>

Yeah Bill the ceramic stuff is $$$$$! I think on the fist page of the post I said that I called them and it was $55/lb with a minimum order of 50lbs I think!

Terry

Hi, all!

As you can tell I'm new here and also just trying to get started reloading...which is how I found the site.

Terry, I'm very interested in your brass cleaning method and enjoyed the videos...thanks for taking the time to put those together. I would appreciate you PM'in me the info for the media.

Thanks!
Chet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winterset</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, I'm very interested in your brass cleaning method and enjoyed the videos...thanks for taking the time to put those together. I would appreciate you PM'in me the info for the media.

Thanks!
Chet </div></div>

Check your PM's, info sent.

Terry

Second that I owe both of you for this . may just retire the Vibratory cleaner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry -

Ordered it from Lock Stock and Barrel, as they showed it in stock for a bit cheaper than Cabela's. I also have 5 pounds of media on the way...Your source is one hell of a nice guy to talk with.

Thanks,
Josh </div></div>