• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*MISSOURI* BPSC* F-Class Prize Money Shoot * AUG 1

bpsc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
MISSOURI
rsz_1moneyshoot2.jpg

The Big Piney Sportsmans Club is Celebrating their 50th anniversary, And will be Hosting a F-Class Multi-Range Event August 1st 2010 9:00am
This is a Prize Money Shoot,Cash will be awarded for 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th place.
Entry 25.00 dollars.
This event is open to the public.
Shooting will be from the prone position 100-700 yards
Prize drawings will be held at every firing position.
Any questions just ask.

Thanks

Re: *MISSOURI* BPSC* F-Class Prize Money Shoot * AUG 1

This shoot is an add-on event. and will be a great time for all.
If only the average number of shooters show for this event which is 23,cash awards will be as follows.
1st would get $138.00, 2nd $103.50, 3rd $69.00 and 4th $34.50.
The More shooters that show the more the Pool will increase.
We are prepared to run 2 relays with 50+ shooters.
this would effectively double the prize pool.
put your game face on, and get your gear ready for this one.

Thanks
BPSC

My 7 BAT should be back from APA with a fresh barrel. Oh and a lil' bastard that'll be even louder!! I'm coming with my A game for this one!!

Sounds like fun. There should be a good size group from Columbia Heading down.

Five rounds in the prone every 100 yards from 100 to 700 yards. The target at 100 yards, I believe, has close to a 3/4 inch bullseye with outer scoring rings. I believe the 200 target has about a one-inch bullseye with outer scoring rings. The target from 300 yards on back is the SR 200 yard highpower rifle target.

You would think this is an easy course to shoot, but it isn't. Except for the 100 and 200 yard lines, the shooters don't see where their rounds hit the target, unless they have a very good spotting scope. There are no range flags to help judge wind.

I'll be there with rain gear.

I'd love to go, will have to see if the wife will allow it.

sounds like a good time will there be punch and pie ?

Lunch will be provided, I personaly just come to the matches for the food
wink.gif

poorboyshooter- should just leave that 300 win mag at home and bring out the 260 big baby grow some ball's and bring it lol

big c with the big black stick save the trash talking at least til the ride down to the match. BIG BLACK STICK REFERING TO YOUR 260

A special thanks to MIDWAYUSA for prize donations.
A Special thanks to BPSC members for prize donations.
A special thanks to the NRA for prize donations.

A detailed list of prizes with photos will be posted soon.

stay tuned...

Three weeks until the shoot.. everybody practice up!!
We have some great prizes to give away already heres a taste.
DSCF1265.jpg

DSCF1266.jpg

DSCF1267.jpg

DSCF1268.jpg

From MidwayUSA
1 each of both #s Tactical Pistol Gun Case (521-124, 160-870)

1 each of both #s Tactical Rifle Gun Case (398-803, 239-907)

1 each Competition Shooting Mat (169-107)

4 each Regular Gun Socks (460-228)

4 each of both #s Black and Camo Cap (115-483, 934-278)

2 each ear muffs 214443

4 each Tactical Gun Socks (796-584)

From BPSC
2 Military ruck sack

1 molle vest

1 Tac vest

3 field tool kits

1 Harris style s bipod

2 Knives

3 Taclights

2 Drop leg holsters

1 Sling

2 Cawldwell low pro earmuffs

1 Dig camo fanny pack

3 Monoculars 12x

1 Spotting scope

and more still coming in..........stay tuned

I wish I could come, i'll be chillin' at the lake with my wife and daughters though, can't pass up family vacation time!

I'm tentatively planning on coming to the Aug 28th and 29th events, both rimfire and sniper match. Getting excited about it.

Branden

We are rained out at the construction site today, so I am headed to Pipe Plus for more steel to start construction of 7 additional Double Vertical target frames a little earlier than planned. If you are familiar with the range these are the ones on the right end of the long range target bank that have 2 targets stacked one above the other. (4 feet wide X 10 feet tall) We are also planning on welding a tab on the 5 existing 4 x 10 frames for an additional Wind angle brace. When we get these new frames in place we will be able to put up 32 of the Hi Power Targets at one time. At the moment 25 targets is all we can get up at one time. We had 30 shooters at the last F Class Match, and had to do a second relay. As our turn outs have been steadily comming up more targets are needed to try and stay with a single relay.

I plan on spending all next week working at the range getting things tuned up for the 50th Anniversary Hamburger Fry Saturday July 17th starting at 6 PM. Gunrunner, BPSC, TAC06, and others will also be working at the range. Bill Beasley our retired Post Master will be our guest speaker. Bill is the LAST Original Founding Board Member from 1960 when the Club was started.

We will have our regular F class match on Sunday 18 July starting at 9 AM. We should have a very large turn out for this match, using it as a Train Up Day for the 1 August Money Shoot.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">SCHEDULE from now till the 1 August Money Shoot:</span></span>
Every Thursday Evening: Trap & Skeet starting at 4 PM
10 July: Sporting Clays starting at 8 AM
11 July: IDPA type Defensive Pistol Match starting at 9 AM
17 July: 600 Yard Hi Power Bench Rest Match 12 Noon
17 July: 50 Yard Rimfire Bench Rest Match 12 Noon
17 July: Rimfire Sniper Match after Rimfire Bench Rest

17 July: 50th Anniversary Hamburger Fry 6 PM
NOTE: The Trap & Skeet Ranges will be open bring a shotgun

<span style="font-weight: bold">18 July: Multi Range F Class 100 - 800 Yards 9 AM</span>
(Train Up Day for the 1 August Money Shoot)
18 July: 2-Gun Combat Course 9 AM (Runs all Day)
24 July: 3D Archery Match 9 AM

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">01 August: F Class Money Shoot</span></span>

Things are comming together nicely. BPSC and Gunrunner have been working hard getting this match together, and getting sponsors. Come on out and have a great time with us.

TAC06 and I went to Pipe Plus and picked up all the steel this morning. Next was a trip to Ross Lumber Yard for lumber. I called Mr. Rabum one of our 600 Yard Benchrest shooters who volunteered to weld them up. He was on site at 5 PM this evening with his portable welder.
All 7 new target bases for the Tall Boy's are completed, and the Tabs are welded on the 5 old Tall Boy's for Wind Braces.
Monday we will pick up 7 sheets of Black Fiber Board for the target faces from Friend Lumber Yard, and start building the new target frames.
The 2 on the Right end will be Extra Tall Boys We have 12 foot vertical legs for them. This should give good clearance for those 2 bottom targets from the 700 yard firing point. The other 5 new target frames will be the standard 10 foot tall model.
Making progress.

Well it is monday morning. We are getting ready to head to the range with our construction trailer to start work on the target frames. It rained quite a bit last night so it could be a little muddy down range to start swapping target stands around. That will probably be tomorrow anyway. We can round up some additional help for that. The Tall Boys are a little more trouble to move around than the 4' X 4' ones. We will probably move all the target frames before we are done tomorrow. I am planning on moving the 2 existing 4' X 8' frames to the left end. After placing all 12 Tall Boys, we will only have 4 more of the 4' X 4' target frames on line on the main target bank.
I will keep you posted on the progress.

I got word yesterday at the IDPA Style Pistol Match that they would like pulled pork sandwitches and my baked beans with little smokies for lunch on the 1 August shoot.

We will probably have Red Beans & Rice on the 18 July Match. Possibly left over burgers from the 50th Anniversary Hamburger Fry.

I was just doin the math on food. 8 4lbs containers of pre cooked pulled pork + your little smokey bbq beans. should be enough food. but its gonna take a trip to SAMs ClUB, pre packaged pulled pork not a common item localy.

Hello!

I just have a question about your 7/17 & 7/18 shoots (benchrest & F-Class multi-range).

Are muzzle brakes a no-no for both of those? I figure it is for benchrest but thought maybe I could get away with it for F-Class? I just ordered a thread-cap from YHM but I'm not sure if it'll be in and I'm not sure about changes in POI/MV.

Thanks!

MBs no problem - unless you're next to one!...

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MBs no problem - unless you're next to one!...

Bill</div></div>

Yeah... I doubt I'd be making any friends with one. I'll see if I can't have a "shield" fabbed up before hand (provided I can even make it). I hate to make changes to my rifle a day before the comp and not have any chance to test-fire for changes.

I just read about some of the comps there and they look like a lot of fun and good training!

UPDATE: End of the day Monday.

We have all 7 new Tall Boy Targets ready to transport down range.

We have 2 new Steel Targets up at 800 yards. A round 24" and a Round 18".

TODAY: The sun is out, and the sky is clear. The plan will be to start moving targets around. We will take the tractor down range and start off moving all the rail road ties (Ballast) off the 4' X 4' target frames. Then we will move everything off the line and use the weedeater and clean up before we start resetting targets.

We will sort out the 4' X 4' targets and keep the best 4 down range and move the rest to different locations after rebuilding the ones that need attention. We plan to rebuild the 300 and 400 yard practice targets. We noticed the frames are getting in pretty rough condition.

Well I better close and get to work.

I told BPSC I would cook the pork loins for the pulled pork. It is not that big a deal, we do it every year for the Hog Roast.

NOTICE: You CAN camp out at the range. We have some shooters who do this from time to time. Just let me know when you will be on site, and I will meet you. We had 2 shooters camp out at the last match. I am guessing that they will both be back camped out with some others.

I thought I would mention this for new shooters who have not been on site before.

Me and a couple of buddies are kicking around the idea of coming up and shooting, we are pretty new to the sport and have never shot fclass, do you guys have many rookies that show up or is it best to stay at the house, I would like to get into competitive shooting just gotta get my feet wet.
I have a 338LM that would like to shoot in the event does anyone else bring big cals out. Is it bipod only or can you use a Farley, Sinclair rest.

I can't speak for BPSC but I wouldn't take a rest to the F Class stuff, they have a bench rest match though.

Lots of calibers show up all the way to 50 cal.

The only way is to jump in and do it, your better off finishing last than not showing at all!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me and a couple of buddies are kicking around the idea of coming up and shooting, we are pretty new to the sport and have never shot fclass, do you guys have many rookies that show up or is it best to stay at the house, I would like to get into competitive shooting just gotta get my feet wet.
I have a 338LM that would like to shoot in the event does anyone else bring big cals out. Is it bipod only or can you use a Farley, Sinclair rest. </div></div>

Gotta get your feet wet somehow, if you never try, then you'll never do anything. My first trip out there was a lot of fun. I didn't finish last, but I wasn't mid-pack either, but I still had a great time, and learned a lot.

You're going to want to do bipod only, I don't know if they allow the rests or not, but do you really want to have a support vehicle following you around to carry all your stuff? I would say, if you can't carry it in a backpack, don't bring it. All you really need is Mat, Sandbags, and bullets. Make sure you bring tools to work on your rifle if something comes loose, action screw wrench's, scope rings wrenches, ect... If you bring it, it won't break, lol.

Show up, and show up with a attitude to have a great time and you will. Don't show up to win on your first time, you'll get your heart broken, there are a good group of great shooters there, one of these days, i'll get close to their points, lol.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper225</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOTICE: You CAN camp out at the range. We have some shooters who do this from time to time. Just let me know when you will be on site, and I will meet you. We had 2 shooters camp out at the last match. I am guessing that they will both be back camped out with some others.

I thought I would mention this for new shooters who have not been on site before. </div></div>

I may be camping for the August 28th and 29th events, not sure yet. My B.I.L. is stationed at Ft LostInTheWoods and I may be bringing the wife and kids there for the weekend. At least there is a high likelihood that in the event that I have to camp, I won't be all alone. At least someone will be around to hear my screams when the raccoons attack!

Branden

Sounds great what are the target sizes and how are they scored I would like to do some practice with similar targets, does anyone use spotting scopes, wind meters, and how quickly are the rounds fired is there sufficent time for barrels to cool between targets.
It sounds like a blast I am pretty sure that there will be three of us from the bootheel comming up to give it a try!!!

Any advice on what to practice for or be prepared for would be greatly appreciated.

I used a rest the first time I shot at BPSC. It's a pain to carry extra gear but used it if you need.

Don't worry bout being a rookie or newbie. Everone of us was at one or another. The only way to get experince is to get out there and do it. Make your mistakes and learn from them. Having a good time is what's all about. Every one there is helpful and more than willing to answer question.

Targets are 42" x 42" with a 3" x-ring, 7" 10 ring and 13" 9 ring. 100 and 200 are shot on smaller bulleye targets.

Come out and join the fun.

Don't worry about the 338 being too big. If you can afford to feed it, that's all that matters. A guy brought a 50 to the last sniper match.

A good things about shooting paper and cardboard silhouettes is, large calibers do little more target damage than a 30.
So far we have not had a 50 shot in a match that was tuned up with great target ammo that would shoot small enough groups to do any real target damage. Some day we may have a shooter show up with $200 - $300 worth of target ammo capable of shooting small groups, and he/she may shoot a ball cap size hole in the center of a target. When we do, there will probably be lots of picture taken of the group, and we will replace the Fiber Board before the next match. I think all of us would like to see a group like that shot with a 50 in a match. That would be something to see.
As for the 338 Lapua, we have several being shot in the matches. They are a little loud, but no big deal. If you are shooting anything other than 250 Lapua and 250 or 300 Sierras, we would like to hear about your results. Most of us have not switched over to the newer bullets yet.

Do not worry about being a new shooter. With our bunch, you will think you have known them for years by the end of the first match. We have as great a bunch of guys shooting at Big Piney as you will ever shoot with.

Yesterday we removed the targets from the line, and started resetting them. After we got done we discovered that we can get 2 more of the 4' X 4' targets on line by sliding the Left Side steel silhouette down one space. We checked from all berms, on the 600 yard berm you will need to shoot the steel from the right side. This will give us 34 targets on line.
That should keep us on 1 relay most of the time.
I will keep you posted.

Thursday we reset the Left Steel Silhouette, and got the other 2 rebuilt 4' X 4' Targets up. We got the wind braces installed on all 12 of the Tall Boy Targets. We moved the old Number Trees off the berm, along with some other debris.
We got the 2-Gun Combat Course mowed.
We mowed around the 700/800 yard Firing Point Berm, making some additional cleaned up area for shade. We also worked on the brush down the lane from the 700/800 yard Firing Point. We also did a little tree trimming.
We have rebuilt 7 of the 4' X 4' Targets so far, and built 7 new Tall Boys.

TODAY:
We have 2 of the 4' X 4' targets to rebuild. Both on the 100 yard Left Range. These are the rubber matt faced ones. They get new 1/2" plywood under the existing rubber face.
We are going to mow the sloped area behing the Club House with the 6' Brushhog, then switch to the Big Mower and mow a little down range just to make the place look nicer for Saturday.
Unless I decide to do some painting on the new targets that will be about it.

From Viper225<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This will give us 34 targets on line.
That should keep us on 1 relay most of the time.</div></div>

That's good news, but it doesn't speed up the pace much. I shot 2 F-class shoots last fall with around 18-20 shooters. I left after scoring, which was around 2:00 p.m. At the June Sniper shoot there were around 30 shooters and I didn't leave until around 4:00 p.m.

More targets is great. But what you could really use is longer berms so more than 3 or 4 people can shoot at a time. Any plans for this?

We would like to extend the berms, but (as with all things) it comes down to money. The club supports sporting clays, trap, skeet, 3-D archery, IDPA , etc. This year we had to buy a new trap machine and that ran us about $5,700. We also had a lot of dirt work done that really needed to get taken care of. Those two projects pretty much killed any other major projects for this year.

We have been discussing speeding things up. We cannot start earlier due to shooting into the sun.

What we came up with yesterday was having more target scorers down range between stages to score and paste. We decided not to paste them yesterday due to time, and heat. This was not the thing to do, as shooters were wanting the data from the marked targets. THE FIX: We decided a minimum of 3 each 2 man scoring teams would help this out.

Next 800 yards. We tryed steel yesterday. We had a 24" and an 18" target, take your choice for 5 points large target or 10 points smaller target. The targets are SS and you could see impact marks at 800 through a good scope. It was fun, but again way to slow. The scorer still had to be down range to score and repaint. What we decided was when shooting at 800 yards we would put up 3 or 4 of the 4' X 4' target frames, and shoot 3 or 4 shooters at one time. Then score and mark them 3 or 4 at a time using 2 scorers. We will need to look at the berm and see what it would take for the 4th shooter on line.

! August Shoot:
Pretty much all the preperations are done for the 1 August Money Shoot. We will probably do a little mowing on the range in the next 2 weeks.

I know the one of the biggest hurdles is there is that rise in the dirt close to the 100 yard berm so you cant see low targets from 200-500 yards. Would it be more effective to just remove that high spot so shooters wouldnt have to wait to shoot off the berms for the F-Class shoot. I understand this will only help the F-class shoot not the sniper match. One of my ideas.

Between the August shoot and halloween shoot things will get back to "Normal".
Ground work will eventually be done for improvements , we have no choice in the matter really. Matches are growing in size and we have to rememdy this. We have come along way already. There is a slight political and voting process, but anything that makes the range a better place is a WIN.
Please if you are a regular shooter at Big Piney, dont hesitate to volunteer to help score and paste, We could use help sometimes as there is only 3-6 of us usually. We do alot of behind the scenes prep work and alot of clean up after.
If we had at least 4 or more extra "official" volunteers That were regular shooters to help DURING matches we could be more efficient.

I know any of the Midway guys are more than willing to help paste and score. Just say the word.

Viper225 and GunRunner: Thanks for your replies. Figured I wasn't telling you anything you didn't already know, but wanted to get it off my chest. Oh the things we could do if money were no object.

I didn't make it to the F-class shoot yesterday. Maybe I'll get down in August or September. Good luck with your money shoot next month. Think I'll sit that one out.

<span style="font-style: italic">I know the one of the biggest hurdles is there is that rise in the dirt close to the 100 yard berm so you cant see low targets from 200-500 yards. Would it be more effective to just remove that high spot so shooters wouldnt have to wait to shoot off the berms for the F-Class shoot.</span>

Removing the rise is the prefered solution. A few years ago we had about four feet removed. We figure another two feet will do it. When we are able to get that done, what we will most likely do is use that dirt to raise the height of the 700 yard berm on the left side

We either need more 223 shooters or I gotta switch to a larger caliber! I was the only 223 there!

Will the targets not be pasted at the money shoot?