• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing MK13 MOD6/300WM MK248 MOD1

Re: MK13 MOD6/300WM MK248 MOD1

Very Nice.
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing special. Just a 1:11 ROT heavy 30 cal contour.

</div></div>
No issues with the 1:11 and the 220 pills? I was wondering if a 1:11.25 would work with the 220s as I have a spare blank getting dusty.

Nice rifle! I love the AX chassis, my old unit had the mod 5 but they seemed to like it alot.

Very cool project. Good to hear there are no pressure signs with MK248 MOD 1 heated to 165, there be ALOT of a certain powder behind those 220s.

Here she is! This is a recent little project for a gent I knew in Iraq. My understanding of this rifle is it's the latest toy for Naval Special Warfare. Allegedly its so new that they don't even have them yet! Stiller makes the actions for it.

No, you can't get one. Not for sale to general public. Least that's what I was told.

My tasking is fitting it and making it behave with the MK248 MOD1 ammo without having to kick the bolt open with your boot. I guess the MK13MOD5 is a bit tempermental.

I tested it and the ammo today at 165*F. No issues! Woo Hoo!

More range time hopefully tomorrow.

Going home!

C.

AAC brake/can mount fitting:

I differed a bit from the supplied print. This way I have two concentric cylinders supporting the inside of the brake. Should help to make the can rock solid during recoil.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

Here's the rifle:

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

Ammunition:

DSC_0030.jpg

Fired cases: One at room temp, the other was heat soaked to 165*F along with the gun, then fired. You can see the primer is flattened a bit more and a faint ejector mark by the "F" on the case rim. Even at this elevated temp it still ran good. I'm optimistic my new chamber revision will squash this problem. (function issues related to the hot load behind a 220 grain bullet)

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

I can't tell from the photo: is the bolt body fluted on this like it is on the TAC300? Some people had problems with the TAC30 flutes binding on AICS magazine feed lips. Any trouble in this system?

No. Feedlips shouldnt touch the bolt anyway. If it does the mag release likley needs attention.

Only way it should hit is if the mag reaches too far into the magwell of the action right?

I love that rifle. It makes me want to do bad things to the steel on the rile range...

No. Feedlips shouldnt touch the bolt anyway. If it does the mag release likley needs attention.

Only way it should hit is if the mag reaches too far into the magwell of the action right?

How do you stop the magazine from reaching too far into the magwell? On these chassis the mag release only controls the downward movement of the magazine, correct? Doesn't the action stop the upward movement of the magazine? You're at the mercy of the magazine shape and the shape of the cutout on the bottom of the action, right?

This is something I (obviously) don't understand well--so if you can explain it, I'd be most grateful. I hear some people running AICS magazines in the TAC30 AW (with the larger cutout). Some have success, and some the magazines hitting the bolt. How can you make sure that the magazine can't travel too far upward?

Yes nice, I just got my Mk13 action as well. Now I need a Nav Spec scope!! ANYBODY, I need a NAV SPEC SCOPE!!! hahaha