• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk18 10.3” 5.56 AR as a SHTF truck gun?

If its compact size actually makes a difference where it will be stored or how it will be used, 10.5s rock. If not, longer guns rock more.

I have several of each. A 14.5” usually rides in the truck. If I know I have to fight I opt for 14.5 or 16 unless it’s indoors. I have used 10.5 but if you have space go longer.

Softer shooting (faster follow up shots), better terminal ballistics, slightly better accuracy, slightly better control of longer weapon.

There are no issues with a properly ported 10.3 with quality ammo. For a 10.3 you would want .070 to run 5.56 suppressed and unsuppressed. The newer DD MK18s are great, reliable uppers with very durable rail systems, the older ones tend to be overgassed quite a bit though. The KAC 11.5 with the MOD 2 gas system is IMO a better, more modern upper, but much more expensive.

Reactions: nn8734
Jesus fucking christ... Are we rolling around Syria with this truck gun? Because I'm pretty sure you aren't. All of these dudes talking about length and attachments and all that shit lol. Unless you're rolling with it loaded and ready to go at your side with the magazine wedged in the space between the seat and center console, your rifle is useless. Even then, it is useless as the driver. Oh, you keep it stored in the console/under the seat/in a bag/in the tool box/in the trunk? Cool. If you ran into the make-believe checkpoint, I'm pretty sure the make-believe enemy will give you time to get it. Or oh, I don't know, you could reverse out/drive through/ram and break contact.

Rolling up to a checkpoint... lol where? on I-10? I-95? HWY90? If you are rolling up to a checkpoint and you're about to get fucked, then your car and a handgun are your saving grace...as the driver. Are you rolling with a buddy on these dangerous third world war-torn highways in the southwest US? Then that's the person with the long gun. Drivers drive. Duh. The most important thing is being able to drive, not if you have a folder/non-folder or 10.5/11.4375" rifle that you built that can do well with suppressed full auto fire despite not running it with a selector or can. If you are running it with a can and select fire lower, are you leaving it in your truck as you go into Golden Corral? If so, what happens if SHTF while in there? NOTE: Shit is more likely to HTF in a Golden Corral than in the middle of I-95 lol.

Those saying that a MK18 isn't reliable have apparently never run one, let alone drove around with one at their side. If you want a compact and reliable AR system, then buy a MK18 pistol (or SBR). But for all that is fucking reality, don't say you need it for protection while driving around North America in case you hit a roadblock and they are trying to kill you. Just be an adult and say you'd like to know what people recommend for a lightweight and compact AR.

You're more likely to die by a dildo in the US than you are from a hit-squad's checkpoint.

Side question, anyone know where I can buy a SHTF dildo?

I used almost exclusively a 11.5. Zero problems and you need as much velocity out of a SBR as you can especially when being stuck using M193/855.

The real question with SBR's isn't the length, its what ammunition you're using. Unless you buy/reload something like the 64g Nosler that isn't dependant on fragmentation, your terminal ballistics threshold is under 100 yards.

Speer Gold Dot and Federal Fusion are both great SBR loads, and not expensive.

Reactions: deersniper
So a guy that wrote an article praising the perfect gun he built? Wonder if the article would have said the exact same thing if the barrel length had been any different. There are 10s of thousands of 10.5" rifles out there, all it takes is porting the barrel correctly for the combination of carrier weight, buffer weight and spring force. Velocity loss at that length is apx 30-40fps/inch. The gas pressure at the carbine length port is exactly the same.
A longer barrel is better in every way from a mechanical perspective. The differences are minor enough that sometimes we trade that mechanical improvement for a shorter gun.
First of all, this argument that an 11.5” is better or more optimal over a 10” is totally shit. Makes zero difference!
I don’t know that it matters with a sample size of one but across a fleet I would expect fewer issues with 11.5s. The M4 is demonstrably more reliable than the Mk18 and the barrel length is the reason.
There are no issues with a properly ported 10.3 with quality ammo. For a 10.3 you would want .070 to run 5.56 suppressed and unsuppressed. The newer DD MK18s are great, reliable uppers with very durable rail systems, the older ones tend to be overgassed quite a bit though. The KAC 11.5 with the MOD 2 gas system is IMO a better, more modern upper, but much more expensive.
Funny thing, the Mod2 gas port is farther out than carbine

Reactions: GrumpierPappy
Jesus fucking christ... Are we rolling around Syria with this truck gun? Because I'm pretty sure you aren't. All of these dudes talking about length and attachments and all that shit lol. Unless you're rolling with it loaded and ready to go at your side with the magazine wedged in the space between the seat and center console, your rifle is useless. Even then, it is useless as the driver. Oh, you keep it stored in the console/under the seat/in a bag/in the tool box/in the trunk? Cool. If you ran into the make-believe checkpoint, I'm pretty sure the make-believe enemy will give you time to get it. Or oh, I don't know, you could reverse out/drive through/ram and break contact.

Rolling up to a checkpoint... lol where? on I-10? I-95? HWY90? If you are rolling up to a checkpoint and you're about to get fucked, then your car and a handgun are your saving grace...as the driver. Are you rolling with a buddy on these dangerous third world war-torn highways in the southwest US? Then that's the person with the long gun. Drivers drive. Duh. The most important thing is being able to drive, not if you have a folder/non-folder or 10.5/11.4375" rifle that you built that can do well with suppressed full auto fire despite not running it with a selector or can. If you are running it with a can and select fire lower, are you leaving it in your truck as you go into Golden Corral? If so, what happens if SHTF while in there? NOTE: Shit is more likely to HTF in a Golden Corral than in the middle of I-95 lol.

Those saying that a MK18 isn't reliable have apparently never run one, let alone drove around with one at their side. If you want a compact and reliable AR system, then buy a MK18 pistol (or SBR). But for all that is fucking reality, don't say you need it for protection while driving around North America in case you hit a roadblock and they are trying to kill you. Just be an adult and say you'd like to know what people recommend for a lightweight and compact AR.

You're more likely to die by a dildo in the US than you are from a hit-squad's checkpoint.

This.

Well written, and landing on all the key points in this entire thread, I might add. This should clear it up for most.

KAC makes one.

It also doubles as a suppressor on my KAC SBR.

This.

Well written, and landing on all the key points in this entire thread, I might add. This should clear it up for most.
Thanks. ...but we know it won’t.

KAC makes one.

It also doubles as a suppressor on my KAC SBR.
Well if it’s a SHTFD from KAC, you know it’s going to be nice but expensive. #BuyOnceCryOnce #EvenWithSHTFDildos #WhenYourAssDeservesTheBest
#WhoWantsToDoASHKACSHTFDGroupBuy?

Like did it have to be self lubricating or something?
I don't know. I keep seeing "what about ____ for SHTF?" and I'm over here like... Ummm what? Combine that with death by roadblock dildo and I'm scared. Like I need to make sure my SHTF Dildo is better than their ambush dildos. Just want to make sure that I remain the alpha in my dildo ambush fantasies ya know?

• Love
Reactions: carbonbased

There may be better dildos out there....but Jesse james seems to be the best for the "experienced operator" looking for proper elasticity training and sound suppression...

bench

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
If you know you’re getting into a gunfight and you still get in a gunfight, you fucked up.

There are plenty of people on this forum who do exactly that as a part of their job description. It doesn’t mean they fucked up. It means the world is fucked up and good men are needed to do do otherwise bad things.

Also, I said fight, not gunfight. Many fights are far more dynamic than “gunfight”. It may start as a conversation, lead to physical altercation, escalate to one guy pulling a knife and the other his gun.

A longer barrel is better in every way from a mechanical perspective. The differences are minor enough that sometimes we trade that mechanical improvement for a shorter gun.

I don’t know that it matters with a sample size of one but across a fleet I would expect fewer issues with 11.5s. The M4 is demonstrably more reliable than the Mk18 and the barrel length is the reason.

How long have you been a gunsmith?
Engineer?
Ever used a MK18 or any 10.3-10.5" barrel?
Do you think you know more than the Navy?
You know which companies made the Mk18 right, think you know more than they do?
90% of the problems are related to operator or builder error. The Mk18 was tested with full power military ammo (58-62000psi). You can't expect to drop 223 ammo from wally world that makes 48000 psi into one and it cycle correctly. Many of the mk18 barrel clones have the wrong gas pot size in them. The buffer and spring combo must be correct for the size of the gas port.

Last edited:

Yes, and? The KAC gas system is literally why I said it was a better option.
And do you have any actual reliability figures from Crane for malfunctions on CQBRs vs 14.5 guns? Because you are out here acting like they're jam factories.

How long have you been a gunsmith?
Engineer?
Ever used a MK18 or any 10.3-10.5" barrel?
Do you think you know more than the Navy?
You know which companies made the Mk18 right, think you know more than they do?
90% of the problems are related to operator or builder error. The Mk18 was tested with full power military ammo (58-62000psi). You can't expect to drop 223 ammo from wally world that makes 48000 psi into one and it cycle correctly. Many of the mk18 barrel clones have the wrong gas pot size in them. The buffer and spring combo must be correct for the size of the gas port.

I’ve worked in the industry before, but I’m neither engineer nor gunsmith. And it’s not about knowing more or less than the Navy.

You pick the size gun you want and you accept that shorter guns have more reliability issues and shorter component lives. The delta grows as parts wear. For instance you should be well aware that shorter distance from the chamber and larger gas ports both increase gas port erosion, leading to overgassing as you near the end of life and causing other failures. Crane published data on the ROF of heavily used Mk18s, it’s 300rpm faster than new. That’s one of several reasons for the O ring extractor spring buffer, which isn’t needed on an M16.

If you’re going to tell me with a straight face that a Mk18 is as reliable as a 14.5 or 16 or 20” gun I’m going to laugh at you. The longer the gas system and barrel are the more reliable the guns are. That doesn’t mean SBRs aren’t useful, right now my only 5.56 AR is an 11.5 with a slightly longer than carbine gas system. But I don’t expect it to have the same service life and reliability that the same model in 16” would have. I’m happy with the trade I made for the size.

Reactions: ddavis
Yes, and? The KAC gas system is literally why I said it was a better option.
And do you have any actual reliability figures from Crane for malfunctions on CQBRs vs 14.5 guns? Because you are out here acting like they're jam factories.

I used to have the PDFs but that’s all gone now. They aren’t so much unreliable as they are short lived. Barrel and bolt life are shorter and the guns have to be rebuilt sooner. If you accept that and rebuild them, it’s a line item In a budget. If you want to pretend it lasts as long as an M16, well you’re going to have a bad experience.

Reactions: cherokeefan03
This shit going down is highly regional. The stories I’ve heard from remote parts of Maricopa and Pinal counties in Arizona, or remote parts of Washington states Okanogan highlands, makes city life seem tame.

I used to have the PDFs but that’s all gone now. They aren’t so much unreliable as they are short lived. Barrel and bolt life are shorter and the guns have to be rebuilt sooner. If you accept that and rebuild them, it’s a line item In a budget. If you want to pretend it lasts as long as an M16, well you’re going to have a bad experience.

I understand that part and agree, I mean govt MK18s are usually dead in 6500 rounds suppressed. That is also to NSWC barrel and gas port specs, which obviously many AR builders don't follow. I would also be surprised that a person using it as a "truck gun" in case of "leftist political violence" would put more than a thousand through it anyways though.

I’ve worked in the industry before, but I’m neither engineer nor gunsmith. And it’s not about knowing more or less than the Navy.

You pick the size gun you want and you accept that shorter guns have more reliability issues and shorter component lives. The delta grows as parts wear. For instance you should be well aware that shorter distance from the chamber and larger gas ports both increase gas port erosion, leading to overgassing as you near the end of life and causing other failures. Crane published data on the ROF of heavily used Mk18s, it’s 300rpm faster than new. That’s one of several reasons for the O ring extractor spring buffer, which isn’t needed on an M16.

If you’re going to tell me with a straight face that a Mk18 is as reliable as a 14.5 or 16 or 20” gun I’m going to laugh at you. The longer the gas system and barrel are the more reliable the guns are. That doesn’t mean SBRs aren’t useful, right now my only 5.56 AR is an 11.5 with a slightly longer than carbine gas system. But I don’t expect it to have the same service life and reliability that the same model in 16” would have. I’m happy with the trade I made for the size.
I'm both and still in the industry, smith since 81, worked as an engineer for apx 24 years. Both the 10.5 and 11.5 use carbine gas systems where the ports are in the same location and will erode at the same rate. 1" isn't going to make a damn bit of difference in reliability. Any REAL builder that knows how ARs work can figure out how to build the rifle and tune it to be reliable.
I'm not getting into the SHTF or the OPs reason, he asked a question and I'm answering HIS question. If he wants a 10.5 he can build or buy one and as long as built correctly and similar ammo is used it will run fine.
It's ok if your laughing since I have been at some of your posts for the last week.

Couldn’t you solve for some of usual the sbr issues (bolt speed, pressure when suppressed, etc) with an adjustable gas block, heavy buffer and good charging handle? My DD mk18 mod 1 has these and it runs fine. Admittedly, i don’t run it like someone in the .mil/SOCOM would (not even close) but when I do use it, it runs issue-free.

You port your 10.5 and 11.5 guns the same?
It depends on what the customer is doing. Suppessed only, not suppressed or both. Which buffer, which spring, M16 carrier or low mass. Everything makes a difference. Strictly mil spec ammo or a mix. .002-.003" in port size makes little difference .010" can make a big difference. Brands of cans make a difference, my Surefires create very little back pressure others made for bolt guns create a huge amount of back pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evolution 9
Couldn’t you solve for some of usual the sbr issues (bolt speed, pressure when suppressed, etc) with an adjustable gas block, heavy buffer and good charging handle? My DD mk18 mod 1 has these and it runs fine. Admittedly, i don’t run it like someone in the .mil/SOCOM would (not even close) but when I do use it, it runs issue-free.

You shouldn't need anything past a heavier buffer and appropriate gas port, but those additional things can help.

You shouldn't need anything past a heavier buffer and appropriate gas port, but those additional things can help.

agreed. In my case already had the gas block and buffer so just installed the barrel and hand guard when they arrived. If I didn’t, I would have bushed the port since it’s going to be ran suppressed all the time once the stupid tax stamp comes.

It depends on what the customer is doing. Suppessed only, not suppressed or both. Which buffer, which spring, M16 carrier or low mass. Everything makes a difference. Strictly mil spec ammo or a mix. .002-.003" makes little difference .010" can make a big difference.

And that’s why however slight the 11.5 has an edge on the 10.5. You’d need a fleet to see a difference. That’s all I said.

I like my 9mm suppressed ar, I’m running a spikes lower with a Gibbs side charging upper, 5.5 in barrel with a suppressor that’s just over 7 in, and I don’t have to worry about any gas system

The difference in dwell time betwen a 10.5 and 11.5" barrel is .0000625 seconds. Mathematically the difference in port size should be .0016" or a thou and a half if all things are equal.

Reactions: FishinGuns
There are plenty of people on this forum who do exactly that as a part of their job description. It doesn’t mean they fucked up. It means the world is fucked up and good men are needed to do do otherwise bad things.

Also, I said fight, not gunfight. Many fights are far more dynamic than “gunfight”. It may start as a conversation, lead to physical altercation, escalate to one guy pulling a knife and the other his gun.

Typically, people with that kind of job description are issued weapons. So I’d call that “another day in the office” not SHTF. Some folks get ergonomic keyboards and standing desks; other folks get M4’s and PPE. It just gets weird when the former starts thinking they’re the latter.

And do you typically carry an SBR to the grocery store just in case Karen thinks you parked to close to her Pacifica?

I try not to throw credentials and experience around but I am one of those that has been issued a variety of weapons and also carried and used my own on duty. And yes, I keep an AR in the truck to be prepared for a variety of potential needs.

I’ve used guns on duty and off, and the idea that citizens are somehow immune from the dangers that require law enforcement to possess special weapons is quite silly.

I don't know. I keep seeing "what about ____ for SHTF?" and I'm over here like... Ummm what? Combine that with death by roadblock dildo and I'm scared. Like I need to make sure my SHTF Dildo is better than their ambush dildos. Just want to make sure that I remain the alpha in my dildo ambush fantasies ya know?

The Barrett MRAD has a self lubricating bolt sleeve. It's basically a long plastic dildo with a hole in the middle.

Just saying.

do you typically carry an SBR to the grocery store just in case Karen thinks you parked to close to her Pacifica?
That an much more, to be sure I have all the tools I need to get home even if I have to walk, no matter where from.

Many on this board will understand the following, however many who think help is but a push button away do not understand that long weak chain involved. No matter if it's a cell, Onstar, or whatever. You are "your" best savior, don't rely on other to bail you out of your own stupidity by not reading events or per pairing properly prior to.

Long life short, I've set in traffic for 2-3hrs an had to water an feed Kids of/whose parents think the sky will always be blue an Murphy is but a saying. I've been in Montana in late spring an early fall, an had to bail none NW people out who were stupidly traveling w/o the tools to survive if their ride goes tits up or the weather rapidly changes.
The amount of stupid on this rock compounds all the time. Everyone thinks it will never happen to them until it does then they have no clue what to do or tools to do it with an everyone else owes them. One time on a hot day in Ky I thought I was going to have to kill a guy over water, long short, traffic was stopped for over 2 hrs. I opened the back of the truck to get to the cooler( big mistake) all the people around seen it an came running. I had watered all the kids an was starting on the woman, when this huge white trash asshole demanded water for his bitch, who was setting in a running car with the A/C on. When I said no, it went down hill from there rather quickly. Once convinced he could/would die over a bottle of water he wised up.

I'm still amassed to this day, that people think,...Trouble Will Call For An Appointment. I don't carry shit to save others, yes I will help out but,... there comes a point were it gets cut off for one reason or the other. Taking kindness for weakness is making a mistake,...an not having the tools needed to get home with you, is beyond stupid to me.

I was raised by people who never ask of others, an gave of their self's,... that in today's world is almost completely reversed. The FSA thinks everyone owes them what they want. This country has breed this kind of stupid an those that don't adhere to it, have to deal with it one way or the other when the time comes, that help is not always a push button or voice prompt away.

Yes everyone is going to need help at some point, but many now think it's owed them, just because they are breathing,...

I'm both and still in the industry, smith since 81, worked as an engineer for apx 24 years. Both the 10.5 and 11.5 use carbine gas systems where the ports are in the same location and will erode at the same rate. 1" isn't going to make a damn bit of difference in reliability. Any REAL builder that knows how ARs work can figure out how to build the rifle and tune it to be reliable.
I'm not getting into the SHTF or the OPs reason, he asked a question and I'm answering HIS question. If he wants a 10.5 he can build or buy one and as long as built correctly and similar ammo is used it will run fine.
It's ok if your laughing since I have been at some of your posts for the last week.
More to this post than some understand.
I built my own 10.5" pistols an the barrels came with the std .072 gas holes for 5.56. I run .223 mid range ammo an had to open the holes just to get them to run in semi. Thinking I was done I put the uppers on my 16 lower an they failed to run properly. Had to open the holes just a little more an they ran fine, in both semi an full there after.

Reactions: Docsherm
More to this post than some understand.
I built my own 10.5" pistols an the barrels came with the std .072 gas holes for 5.56. I run .223 mid range ammo an had to open the holes just to get them to run in semi. Thinking I was done I put the uppers on my 16 lower an they failed to run properly. Had to open the holes just a little more an they ran fine, in both semi an full there after.
Exactly, that is the way to do it on a personal build. There is no way possible a company can produce 100s of barrels for the general public and have the perfect size gas port for everyone. They make a decision that should work for most and that usually means a little over sized. The best way is probably port them to a minimum size and let the builder tune it to their build if they know how. Half the "builders" out there don't even understand they should seal any gas leaks. Many read stuff on the internet and think they should slap a H2 buffer and SSS spring in there before they shoot the thing the first time.
The way I do things I can port the barrels any size the customer wants all they have to do is let me know.
There are always things to consider in how you want to build the rifle. If it is a duty rifle do you want to run a H2 buffer and SSS or Tactical Springs "red" and then port it to run so when the rifle gets hot, dirty and dry it still runs or if a 3gun rifle should it be set up with a low mass carrier, light buffer, spring and shoot low power/light bullet 223 ammo to reduce movement/recoil?

The real question with SBR's isn't the length, its what ammunition you're using. Unless you buy/reload something like the 64g Nosler that isn't dependant on fragmentation, your terminal ballistics threshold is under 100 yards.

I can't believe no one picked up on this. I agree with TheGerman completely and think the 64g Nosler bonded would really shine in this application. I know, you can run easy to frag bullets like ballistic tips to offset the degradation in ballistics, but for sure these SBR or braced guns with short barrels have a limited range. I suppose one could also make the argument that if a "threat" is over 100 yards away, they are not really a threat......especially these Antifa jerks. They tend to only be a threat in large numbers and up close and personal where a weapon like this really shines. I might be inclined to argue it would shine even more in a 9" 300 blackout loaded with 110 grain ballistic tips. I suppose its fun to think about, but I sure hope the day does not come where I actually wish I had one.

It just gets weird when the former starts thinking they’re the latter.

Yup. If reality reflected what’s posted one social media and what is said in bars, no one would ever get paid or have any working equipment because it turns out that everyone was a big dick swinging trigger pulling operator ninja cag sniper seal viking hitter of the pipes.

I have both an LMT mk18 style upper and an 11.5" KAC upper. The 11.5 seems to shoot a little smoother but that's because it has a muzzle brake on it. The mk18 upper has been intentionally shot dry and dirty and it's almost at 1000 rounds (840) so far without hiccups. H3 buffer btw. I love them.

I think a yugo pap 92 in 7.62×39 with a side folder triangle brace and open sights with a few 30 round mags would make a lot more sense for something you store in a vehicle for "emergencies" I was wishing I had more fire power than my 9mm glock when I witnessed a gang banger pull over on an off ramp to confront a guy ahead of me for riding his ass while going 45mph in a 70mph zone. Banger pulled a pistol and was walking towards the pickup ahead of me at red light on exit ramp. I saw what was happening and pushed the pickup through the intersection with my vehicle and got the he'll out of there. The pickup pulled up next to me at the next light and thanked me since he didn't see that the gangbanger had gotten out with pistol in hand. This happened at noon on a Sunday in Bloomington MN off 106th st and highway 35w, a year ago. Shit can happen in a hurry when you least expect it. A pistol+brace+carry permit gives you better options in your vehicle as opposed to a rifle.

Last edited:
I think a yugo pap 92 in 7.62×39 with a side folder triangle brace and open sights with a few 30 round mags would make a lot more sense for something you store in a vehicle for "emergencies" I was wishing I had more fire power than my 9mm glock when I witnessed a gang banger pull over on an off ramp to confront a guy ahead of me for riding his ass while going 45mph in a 70mph zone. Banger pulled a pistol and was walking towards the pickup ahead of me at red light on exit ramp. I saw what was happening and pushed the pickup through the intersection with my vehicle and got the he'll out of there. The pickup pulled up next to me at the next light and thanked me since he didn't see that the gangbanger had gotten out with pistol in hand. This happened at noon on a Sunday in Bloomington MN off 106th st and highway 35w, a year ago. Shit can happen in a hurry when you least expect it. A pistol+brace+carry permit gives you better options in your vehicle as opposed to a rifle.

Ive always wanted to try a VZ58 compact but dont want to have to get into 7.62x39