• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report MK319 Mod 0 Report and Stupid Question

Infidel45

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2014
Bristol, VA
Was out at friends place this weekend with a bunch of competitive shooters and an AD military sniper. Friend has steel from 10 out to 1125 yds. I recently picked up some of this ammo (Federal MK319 Mod 0 130 grain OTM 7.62x51) the military is now using in some circles. Supposed to be a "barrier" round made for the 14" SCAR platform. Reports i have read indicate ~3000 fps from a 20" barrel expected with this ammo.

We did not have a chrono running but here is what i can report;

Altitude: 2250 ASL
Temp: 81 and dropping (late afternoon)
RH: 77%
Wind: Dead Calm

I was shooting my AAC-SD .308 which has the 20" heavy barrel sitting in an XLR Element chassis. Before loading the MK319 I had to hold 7.6 mils (H58 reticle) to hit a 12" gong at 750 yds with 178 AMAX and 8 mils with 175 FGMM. I switched to the MK319 and my hold dropped to 6.5 Mils for same target/same atmospherics.

So these rounds were indeed cooking. Accuracy was very good (unscientifically speaking)..was able to hit 2 spray paint cans at 750 with it using same dope and a barrel that was heating up after 3 mags.

Tested again at 820. Hold with 178 AMAX was 8.4 Mils. MK319 hold was 7.3 Mils. Same target (24" square steel)-hits with both ammo within MOA.

Next morning was a little less humid and winds variable 5-10 from 3-4 oclock at position and swirling at 750 across the small valley. Used same elevation hold (6.5 Mils) and added in .5 mils of right windage and nailed a 20oz water bottle after confirming the dope on steel.

Stupid Question time: does any other commercially available .308 ammo have this kind of velocity/ballistics with an OTM bullet? If not, then why? I didnt think my 10 twist barrel would work well with this ammo but it seemed to work fine for rounds made for a SBR gasser.

Anyone have more ballistic info on this round?

Have not played with the light stuff much myself for long range. I have had very good luck with the 155 class bullets, but I always wind up back with the heavies.

Your 10 twist is an excellent barrel. 10 twists have always done well for me, light and heavy bullets.

I have had good experiences with light bullets for hunting out of the 308. Does a number on deer size game, but for longer shots I have always noticed the wind starts to bother me much faster with those 125/130 class projectiles.