• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

MOD 1 upper OR del-ton?

cjmac1988

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
Ok its buy time . Wanting a flat top 20" upper , but can only afford one of these. ...MOD 1 or DEL-TON. Soooooo . Whats the better quality?

Talk to Kevin at high caliber sales, he will take great care of you and so will any rifle they build you. My mod 1 has been nothing but impressive.

If you want one sooner than later I'd go with Delton. Model 1 last I checked was still 8 months out on orders. Check JSEsurplus.com. I own a delton and have no issues with it.

I VOTE NONE OF THE ABOVE...THEY BOTH SUCK!! ;)

What specifically (beyond 20" flattop) are you looking for in terms of features/options/performance/etc. and what's your total budget?

Likely, there are better options out there that will get into your budget that will be vastly better than both Del-ton and M1S.

Looking for a flat top 20" with a2 hand guards . At least a 1 in 9 twist. Ill go with a 18" if it was a 1 in 7 twist . Most i can spend now is about 400 - 450

There is not a thing wrong with DelTon barrels. They are made by Wilson, which makes most of the barrels everyone raves about. But there are better options for BCG and receivers. Do you have any friends near that can assist with tools and pointers to build one? Honestly, without a few good deals or some used parts, you will be hard pressed to obtain a quality upper for less than about $500 to $600.

Wilson BCG is on sale for $98, $120 for an upper, $20 for a CH, gas system $40, Barrel $200...that is $480 with no HG. You might was well look at something like a Nordic FFT HG ($90) as it is only a few bucks more than a barrel nut and A2 guards. Just don't go cheap on the barrel, barrel nut or bolt. The other stuff you can skimp on a tad, but in the end, unless zombies are attacking tonight, skip a few burgers and get good parts.

Looking for a flat top 20" with a2 hand guards . At least a 1 in 9 twist. Ill go with a 18" if it was a 1 in 7 twist . Most i can spend now is about 400 - 450

$400-450 won't get you much of anything in terms of quality, reliability, and accuracy. At that price point, you are stuck with bargain basement options like those you are already considering.

For just a pinch more (~$500-550), you can get into vastly better quality with options like RRA, Armalite, etc. and other like "commercial grade" uppers. RRA Standard 20" uppers are available right now for $513 + S&H from one source I know of off hand and $519.95 shipped from another (perhaps elsewhere too but in that range), and Armalite has a metric ton of 20" A4 uppers in stock and ready to roll out the door for $550.

As to MarkCO's comments...I have posted issues with Del-ton barrels and products in very recent past re: problems/quality/etc. I'm not going to rehash everything here, but long story short...you may or may NOT actually get a Wilson bbl from Del-ton as they have been open about moving SOME to Mossberg barrels, especially on their (cough, cough) lower end models (i.e. - THE 20" YOU ARE LOOKING AT). Furthermore, the fit/finish/quality of the work done on the blanks (regardless of who made the blanks) is less than stellar in my experience. They are "cheap" for a reason. If you want quality...YOU PAY FOR IT!! ;) If all you want this upper to do is put rounds downrange...the M1S and Del-ton options will do that, but they won't be doing it with any meaningful quality or accuracy in mind, at least not for the budget options you are considering now.

Knowing what you have in mind for the upper in question and the end goals you have with it might help this discussion along.

I would definitely not get stingy over a few hundred dollars. If you gotta wait a bit longer to get it, than wait. It will be worth it in the long run.