• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Modifying fiberglass "USGI" stock... Fun fun...

jrhan762

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
After putting much work into modifying and repairing a beat-up USGI walnut stock, I realized sinking QD sling sockets in the side might be a bad idea. It was suggested I get a fiberglass model, and I found one on Gunbroker for a decent price. Although I've come to question the claim of "USGI," I've decided to work with it anyway. I discovered it had A LOT of paint on it... So much so, that the only part that fit was the butt plate - even the trigger group wouldn't fully seat. After 2 nights of stripping with very little progress, I started sanding. I had it about 70% cleaned off, when I notice a shiny, reddish-brown bit underneath some of the paint... Gel coat. Didn't even know it would have it, I thought it was for boats! So now that I've removed most of it, is it going to be an issue? My plan for the surface was to sand it smooth and give it a really good base paint job, and seal it with a couple coats of matte laquer. Is that going to be enough, or is the gel-coat necesary? I'm looking at a substantial investment in regards to reinforcement and fill, so I'd like to save money and effort wherever I can!