• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mossberg 151M-B what to do?

m1k3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
San Angelo, TX
Not sure if this belongs here or in the gunsmith forum but here it goes:

I've recently received a Mossberg 151M-B in fairly rough shape. I've already replaced a broken firing pin and main spring and now its shooting nicely. My question concerns the rifle's value? Is it better to leave it as-is or would refinishing it hurt any value? I was planning on using it a learning experience on the stock (needs crack repair, dent removal, and possible sand and re-stain) and the metal was going to get a nice clean layer of GunKote in Satin Black.
The original finish is just about gone around the mid point of the barrel and around the bolt. A lot of tool marks around the screws (probably from wrong screwdriver). I like the gun, its different looking, but other from that, I have nothing invested in it.

What would you guys do?
P1040723.JPG

P1040726.JPG

P1040732.JPG

P1040737.JPG

Re: Mossberg 151M-B what to do?

I wouldn't worry too much about the value. I just purchased the same rifle not too long ago in great shape for about $200. I'd probably just refinish the whole thing.

I don't think these are particularly rare or collectable. Unless it is an heirloom I would do what I wanted with refinishing.

Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've only seen them for $125-$200 but those looked in far better condition than this one.

Maybe I could get $100 for it now, I figure its worth more than $100 as good learning experience. Perhaps when I'm done, it will be worth $101.
smile.gif
I post another thread when I get started to keep track of the transformation.

Thanks!

Mike

When you decide to sell it let me know. I can drive down and pick it up. It'll look good next to my 144LSB.

I recently fixed up a 46m(B)

I started by stripping the stock and giving it a light sanding, Then gave it an Ironing with a damp cloth to pull out some of the dents and proceed to finish it with some Boiled linseed oil.

Luckily the blueing was still in very good condition and the bore was clean.

These are great rifles and usually shoot pretty good.

040-2.jpg

That looks very nice Teo74. I'm going to try to get the surface as smooth and clean as possible. Going to reshape the back to blend in with the recoil pad. Just little stuff like that. I'm still debating on the color of the stock. I may try a colored stain. I did a black stain on the wood of a Mossberg 500 while the metal was all done in Flat Dark Earth Cerakote. Looked fantastic all together. I started the disassembly last night and have pics but just haven't gotten time to post them.

Looks great guys, thanks for the examples!

Mike