• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Most Rugged/ Good Looking/ Dual Use CHASSIS?!

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
Hey fellas, I think I have asked something similar to this a while ago.... But I am looking for your opinions on a Chassis system that works well in hunting scenarios as well as the range. I really like pistol grips and the XLR chassis is tempting. But I am confident that a rock solid Manners T4 or McMillian stock will never fail me.
I am just looking for that extra BAD@$$ factor that traditional looking stocks do not provide. It cannot be too heavy since it will be my do all rifle for some time.
Likely either a 20" heavy profile 308
Or
22" 30-06 with a heavy profile since this build is off a long action.

Just throw up some pictures or your thoughts on any chassis that you have used hunting in the Colorado mountains or on deer out on the plains and foothills..
thanks guys ;)

Opinions vary but it is very difficult to make a rifle an incredible hunting rifle as well as an equally incredible precision target or competition rifle. Too many trade offs trying to please both disciplines. It is doable but the end result may be a rifle which can be used for both but is exceptional at neither.

maybe the new XLR carbon...I have a PCR trued AAC-sd in a XLR and the thing is pretty heavy .. out in the hills in a gun runner pack and you defiantly feel it when I get some more cash I want to make a light weight 308 rifle

I would echo the first reply. My brother and i just finished hunting last week with a 20" LTR and a 20" SPS. 10.5 lbs with optics unloaded. Felt like a lot at the end of a long day hiking/hunting using a sling. Only used thes as I didn't get a scope for my new (to me) lightweight '06. Don't want to hammer 6-10 miles a day again with a rifle that heavy or 15lbs like my other one
I understand people do it with heavier rigs, but Colorado hunting is about moving a lot a shooting a little (once right?).
I setup my '06 used on here for under $500 with some patience and it runs around 1.2 MOA using Walmart ammo and a 1-4x scope off an AR just to try it out. Not precision but angle of elk for sure.

maybe the new XLR carbon...I have a PCR trued AAC-sd in a XLR and the thing is pretty heavy .. out in the hills in a gun runner pack and you defiantly feel it when I get some more cash I want to make a light weight 308 rifle
That's a bummer. I've been really thinking about the xlr carbon. Its a pain trying to find a stock/chassis that meets both needs. It seems to be either one or the other. Unfortunately, this will probably be my only build for a while so I'm trying to cover it all as best I can in one shot