• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

86612910.jpg

A couple years ago there was a story of a house fire in the Cincinnati. The temperature was down around zero and the water was freezing from the fire hoses.
Cause of the fire?...... Dumb ass had a frozen gas line on his car. So he put some gas in a pot on the stove to warm it up. He thought that the warm gas would thaw the frozen gas line. Ummmm the Darwin used a gas stove to heat up the gas. The article never said what happened to the car.
I wouldn't go that far. But we make sure to leave at least a half tank or more of fuel in the vehicles when it's this cold.

My great uncle (mother’s uncle) used to tell her that when they first had trucks and cars show up in ND Or Minneapolis they had to put down hay under the tires because they would freeze to the ground and tear apart.
He was prob born in the teens, younger than my grandfather who was 1912 I think

Back then this country was full of tough people willing to put up with tough conditions. Now it’s full of pussies that whine when when they have to leave 70 degree building. I enjoy being outside in the cold less people out hunting. Just have to know how to dress. -30s does make you pay attention

My great uncle (mother’s uncle) used to tell her that when they first had trucks and cars show up in ND Or Minneapolis they had to put down hay under the tires because they would freeze to the ground and tear apart.
He was prob born in the teens, younger than my grandfather who was 1912 I think

The "fragility" of tires was a main concern in early auto days. I dont think they were exaggerating.

If you were going to run a car back than you had to know how to put a tire on a rim and than have the tools and access to air to make it happen.

My Step Dad told me of his Dad doing his own head gaskets on a trip because shit like head gasket blow outs happened and unless you wanted to be stranded you did what had to be done.

And that's one of the many reasons I don't live in WI.

Give me 90° sunny, and dusty.
You can get that in WI too in late summer. Just have to get over the mental aspect of it and and get on with life. Dress for it and enjoy. Three hour snowshoe hike in central WI for me yesterday.. around -7F. Merino base layer, bibs, and wool sweater was perfect.

IMG_20210207_110148_01.jpg

That sounds like fun but that's not how the order of succession works. It was designed to prevent just such a scenario, to prevent someone farther down the ladder from "eliminating" everyone above them. The Speaker would only be "Acting President" until delegates from the 50 states elected a new President, who would then nominate a Vice President to be confirmed by the Senate.
You ruining my vision. Don’t let reality ruin my fun.

Are you referring to the drag coefficient of the wing?
Yeah, basically the whole big diatribe about how the wing isn't, and can't possibly be because no one can do it, a laminar flow wing. The real genius of the wing is that the camber of the upper surface was moved rearward and the leading edge was brought to a sharper point. A lot like VLD and ULD bullets. And, the numbers he uses are for the P-51A at sea level vs. the P-51D. The -B/C were faster on less horsepower, true. But, they only had four wing mounted .50's not six. And, the -D could carry more weight.

Another thing, he constantly references the P47M. He uses it as one of his comparisons to the Ta-152-H. One, it never fought over continental Europe. And two, (he only references it once) there were only 130 built. His end conclusion is only partially correct that it was the P-47 that gave us air supremacy, not the P-51. Yes, the P-47 was probably THE major contributor, but due to it's limitations, and the pilots flying it (read: training biggest limitation) it wasn't as effective in the air as the P-51.

He goes off on other things too, like fighters being used in the ground attack role. They were actually stupendous in this role. specifically the P-47. The 20mm cannon, may be better individually than the .50 cal. But, due to construction and speed of the aircraft of that time, the .50 cal was more than adequate. 1900 rounds of .50 that will do the job is better than 236 rounds of 20mm, that will do the job but gives no aiming advantage. Not much of a comparison considering you have to cross back hours of hostile air space to get home. And, the list goes on. He uses a lot of charts to try and make comparisons. Charts that he says were pulled from manuals. Training in the USA and surviving over fortress Europe are two very different things.

My biggest pet peeve? "The greatest combat aircraft off WWII" The PBY Catalina. Yes, it was a well used and versatile aircraft. But, it wasn't exactly a "combat" aircraft. It didn't survive combat very well at all. And the single biggest issue to me? He never mentions Van Voorhis. Maybe he ought to look that up and put it on a chart somwhere's...

Hint: https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=323355

Last edited:
-11 here at fort carson. Fuck that shit. I thought I would never see negative degrees again after I left fort drum. Coldest up there was -42 degrees in FRB of 2011.

Doc
-9 in Kansas this morning with -31 wind chill. Supposed to hit -13 or something stupid tonight. Longest stretch of sub freezing temps here since the 1980s. What a time to be in the HVAC business.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Back then this country was full of tough people willing to put up with tough conditions. Now it’s full of pussies that whine when when they have to leave 70 degree building. I enjoy being outside in the cold less people out hunting. Just have to know how to dress. -30s does make you pay attention
Your theory is flawed. I spend every cold day of my life tending to the welfare of my livestock. In fact I spent 18 months of my life riding pens in a feedyard while waiting on my wife to finish her degree. I know how to dress warm. For me it isn't so much the cold as it is the layers of clothes. Mind you I am 2 percent body fat naturally. Skinny guys get colder than fat guys. I hate the cold because of the clothes I have to wear. Also oil and grease are nearly un cooperative. In fact mechanicing is a bitch. I often wonder if I should have just managed a tiki bar on a tropical island. I have always hunted, but prefer to just go out target shooting on a pretty day. Since I am fortunate to live in the outdoors all the time, I don't need to go hunting like urban people do. I get it......it's their only escape. But......as I get older, I dislike the cold more and more.

Screenshot_20210215-054544_Radar X.jpg Dropped to -37 around 630
This is interesting, the whole time you guys are dropping to HUGE negative numbers, I'm about 250 miles north of you as the crow flies and were were only at -4 F this morning. The big lake tempers our cold tremendously. A lot of snow since the 5th of Feb. Something like 60".

Reactions: Barneybdb