• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mount a scope upside down???

randy geneske

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2012
Watching TV the other night and noticed a scope mounted upside down. Show was called Flashpoint, a weekly drama about a SRU (strategic response unit) that deals with hostage type situations... First caught my eye when I noticed the reticle ilum. knob underneath, and then saw the top of the scope had no el. turret, but it was under as well. Was this just a goof by someone who put the "stage kit" together, or is that ever actually done? Thinking el. knob may not snag on case/whatever, and with tall enough rings you could still see the el. turret by looking down under? Little tough to make adjustments, but if the lettering was redone? I do know they mount them on backwards by mistake but this is the first time I've seen upside down.

I would be willing to bet some moron did that by accident.

I have seen a lot of people some very strange/dumb things, even do things I thought would be impossible. Mounting the scope upside down does not surprise me.

Lol, that doesn't surprise me. I was watching a show the other day, don't remember what it was called but it had a guy with his eye against the scope and my wife says "that's gonna hurt". I was proud of her for noticing :)

I have personally straightened the scope of a friend where the elevation turret seemed laterally mounted, with the side/reg.turret straight upward,of course_ after learning that his ending goal was shootin' the woodpecker that was menacing his vacation-country-home's wooden-framed windows, I have regretted to helping it, but I'm quite confident that the woodpecker could be alive and kickin'even now, notwithstanding his flak efforts_

Lol, that doesn't surprise me. I was watching a show the other day, don't remember what it was called but it had a guy with his eye against the scope and my wife says "that's gonna hurt". I was proud of her for noticing :)

LOL! But the guy in the show knew he was firing blanks, therefore it was ok....

That and a few other shows are notorious for having stuff mounted wrong. Who ever their tech advisor/weapons wrangler is needs to be fired.

Increasingly, a lot of productions, especially network TV, won't pay for an on-set tactical advisor and instead rely on the armorer. Unfortunately, he's primarily focused on safety and keeping actors and production folks from messing around with the weapons (which they invariably do). And there are also directors and 2nd unit directors who have a habit of ignoring the advice of the tactical advisor.

On the few times I've filled in as an on-set or post-production military advisor, my advice has been taking 100%, completely ignored, or I've been argued back. The latter got me pretty heated to the point where I had to take a second and ask "wait, why are you arguing with me over my answer? you're the one who asked me a question?"

Last edited:
Lol that doesn't surprise me with some of the stuff movies put out. I saw a shootout movie the other day, where he shook the shotgun as if it were recoiling, and it didn't make a flash or sound and the bad guy still fell down. I yelled out loud at that one, couldn't believe it. As far as mounting that way on purpose, I can't think of a reason why they would possibly do that. I've put guy's scopes on rotated 180 so the windage knob was on top of the scope just to make em laugh in the store, but I always mounted them good and proper before they walk out the door.

Last edited:
The movie Walking Tall just went off a little bit ago and I had never noticed before but at the end of the movie when the Rock and the girl are in the shoot out and she runs out of bullets in her glock(?) she can keeps pulling the trigger and getting a dry fire over and over.

That's a story point, common in movies and TV. It's why you hear an audible click each time she tries it. It's also the reason why you see big flashes coming out of flash suppressors; they're trying to convey an action to the audience. I can't fault them too much for that but the reality is that it becomes a feedback loop to a degree, with new productions thinking "we have add big flashes from these guns because that's what people expect, regardless of whether it's reality."

I cant remember who, but someone's booth at shot show had a Eotech on a Ar for a printed banner. The Eotech was on backwards. I know it was near the Geissele booth because I noticed it while waiting in line for the Noveske memorial trigger.

Most actors/actress don't need much help in looking like asses. I remember in the 2nd season of the unit where they had a loopy mk4 backwards with a sweet gangsta hollywood reticle. Think that was the last episode i watched of the unit. 24 was usually pretty good, don't remember too many gun screw ups over7 or8 seasons, but didn't watch it religiously . I have never been around a full auto but they don't repeatedly click when ran dry, saw that in a bunch of movies and tv.

You shouldn't be surprised by the firearm ignorance on a show like 'Flashpoint.' The show's purpose is not to entertain gun aficionados, but to contribute to the left's demonization of Canadian firearm owners.

Why do any of you care about what happens in TV or Movies? There's nothing to be gained in the way of shooting skill or tactics. Shooters in real life don't have guardian angels called script writers to cause adversaries to all be stupid and inept. What you can learn from watching action movies is how to end up in prison or dead.

Can't be on the range or reloading room all the time. Besides those are better than glee or modern family i reckon.

Can't be on the range or reloading room all the time. Besides those are better than glee or modern family i reckon.

Why not? I have no idea what "Glee" or "Modern Family" are and I'm sure I don't want to know. My idea of entertainment is when I'm learning something which has a possibility of improving my life. Watching actors doing impossible things in improbable situations doesn't qualify. I don't find it enjoyable, just a waste of time.

Cool u like the discovery channel and history channel. My point was that when i want to unwind/decompress and not in the mood to shoot(rare occurrence) i would rather watch die hard vs. the oxygen channel that is all. Shit , some people take themselves too seriously

I had a rimfire semi auto that kept jamming all the time, 10-22 to be exact, left spent brass inside the ejection port, drove be crazy until I saw the little faint brass colored smudge on the windage knob of the scope. It was bouncing off the knob and going back inside and jamming it up. I turned the scope 90 degrees so the elevation was the windage and the windage...... well you get the idea. Once I zeroed the gun for 25 yards I was done, I didn't have any plans of doping up since it was a covered turret so it got me by. I'll admit it was tricky zeroing because I had to think about it. Looked pretty funny too! But hey, it worked, either that or buy another scope.

Thanks to most for the replys confirming "it was just a goof".
2Shots - what a novel idea
6brshooter - I really like to watch golf on Sunday afternoon on TV as it puts me to sleep in about 30 seconds with all the hushed wispering and all.
louboyd - Sorry for my poor choice of entertainment, but I HAD to watch as I was unable to change the channel since the remote had slipped down between the cushions of the couch and I couldn't fish it out as I was waiting for my nails to dry...kidding

randy

Seriously though, wouldn't the image through the scope be upside down?

(Somebody had to post it and I'm tired of waiting.)

Wow, not much in the way of funny bones here.

Hey I became a super sniper from watching TV for hours of virtual training. This is how I carry my AR

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3FOae1V1-Xg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Watching TV the other night and noticed a scope mounted upside down. Show was called Flashpoint, a weekly drama about a SRU (strategic response unit) that deals with hostage type situations... First caught my eye when I noticed the reticle ilum. knob underneath, and then saw the top of the scope had no el. turret, but it was under as well. Was this just a goof by someone who put the "stage kit" together, or is that ever actually done? Thinking el. knob may not snag on case/whatever, and with tall enough rings you could still see the el. turret by looking down under? Little tough to make adjustments, but if the lettering was redone? I do know they mount them on backwards by mistake but this is the first time I've seen upside down.

If you reference a later episode, the one where the son (of the man ed lane shot in the 1st episode) sets out on revenge. If you look closely at the scene when he is on the roof, his aimpoint is on backwards. You can tell because the battery compartment/ brightness knob is facing forward. ( only a real gun nazi would catch that one i guess)

I have a friend who is left handed and he turns his scope 90 degrees and uses the elevation knob for windage and the windage for elevation. We are High Power shooters and regularly shoot to 600 yards, and once in awhile to 1000 yards. He has tall turrets and seems to do alright with his setup. It was a problem for him adjusting the windage from the prone, using a sling, and no one makes a left handed scope.

I cant remember who, but someone's booth at shot show had a Eotech on a Ar for a printed banner. The Eotech was on backwards. I know it was near the Geissele booth because I noticed it while waiting in line for the Noveske memorial trigger.

I've seen EoTech's mounted backwards on a number of YV shows.

show on USA called Graceland-whole swat team stormed a building with flat tops, no optics, no irons. If I had a dollar for every time Hollywood portrayed something related to gun wrong...

its tactical.... by keeping the profile of the rifle slim it decreases the likelyhood of it catching on foreign objects and causing the shooter to miss. How could you now know this??

It is funny seeing these though, or when they change guns randomly or one second hammer is cocked the next its down or vice versa.