• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Muzzle Brake Choice

Matt3357

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2011
St. Louis Metro East
I am looking at muzzle brake styles and have come across this brake from APS. It's the first brake.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-slim-painkiller-muzzle-brake-aps-33319/

I really like the design and was wondering if there were any other brake manufacturers out there that produce something along the same genre at a bit lower price. It will be going on a 308.

Not scared of spending a bit of money on my rifle, but $190 just for the brake seems a bit steep in the field of muzzle brakes.

Let me know your thoughts.

Matt

Re: Muzzle Brake Choice

Check out "RWS" here on the Hide. $45 shipped.

Here's a pic of one on my Rem. 700.

RWEBrakePic2.jpg

Ok I have searched and looked but I can't find a place where I can look at their selection nor order one. Can you enlighten me?

Ok I found his site, but the only brake I found on there was like $175 not quite $45....?

Thanks,
Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt3357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at muzzle brake styles and have come across this brake from APS. It's the first brake.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-slim-painkiller-muzzle-brake-aps-33319/

I really like the design and was wondering if there were any other brake manufacturers out there that produce something along the same genre at a bit lower price. It will be going on a 308.

Not scared of spending a bit of money on my rifle, but $190 just for the brake seems a bit steep in the field of muzzle brakes.

Matt</div></div>

Benchmark Barrels has both the "muscle brake" with flats top and bottom in several port sizes and round brakes in several sizes. All of them are very effective. Search for Teamsendit and group buys here on the Hide for some pictures.

Good Luck

I do like the muscle brake. The threaded clamp idea really intrigues me. Being able to remove the brake while shooting on a line with other people is a major plus. I usually shoot alone, but sometimes there is a crowd.

Which that brings up another thought. Can you wrap a muzzle brake with anything that would pretty much eliminate its effectiveness as a brake to make it not drive the people on the line away?

Pretty sure I know the answer is no, but sometimes I get surprised.

My rifle barrel will need to be threaded on the end. I don't have a local gunsmith, but I have a very good machinist buddy that does work for me occasionally. Is there anything special that he needs to do/know to thread the barrel? I don't have a problem finding a gunsmith, but it will be significantly more expensive.

Thanks,
Matt

BTW thanks for all of the replies.