• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My "Budget" .223 build finally done

Re: My "Budget" .223 build finally done

Excellent work. I really love the look of that gun, and would copy you in a second, if only I had the skill.

Thanks Gents,I am almost finished with Coldboremiracle #2, the only differences will be a slightly different paint scheme and an adjustable cheek piece. Pictures to follow shortly.

So today after work, I stopped by one of my favorite shooting venues, the mountains above my home, to test some new dope.(thanks Chubbles)
after a short hike I found a suitable rest, and started picking out targets(rocks). I picked out 430, 530,630,710, and 930yds.
It looked great, but after the first few shots I realized my card was going to be a bit off, but I carried on so as to get some solid data to work with.I cant tell you how much I LOVE this Vortex Viper! It was SOO nice to shoot with. The shots at all ranges went as follows; read card, make adjustment, fire 1st shot, spot miss, measure adjustment and make it, fire 2nd shot, target destroyed. all the way out to the 930 yd target, with several confirming hits on each target, I was happy to say the least, both the gun and the scope were almost boringly repeatable.
The load was: 75 Amax, 24.5 gr of RL-15, Winchester brass, Fed205m primer seated at 2.880 with a SP comparator, here is the dope generated from todays trip;

430 yards-2.0 mils

530 yards-2.5 mils

630 yards-3.6 mils

710 yards-4.5 mils

930 yards-7.7 mils

After the last few shots, and noticing that it only took 7.7 mils of the 15 I had available left on the dial, I got a little curious.
So I started looking for a further target, I did so while thinking to myself: I built this gun not really expecting to use it much past 1k. And I'm pretty sure, field conditions will dictate how and when that happens, none the less I kept looking. I had a hard time getting the Leica to hit anything due to the suns low angle in the sky making pretty much all my potential targets glow with radiation, but I managed to get two good measurments off of a rock in the shadow of a tree, surrounded perfectly by soft dirt, the kind that makes good dust signatures. the two readings I got said 1308 and 1309 yds. Wow
cry.gif
I thought, thats a hell of a push for a little .223. but I figured it was worth a try. I set to estimating the dope nessessary to reach 1300 yards, my card only went to 1k, but I had an old one in MOA that went to 1.5k so I did a little math and figured it should take around 14.5 mils to get me there. so I dialed in the 14.5 hoping it would be at least on the dirt so I could see it. I barely spotted the first miss in the grass just below the dirt, I measured with my reticle it was about 2 mils low. I only have 15 available so I dialed the 15 and held one more over with the reticle. The hushed report of the rifle was such a beautifle sound, and the bullet noise echoed through the canyon, and I watched as my bullet impacted perfect elevation and just .5 mil right of POA. even the little breeze that there was played hell with my little bullet. I fired three or four more rounds up there, all of them landing close to the rock I was aiming at, never more than 1 mil from it and close as .25 mil from it.
It certainly was a good experience, and I learned alot about this gun, this load, and the capabilities we will have together in our long term relationship. I cant wait to get out again and keep working with it!!
grin.gif

Great looking rifle makes me wish I had the money to start my 223 build but I just finished my 308

FINALLY
cry.gif
!! They are both done, Coldboremiracle#2 is hot off the press, I went with a quick photo op with #1. The only differences between the two is the paint scheme, scopes, and #2 has an adjustable cheek piece and a swept back bolt handle. Enjoy:
DSCF5336.jpg

DSCF5339.jpg

DSCF5342.jpg

DSCF5344.jpg

DSCF5348.jpg

Both rifles (as well as others) will be acompanying me to the range tomorrow for a test and report. Sorry for the Crappy pics, my camera sucks! Let me know what ya think
grin.gif

We made it up to the range this morning, that is myself, chubbles, Mildotz, and SNAGLYTOOTH. a perfect day for some shooting among friends.
On the schedule for today was the sight in and test of CBM#2 and general practice with everything else. Using the same load as CBM#1, #2 did very well. Initial sight in went perfect, the Falcon 5-25 worked properly and within a few minutes we were shooting out to 645 yds.
The beauty of having two guns that shoot the same load, with the same dope, with mil/mil scopes on both was made very apparent and quickly so. #2 shot just as good as#1, and using the same elevation, chubbles and I hit targets on steel at 300,400,500,645. it was awesome, The hits just kept on coming.

Here is the lineup; in front, CBM#1, RRA/LAR-15, my newly painted 10fcp,
and in the back CBM#2
DSCF5367-1.jpg

DSCF5356.jpg

DSCF53572.jpg

DSCF53652.jpg

Here is CBM#2 on the firing line.

DSCF5355.jpg

Thanks to SNAG for lettin us all come up, and thanks to all for a great day of shooting!
grin.gif

Man impressive builds and write up ! Making one rifle to that level is difficult enough but to have to do a second stock is insanity !
Fantastic work and great to see they both paid off for you in accuracy too.

CBM excellent rifles man those things are tanks! Alot of time and hard work clearly paid off. It was great shooting with you guys today. Take care and good luck with the upcoming hunts.

Absolutely AWESOME! <span style="color: #000099"> love the pair of Double~Dueces</span>

Great wood work as well...VERY very nice! I just wished I had that sort of a back drop to throw shots out into...You guys have some awesome shooting ranges...

****Right quick...<span style="font-weight: bold">what is your take on the Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 scope</span>___I am seriously considering one on my 308 f-t/r because I can afford another SIII and no way clsoe to the NXS I want.

Very ambitious and excellent work. This is truly a talent. Planning for a source of income when you retire?

Sorry for the delayed responce Gents, I've been up Elk hunting.

btrapr, I love the Falcon (for the money) it has shown to be a great scope(for the money). while it definately does not have the same optical quality as many others, I think it may be the best buy(for the money) Though I have yet to look through a SS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coldbore,Very Nice,nobody can't say you ain't got a pair now !! </div></div>

Thanks RAT, I regret to admit that CBM#2 was actually built specifically for a very good friend who is breaking into precision marksmanship, CBM#2 is actually his first custom and he is in love.(who wouldn't be
blush.gif
) So she is no longer in my possession, but we shoot together quite often. That said, I still do "have a pair".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azbic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Planning for a source of income when you retire?
</div></div>

Only in my dreams, I have often toyed with the idea of learning the trade, I'm pretty good at picking things up, but I'm just a poor guy with VERY expensive taste forced to live on a budget. This is however, only the beginning. CBM#1 and #2 will be followed by 3, 4,5, ect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh, so my neighbor has a little CNC mill in his garage, he says its for recreating, so I put him to work making my bedding channel. I had him save the drawing for future needs.
</div></div>
want to send that CNC drawing this way? haha

which fiberglass did you use? can you give a bit more detail about that and shaping the stocks?

Nice work on the builds for sure. Thats quite a matched pair. Watch out - people will start PMing in orders.

those do look awesome. they inspired me to try something just like that so if you could tell me what you used for the metal bedding in the wood and what you used to texture that would be greatly appreciated. and again THEY LOOK SWEET!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper524</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work on the builds for sure. Thats quite a matched pair. Watch out - people will start PMing in orders. </div></div>

I was worried that might happen, but so far nothin
blush.gif

I was on a very strict budget, so the recoil pad was taken from the factory remington take off stock. the bedding channel was cunningly fashioned from a piece of 1.5ID aluminum tube that I sliced in half(1.30 barrel diameter fits perfect inside with .10 on each side) The wood was made from a walnut laminate (3, 1 inch planks), I figure you could use any of the good dry hardwoods, but I'm no carpenter. The texturing was made with devcon, masked off the area, and applied a thin coat, then wearing a latex glove I patted it to raise the texture evenly. let dry, and knock off the sharpies with sanding block. then paint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YOU ARE A BAD M***** F*****!!! Great rifle!! Super JOB!!!! </div></div>
blush.gif

wow so it really is heavy. the compact size is deceptive, especially when handling you dont expect it to have so much mass.

this caught my eye in the hunting headshots thread, seriously good work and two fantastic looking rifles, congrats.

Thats amazing. I don't know where you work but you should contact McMillan or HS precision about your stock design cause it is rocking. You see home smiths build there own rifles but never their own stocks. Truly amazing. Congrats to some fine shooting and to a fine rifle.

Any idea on what the stock weighs by iteself?

Awesome builds!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blakheaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats amazing. I don't know where you work but you should contact McMillan or HS precision about your stock design cause it is rocking. </div></div>

Well, I dont know how that would go, They have some similar designs, but not exactly what I wanted. Which is part of the reason I built them, either way, thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure how many people would want one of my stocks anyway, but I do have some VERY elaborate (mechanical) designs in my head but I have neither the budget nor the machinery to build them.

2guard, I haven't weighed them alone, but I believe they weigh somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 lbs, they are kinda heavy I guess, but the whole design was going to be heavy so I didn't care.

Just read through, takes a pile of tallent togo from mental image to realizing the vision. Beautiful rifles, they must be a blast to shoot! I had a build done by others, now I kinda wished I bit the bullet and tried it my self. I make custom knives, but never thought about building a rifle.

Again, beautiful job.

What an outstanding job!
My son was telling me the other day how he hoped to one day build a rifle from "scratch"- including the stock. I'm going to show him this thread...

A quick question-
You mentioned that the aluminum tubing/pipe you used was bedded into the stock, and can see that part in the pics. You also said there was .1 clearance around the barrel. I'm trying to understand what you did at this point- once the aluminum was bedded into the top of the stock. Looks like you put spacers around the barrel to free-float it, and then bedded the action into the pipe from just forward of the recoil lug to the back end of the action...is that right?- bedding below, and above-the pipe?

That is amazing work! I'm hoping to build my own stock for a Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 cal. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Bear, Thanks. I have a sickness that keeps my mind working on projects like these regardless of whether or not I can actually build it or even afford them. Luckily the very same sickness keeps these backburner projects in a state of constant re-engineering and completion so that when/if I ever get the funds or ability to fabricate them, I'm pretty sure of the details and procedures I plan to use. There are days when I feel like a one man think tank (with lots of floaters
blush.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You also said there was .1 clearance around the barrel. I'm trying to understand what you did at this point- once the aluminum was bedded into the top of the stock. Looks like you put spacers around the barrel to free-float it, and then bedded the action into the pipe from just forward of the recoil lug to the back end of the action...is that right?- bedding below, and above-the pipe? </div></div>

Thats exactly right, After bedding the aluminum into the wood, I placed some prefabricated spacers, .10 in thickness, and contoured to fit the bedding channel and bottom of the action. Said spacers are visible in the second picture in post #1988247. These spacers brought the barreled action up to perfect center inside the bedding channel, and spaced them perfectly between the sides. After the spacers were installed, I simply bedded the action like you would any other. The bedding channel is purposely fitted to be flush with the top of the wood, so there is just a skiff of epoxy above the edge of the channel.

Ingenious...
OK, one more...
I couldn't help but wonder if you considered a solid aluminum bedding block, same as the high-end stocks use for "no bedding" for the action.
Given that your friend has the CNC...

'Course, the end result couldn't have been any better, as the proof is in the test targets. For those of us dreaming about trying this someday, is there anything you would do differently?

I had considered it, but it was enough work as it is, and I have three rifles with a bedding block that are bedded anyway.

As far as doing differently, I would have to say a mill would have cut my time down to a couple hours instead of weeks. And the stress caused by the time frame takes its toll on the quality of your work.

Fantastic work, A lot of hard work went into your build and it shows, a labor of love. top shelf. Thanks for sharing. MM

Just ran across your post, and all I can say is WOW! Those are some beauties. Very fine job.

Man you did a great job. Amazing work on the stock. Don't want to think about how much work it was. Turned out sweat.

Look forward to a range report.

This looks really good. I love the way the stock turned out, hows the accuracy? (Sorry if you said that already, I didn´t read everything)

Wow! talk about craftsmanship. I've always wondered how somebody would go about building a rifle from scratch and this answered pretty much all my questions. Those sticks came out sick, and the fact they're shooters makes it all worth it. Like azbic said, you may have found a calling...

JAM

Nice build. Love to hear the long range shooting reports. Only out to 985 yards with my 223 so far.
I have a Vortex PST on order 6-24 FFP Mil Mil. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Had a friend up to the range this weekend. His rifle was in the shop so we had a little SH dot drill competition with my rifle.
I hate it when I get beat with my own rifle and ammo.

You sure have talent, I've got tonnes of ideas in my head too but suspect they would look like kindergarten art if I actually tried to make them.

Cheers