• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

my budget 700 build

caleb7mm

Nobody
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2010
atlanta, GA
dont know if anyone cares but here is my stick

so far I have done 100% of the work myself. I am now researching who to send it to for the gunsmith portion next. That will be having the action trued and the barrel and recoil lug replaced.

Started out with a stock remington 700 VTR .308

I installed a EGW heavy duty 20MOA base (bedded) then added 30MM burris XTR low rings.

I then installed the Timney 510 trigger and set it at 1lb 10oz.

B&C A2 Medalist stock with full length bedding block.

I bedded the recoil lug in the stock.

I added a tac ops cheek pad and put cut strips of a mouse pad under it to get the proper cheek weld.

I installed a tac ops bolt knob as well. It was a fun project for me. I didnt go the route of the instructions though. I threaded the post end of the supplied install lug and tapped the bolt handle.

Next was the NIGHTFORCE NXS 5.5-22X50 with NP-R1 reticle and MOA HighSpeed knobs.

first range trip with all the above:

168gr FGMM

100 yards, 40 degrees, 710 elevation, 1-2mph wind, no mirage at target.

shooting prone with bipod and tactical works rear bag.

I couldnt ask for anything more with the factory barrel and action.

IMG_0889.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

Re: my budget 700 build

You did a real nice job on that stick.keep us posted on the rest.

Nice job. I used the same Rem 700 308 and will be putting it into an AI AX chassis on Wednesday when it comes in.
Keep up the good work.

Nice job. It is already shooting. No need to true the action, just shoot it.

Any issue with the HD base, 50mm objective, an the XTR Low rings?

I was going to buy mediums, but if the lows will work with mine, I will be even happier!

Thanks!

Great looking rifle and groups by the way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Bailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any issue with the HD base, 50mm objective, an the XTR Low rings?

I was going to buy mediums, but if the lows will work with mine, I will be even happier!

Thanks!

Great looking rifle and groups by the way </div></div>

no issues at all. even with butler creek covers. you will be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bruno86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle! Now start shooting instead of working on it!!!! lol </div></div>

I know!
wink.gif

if the weather hold i will be back out monday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caleb7mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> {gunsmith portion next.} That will be having the action trued and the barrel and recoil lug replaced.

I bedded the recoil lug in the stock.
</div></div>

Why did you bed it, and then have it redone/replaced??

My budget build is almost the same exact one as yours. With the exception of the glass, a few extra adjustments on the stock we're twins.

Nice stick man.

coldboremiracle I bet he meant the bottom metal was bedded by them.

OP if it shoots like that I wouldn't let a smith touch it until it needs a new barrel. No need to, it is shooting great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney88PDC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">coldboremiracle I bet he meant the bottom metal was bedded by them.

OP if it shoots like that I wouldn't let a smith touch it until it needs a new barrel. No need to, it is shooting great! </div></div>

Correct. I am seriously thinking about leaving this one as is. looking at a surgeon action for the next not so budget build.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACE31!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick build, was the CDI bottom metal a direct bolt on? </div></div>

No Sir it is not. It has a similar footprint to the badger. Not the same but similar. I paid a local smith to inlet the stock and bed the bottom metal. Well worth the 100 bucks! With the internal bedding block it was a lot easier to have them put it on a mill than me spend 40 hours with a dremel tool.

great looking rifle..my folks live in Lake Arrowhead about 15 minutes from Canton...small world

I strongly recommend you leave that rifle alone. If you replace the lug, it will be difficult to get it exactly where it was and it might no go back into the recess without relieving the bedding you already did. Barrels are like guitar strings in that they have to be tuned to get a sweet note. Your barrel, by luck or not, seems to be tuned very well. Leave it alone, if you change it, it may not play so sweet any more.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caleb7mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I am now researching who to send it to for the gunsmith portion next. That will be having the action trued and the barrel and recoil lug replaced.
</div></div>

If you are getting good results already why do you want to pay to change/ modify functioning components

the same $$ could get a basic reloading set up to equal or exceed the FGMM in your used brass for about .50 each

shoot out that barrel + put some wear on that action/bolt with 6-8 thousand rounds, then have it reworked

i have decided to leave it alone after a conversation with Mark at accurate ordnance. I am going to put all that money toward a surgeon action and start another build.

thanks for all the compliments guys!

caleb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 07zx6r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great looking rifle..my folks live in Lake Arrowhead about 15 minutes from Canton...small world </div></div>

very small world! I am looking at buying a house in arrowhead right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caleb7mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACE31!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick build, was the CDI bottom metal a direct bolt on? </div></div>

No Sir it is not. It has a similar footprint to the badger. Not the same but similar. I paid a local smith to inlet the stock and bed the bottom metal. Well worth the 100 bucks! With the internal bedding block it was a lot easier to have them put it on a mill than me spend 40 hours with a dremel tool. </div></div>

Much appreciate the info

just thought I would throw some pics up from yesterday

first group of the day at 100 yards. little low.
100yard.jpg

made a small adjustment. then I tried a drill I read about recently. aim at a quarter of the dot instead of the middle of the dot. Lots of fun, really makes you concentrate harder.
100yards.jpg

then a 2" dot at 200 yards.
200yardgroup.jpg