• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My turn for an annoying "which action" thread

Which action?

• Total voters

spife7980

Luchador
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
God I cant believe I am making this thread. BY now I figured I would have made up my mind but Ive preferred a different one each single day.

Whats prompting me
So... my cousin bought an Impact and Im having a serious case of keeping up with the joneses. However Im no doctor and Im not going to drop that much money no matter how much I would like to. The howa bravo is seriously appealing since it can be done for sub 900 bucks all in. But I know its really not an improvement over what I already have so unless they start selling their creed barreled action for in the 300s Im not going to get it.

Where Im at now
As as it stands now I have invested into the remage system for a couple rifles already, I have the northland action wrench and nut wrech etc so the barrel nut set ups are not a point of contention. I like them but I wouldnt turn my nose up at a shouldered prefit either.

My current comp rifle is a blue printed ptg 700 in a krg xray with a criterion remage 6xc. This new action will go into the xray and I will put this current rem700 into a bravo or oryx or something in all likely hood.

Id be putting a bix single stage tacsport pro in it.

Questions/concerns I have
So all of these actions have a pinned scope base aside from the nucleus. I understand what the pin does but what I dont understand is how tough it is to remove once pinned. From my understabding they are driven into an undersized hole so thats going to be a real bitch to get off it sounds. If that is the case it means that I will need to invest in a rear action wrench as well. Obviously small potatoes compared to the action and barrel for it but enough little piddly things can add up to sway me towards one or another.

I like the idea of barrel nuts being an option so that I can always put my own barrel on at a later date, savage and remage spec are both fine by me. (This is really just the curtis axiom that concerns me here)

I like the idea of interchangeable bolt heads. If I stick with 6xc I might want to try a valkyrie out, however Im not going to buy a ppc bolt face only and be stuck with those few cartridges that can run it. If I am stuck with one bolt face its going to be .473"

Id like the idea of running just a normal 6br in the future so mechanical

(give me more info to fill in or make corrections where Im wrong. More ideas for line items etc)
1547220816978.png

So, my thought about the individual actions.

Alamo APR G2
Pros
  • I like the intro price more than all the others but I only have 5 days to decide on it to do so, pricing ends Jan 15th.
  • Full DLC

Cons
  • There isnt a whole heck of a lot out there on it. Looks like a weird extractor and ejector but the limited pics arent high res enough to actually tell much, what I can tell looks proprietary with no other parts availability
  • No bolt head swaps.

ARC Nucleus
Pros
  • Basically looks like they tried to (and possibly did) make a better mouse trap
  • Non pinned base looks like I can make use of my current action wrench easily
  • Savage barrel compatibility
  • Swappable bolt heads
  • Semi CRF and extractor looks great
Cons
  • The whole bump on close thing
  • the firing pin spring just seems like a fiasco from the outside looking in
  • Everything looks proprietary, nothing on it will match up with parts for anything else from what I can tell.
  • Second most expensive

Bighorn Origin
Pros
  • Looks to be the most widely adaptable
  • Has swappable bolt heads
  • Savage barrel compatible
  • CRF, mechanical ejector
  • 2nd cheapest, tied for 1st after the 15th
  • Tool-less firing pin removal
  • (NOT CAST lol)
Cons
  • Can bind if bolt ran off center
  • Not sure I like the savage extractor system but people dont complain about it on a bighorn unlike savages so maybe not really a con

Curtis Axiom
Pros
  • Supposedly runs slicker than goose shit and cant be bound. Keystone liked that
  • I like the shiny action
  • m16 extractor
Cons
  • No barrel nut compatibility, has to be cut specifically for the axiom so I cant do it myself in the future
  • Just not as frequently seen, makes me question why not, what dont I know about it
  • No swappable bolt head
  • I remember people complaining about mags putting pressure on the bolt and not cycling. Thats how my rem700 is but hey, maybe some of the others arent like that?
  • Plunger ejector but not a huge issue that Ive seen too many complains about.
  • Most expensive

Defiance Tenacity
Pros
  • Remington threads, I can move my 6xc barrel onto it and then make my old rifle a carbon fiber 243ai hot rod hunting rifle. Speed has been calling me. Sharing barrels with what I already have isnt a bad thing
  • For some reason defiance just appeals to me. Maybe because its closest to what I already have
Cons
  • I like the polished look a whole lot but the tenacity thread shows pictures of them looking like cast potmetal and not the polishedlook I love aside from an example of one who claims that he has the only one like that in existence.
  • No swappable bolt head
Kelbys Atlas
Pros
  • Trigger hanger, seems nifty
  • Kelbys has just always screamed accuracy to me so I wouldnt mind getting in on that lol
  • On sale for 895 for a bit, that 100 bucks saving can get a rear entry wrench
Cons
  • No savage/remage barrel compatibility
  • Same savage style slip extractor like the bighorns...
  • Larger firing pin but still not quite a large pin

Sooo thats where Im at. What would yall do?
I prefer future flexibility to put my own stuff on it.
I dont care about 60° vs 90°
Bolt lift can be tailored somewhat by filing cocking pieces, I guess I would prefer to upset the rifle when opening as opposed to when closing but I doubt any of these really knock the rifle out of the bags
It will be run with AICS, magpul has worked best for me so far but I have metal aics sitting around doing nothing so thats no big difference for me.
Dont really care about swept vs straight handle, I already have both and never notice a difference going from one to the other.

I just want an action that will shoot well and not limit me in the future. Right now the origin is in the leading for future adaptability.

Last edited:
Reactions: AIAW
They are all great actions and I looked at building on all of them too..... and I went with Tikka....
Good luck man you’ll get swamped with information on this thread I’m sure

Reactions: spife7980
They are all great actions and I looked at building on all of them too..... and I went with Tikka....
Good luck man you’ll get swamped with information on this thread I’m sure
HA! Ive put off tikka or howa for awhile now, still may end up going that route but I am wanting something with more... prestige? The rem700 foot print is really whats driving me towards these customs instead of building something else thus far.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
My advice is hold off, don't upgrade until you can get the action you REALLY want. Whether that's an Impact, TL3, whatever. Otherwise you're just gonna find yourself 3 barrels into this one, stuck with some proprietary stuff, action wrenches, remage vs savage vs shouldered prefits and that's going to make upgrading harder in the future. What you really want is an action that's reliable and gets out of the way to let you shoot, and that you're not going to want to upgrade again in the future. The extra couple hundred dollars and waiting to save up that $$ is well worth it in the grand scheme of things.

I voted for the nucleus. To me it seems overbuilt compared to the competition and i like to support my old stomping grounds. If AI was on the poll though...

My advice is hold off, don't upgrade until you can get the action you REALLY want. Whether that's an Impact, TL3, whatever. Otherwise you're just gonna find yourself 3 barrels into this one, stuck with some proprietary stuff, action wrenches, remage vs savage vs shouldered prefits and that's going to make upgrading harder in the future. What you really want is an action that's reliable and gets out of the way to let you shoot, and that you're not going to want to upgrade again in the future. The extra couple hundred dollars and waiting to save up that $$ is well worth it in the grand scheme of things.
Thats what dove me to the blue printed rem 700 to start with, save up while I figure out what I really want and honestly... I dont mind the 700 at all. My only complaints are that 1% of the time it will leave a fired case on top of the mag but it’s so infrequent I can’t reproduce it to problem solve whether it’s just letting go early or bouncing off the turret. And maybe the bottom bolt release but that’s pretty much just when installing triggers. Using the rifle it’s no problem. Toolless firing system removal is snazzy but I have an old dedicated shoe I leave in the corner for the shoe lace and I can knock that ejector out really fast now so the toolless will save me... 3 minutes in time every couple months when I remeasure the lands?

Im just looking for an excuse to build up a new barrels action. An AI would be great and probably the most advisable route but that’s like 2-3x what I will allow myself to pay.

My ideal action would likely be the mausingfield but that’s just because I love my ruger m77 so much. People talk shit about them but that thing is solid as a rock, it’s never failed me in any way after rebarreling. So that leads me to CRF but then I can’t complain about my remingtons so I don’t see it as a real point of contention. But because I haven’t reached a real point of contention it’s hard for me to argue against building a tikka or howa other than they aren’t any better than what I already have.

I can flip flop on what I want better than congress

At least when you do an annoying this or that thread, you do a really complete job!

Doesn’t kelby’s have a new action? I mean newer than an atlas. Black bear or something...

I voted Nucleus. The Bighorn is awesome too. I own both.

Also, having owned a bunch of actions with pinned rails, not one has ever been hard to pull off once the screws are removed. The origin is probably the tightest I have, but it pulls off by hand.

Just a few minutes ago I was tinkering with the nucleus and one of PVA’s button savage prefit in 6.5 PRC, that I bought on sale for $470. Swag handload with 140 eld’s. I dont even have 20 rounds down the barrel yet. Action and barrel are working great in an AICS with accurate wsm mags. 2.5” group at 660 yds.

008EAF0F-5A67-454C-A898-17FC954FDC04.jpeg

IMO, the APR is the bang-for-the-buck champ, leaving more money available for other bits.
I too like the price and don’t disagree. Except for that weird ass extractor. It’s like a mini16 that morphs into some sort of crf claw? Looks like it might leave a bunch of unsupported bolt face? Doesn’t look pinned so maybe the same safety concerns as a Sako extractor?
77391B15-5DA4-4BC2-BE3A-3CD0D635CCB9.png

I really wish they would release better pics before I put down a deposit. That’s what stopped me from doing the origin or nucleus months ago when they were 100 cheaper, I wanted more info. Though I guess if it changes between now and release I would be pissed that it’s not what I expected. Vicious circle. Why can’t I just have my cake and eat it too?

I would agree that a Mausingfield is what you really want. I have a few of them ranging from one of the first that was made to one made a year ago and I like all of them a ton. I also have a Nucleus for myself and one in 223 for my 10yo son (haven't had any of the firing pin issues and didn't notice any bump on close until someone pointed out that if I ran it like a sloth it was bumpy). I think it's pretty awesome that they headspace the same. If you look and perhaps call around, you can find one for just a few hundred more than some of the ones you're looking at.

Reactions: lash and spife7980
At least when you do an annoying this or that thread, you do a really complete job!

Doesn’t kelby’s have a new action? I mean newer than an atlas. Black bear or something...

I voted Nucleus. The Bighorn is awesome too. I own both.

Also, having owned a bunch of actions with pinned rails, not one has ever been hard to pull off once the screws are removed. The origin is probably the tightest I have, but it pulls off by hand.

Just a few minutes ago I was tinkering with the nucleus and one of PVA’s button savage prefit in 6.5 PRC, that I bought on sale for $470. Swag handload with 140 eld’s. I dont even have 20 rounds down the barrel yet. Action and barrel are working great in an AICS with accurate wsm mags. 2.5” group at 660 yds.

View attachment 7001630
The black bear looks amazing but it’s 1400. I’m putting a mental wall at 1k, the only reason the axiom is on there is because with the keystone 1600 axiom Krieger deal it’s not quite as bad. Still more than an origin criterion match up but I don’t necessarily mind supporting a smith, I just want the option to not be hamstrung to one later on. Which is what concerns me on the axiom, if it goes out of style and I’m stuck having it cut special.

Reactions: Mako235
I had this same dilemma and ended up going with the Bighorn. I’ve had a couple short bouts of buyers remorse, nothing to do with the action, just wondering if I should have gone TL3 with the intergral lug and 416 stainless. I’ve come to the realization that I’ll never notice any functional difference between 416 or chromoly and the integral lug is pinned so it won’t be moving regardless. In the end, I’m happy I saved the $450... I think I can speak for everyone when I say I have no shortage of things to spend extra cash on

I'd really like to recommend the Origin, as it seems like the perfect melding of the Savage pre-fit barrels & interchangeable bolt heads, with the 700SA foot print, triggers, stocks, etc. along with CRF and mechanical ejector.

Unfortunately I don't have any trigger time behind mine - literally - because I seem to be one of the unlucky souls whose Origin doesn't want to play nice with *any* trigger I've tried thus far (six) as a 'drop-in'. It's going to the gunsmith to get some fitting done; hopefully that will take care of that little annoyance.

I too like the price and don’t disagree. Except for that weird ass extractor. It’s like a mini16 that morphs into some sort of crf claw? Looks like it might leave a bunch of unsupported bolt face? Doesn’t look pinned so maybe the same safety concerns as a Sako extractor?
View attachment 7001633

I really wish they would release better pics before I put down a deposit. That’s what stopped me from doing the origin or nucleus months ago when they were 100 cheaper, I wanted more info. Though I guess if it changes between now and release I would be pissed that it’s not what I expected. Vicious circle. Why can’t I just have my cake and eat it too?
I hear ya, for sure. From what I can tell in that pic it looks like there's probably about the same area of the case head left unsupported on the Nucleus and/or Mausingfield. That said, that's a conclusion drawn from looking at one somewhat fuzzy picture on the Interwebz.

Regarding the support, all I can say is that Alamo seems to be really serious about building their brand, and I'd tend to believe that they'll stand behind the product if there are any problems. I know from personal experience that ARC stands behind their product, and I'd believe that all of the others would be likely to do the same.

I just think that if it were my money to spend at this point, I'd go with the APR G2...

Just got my origin and I’m extremely happy with it. It doesn’t bind when you’re down behind the gun shooting. If your standing up with the gun at your hip and run the bolt it may do it but not always. It’s a non issue.

If your going 6br stay away from kelby. I have one in 6 dasher and if you dont run the bolt hard the case won't come out of the action. Called them about it and they had a New bolt design and I had to pay for the bolt. It helps some but I would never buy another one

No Texas-born Stiller love Spife?

Not annoying at all. It's good to get some opinions now and then. If you had asked MIL or MOA then we'd be in a different place ;)
Lol, my Stiller is in its fourth barrel, second one with me and just keeps on kicking. With its one piece bolt and M16 extractor, my TAC30AW handles the AW mags like a champ and has never experienced any of the issues with them that one can read about. I cannot imagine ever getting rid of it.

Having said that, I have a Nucleus at the smiths right now waiting it’s turn. It’s a beautiful action that seems like it will be another keeper to me. A LOT of action for the money. It doesn’t hurt that I let my gut make this decision at the last moment of the intro sale. In retrospect and reading your heavily and well researched conundrum above, I may have saved myself a lot of angst by doing so, lol.

You are in a good spot right now, and other than the self-imposed money concern regarding the Alamo, can savor the process. Something you could consider is making it to a show like the NRA show or the Southeast precision rifle show that was hosted last year. These will typically have the actions available to try out and usually offer price specials at the shows besides. You find the right one and your gut will let you know.

Lastly, I’m not sure there’s a bad decision at all with your choices above. And part of the fun of doing a new build with no pressure is the aspects of choosing what you want and putting it together.

I’m no help at all. :cool:

I'd really like to recommend the Origin, as it seems like the perfect melding of the Savage pre-fit barrels & interchangeable bolt heads, with the 700SA foot print, triggers, stocks, etc. along with CRF and mechanical ejector.

Unfortunately I don't have any trigger time behind mine - literally - because I seem to be one of the unlucky souls whose Origin doesn't want to play nice with *any* trigger I've tried thus far (six) as a 'drop-in'. It's going to the gunsmith to get some fitting done; hopefully that will take care of that little annoyance.

Wasnt Bighorn doing trigger fittings on TL3’s for people free of charge? Did you ask them about your origin? Very minor adjustment. May be as simple as replacing the cocking piece.

@spife7980 why do you state that the Nucleus is a semi-CRF? (I'm just wondering what the differences would be)

So many good actions out there, each with various options and features. Tough choices!
I went Nucleus. I really liked the engineering involved (watching Ted's videos). I also like the idea of the Toroidal Lugs, the three lug rails and the various safety features. It's very well built. No light primer strikes for me with FGMM ammo, I did have issues with some 7.62 150gr crap ammo with crimped primers (mil type ammo).
The only thing I can think of that's proprietary on it would be the bolt knob (The origin is similar too.) However, I really like the weird bolt knob. Other than that, it's a 700 footprint with a 700 trigger setup, and takes Savage small shank barrels, I don't really need anything other than that.

Last edited:
@spife7980 why do you state that the Nucleus is a semi-CRF? (I'm just wondering what the differences would be)

So many good actions out there, each with various options and features. Tough choices!
I went Nucleus. I really liked the engineering involved (watching Ted's videos). I also like the idea of the Toroidal Lugs, the three lug rails and the various safety features. It's very well built. No light primer strikes for me with FGMM ammo, I did have issues with some 7.62 150gr crap ammo with crimped primers (mil type ammo).
The only thing I can think of that's proprietary on it would be the bolt knob (The origin is similar too.) However, I really like the weird bolt knob. Other than that, it's a 700 footprint with a 700 trigger setup, and takes Savage small shank barrels, I don't really need anything other than that.
You’re right. It’s still a crf. It’s really just a call back to the nucleus threads where it wasn’t fully captured as soon as it rode up, kind of an obscure reference but I just kind of made it a note in my head. Haven’t really heard anything about the other crfs having the same thing discussed so just a mental note of what I’ve read.
My ruger works the same way. Never noticed until I purposefully checked after reading about it. Don’t really have a problem with it as it’s more due to magazine fit and trim than the action.

Wasnt Bighorn doing trigger fittings on TL3’s for people free of charge? Did you ask them about your origin? Very minor adjustment. May be as simple as replacing the cocking piece.

I think it's $50 now (still not bad), and they're backed up to sometime in February. One guy on deployment, plus SHOT, plus everything else...

The black bear looks amazing but it’s 1400. I’m putting a mental wall at 1k, the only reason the axiom is on there is because with the keystone 1600 axiom Krieger deal it’s not quite as bad. Still more than an origin criterion match up but I don’t necessarily mind supporting a smith, I just want the option to not be hamstrung to one later on. Which is what concerns me on the axiom, if it goes out of style and I’m stuck having it cut special.

Ah, I see.

I hadn’t heard that the origin receivers are cast. A call to Bighorn would answer that. I don’t actually think that matters at all. If it is a casting, It ought to be rather nice one if they were able to nitride it. Interesting that the Alamo and origin are identically priced(post presale price on the Alamo I mean).

The Bighorn bolt heads are cheap compared to the nucleus, that could be a factor between those two for you.

Unlike you, I’m not a fan of the mausingfield. I’ve played with them more than once, and they feel clunky to me. I’ve been abused in the past for saying that, but the feel while operating an action is important to me. I understand what Ted was doing with those features, but some of them, like CRF, I couldn’t care less about. I could say some of the same stuff about the Nucleus, but I found the Nucleus to be a far more interesting design. A lot of neat features packed into one action. At the introductory price, it was a no brainer. Even at it’s full price, it’s pretty amazing that they can price it like any old rem-clone from years ago. That thing has a lot of parts!

If you factor in the cost of nitriding or DLC, it really puts the defiance at the back of the line imo. If there’s any action on your list that needs DLC, it’s likely that one. I have a love hate relationship with Defiance. It’s a crapshoot whether or not you get a binding monster in my experience. The nitride/DLC actions are super smooth, and give the impression that they’ll run forever without wearing out.

You’re right. It’s still a crf. It’s really just a call back to the nucleus threads where it wasn’t fully captured as soon as it rode up, kind of an obscure reference but I just kind of made it a note in my head. Haven’t really heard anything about the other crfs having the same thing discussed so just a mental note of what I’ve read.
My ruger works the same way. Never noticed until I purposefully checked after reading about it. Don’t really have a problem with it as it’s more due to magazine fit and trim than the action.

Gotcha, I recall reading a thread about that too. As far as I've seen, CRF can be very magazine dependent. Luckily, they will also push feed if there is an issue, so not really any worse than a normal 700 action in the end. My Nucleus is 100% CRF with ARC magazines.

I also have a video of my friends TL3 push feeding (sometimes, it wasn't all the time) due to the interface between the chassis he was running and the magazine and action. When he switched chassis the push feed went away.

Last edited:
Don't get yourself down a rat hole.

Pros:

You will have a popular action.

You are most likely at the level to justify.

Cons

You're may be upgrading to your level of incompetence. No offense.

It wont improve your marksmanship since you probably shoot pretty good already.

Any shortcomings with your current rifle you make up for with your serous reloading skills. Most people seem to overlook this important skill set.

We've seen too many people make this leap and then stradled with a headache no different than buying a Wal-Mart 700 just for the action. We never see people report back that the action turned them into a national champion. It was the action that did it. That was the ticket. Meh.

So true but just like heroin: you don’t know what you’re missing out on until you try it. (I’ve never done heroin but I did just watch “Beautiful Boy”, devastating)

Last edited:
I thought the origin was Crome Molly and the tl3 was stainless was really the only difference. The origin can start from a smaller peace of metal as it does not have a integral lug and scope base which means less machine time. I’m don’t think it is cast in any way.

Idk, that’s just what the smith said as a contributing factor for why the axiom was more expensive.

Doesn’t really matter one way or the other to me how it’s made so long as it’s good.

Last edited:
I was in your shoes and ended up with the APR G2. Features looked good, full DLC, and the intro price was too good to pass up.

Thats what dove me to the blue printed rem 700 to start with, save up while I figure out what I really want and honestly... I dont mind the 700 at all. My only complaints are that 1% of the time it will leave a fired case on top of the mag but it’s so infrequent I can’t reproduce it to problem solve whether it’s just letting go early or bouncing off the turret. And maybe the bottom bolt release but that’s pretty much just when installing triggers. Using the rifle it’s no problem. Toolless firing system removal is snazzy but I have an old dedicated shoe I leave in the corner for the shoe lace and I can knock that ejector out really fast now so the toolless will save me... 3 minutes in time every couple months when I remeasure the lands?

Im just looking for an excuse to build up a new barrels action. An AI would be great and probably the most advisable route but that’s like 2-3x what I will allow myself to pay.

My ideal action would likely be the mausingfield but that’s just because I love my ruger m77 so much. People talk shit about them but that thing is solid as a rock, it’s never failed me in any way after rebarreling. So that leads me to CRF but then I can’t complain about my remingtons so I don’t see it as a real point of contention. But because I haven’t reached a real point of contention it’s hard for me to argue against building a tikka or howa other than they aren’t any better than what I already have.

I can flip flop on what I want better than congress
For your rem.. extraction issue have you looked at Kempfeld Customs..

He pops in mini-m16 extractors and he is very fast. It will extract at any speed and aid in ejection.

LMAO at the thought that the Origin is cast.

Reference the following link, via a simple google search:

https://bighornarms.com/faq/

And I quote: "TL3's are stainless steel receivers with an integrated recoil lug while Origin's are chromoly receivers with a non-integrated, pinned recoil lug. "

You'll be hard pressed to realize more value for your dollar than the Bighorn Origin.

Sorry for the thread derail with usable data. You may continue with the hand wringing.

FYI, If you were to order a nucleus now, it will ship with the new gen bolt head that does away with the bump on close. As soon as spares are available, im sending all my bolt heads in (i have 2 .308's and a magnum bolt head) to trade out for the new ones. With that in mind, i 100% say you should get the nucleus. i have a nucleus and a john hancock. Love them.

I have now removed the reference to the origin being cast, makes me wonder why a smith would say that but oh well, got it cleaned up, sorry to disseminate bad info.

For your rem.. extraction issue have you looked at Kempfeld Customs..

He pops in mini-m16 extractors and he is very fast. It will extract at any speed and aid in ejection.
Its already got a mini16 extractor. Thanks though

Reactions: Diver160651
I like both my TL3's, and will buy another this year. A bud just got an Origin, and it's super nice. I love the swappable bolt heads, tooless disassembly and every thing else about it.

Binding has never been an issue for me. Sure, I can get it to do that if I'm messing with it on my bench top, but when actually lined up properly and shooting it, it has never, nada, zip, zilch, even once bound up on me. I've had the first one since they came out in late '16. Neither of mine are DLC'd, but my Bud's Origin is. Even better. Buy Bighorn with confidence. I've seen TL3's here for as low as $1,050 so you might get lucky. Good luck!

OT, a bit, just having fun.

The only way to make your friend grind his teeth in jealousy, lol, is to buy that new Borden Super Short 6. Just get a barreled action in 6 BRA and be done with it. I see you over at that other site and know you've seen the records being set in the long range BR world. You want the most accuracy right???, this combo is it!

Also order it with cock on close to take advantage of that forward momentum. Just think how much faster you could cycle that shorty short action! Your friend wouldn't stand a chance against you, lol.

Lose the B&A trigger and instead get the TT diamond pro, that'll save you some $.

You have your PTG M700 to put other chamberings on so...

I say spend the money and get what you want, whatever it is, in 6 months the extra money will be forgotten.

But I'll agree with Supersubes, for all the Mausingfields great design features it isn't the best feeling action around at especially bolt lift. Not bad for a first try on Ted's part but it is what it is. I will say that the barrels I've put on mine are hammers, might be because of the action compared to my trued M700, can't say for sure. I used to think I wasn't a good group shooter until I put a 6mmBR barrel on recently, almost all the groups are touching at 100Y and the vertical at distance is really small.

Last edited:
some one has to say it...(sorry if i missed something above, thought i read most of it)

if you are willing to spend $12-1500 on a action the a $2-300 on a barrel, rail etc.

even though you have some tools set up etc, you may want to "start over" and get a AI (used AT or AX)

i had a pile of different actions and barrels and room full of different crap, got my first AI and that stuff started leaving the house shortly after. and the ones that i just cant make myself get rid of collect dust in the back of the safe. i keep telling myself that they are great for when other people want to come shoot or ill give it to my nephew etc, but i should just get rid of them.

they are not for every one and if you dont like the chassis then its a different story (even though some guys are separating them), but you dont have buyers remorse and you are never wondering if its the kit or you on that day. and they arent able to be pulled from a chassis and dumped in a super light stock for mountain goat hunting, but i shoot on a lot more saturdays then i go hard hunting.

back to what you asked, personally i wouldnt go to far off big factory dimensions.

there seem to be new actions and different bolt heads coming out every week, which is really cool but the faster the come out the faster they can close down.

id hate to spend on really trick action but if the guy retires the spare parts dry up as well.

get a blow out or a really pitted bolt face and you have a really expensive sitck

For what it is worth, a couple things I don't like if your swapping barrels:
~ Actions were the recoil lug is not part of the action or pinned. IT is always one more step with the lug alinement tool to worry about.​
~ Actions that are so short the rail needs to stick way past the barrel junction.​
That said, guys have been swapping barrels at the range for years on normal shouldered custom barrels without the go, no-go process or barrel nuts. I've seen guys that order maybe 5 or more barrels at a time and flip between them in one session to sort the ones that will be their barrel for the big matches..

The borden super 6 looks awesome but its a bit pricier and I have to keep myself disciplined. I just simply refuse to put that much money into my hobby (even though my autothrow will have cost me more:sick:).
Im setting a hard cap at 1k, the axiom is only there because of the combo sale. An no one has voiced a suggestion for it. Though... shit, I see I didnt make in an option in the poll! Im an idiot.

I dont necessarily want to make him jealous over his impact, I just want to sort of tag along and go through the build experience again.

And already have the Bix, I bought it while TT took their time sending me a replacement for the old carbide roller primary trigger. Ill take the Bix of my 223 and put the TT primary back on it.

My question, people like cock on close?

I guess thats just because of they are running bolts as fast as possible in these timed stages so its getting slung home regardless.
Ill only be shooting 2, maybe 3, matches a year, every other weekend will be by myself leisurely shooting bagged up solid single feeding usually. So I figured that when I get it all set up and positioned in my bags solid and I go to close the bolt no cock on close would mean that I dont drift off target. I guess thats more along the lines of what a benchrester or fclasser is after.
But at the same time if there was no cock on close that would then put it all into cock on opening which can rock the rifle out of the bags just as bad before follow up shots so I guess thats just the other side of the coin.

Not really sure what Im looking for as far as cock on opening goes, I like the idea of the nucleous 105/-5 in theory, no idea how it feels functionally. I figure the bighorn I can adjust the cocking piece myself like the other people to trim it up a bit so its at least not over cocking on close.

Ive played with some AIs and they feel nice and I like them alright (not a fan of two stage triggers but I like the TRG trigger way more and the AI) but Im just not going to spend that much. 12-1500 on an action is more than Im planning, more like 750-1000 and then in all likely hood 4-500 on a barrel. Brownells has a 10% off so Im just going to go ahead and pick up the krg bravo right now.

I wont be swapping barrels out a whole lot, just when I shoot one out. My northland action wrench already has the alignment piece for those remage I already have, these new actions are all pinned so I just wouldnt install that part onto the wrench. I hope that the barrels will stay on a year or two in between swaps, never this 3 in one weekend stuff. I mean, I already have these other rifles all ready and set up ready to go!

And Ive thought about selling this current rem700 and 6xc to fund an impact or other really nice high dollar action but I dont really want an impact, I just want something new to play with and and my cousin getting a new action was the straw that broke the camels back.

Last edited: